The Transformers Archive Skip to main content / Also skip section headers

[The Transformers Archive - an international fan site]
Please feel free to log in or register.

 
  • transformers toys
  • transformers comics
  • transformers cartoon
  • transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers News & Rumours

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2015-01-22, 09:08 AM   #81
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix
 
Skyquake87's Avatar
 
Default

I'm not fussy. Personally, I like the new additions to the team. Alpha Bravo is a wicked little helicopter. The Firefly mould is excellent, so I might be tempted to double dip on that.

Question is, what do you do with the additional team members...?
 
Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-22, 09:29 AM   #82
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster
 
inflatable dalek's Avatar
 
Kidderminster UK
Default

Does the Prime actually have a team to combine with? These guys could at least give him some legs.
 
inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-22, 02:59 PM   #83
Knightdramon
Primus
 
Knightdramon's Avatar
 
York, UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
Pretty fiendish of them to announce that after folks have forked out for the new guys.
That's -exactly- what's been going on for the past 2 or so years man. Even before that if I dig back.

For AOE, didn't they announce like all the "platinum" versions of all the characters 1-2 months after everybody bought everything? And then went even further with LDR Prime, who got a major remould and repaint for takara's line?

AOE basically rewarded folks for not outright buying anything
 
Knightdramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-22, 03:15 PM   #84
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."
 
Clay's Avatar
 
Murray, KY
Question

To be fair, did Hasbro ever intimate that Slingshot wasn't coming anyway? The package shots show Superion with both Alpha Bravo AND a Dragstrip for limbs.
 
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-22, 03:50 PM   #85
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door
 
Cliffjumper's Avatar
 
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightdramon View Post
Even before that if I dig back.
Movie Premium figs from 2007/8, not to mention all those little "running changes" where QC/design etc. couldn't be ****ed to sort stuff first.

Mind, it's also okay to not bother sorting speech bubbles and the like in comics then fix it for the trades. Or, bluntly, sticking a ****-ton of original material not avaliable elsewhere in trades. Or reissuing some vintage G1 figure with bonus accessories or a cassette people have heard of. Boat's probably sailed on that one.

I'd actually like the idea of a five-member combiner you could get more than five figures for, much more choice - any way you can do Superion without Slingshot is good because Slingshot's a knob. It's certainly a really fun way to do repaints and retools - a Decepticon retool of Air Raid that could do on a Bruticus without having to crack out a whole team to go with him, that sort of thing. I'd like G1 Defensor a lot more if there was a serious alternative to Groove.
 

Last edited by Cliffjumper; 2015-01-22 at 08:43 PM. Reason: *without* Slingshot, Slingshot's a knob.
Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-22, 05:25 PM   #86
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.
 
Warcry's Avatar
 
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
Pretty fiendish of them to announce that after folks have forked out for the new guys.
Oh, they haven't actually announced it yet. It's just been leaked. I'd imagine they would have preferred to keep a lid on it for even longer so they could sell even more Alpha Bravos and, uh...whoever that new Stunticon guy is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
Presumably Slingshot will be getting better from being dead in the comics.
Was he dead? I thought it was more like "we don't know how to fix him" and he was in a coma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyquake87 View Post
I'm not fussy. Personally, I like the new additions to the team. Alpha Bravo is a wicked little helicopter.
Alpha Bravo does look cool, but he's almost certainly going to be used for Blades and/or Vortex as well. I think a lot of people will pass on him in favour of those guys now that word of a Slingshot release is out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
Does the Prime actually have a team to combine with? These guys could at least give him some legs.
I think they were redecoing the Stunticons as a few Autobot cars in reference to that Masquerade cartoon episode. A lot of folks assumed they were meant to go with Prime, though I don't think we've seen any proof of that yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
I'd actually like the idea of a five-member combiner you could get more than five figures for, much more choice - any way you can do Superion with Slingshot is good because Slingshot's a knob. It's certainly a really fun way to do repaints and retools - a Decepticon retool of Air Raid that could do on a Bruticus without having to crack out a whole team to go with him, that sort of thing. I'd like G1 Defensor a lot more if there was a serious alternative to Groove.
I definitely think it'll be fun for kids, since it really plays up the whole "scramble" element that the old combiners never really made good on. Even though you could combine the G1 toys with whoever, the show and other marketing always pushed the idea of them as teams. Having a bunch of extra limbs this time around will probably help push that mix-and-match play pattern, especially since they toy packaging doesn't seem to be pushing which teams are "supposed" to go together (like Clay says, the "Superion" on the first-wave package has a Stunticon in it because he's in that wave).
 
Warcry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-22, 07:49 PM   #87
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing
 
Denyer's Avatar
 
UK
Default

I like Alpha Bravo, but definitely want a Slingshot one way or another...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
I'd actually like the idea of a five-member combiner you could get more than five figures for
Exactly. Have a whole bloody fleet of them -- it's the only way combiners would work as a more realistic concept, because component members would be killed left, right and centre.
 
Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-22, 08:56 PM   #88
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door
 
Cliffjumper's Avatar
 
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
Was he dead? I thought it was more like "we don't know how to fix him" and he was in a coma.
I dunno, it'd be pretty odd for a Transformer to come back from the dead, especially in a comic.

Quote:
I definitely think it'll be fun for kids, since it really plays up the whole "scramble" element that the old combiners never really made good on. Even though you could combine the G1 toys with whoever, the show and other marketing always pushed the idea of them as teams. Having a bunch of extra limbs this time around will probably help push that mix-and-match play pattern, especially since they toy packaging doesn't seem to be pushing which teams are "supposed" to go together (like Clay says, the "Superion" on the first-wave package has a Stunticon in it because he's in that wave).
That's what I'd really be hoping for, TBH. I'm sure as kids we all mucked around with combining Blades, Vortex, Motormaster, Skydive and Lightspeed even if we knew they weren't proper. While I personally enjoy the design diversity of, say, Rail Racer or how handy it is to get combiners so cheaply as boxed sets I'm a collector with the means to buy them in that fashion. Kids will still get told that they pick one off the peg in the shop we're in now or they get nothing and I think the brand needs to reconnect with those kids rather than making things wilfully difficult for them.

Given today's tech meaning combiner limb members don't need to be a brick with alt mode parts hanging off on hinges there's a lot of scope for 'sneaking' the gimmick on all sorts of toys without compromising either figure. Not go Mugenbine crazy but certainly worth a look for toys of the right size class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denyer View Post
I like Alpha Bravo, but definitely want a Slingshot one way or another...
His head's orange! He's an idiot in War Dawn!

Quote:
Exactly. Have a whole bloody fleet of them -- it's the only way combiners would work as a more realistic concept, because component members would be killed left, right and centre.
Bang on. A weird random memory from childhood was being incredibly bothered about Megatron popping Brawl's head like an egg in the comic was that it took Bruticus out of the mix totally. Though Megatron popping Brawl's head like an egg was pretty disturbing in its' own right.

Combining is a concept I'm not actually fond of in the fiction - the various personalities of quintets of capable Transformers always seem to make some massive retard who's a complete liability. Conversely on toys it's an incredibly fun concept, especially now the tech's caught up.
 
Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-22, 10:19 PM   #89
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.
 
Warcry's Avatar
 
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
I dunno, it'd be pretty odd for a Transformer to come back from the dead, especially in a comic.
I know, it's practically unheard of!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
Given today's tech meaning combiner limb members don't need to be a brick with alt mode parts hanging off on hinges there's a lot of scope for 'sneaking' the gimmick on all sorts of toys without compromising either figure. Not go Mugenbine crazy but certainly worth a look for toys of the right size class.
Honestly I don't know how many kids will even get a chance to put one of these combiners together, let alone try to assemble a "proper" team. Four Deluxes and a Voyager is a lot of cash compared to the old combiners, when the limbs were pocket-money impulse-buy fodder. I wonder if four Scouts and a Deluxe (like the Energon guys) might have been a better choice marketing-wise. I wouldn't be surprised to see a box set or two pop up around Christmas time, though, aside from the Devastator we already know about.

I hope that their willingness to toss in random guys will extend to some of the later combiner teams, though. Some Technobots, Seacons and Terrorcons would be nice, even if the line doesn't last long enough to release the entire teams.
 
Warcry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-22, 10:29 PM   #90
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door
 
Cliffjumper's Avatar
 
Smile

The cost for kids isn't great, no - but a system with as many combining figures as possible could make it work better in the current wave system. It wasn't *that* hard to collect, say, Defensor when he shipped for two or three years.

However, here the plan will surely be to have, say, Air Raid only on the shelves for a couple of months before a new wave overtakes him, so it'd be nice if there was, say, a Dogfight or Tread Bolt retool/recolour to help kids finish their Autobot jet combiner even if they don't get the G1 five. Which might be more in-line with a kid's spending for the year.

And a steady bleed of mould reuse would obviously work for the fanboys too. Seeing as we have a team of planes and a team of cars there's plenty of scope for much mould reuse.

Fiction-wise they really need to drop the merged mind thing. Why not just have the team leader controlling this new, powerful body? That's why they're team leaders, right? Why put the Decepticons' greatest field strategistic as the torso of a big moron? Why does the Autobots' second medical officer have to double-time as some guy's arm? Easier to acheive surely from an in-universe tech point of view and it'd make the combined robots a lot more formidable. It'd also mean you could combine whoever with whoever.
 
Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-22, 10:41 PM   #91
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix
 
Skyquake87's Avatar
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
I hope that their willingness to toss in random guys will extend to some of the later combiner teams, though. Some Technobots, Seacons and Terrorcons would be nice, even if the line doesn't last long enough to release the entire teams.
I hope the line's popular enough to warrant some of the later guys too. Marketing seems a bit muted though and the focus isn't on this line like perhaps it could (should?) be, with a new cartoon for an unrelated part of the franchise to push this year and AoE hanging around.

The RRP is probably going to be the killer though. I can't see casual consumers paying the 16 the deluxe limbs go for over a chump change Legends/ Cyberverse figure that costs 6. Or the simple one-step changers that are around 10 and seem to be what is creeping into shelf space previously occupied by the deluxe class in a lot of retailers.

I'm finding with each successive increase in price in what was Hasbro's key size class, they're offering less and less value for money against a Voyager class toy that's only 6 more.

I think - at least over here - the CW toys are going to live and die on fanboy trade (and most of that will likely be lost to overseas websites which offer better value through exchange rates etc) and that seems a massive waste. IMO, I'd like to see Hasbro reining in their offering a bit. The new RID cartoon's supporting toyline seems to be following the AoE pattern of spewing out upteen versions of the same character in various size classes / complexity - the CW toys seem to be bang on in offering good, well engineered posable toys that are quick to transform, of a good quality and well, fun! (I have my three quarters complete assembled Superion - with Drag Strip - eagerly awaiting Skydive ) I can't see younger fingers struggling with these in the same way they might have done with ROTF Leader Prime.
 
Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-23, 01:29 AM   #92
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."
 
Clay's Avatar
 
Murray, KY
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
I know, it's practically unheard of!


Honestly I don't know how many kids will even get a chance to put one of these combiners together, let alone try to assemble a "proper" team. Four Deluxes and a Voyager is a lot of cash compared to the old combiners, when the limbs were pocket-money impulse-buy fodder.
I dunno, I think it's about the same actually. We know from old store catalog scans that the Scramble-style limb guys were sold for $5 each and the torso guys were $12. According the US Government's site about the history of minimum wage increases, the minimum hourly wage was raised to $3.35 in 1981 and stayed there until 1989, or the bulk of the run of the original line. 5*4+12=$32 for a full set (whereas gift sets were $28), which would've taken about 10 hours worth of work at the minimum pay rate allowed to accumulate. Now we have $15 limbs and $25 torsos. 15*4+25=$85 for a full set, and at the current minimum wage of $7.25 an hour, that would take about... twelve hours to accumulate. But! The toys now are bigger, more articulated, and I think unarguably more durable than what was marketed back in the heyday.

So yeah... it's about the same. If anything, it illustrates just how expensive the toys used to be instead of the opposite.
 
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-23, 05:13 AM   #93
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.
 
Warcry's Avatar
 
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
The cost for kids isn't great, no - but a system with as many combining figures as possible could make it work better in the current wave system. It wasn't *that* hard to collect, say, Defensor when he shipped for two or three years.
True enough. And even if you didn't get Defensor per se, you could still cobble together a combiner with a Stunticon, two Protectobots, a Technobot and a Seacon over the years. With this, though? Who knows how long this stuff will be around.

I'm not just thinking of the individual figures (which, like you say, probably won't stick around more than three months), but the theme in general. There were Scramble City-type combiners available for, what, a decade straight if we count G2? Whereas Combiner Wars probably won't last more than eighteen months going by previous Hasbro line refreshes, and every time they revisit the combiner theme in modern times some bright light decides it's a brilliant idea to rework the connectors so they're not compatible with the last set they did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
However, here the plan will surely be to have, say, Air Raid only on the shelves for a couple of months before a new wave overtakes him, so it'd be nice if there was, say, a Dogfight or Tread Bolt retool/recolour to help kids finish their Autobot jet combiner even if they don't get the G1 five. Which might be more in-line with a kid's spending for the year.
As long as that means they give me a G2 Skydive, I'll happily endorse any amount of mold reuse! And like you say, it'll help the kids assemble a team even if it's not the team.

Though I hope redecos don't choke out the potential for new molds. Tossing out a new Aerialbot or Stunticon to break up a wave of Predacons is fine, but solid cases of redecos probably wouldn't do too much for the line's sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyquake87 View Post
I'm finding with each successive increase in price in what was Hasbro's key size class, they're offering less and less value for money against a Voyager class toy that's only 6 more.
Can't disagree with that. Five years ago a Voyager cost nearly three times as much as a Deluxe in these parts. Nowadays they're less than double, and while the quality of the Deluxes has gone downhill quite noticeably from the halcyon days around 2008 to 2011 the Voyagers have if anything gotten better. Meanwhile, the new Legends figures are good simple fun and often seem to be higher quality than their bigger cousins. Honestly, if not for some mild curiosity re: Combiner Wars I'd be just about ready to give up on Deluxes entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
I dunno, I think it's about the same actually. We know from old store catalog scans that the Scramble-style limb guys were sold for $5 each and the torso guys were $12. According the US Government's site about the history of minimum wage increases, the minimum hourly wage was raised to $3.35 in 1981 and stayed there until 1989, or the bulk of the run of the original line. 5*4+12=$32 for a full set (whereas gift sets were $28), which would've taken about 10 hours worth of work at the minimum pay rate allowed to accumulate. Now we have $15 limbs and $25 torsos. 15*4+25=$85 for a full set, and at the current minimum wage of $7.25 an hour, that would take about... twelve hours to accumulate. But! The toys now are bigger, more articulated, and I think unarguably more durable than what was marketed back in the heyday.
That's not really the best indicator, though, since (in spite of big business's efforts) most of us don't work for minimum wage. Looking up a few inflation calculators, they all seem to agree that $32 in 1986 equals around $70 in today's money. And that actually lines up pretty closely to the hypothetical "four Scouts and a Deluxe" combiners that I was musing about earlier.

Today's $85 combiner would be the equivalent of a $40 one in the 80s -- which means you'd have been able to buy all the Aerialbots and still have enough left over for First Aid and Beachcomber. It's not a huge gap, but there definitely is one.

Combine that with the fact that real salaries have struggled to even keep pace with inflation over the last few decades, and the gulf is even more stark. Then on top of that, add in the fact that kids don't just want toys anymore. Electronics take up a way bigger chunk of the budget a parent sets aside for their kids' entertainment these days, which means that there is comparatively less left to go around for toys than in our day. Then toss in the limited shelf life of both individual toys and toyline gimmicks, and you've got a recipe for thousands of kids left with with 3/5s or 4/5s of a super-robot.

I actually do agree with your point that modern toys are a better value than their 80s counterparts. But once you toss in all the other mitigating factors, I think the price is still going to be off-putting.
 
Warcry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-23, 09:20 PM   #94
Notabot
Lutheran
 
Notabot's Avatar
 
Lowden, IA
Default

Despite all the inflation projections and what-not, I think the average person/family has WAAAY more disposable income than in the 80s. The point about kids not wanting (or having) just toys really emphasizes that. Granted, we have WAAAY more things to dispose income on (personal electronics just weren't a thing), but thinking back to my childhood, the rich (spoiled) kids had the equivalent of what is fairly commonplace these days.

That said, I do agree that having a figure available in 1-1.5 waves makes it almost certain that only we man-child collectors will have all the ones we want. Lil' Timmy is going to get what is on the shelf around Easter and his birthday, and his parents probably won't be driving him to Walmart once a week to check if the new wave is in so he can spend his allowance.

And yes, it would have been awesome if we could have had inter-generational combining. Without duct tape, that is.
 
Notabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-23, 09:33 PM   #95
numbat
Legends Class
 
numbat's Avatar
 
Scotland, UK
Default

Superglue?
 
numbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-25, 12:21 AM   #96
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."
 
Clay's Avatar
 
Murray, KY
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
I'd like G1 Defensor a lot more if there was a serious alternative to Groove.
Not for the original mind you, but it seems that you're getting your wish for the Combiner Wars version. Here's the first tease of Hot Spot and Groove (on the right hand side; Arielbots on the left and Motormaster/Blackjack in the middle). Groove has been demoted to Targetmaster for this version. I'm okay with that.
 
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-28, 11:20 PM   #97
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."
 
Clay's Avatar
 
Murray, KY
Red face

Here's an out-of-focus, small, and obscured image of Titan Devastator
 
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1978849_603024199797087_5224819073436592702_n_1422460131.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	10546  
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-29, 01:09 AM   #98
Unicron
Time for plan bee-weeoop
 
Unicron's Avatar
 
Default

Saw that earlier. Tells us a very important thing: No Prowl (at least as an included thing. Could possibly be a sold separately add-on/replacement figure).
 
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-29, 03:50 PM   #99
Notabot
Lutheran
 
Notabot's Avatar
 
Lowden, IA
Default

He's huge! And it's weird that they put him in a suit and gave him a shaved head like that.
 
Notabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-29, 06:28 PM   #100
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster
 
inflatable dalek's Avatar
 
Kidderminster UK
Default

Seibertron are offering $50 to anyone who can take a better pic they won't share with any other site.
 
inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
 
 
[the-hub.co.uk]
[transfans.co.uk]
[oneshallstand]
[unicron.com]
[counter-x.net]
[ntfa.net]
[allspark.com]
[transformertoys.co.uk]
[tfu.info]
[botchthecrab.com]
[obscure_tf]
[tfradio.net]
 

[TFArchive button]
Link graphics...

BOOKMARK US
Or in FF, hit Ctrl+D.