• transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers News & Rumours

Old 2018-03-24, 04:46 PM   #761
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."

Murray, KY

Here are the predacons individually, and as Predaking

They're... interesting. It's quite clever how they all share some parts to contribute to the torso, making the combined mode's proportions nice and clean, but at the same time it compromises the individuals pretty badly. At a glance, Tantrum and Headstrong carry the upper legs on their backs, Rampage and Divebomb carry the left and right parts of the torso on their backs, and Divebomb's backpack/wings fold out to form the lower torso and waist.

If they were smaller and cheaper, I'd be on board. As it is, they seem oversized and lack all (any of?) their weapons.

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-25, 10:52 AM   #762
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

As with CW Devastator, it looks like the individual components have been designed to make the gestalt work. Must be tough being a toy designer and having safety/ drop tests etc to contend with. Its the beast modes that suffer the most for me. Rampage in particular looks like G1 Pounce - all big boxy body and tiny wee legs. Likewise, everyone bar Razorclaw suffers with a tiny beast head. Robot modes all look great (even allowing for the chunk of leg hanging off the backs of Tantrum and Headstrong) and Predaking looks excellent.

Tbh, I'm not bothered for the swords. Whilst its nice to have additional weapons and such, I do feel the originals came with too many weapons. There's just not enough places to keep them all! I honestly don't miss the G1 days of having a fist full of parts to lump around with the toy, although I understand that it's important for folk to have them.

I'm still excited for the set, I think the compromises are fair enough and this is an improvement on the originals, who have their own share of problems.

One thing I have been pondering on with the Prime Masters, is why they didn't make them like Power Master Engines (in terms of design) instead of these odd power-up patterns...

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-25, 02:57 PM   #763
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

I'm getting Predaking definitely. I'm not too worried about the individual weapons though it would be cool if they gave each figure a sword and had all 5 fit together to make a large sword for Predaking. Obviously Tantrum and Headstrong can use the combiner feet as weapons, hopefully the other 3 will also have some part of the combined mode to use as an individual weapon along the lines of what Hasbro did with the Constructicons. That's all I really need TBH.

I'm looking forward to seeing what other deluxes are coming for this line. I want to see the rest of the Elita-1, Starscream and Inferno Combiners.

Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-26, 12:39 PM   #764
Clay

Murray, KY

Predaking should at least have his sword.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound View Post
I'm looking forward to seeing what other deluxes are coming for this line. I want to see the rest of the Elita-1, Starscream and Inferno Combiners.
Going by combiner wars as an example, I wouldn't expect all of them necessarily to get full limb sets. However, it is funny to see people on the big boards freaking out and thinking waves 1-3 are the full line. I remember not knowing about Mindwipe in TR until he was nearly released, and he was just wave 3.

I also had a thought. Titans Return saw the release of Black Shadow as a pre-tool of Overlord, even though Black Shadow was originally the Takara version of Thunderwing. Maybe they've held Thunderwing back so he can be a matrix-bearer in POTP? Black Shadow's chest already opens up, albeit not enough to accommodate the width of the little matrices the current leader figures come with. But if it happens, I CALLED IT.

Old 2018-03-26, 08:19 PM   #765
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

Hasbro should do a version of Crossblades/Blue Bacchus just because I really want that.

Also, they better give me Chromia and Arcee limbs for the Elita-1 combiner or I will be very disappoint.

Last edited by Hound; 2018-03-26 at 08:30 PM.
Old 2018-03-27, 06:38 PM   #766
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Can't say that Predaking does much for me. I guess I feel about the same as I did with Devastator. I'd be happy getting a fully CW-compatible set of Predacons, but at the larger scale and with no cross-compatibility, it's hard not to look at it and only see the flaws. Minimal accessories, maximum kibble, clunky individual robots and what looks like very simple engineering.

The fact that there are so many actually good third-party Predakings bouncing around at the same size bracket probably don't help matters either. I know this'll probably cost 1/3 of what Feral Rex did, but it's still hard not to draw the comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
Going by combiner wars as an example, I wouldn't expect all of them necessarily to get full limb sets. However, it is funny to see people on the big boards freaking out and thinking waves 1-3 are the full line. I remember not knowing about Mindwipe in TR until he was nearly released, and he was just wave 3.
The box pics show the likes of Starscream and Elita with a hodgepodge of random limbs, don't they? That makes me think that they're definitely not planning to give them full teams. I guess you could put Darkwing and Dreadwind with Starscream, Firestar and Moonracer with Elita and Jazz with Inferno, but we'll already be into wave four before we get any more. And we don't know yet who those Voyagers are going to be. For all we know the couple waves could be focused on the Seacons and Pretender Monsters/Dinoking, all retooled from various Dinobots and Terrorcons, with no more random limbs in the pipe at all.

Quote:
I also had a thought. Titans Return saw the release of Black Shadow as a pre-tool of Overlord, even though Black Shadow was originally the Takara version of Thunderwing. Maybe they've held Thunderwing back so he can be a matrix-bearer in POTP? Black Shadow's chest already opens up, albeit not enough to accommodate the width of the little matrices the current leader figures come with. But if it happens, I CALLED IT.
I've been waiting for that since they first included Thunderwing in the fan poll. But Hasbro have been hinting that all the POTP Leaders will be Autobots, apparently? So I'm not getting my hopes up too much.

If they did go this route, my hope would be that they'd tool up a new set of legs for Thunderwing, something to give him a more G1-accurate look. Maybe have it transform into something based on his inner Pretender robot's jet mode? Though I suppose if they want to keep with the theme of the other POTP leaders it'd have to have a robot mode as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound View Post
Hasbro should do a version of Crossblades/Blue Bacchus just because I really want that.
I would go nuts for a Blue Bacchus that goes well with TR Black Shadow. Crossblades is fine too I guess, but nowhere near as exciting. I tend to forget that he and Vroom even exist.

Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-30, 12:36 AM   #767
Clay

Murray, KY

Bumblebee Movie Masterpiece (solo movie version)

Apparently he's a VW bug that turns into the movie Bumblebee. And to think, it was just 15 years or so ago that Volkswagen were too skittish to let Has/Tak make a Binaltech Bumblebee because of the implied violence of being a warrior robot.

(That Soundwave killshot makes me squee a little every time, in fairness.)

Old 2018-03-30, 06:44 AM   #768
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

I wondered if there might be after that Herbie looking poster at NYTF promoting the film.

Old 2018-04-17, 12:24 PM   #769
Clay

Murray, KY

POTP Nemesis Prime

New heads, weapons, and a bird thing!

Old 2018-04-27, 01:38 AM   #770
Clay

Murray, KY
Smile

Magazine scans of Predaking showing all modes and how they combine.

Apparently the arm cannon divides up into guns for Rampage, Divebomb, and Razorclaw. Tantrum and Headstrong just have the combiner feet as weapons.

Old 2018-04-29, 12:15 AM   #771
Tantrum
Systems Analyst

Aquidneck Island, RI, USA

I'm not impressed with the Predacons. They just gave the 4 limb cons giant backpacks so Razorclaw didn't have to form very much of Predaking's torso. It's like they form Razorclaw's Evolution armor.

It works in that Razorclaw looks to be a good standalone figure. My only compaint is his mane pattern baldness. The G1 figure has the lion head in the center of a full mane. This guy's got almost nothing on top of the lion head. It makes the lion head sit too high on Predaking's chest.

Tantrum and Headstrong have pretty spindly rear legs in beast mode. It'd've been nice if the Predaking thigh each of them carries underneath were used to form the beast legs so they'd be bulkier. The backpacks not doing anything but connect to Divebomb's backpack remind me of G1 Long Haul not actually connecting to any other Constructicons, just to combiner kibble. Except now instead of the combiner kibble being separate pieces that can be lost, it just gets carried around awkwardly.

I've usually, if not always, seen Tantrum as the right leg, and Headstrong as the left. They've reversed that here. Can they be swapped? If it's possible, you'd lose the yellow on the thighs since it's only on one side of Headstrong's thigh piece (photo 7 of the Predacon set).

I've seen Divebomb and Rampage on either side of Predaking. I wonder if they can be switched. It depends on if the backpack connection to Razorclaw is symmetrical or not. Also, Divebomb has 2 backpacks, right? Predaking's shoulder and the wings/waist.

Rampage looks OK, except for the bot backpack and gun tail. The rear legs forming the bot feet reminds me of TR Twinferno. The rear thighs seem kind of pain, though, like they made them functional, then didn't bother with aesthetics. They did a good job incorporating Predaking's shoulder into the tiger body.

Tantrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-29, 09:40 AM   #772
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

I think they'll be great toys to play with, although I agree that the spindly beast legs and so on are distracting enough to slightly the spoil the figures. Still excited for them though!

I saw those Movie Studio series figures in my local Smyths, and after being initially quite interested, I'm now disappointed by them. Bumblebee and Stinger look really plain and Ratchet being a Deluxe was puzzling and they've brought out a Crowbar, so at least the Dreds are all now represented in plastic. They're all very small though and some how less impressive than the previous retail movie releases. It's a shame, as I thought these would be akin to the MCU Legends line which celebrates 10 years of those films. I guess there's just not the budget to do these justice. Although the detailing and engineering is there, the lack of paint apps and cheap-ass clip on wheels don't scream 'premium' to me, unless I'm missing the point. Still, at 21 each, they were an easy pass.

Old 2018-04-30, 03:47 PM   #773
ganon578
GO BLUE!

NoCo

Quote:
POTP Nemesis Prime

New heads, weapons, and a bird thing!
Yep. Didn't think I needed another leader figure, but that thing is sexy. I might just have to get it. Looks like an Amazon exclusive too, link pages provided within:

Nemesis Prime

I wonder how quick it will go since it's an online deal, and you don't have to hunt physical Walgreens or something to find it.

Predaking looks OK to me, but he's so ginormous and expensive I don't think I could get one. At the size and the price, I'd prefer to go back and buy a used CW Devastator. Kinda miffed I can't get a solitary Tantrum too, as he's the only Predacon I had back when I was a kid.

And as for the extra combiner limbs, I would be happy if they filled out a couple of the lesser known 'Seekers' like Acid Storm and Sunstorm for Starscream - not that it would happen, just wishing. They would just be the repainted mold from the Takara Legends Ghost Starscream figure. Might not be the most sensible, but at least I would be happy.

ganon578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-13, 12:37 PM   #774
Clay

Murray, KY
Smile

Next Voyager in the studio series is... ironhide! Apparently he comes in a wave with optimus prime without any changes from wave one.

https://www.seibertron.com/transform...ronhide/41394/

Last edited by Clay; 2018-06-13 at 12:57 PM.
Old 2018-06-25, 09:50 AM   #775
Clay

Murray, KY

Blastoff in package.

I think this is a walgreen's exclusive?

Old 2018-06-25, 03:13 PM   #776
ganon578
GO BLUE!

NoCo

Quote:
Blastoff in package.

I think this is a walgreen's exclusive?
Looks nice. I hope I can find one around me if they're at Walgreens - I seem to have fairly good luck with their exclusives. They've got him on Robot Kindom, but I don't want to pay the premium they have him for.

I think I'll swap him on Bruticus and use the jet-mold Blast-Off to go with Starscream, Darkwing, and Dreadwind. Now I'll just need one more Decepticon jet limb. Which I hope they reveal more at SDCC.

ganon578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-25, 05:51 PM   #777
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Okay, could get behind that having been reminded that the toy-style chest is an option, which I think I knew at some point and forgot. More something to look out for at a convention than hunt down though.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-26, 01:39 PM   #778
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

Is that going to be the only way to get Megatronus? Because if it is that's ****ed up. I already have the Takara version of Blast Off.

Old 2018-06-26, 09:33 PM   #779
Tantrum
Systems Analyst

Aquidneck Island, RI, USA

Megatronus also comes with Bomb-Burst, a Wave 3 Prime Master. I think they're different decos, though, with Bomb-Burst's being solid, and Blast-off's being translucent.

Tantrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-02, 06:14 PM   #780
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Not sure from the description how much they've screwed anyone trying to complete a prime masters collection (haven't been keeping track of the other releases);

http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/07/02/s...edium=facebook

https://imgur.com/w8etD90

Quite like the deco but if they do a Primal Prime with a relatively normal colours Primal and I haven't already gone for the Optimal Optimus initial release that'd be ideal, personally.

Although the munky mode of the SDCC one does look very swish. Not nice enough to curse Hasbro and give up collecting the line/TFs, but at a sane price it'd be worth picking up.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote