• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Media & Fandom

Old 2002-05-03, 11:02 PM   #41
Galvatron's Wrath

Quote:
Originally posted by Buzzsaw
hey does anyone know of any episodes with buzzsaw in it? I've been looking but I can't remember and I think there was at least one with him in it (i suspect it was season 2) but that might just be a hallucination on my part

Buzzsaw showed up in the episode Atlantis Arise. He was shown being shot down by Swoop.

Old 2002-05-07, 12:10 AM   #42
Computron
Welsh & Proud

Cardiff, Wales

Some other characters that would have been cool to see in the cartoon were the Jumpstarters. I know people dislike them but I thought they were cool and their advanced cybertrronian modes could of been used well in the cartoon (still the cartoon writers would have probably screwed it up )

I support a ban on powerposting
Computron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-05-18, 04:39 PM   #43
Mabus
Headmaster

S. L'derry, N. Ireland, U.K.

Why they were underutuilzed etc?

Maybe once the peak sales for a Transformer toy where reached they probably decided to not bother using them as much. (only a maybe)

Mabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-05-18, 07:03 PM   #44
Starscreamsghost
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Buzzsaw
hey does anyone know of any episodes with buzzsaw in it?
Hmmm...he shows up in a few. I know for sure that he's in City of Steel, and I'm pretty sure he turns up in Atlantis Arise and Auto Berserk...oh yeah, and he's in The Insecticon Syndrome. 4 episodes.

Starscreamsghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-05-19, 07:10 PM   #45
Auntie Slag
Satisfaction guaranteed !

Cambridge, UK

I like to read the fanfics over at the Lexicon site now. They are brilliantly written, and concentrate on all the characters that I used to complain about never getting characterisation or screen time. I know they're not canon, but they sure are good. So far I've read some excellent stories concentrating on Bluestreak, Hound and Thundercracker to name a few, really delving into their characters, with no constraints to speak of i.e. time, length, cost. And these people KNOW their TF's personalities.

I just thought I'd mention this rather than my standard whinging complaint.

Auntie Slag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-05-19, 07:55 PM   #46
Luda-Chris

Australia

Blurr, Springer, Hound, Cyclonus, Scourge , Thundercracker and skywarpfro reasons already mentioned..........and the the terrorcons, they were pretty successful in their missions in the cartoon, and they looked cool, and if used right they could have been the Decepticon version of the dinobots, yet they formed a gesealt

Cyclonus & Blurr......
Gods among Machines
Luda-Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-05-19, 11:01 PM   #47
Dinobot
I Am Leeds

Northern Ireland

There are so many that were under utilized but here are a few that I felt particularly got a raw deal:

Shockwave - In the comics this guy was one of, if not the best character. In the cartoon he was a joke. Used rarely and when he was he was a Megatron brown noser. "Laserbeak returns Megatron" and "Decepticons we're under attack! Scramble!" - that was his part in the movie. Ridiculous.

Springer - This guy was cool. I wonder what it would have been like if he had been the chosen one rather than Hot Rod.

Soundwave - Got a lot of air time but should have had more of the story centred around him.

Cyclonus - One of the coolest Deceptiocns ever. Would have been nice to see him seize command from Galvatron.

Scourge - See Cyclonus.

I'll probably post more later after I re-familiarise myself with the cartoon series.

"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds, along with the good - and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."
Dinobot - Code Of Hero
Dinobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-05-19, 11:28 PM   #48
The_Dinobots
Banned

In The Lizardmen Temple Contemplating how to finish the Old Ones Plans

Although The Dinobots were shown I believe Sludge,Snarl,Slag and Swoop were the most under used charaters. I believe they had more potentional to be used in the cartoon.

The_Dinobots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-05-20, 12:13 AM   #49
Dinobot
I Am Leeds

Northern Ireland

Quote:
Originally posted by The_Dinobots
Although The Dinobots were shown I believe Sludge,Snarl,Slag and Swoop were the most under used charaters. I believe they had more potentional to be used in the cartoon.
Agreed. They should also have been more like the comic - defiant and not as dumb as door posts.

"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds, along with the good - and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."
Dinobot - Code Of Hero
Dinobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-05-20, 07:22 PM   #50
The_Dinobots
Banned

In The Lizardmen Temple Contemplating how to finish the Old Ones Plans

I Agree Completely....Comic Dinobots are better

The_Dinobots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-05-21, 07:39 PM   #51
Starscreamer

Georgia!

Thundercracker and Skywarp

BRAWN

Shockwave

Alpha Trion

Starscreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-21, 12:56 AM   #52
Rob9

Easy:

Thundercraker- his story could have been really interesting and it would have been nice to see him actually defect to the autobots.

Blitzwing- for his series 3 story arc where he is the only decepticon to suspect the quintessons. After gavaltron says he will suffer for not allowing the battle to continue you never hear from him again.

Don't really care about the autobots- the decepticons all had far more interesting tales

Rob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-23, 12:33 AM   #53
Commander Shockwav
Gestalt

Virginia, USA

Quote:
Originally posted by The Green Knight
1. Starscream - Sure, he got more than his fill of screen time, but when did we see the Screamer live up to his potential. Never. Because if he did, the autobots would have died long ago. I guess truly evil villains who actually want to kill their enemies have no place in war. I won't even mention the wasted potential of his immortal, ghostly self.

3. Shockwave - Cybertron's greatest janitor. We got to see Shockwave for about 3 seconds every 10 episodes, and he managed to prove himself a worthless brown-noser to Megatron, just like Soundwave, only worse. Where was the badass of the comics when you needed him?!
I sorely hope you are joking about these two. They have been two of the staple characters for years! I mean, there's nothing more that can be done with them. Starscream even featured as a ghost, a GHOST, for God's sake. How many robots in the history of sci-fi have even played such a role? And Shockwave, though I can never get enough of him, was Megatron's major rival in the Marvel run, and did just about everything in DW's run.

The topic is underutilized. I would say the following:

1. Sixshot. Six damn forms, and he features mostly in obscure Japanese cartoons that I don't really have much access to. Never featured in Marvel comics, and almost made it into DW's run before it got axed (all we saw was his shadow).

2. Quickswitch. Another six-formed bot that could have been Sixshot's nemesis, but never really did anything at all.

3. Chop Shop. One of the most kickass looking robot forms, yet he hardly said a word in any continuity.

4. Venom. Same scenario as Chop Shop. Kickass robot form, very underutilized.

5. Windcharger. Fastest Autobot over short distances, but would we ever know it? He featured now and then, but after making an appearance, he would disappear into the background as Decepticon cannon fodder.

6. Buzzsaw. I can see why he was underutilized. All he could do was cut things with his beak. Big freakin deal, but still, he could has been used as the silent assassin type raining down terror from the skies.

7. Jetfire/Skyfire. Another kickass looking character, who died in his first cartoon appearance, died after a few rounds with Sunstorm in DW's comic run, and died at the hands of, who else, Starscream in the Marvel run. A character who looks so badass should have been used more often, like in the Dark Ages.

8. Monstructor. Scary mofo, but who could tell with such infrequent appearances. Hell, he didn't even appear in the comic save for the MTMTE series, which proclaimed how bad ass he was. Should we believe it? Nah.

9. Banzai-tron. Though I hated the idea of Action Masters, here's one dude I would have liked to have seen more often as that deadly Decepticon assassin type ala Bludgeon. Never got to see it, likely never will.

10. Razorclaw. The leader of the renowned Predacons, yet would we ever know it given how little screentime he had. I mean come on, if Grimlocks the ying, then Razorclaw should have been the yang.

Last edited by Commander Shockwav; 2005-11-23 at 12:36 AM.
Commander Shockwav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-23, 07:31 AM   #54
Bouncelot

Quote:
Originally posted by Commander Shockwav
5. Windcharger. Fastest Autobot over short distances, but would we ever know it? He featured now and then, but after making an appearance, he would disappear into the background as Decepticon cannon fodder.
Whilst a lot more could have been done with him, but he had some pretty good appearances in the Marvel UK run - he was particularly good in Raiders of the Last Ark and Dinobot Hunt. That magnetic power is cool.

Quote:
7. Jetfire/Skyfire. Another kickass looking character, who died in his first cartoon appearance, died after a few rounds with Sunstorm in DW's comic run, and died at the hands of, who else, Starscream in the Marvel run. A character who looks so badass should have been used more often, like in the Dark Ages.
Yeah, but pretty much every early character (bar Prime and Soundwave) died at the hands of Starscream in the Marvel run. He was well utilised in a number of Marvel stories - he even got one of the UK's Christmas issues to himself.

Quote:
10. Razorclaw. The leader of the renowned Predacons, yet would we ever know it given how little screentime he had. I mean come on, if Grimlocks the ying, then Razorclaw should have been the yang.
Again, he was relatively well served by the Marvel run - he got to be contrasted very well with Grimlock in Grudge match and G2. Still underutilised, though.

Otherwise I agree with your list. I think I'd add most of the G1 characters from Headmasters onwards - none of them were well served by Rebirth, and only a fairly small number (Scorpy, Bludgeon, Carnivac, Fort Max and a few others) got anything more than an introduction and some didn't even get that.

Last edited by Bouncelot; 2005-11-23 at 06:08 PM.
Bouncelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-23, 02:39 PM   #55
Commander Shockwav
Gestalt

Virginia, USA

Quote:
Originally posted by Bouncelot
Whilst a lot more could have been done with him, but he had some pretty good appearances in the Marvel UK run - he was particularly good in Raiders of the Last Ark and Dinobot Hunt. That magnetic power is cool.

Yeah, but pretty much every early character (bar Prime and Soundwave) died at the hands of Starscream in the Marvel run. He was well utilised in a number of Marvel stories - he even got one of the UK's Christmas issues to himself.

[quote[10. Razorclaw. The leader of the renowned Predacons, yet would we ever know it given how little screentime he had. I mean come on, if Grimlocks the ying, then Razorclaw should have been the yang.

Again, he was relatively well served by the Marvel run - he got to be contrasted very well with Grimlock in Grudge match and G2. Still underutilised, though.
[/QUOTE]

I think that is part of my problem. I never had great access to the UK stories, which featured cetain Transformers because they were underutilized. Just wish they had been used more in the Marvel and DW comics and the cartoon as well.

Old 2005-12-01, 07:29 PM   #56
Bountyhunter
Gestalt

edgewater

Underused characters

Brawn=bad write off for a good character

Windcharger= same thing, great character bad removal

Hound=replaced by Bumblebee in importance, sorry he was devolping into maybe the greatest character of all until he vanished

Trailbreaker=another useful character that just vanished

skids=no personality devolped at all

Thundercracker=could have done so much with him.

bluestreak=great story little used

Gears=could have had a lot of fun with him

Wheeljack= one of my favorites could have used alot more

thrust=Little is seen of him. Could have been the best conehead.

Shockwave= nothing needs to be said there.

Omega=Should have been in more of season 3

Bountyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-03, 05:25 PM   #57
BWW 2000
Headmaster

Hi all,
When it comes to the cartoon, almost everyone except for the 'big guns' were underused, and even Shockers got a raw deal (he was a real badass in the comics, which was more in line with his tech specs).
Seeing as how the cartoon was one giant toy commercial, I am always shocked at how the Deluxe Autobots and Deluxe Insecticons never even featured once (unless they did in Japanese cartoons?)...I mean, some of them managed to crop up in the UK comic, and the toys weren't even available there! I think that they wasted an opportunity to sell the latter after the Movie...seeing as how three of the Deluxe Insecticons have VERY similar alternate modes to the 'ordinary' Insecticons, and those self same Insecticons (or their clones) are among those jettisoned from Astrotrain...you can see where I'm going with this! All we need is some redshirt to reformat as Venom, and we're in business!
With the Autobots short of air power, Whirl could have been valuable, and Roadbuster could have been a good character (as he was in the comics...until he blew himself up!).
Among those who DID feature, there could have been more made of Mirage's potential for becoming disillusioned with the Autobot cause (I could see him defecting to the 'cons and only realising the error of his ways after a while), Bluestreak should have been more affected by what had happened on Cybertron (maybe have Prime and co only find out just what he was through after arriving on Earth...they'd hardly have selected him for the Ark mission had they known that he had severe trauma?), Skids should have featured in the cartoon etc etc

BWW 2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-05, 05:32 PM   #58
Commander Shockwav
Gestalt

Virginia, USA

Quote:
Originally posted by Bountyhunter
Underused characters

Brawn=bad write off for a good character

skids=no personality devolped at all
Well. this might be true with the cartoon.

But if you take into consideration the comic, Skids in the Marvel run had good characterization, even had an entire issue just to himself.

And Brawn had characterization in Dreamwaves comics as well.

I do agree with Trailbreaker and Thundercracker getting too little "airtime", but Trailbreaker did have some time in the DW comics as well.

Old 2005-12-08, 02:52 PM   #59
Bountyhunter
Gestalt

edgewater

the question was under used character. That means that the characters potential was greatr then what was used. While the comics did use some of the characters more then previous these characters have not been given a chance to reach the fullness they should.

Bountyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-08, 06:48 PM   #60
optimusskids
Primus

UK

I'd say most of the Minibot repaints with the exception of Outback. Swerve for example .

Autobot double Target Masters

Omnibots

Chainclaw

Crossblades

Autobot Cassette combiners

Roadblock, Gunrunner , Skyhammer

Last edited by optimusskids; 2005-12-08 at 06:54 PM.
optimusskids is offline   Reply With Quote