• transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers News & Rumours

Old 2017-07-21, 03:23 PM   #681
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantrum View Post
Rodimus looks like a great idea (Deluxe Hotrod combines with trailer to become Leader Rodimus) executed poorly. Hoefully, they'll try again when they don't have to force the Power of the Primes gimmick on top of the combining.
I wish he was just Rodimus Prime with no Hot Rod. We've gotten so many Hot Rods in the last decade, and almost no Rodimuses. And two of the Rodimuses we did get (this and the MP) are both compromised because the designers wanted it to be Hot Rod too! The only modern Rodimus Prime toy I can think of that's just Rodimus Prime is the Titanium, and, well, yuck.

Quote:
And, am I understaning this right: the "Power of the Primes" is that the Titan Master-types figure each transform in a Matrix that can be stored in a Leader's chest? That doesn't really sound like fun. Plus, like Brawn and Roadburn, you won't be able to tell if there's a little guy in there. The fun of Headmasters is making different looking bots by swapping heads around. Why bother swapping Primes around?
It sounds like that's what it is, yeah. Seems like a pretty odd gimmick to me. But hey, if we get more TM-compatible figures and (looking at Darkwing and Dreadwind) more CW ones too, then it's not all bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
Why? I'm glad they left them in.
I was just very surprised to see it, is all. It's nice to see gimmicks like this continue on from one line to the next, but I don't know if that's ever happened before in modern lines.

Warcry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-21, 06:01 PM   #682
Tetsuro
One with the Matrix

Suomi Finland Perkele

I might just buy that Jazz mold if they redeco him into Crash---er, "Fracture".

Tetsuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-21, 08:17 PM   #683
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

I like the look of Rodimus- a big chunky daft toy (shame about the shitty looking clip on wheels, but hey-ho). Beachcomber is good and Jazz has a good alt-mode, but the robot mode? Hmm. Might be one to see in hand first, and yeah, done up as Fracture, it might hit the spot. Other stuff looks fun, if not stuff to set the pulse racing.

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-22, 12:24 AM   #684
Unicron
Time for plan bee-weeoop

Quote:
I'm assuming Starscream has some sort of gimmick to explain his badness.
I've seen it mentioned a few times, though all probably stemming from the same source, that Screamer is a combiner torso and the thus the badness.

I didn't realize Jazz was a CW-style limb. That raises his stock slightly in my view. More limb options is rarely a bad thing

Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-22, 05:42 PM   #685
HeavyArms
Unicron

Karingal, Victoria, Australia

I'm happy with Rodimus Prime although I do hope the shoulder/collar bone section is mis-transformered.

That Starscream seems oddly proportioned and I will see what comes off the mold in terms of gimmick and potential repaints.

Jazz doesn't do much for me, I don't like the grey Combiner connection showing in he's bonnet.

I'm into Dreadwing and Darkwind.

I really like Beachcomber.

I may actually consider getting Skullgrin and the other possible Pretenders.

HeavyArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-24, 01:49 PM   #686
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."

Murray, KY

http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/07/24/p...-lineup-345389

Power of the primes product info. Chance it's fake, but most likely legitimate. Dinobots, terrorcons, predacons, oh my!

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-24, 02:35 PM   #687
Tetsuro
One with the Matrix

Suomi Finland Perkele

Quote:
http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/07/24/p...-lineup-345389

Power of the primes product info. Chance it's fake, but most likely legitimate. Dinobots, terrorcons, predacons, oh my!
I'll say. "Rodimus Unicronus"?

Tetsuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-24, 03:02 PM   #688
Tantrum
Systems Analyst

Aquidneck Island, RI, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
I wish he was just Rodimus Prime with no Hot Rod. We've gotten so many Hot Rods in the last decade, and almost no Rodimuses. And two of the Rodimuses we did get (this and the MP) are both compromised because the designers wanted it to be Hot Rod too! The only modern Rodimus Prime toy I can think of that's just Rodimus Prime is the Titanium, and, well, yuck.

It sounds like that's what it is, yeah. Seems like a pretty odd gimmick to me. But hey, if we get more TM-compatible figures and (looking at Darkwing and Dreadwind) more CW ones too, then it's not all bad.
Not just an odd gimmick, but one that seems to require a significant design compromise (an opening chest compartment) for not much added fun/play value (there's a purple thing inside instead of a yellow one). Sure, Headmasters require a cockpit, but it's fun to swap heads in bot mode and have a driver in alt mode. That's worth the trade off.

A standalone Voyager rodimus Prime would be nice. I'm OK with the idea of a smaller Hot Rod becoming part of a larger Rodimus. But, adding that gimmick plus the POTM gimmick to the same toy may be compomising the figure too much. Clay's link indicates this being another line-wide gimmick: Evolution, where Leaders have Deluxes built in.

That link also shows Voyager Grimlock with the other dinos being Deluxes. Maybe that's just becuase Grimlock is a bigger name, worthy of a bigger toy. Or, maybe there's a Dinobot combiner. Hungrr's another Voyager, Inferno's based on CW Hot Spot, and I've seen the same Starscream-torso theory that Unicron has.

However, this assumes that link is accurate. It shows toys with release dates of 4/20/2017 and 7/1/2017. Have those toys been released?

That grey combiner port does look pretty bad in Jazz's chest. If it were white to match the rest of the chest, or blue to match the stripe, it probably wouldn't be so bad. One of the picks had a Prime Master in a black piece mounted on Jazz's chest. That black piece has what looks like a thumb on one side. Maybe the new HFGs can hold PM/TMs.

Tantrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-24, 07:16 PM   #689
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Feels overegged as a leak? Some of the Pretender stuff looks genuine, Classic Autobot and Dinobot combiners versus Predaking and Abominus makes sense, etc. But I wouldn't be surprised if a fair bit of this doesn't happen.

Assume the Predacons are upscaled deluxes like happened with Devastator.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-25, 05:06 AM   #690
Gouki
Not a robot.

Australia.

The rumour is this leaked from a retailers meeting, which is why it's so detailed of products.

All I care about is the Hun-Gurr being real. And Slag/Slug.

Gouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-25, 04:35 PM   #691
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Apparently Hasbro's gone around and forced all the major sites to pull the images, which is as good as confirming that this is legit leaked info.

Quote:
Dinobots, terrorcons, predacons, oh my!
YAY TERRORCONS! A full set of Dinobots would be cool too, though I'm not interested in them combining (assuming that rumour is true) and I don't like Grimlock being bigger than the others, so I may wind up buying Slag, Sludge, Snarl and Swoop (if they're good) to go with Classics Grimlock instead. Unless Voyager Grimlock is super awesome, anyway.

Anyway, this stuff is way more interesting than the stuff they actually showed off.

Quote:
However, this assumes that link is accurate. It shows toys with release dates of 4/20/2017 and 7/1/2017. Have those toys been released?
I think they were Asian exclusives of some sort? I don't really pay much attention to movie stuff but I seem to remember hearing about those molds being rereleased.

Quote:
One of the picks had a Prime Master in a black piece mounted on Jazz's chest. That black piece has what looks like a thumb on one side. Maybe the new HFGs can hold PM/TMs.
The Pretender shells transform into guns, so maybe it was one of those?

Warcry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-25, 04:43 PM   #692
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Yeah, and can't see why they'd bother in these days of social media. And I'd say the retailers are increasingly in the position of power.

Old 2017-07-25, 11:36 PM   #693
Gouki
Not a robot.

Australia.

Quote:
No, it appears to be the Titans Return Hot Rod from this year.

EDIT: Actually, it looks like a new mold altogether.
Seems they've decided on a design/transformation style for G1 Hot Rod toys they really like and it's going to stick around forever.

Gouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-28, 03:02 AM   #694
Heinrad
Ironmod

Riskin' it all on my Russian Roulette!

I just got a better look at what the Hot Rod figure will look like. I don't think Power of the Primes Roddy is on my 'must have' list anymore.....

Heinrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-02, 07:09 PM   #695
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

At a guess, what the Grimlock is likely to take design cues from:

https://www.facebook.com/emiliano.sa...88589954486981

https://i.imgur.com/Bfy08BC.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/uC8urJD.jpg

Old 2017-08-20, 01:12 AM   #696
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."

Murray, KY
Red face

Movie Masterpiece Optimus Prime. I found it today.

[/ode to joy]

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mmpop.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	11680  
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-02, 08:58 PM   #697
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Thumbs up

Kind of cool in a Pretender-inner-robot kind of way...

http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/09/02/n...edium=facebook

https://i.imgur.com/SvKb8qe.jpg

Old 2017-09-02, 09:39 PM   #698
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Wait, what the ****?

https://i.imgur.com/2wAsXk0.jpg

(Yes, I know what a fidget cube is...)

Old 2017-09-03, 03:02 PM   #699
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

That is not going to go down well with the bloated basement-dwellers the line has been catering for recently.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-04, 06:30 PM   #700
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

I don't know what a fidget cube is (and don't feel I'm missing out by not knowing). If Hasbro think they can make a few bucks from this, then fair enough. Waste of resources though, and probably likely to be as popular as those bobble-head thingies.

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote