• transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Media & Fandom > New Comics

Old 2014-09-18, 03:53 AM   #21
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
I don't think Warcy will like it though.

Eh. Rewind was never going to stay dead. Everyone knew that from the get-go, as much as we might have hoped otherwise. Not much point being upset with the inevitable. What will really be telling is if Roberts actually does anything with Rewind now or if it's just feels-bait. But since Rewind's return is, for now, the only lasting consequence of opening the coffin, I think it's safe to say that there's a bigger plan in play for him. I don't think he's evil or a DJD spy, but I do think that his presence will bring something big and negative down on them.

I agree with you that Nightbeat being an antisocial jerk feels totally wrong, though.

The issue mostly avoided pointless, masterbatory bigging up of the DJD, gave Megatron, Ravage and Nautica some added depth, and wrapped up the quantum duplicate storyline in a satisfactory way. The quantum mechanics jokes even worked this time. I liked it!

Curious to see where the Brainstorm thing is going. Given that this isn't pro wrestling, I'm going to assume there's way more to the story than "Haha, I was evil all along even though it makes very little sense!"

Also curious to know what's in the briefcase, since it had a totally different effect last issue compared to the one we saw at the end of this one. Are their multiple briefcases? Or is the briefcase not actually related to either the time-shuffling or the knockout power?

My insane theory is that the briefcase itself (or who/whatever is inside it) is malevolent, and somehow controlling Brainstorm. Especially if he actually crammed that Point-One-Percenter spark into it like he implied he might.

Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-18, 05:25 AM   #22
zigzagger
There ain't no Sanity Clause

Smile

Just some more thoughts:

Chromedome and ALL Rewind's reunion still has me grinning.

Anyway, I'm fairly confident that Roberts has something planned with Rewind, if the cover for issue #35 is anything to go by. We shall see.

Love that Megatron seems to be at odds with his past Decepticon self and the so-called Autobot. He's adjusting, little by little, and gets more and more easier to empathize with, which seemed nigh-****ing-impossible just a few issues ago. It's some damn satisfying character growth.

Ravage gets to be Megatron's companion! And I'm so all for that. Two issues in and I love him.

Skids seems to be Megatron's moral compass. It's a role I wouldn't have pegged him for, so I'm pleasantly surprised. Good on him for telling off Megatron, too.

Re: Nightbeat -- I'm with Skyquake on this one. With the IDW-verse, I've long accepted that characters not matching up with earlier incarnations comes with the territory. Then again, I've always kind of appreciated that about this continuity. Mind, I agree that Marvel Nightbeat is a far more memorable character, likable even, but I like Roberts' take all the same.... errr, even if it is inconsistent with the one from the -Ations era.

Also agree that I would like to see Nightbeat do some more detective-ing and go on a silly caper with Nautica ala Matrix Quest style. He's got the Sherlock-esque snark and the whole deductive reasoning thing down -- which makes him Nightbeat enough for me -- but yeah, it'd be nice to see him actually walk the talk.

zigzagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-18, 09:20 AM   #23
Death's Head
Gestalt

London

Quote:
Anyway, I'm fairly confident that Roberts has something planned with Rewind, if the cover for issue #35 is anything to go by. We shall se
That is an interesting cover - something to do with Rewind's old flame, Dominus Ambus, perhaps?

SMITH
Portfolio | Blog | Freelance Agent Brompton Rhodes - Guns, Girls and Gorillas!
Death's Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-18, 11:22 AM   #24
Summerhayes
always late to the party

Somerset, England.

Hey, I only got this a day late for once! And I still didn't manage to read it before we were on the second page of chat...

Bloody good issue, as always. I still feel it was a little too happy an ending re: Rewind, but it worked well enough and i'm sure there's much more to come. Megatron comforting him at the end was a great moment. I'm getting the impression that Megs isn't necessarily bad, but maybe is a big ol' space racist. Hopefully he'll work through that.

A few thoughts on Brainstorm; According to Rodimus' conversations with Drift, the Decepticon Initiation Ceremony involves cutting off a piece of spark casing to make the insignia, so it makes sense he'd keep it. I'm sure (or at least, hopeful) that there will turn out to be more to it than Brainstorm being an out-and-out buddy, though. Too bad we've probably got a two - parter and a three - parter before we find out!

Still alive, I'm just bad at keeping up with forums.
You can read my articles and reviews at gintendo.co.uk but I wouldn't bother if I were you.
Summerhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-18, 03:02 PM   #25
Terome
Indigent

Brighton

I have read this now!

Pretty satisfying. It sold me the Rewind comeback I'd been dreading, went a long way towards futher selling the logic of having Megatron onboard and had a good display of the sort of attention-to-detail that I like. Plus, Ravage was lots of fun and we've got some tasty mysteries to chew on with Brainstorm and Rewind.

I think the Tarn-is-Ambus lobby is becoming more convincing with every issue, don't you?

Quite liking this Nightbeat, in contrast to you lot. I'd actually forgotten he was in the early -ations and can't recall much of what made him stand out other than being lobostomised and shot. Here he serves a valuable function as a know-it-all and, along with Skids, seems to elicit some hints of admiration or respect from Megatron. 'There's a type' indeed.

So the ALL briefcase is some sort of undo button and the OLL briefcase is a big knock-you-all-out spell. How did the ALL briefcase get so far away from Brainstorm's body? Was ALL Brainstorm shot in the back?

Art seemed a bit deadline-towing in the last few pages. I imagine the poor art team were bushed after the last issue.

It'll be nice to spend time with Magnus, Rodimus, Perceptor and all the rest next month. I like these new additions but none of them seem to like each other much, Nightbeat and Nautica excluded. Does Skids remember being best buddies with Getaway now? He doesn't seem to really interact with him much.

So we only have Rewind's word that Chromedome is dead but the Necrobot definitely witnessed the death of a Chromedome somewhere. Presumably the DJD did not bother to report on their slaughter of Autobots or put Rewind's recording to propaganda use as Megatron wasn't surprised to see any of these cats alive. Must have confused whoever was taking those reports from the mole.

Last observation: on colour. It's been talked about before but it really seems as though purple=Decepticon to Transformers who went through the war. I wonder if anyone's made that clear to Nautica the way they do to Cyclonus. I also wonder if there's a reason why Decepticons gravitate towards that colour. Some mythic or cultural connection? Is it the same reason that Cyclonus is purple? I like the implication that Transformers attach a lot of significance to colour. It makes sense as they are all brightly-coloured children's toys.

Terome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-18, 03:07 PM   #26
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagger View Post
Re: Nightbeat -- I'm with Skyquake on this one. With the IDW-verse, I've long accepted that characters not matching up with earlier incarnations comes with the territory. Then again, I've always kind of appreciated that about this continuity. Mind, I agree that Marvel Nightbeat is a far more memorable character, likable even, but I like Roberts' take all the same.... errr, even if it is inconsistent with the one from the -Ations era.
That's the main thing for me -- IDW Nightbeat used to be the likeable hardboiled detective that we all know and love. Changing him into a less-likeable character without any of the other cast noticing or caring, for no particularly good reason other than that the writer wants to (and apparently loves some random BBC show?), is kind of annoying. Especially when Roberts has shown such skill in the past at giving utter nobodies new personalities -- if he wanted to write a character like BBC Sherlock, then it'd make more sense to use Streetwise or Stakeout or someone.

And it's not like Nightbeat is the only time that people have been annoyed by such a change -- Costa did the same thing with Prowl and the fanbase flipped out on him. People actually like Roberts, so the reaction is closer to mild annoyance, but I think it's perfectly reasonable to be irked by it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death's Head View Post
That is an interesting cover - something to do with Rewind's old flame, Dominus Ambus, perhaps?
I'm probably wrong, but for me the pile of dead "disposables", the propaganda-like message right above them and the title of the story all point towards this being set back in the days of Chaos Theory/Shadowplay.

Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-18, 03:44 PM   #27
Summerhayes
always late to the party

Somerset, England.

It is the third part of the Chaos Theory/ Shadowplay trilogy; Roberts mentioned it at AA.

You can read my articles and reviews at gintendo.co.uk but I wouldn't bother if I were you.
Old 2014-09-18, 03:59 PM   #28
zigzagger

Smile

That starts in issue #36. "Elegant Chaos" is what Roberts is calling it.

Issue #35 is a standalone tale, I believe. Not much to go on in the solicitations, however, so it's entirely speculation on my part, but I am hoping for a Rewind-centric tale. Or at least some additional backstory. A follow up on the Dominus Ambus thread is loooooong overdue.

Old 2014-09-18, 04:33 PM   #29
Summerhayes
always late to the party

Somerset, England.

Ah, my mistake, I thought EC started in 35. I try to avoid looking at covers/ previews/ synopses as much as I can. I like it fresh!

Old 2014-09-18, 05:18 PM   #30
zigzagger

Smile

I'd do the same, but I'm terribly impatient.

Though I'm learning not the set my expectations too high when it comes to the solicits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post

And it's not like Nightbeat is the only time that people have been annoyed by such a change -- Costa did the same thing with Prowl and the fanbase flipped out on him. People actually like Roberts, so the reaction is closer to mild annoyance, but I think it's perfectly reasonable to be irked by it.
Oh, no, of course it's perfectly reasonable... thooooough to be fair, Prowl's change in the earlier Costa run was the result of, well, Costa not giving a shit. It was made all the more irksome when it didn't match up with Roche and Robert's interpretation of the character HAPPENING AROUND THE SAME GODDAMNED MOMENT IN ANOTHER BOOK. Two books, in fact!

In Nightbeat's case (who we've not seen since 2008 before his return), to me it just reads like a different spin on the detective persona and that Roberts is having a bit too much fun with the character. I'm not too bothered by it, but I do get why it has others annoyed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terome View Post
I have read this now!

It'll be nice to spend time with Magnus, Rodimus, Perceptor and all the rest next month. I like these new additions but none of them seem to like each other much, Nightbeat and Nautica excluded. Does Skids remember being best buddies with Getaway now? He doesn't seem to really interact with him much.
Mm-hm. Very little of the old the faces this 'season'. I wouldn't mind spending a little more time with them. The end of the last season, we were just beginning to scratch the surface of Rodimus's character, with promise of a redemption arc.

Last edited by zigzagger; 2014-09-18 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Clarification and stuff.
Old 2014-09-18, 09:30 PM   #31
MikeB
Not a real Brummie

Solihull, England

Ok, quick thought having just reached issue 28 on my re-read. The first real page has Brainstorm discussing his colour coded good/bad gun, with Nautica dismissing moral absolutism etc etc. Given the possible revelation about Brainstorm now, why would he be interested in developing a weapon like that? Given that these things rarely seem to be thrown in without some sneaky purpose down the line it's adding a bit of extra intrigue for me...

Re: Tarn's identity, in an earlier Ratchet seemed to indicate with his "Tarn" comment that he may know who he really is? If so, surely he'd have told Rewind if it was Ambus? Maybe ALL Rewind found out and turned, but if so why would he be still there and hiding? I'm still guessing Roller, and I'm wondering if this thread will be tied up in the next set of flashback issues?

MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-19, 08:10 AM   #32
Terome
Indigent

Brighton

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
Ok, quick thought having just reached issue 28 on my re-read. The first real page has Brainstorm discussing his colour coded good/bad gun, with Nautica dismissing moral absolutism etc etc. Given the possible revelation about Brainstorm now, why would he be interested in developing a weapon like that? Given that these things rarely seem to be thrown in without some sneaky purpose down the line it's adding a bit of extra intrigue for me...
That is neat. It could be saying any number of things, the most likely perhaps is that Brainstorm made those colour coded guns rigged for the sole purpose of maintaining his cover or that they didn't work at all. Or maybe it's a hint that he's a Cylon-type deep cover doesn't-know-he's-a-spy sort. Or that he isn't really a Decepticon. Or that he is a Decepticon but has been undercover for so long he doesn't even think about it anymore unless a Decepticon comes at him at a big gun and it might be useful for him to flash his badge.

My read on it all is that he's not a Decepticon. That badge is there to get out of sticky situations and that gamble, of course, failed this time. He abuses his superweapons and undo buttons all the time to get free drinks and mess people around because he is a devious sociopath. At the end we see a typical day for Brainstorm, doing whatever the hell he wants.

Quote:
Re: Tarn's identity, in an earlier Ratchet seemed to indicate with his "Tarn" comment that he may know who he really is? If so, surely he'd have told Rewind if it was Ambus? Maybe ALL Rewind found out and turned, but if so why would he be still there and hiding? I'm still guessing Roller, and I'm wondering if this thread will be tied up in the next set of flashback issues?
Ratchet might know but I think that was Prowl who made that comment. He wouldn't tell anyone.

The next set of flashbacks are a sure bet for clearing up this mystery. To be honest it would be a bit disappointing for another major villain to turn out to be someone unexpected but I guess it's a little different as Tarn's mask immediately makes us wonder who is under there while with Shockwave it's a little more complicated.

Quote:
Mm-hm. Very little of the old the faces this 'season'. I wouldn't mind spending a little more time with them. The end of the last season, we were just beginning to scratch the surface of Rodimus's character, with promise of a redemption arc.
I'm a big fan of the Fables-style rollover of the main cast but I suspect, like Fables, the original line-up will slowly creep back in to the limelight.

Hey something I only noticed on a reread - Cyclonus is accounted for by Rewind's recollection. He was killed. How about that.

Terome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-19, 11:02 AM   #33
MikeB
Not a real Brummie

Solihull, England

Quote:
My read on it all is that he's not a Decepticon. That badge is there to get out of sticky situations and that gamble, of course, failed this time. He abuses his superweapons and undo buttons all the time to get free drinks and mess people around because he is a devious sociopath. At the end we see a typical day for Brainstorm, doing whatever the hell he wants.
Not to mention a definite track record of cowardice on his part... it would be a very good get out if cornered. Though if the briefcase is really that powerful would he even need to do that?

I don't think I had this level of suspense even as a kid reading the Marvel comics....

MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-19, 11:47 AM   #34
Unicron
Time for plan bee-weeoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
Not to mention a definite track record of cowardice on his part... it would be a very good get out if cornered. Though if the briefcase is really that powerful would he even need to do that?
The briefcase actually isn't that powerful. It's always been described as a portable containment unit for whatever super crazy thing he's working on. 'Bad things happen if it's opened outside of a controlled environment' kind of thing. If you were working on stuff like that, on a ship with people Whirl and Swerve, wouldn't you want to keep that sort of thing chained to your wrist where you can keep an eye on it?

Plus I always figured that while something in it might be a powerful weapon, it's probably at an early stage of development and likely to be just as dangerous to Brainstorm as the person he'd try to use it against.

That or it's some kind of ray that turns the affected individual into a black repaint and makes them all depressed.

Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-19, 12:18 PM   #35
Blackjack
Micromaster

This thing is out? Shit, I didn't even realize!

Need to track it down.

Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-19, 12:42 PM   #36
Rack 'n Ruin
Unregistered User

Debris, UK

Wow, that guy who guessed the quantum thing on TFW was spot on.

Liked the issue. Ravage is, again, adorable. Please, please, please can the grumpy little beggar stay on the LL?

And Brainstorm. Wow. I don't know what to think of that. The bar scene notwithstanding (I like Terome's just-another-day-at-the-office idea above), I expect that there is (wait for it) More Than Meets the Eye (sorry) to the 'con symbol. Apart from the whole double agent thing, possible explanations include:

* Brainstorm has always carried a 'con badge hidden on his person as a get out of jail free card (as suggested by Terome and Mike B above).
* Brainstorm has been a 'con in the past, but had a change of heart at some point.
* The symbol was hastily painted by Brainstorm on a readily detached body part as the DJD boarded, again to try to bluff his way out.
* The symbol was painted by the real double agent on Brainstorm's body to incriminate him.

Now, if the last option is true, who could be the real double agent? Surely the choice must be either Rewind (last man standing, possibly spared by a mask wearing friend, able to skew reports of events as he wishes) or Chromedome (no corpse found by Team Megatron AFAIK, known to have flaky morals, links to the (New?) Institute and potential there to make dubious alliances, and the ability to inject Rewind to make him think he had seen the 'dome killed by the DJD)?

All I know is that surely JR has brought Rewind back for a good reason. It could be for a plot unrelated to the double agent (Dominus Ambus, for example), or it could be for the emotional impact of him being betrayed by Chromedome after everything they've been through.

Oh my, I can't wait to find out.

BTW, my latest Tarn-o-meter reading is pointing towards Roller. Was sure it was Dominus Ambus for some time, but the upcoming Chaos story coupled with the DJD cropping up just ahead of it is making me think we will get a Tarn resolution soon. And if that is so, and the answer lies in Cybertron's past and Pax's backstory, then surely it will be Roller. Plus, changing from Autobot lawman to Decepticon justice enforcer seems rather fitting...

Plus,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicron View Post
That or it's some kind of ray that turns the affected individual into a black repaint and makes them all depressed.
LOL!

EDIT: And poor Animus. Man, he cannot catch a break... died on both Lost Lights. I'm intrigued by him. What did he turn into? Why was he on the ethics committee with Xaaron and Trailbreaker (and more the point, why the heck was Trailbreaker on the ethics committee?) And now I doubt I'll ever know.

Wreck and Rule!

Last edited by Rack 'n Ruin; 2014-09-19 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Animus
Rack 'n Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-19, 02:01 PM   #37
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Quote:
Eh. Rewind was never going to stay dead. Everyone knew that from the get-go, as much as we might have hoped otherwise. Not much point being upset with the inevitable. What will really be telling is if Roberts actually does anything with Rewind now or if it's just feels-bait. But since Rewind's return is, for now, the only lasting consequence of opening the coffin, I think it's safe to say that there's a bigger plan in play for him. I don't think he's evil or a DJD spy, but I do think that his presence will bring something big and negative down on them.
The two briefcases are the other lasting consequence of the coffin, and the time altering properties of at least one of them might well explain how that message wound up going to the past.

Quote:
Curious to see where the Brainstorm thing is going. Given that this isn't pro wrestling, I'm going to assume there's way more to the story than "Haha, I was evil all along even though it makes very little sense!"
It's fairly standard spy stuff though, the seemingly utterly trustworthy person who turns out to be a long standing sleeper agent (anyone in the UK currently watching The New Avengers on ITV4 will see this taken to ludicrous extremes as the whole "Paying for the joy of the 60's" angle of the show means it's full of old dear friends of Steed who were villains all along). I wouldn't be surprised if Roberts was thinking of the Cambridge spies as well.

It makes a degree of sense of well, for someone to work their way into a high position of trust they'd have to play it completely straight 99% of the time, presumably Brainstorm was placed either for a very specific mission or to pass on Autobot military secrets covertly (and perhaps more importantly, as a developer of those weapons to guide their research down blind alleys and ultimately useless innovations), he'd have to act as an out and out Autobot to get away with that.

Mind, if that Decepticon symbol was there all along, how did he ever manage to have a drink in Swerve's without giving away his secret?

Thinking about it further: The ALL crew found out about Overlord much earlier that the OLL crew did, suggesting the traitor was someone who never discovered the Decepticon was there until it was too late on our ship. Which would rule out Brainstorm who knew all along and could have done whatever was done to the Slow Cell to give the game away on the OLL as well.

Quote:
Also curious to know what's in the briefcase, since it had a totally different effect last issue compared to the one we saw at the end of this one. Are their multiple briefcases? Or is the briefcase not actually related to either the time-shuffling or the knockout power?
My current theory: It simply isn't the same briefcase at all. ALL Brainstorm simply made another one at some point, out of materials that weren't on the Lost Light at the start. Hence the different powers and both surviving.

Of course, if that's the reason there's now two briefcases, that suggests Rewind isn't the same Rewind that we know either (a scene of him ripping off his rubber mask to reveal a shrunken Tarn under there perhaps?)...

Ohhhhhhhhhhh, once ALL Rewind found out Chromedome had lied to him and been involved in bringing Overlord aboard would he get pissed enough to contact the DJD to try and hand Overlord over to them for execution? Mad speculation time!

Quote:

To be completely fair, Roberts has form for this before in the overhaul (and piss take) of Drift for the series. The difference though, is no one liked Drift before...

Last edited by inflatable dalek; 2014-09-19 at 02:32 PM.
inflatable dalek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-19, 02:30 PM   #38
Rack 'n Ruin
Unregistered User

Debris, UK

Quote:
That is neat. It could be saying any number of things, the most likely perhaps is that Brainstorm made those colour coded guns rigged for the sole purpose of maintaining his cover or that they didn't work at all. Or maybe it's a hint that he's a Cylon-type deep cover doesn't-know-he's-a-spy sort. Or that he isn't really a Decepticon. Or that he is a Decepticon but has been undercover for so long he doesn't even think about it anymore unless a Decepticon comes at him at a big gun and it might be useful for him to flash his badge.
Forgot to comment on this. Maybe Brainstorm was in the midst of some soul searching, and wanted to talk things over with Nautica in the only way he could - hypothetically. Maybe he was questioning just which way his loyalties truly laid? A gun that could show him his "true colours" (cf. Skids and Megatron) would be a very scientist-y thing to think of. If he was in two minds pre-quantum weirdness, what could have happened in limbo to make him go all "You're all my beeeee-atchs now, suckas!"? Or... could we have some quantum cross-contamination and the Brainstorm we see in the bar actually be the ALL Brainstorm, and the dead one be doubting OLL Brainstorm? Probably over thinking this now...

Wreck and Rule!
Old 2014-09-19, 03:07 PM   #39
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Red face

Ah, James Roberts pointed out to me on twitter that issue 30 covers how Brainstorm managed to have a drink without removing his mask.

inflatable dalek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-19, 03:35 PM   #40
Rack 'n Ruin
Unregistered User

Debris, UK

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if Roberts was thinking of the Cambridge spies as well.
I could go with that. Maybe a bit Tinker, Tailor... too?

Quote:
Mind, if that Decepticon symbol was there all along, how did he ever manage to have a drink in Swerve's without giving away his secret?
Space straws.

Quote:
Thinking about it further: The ALL crew found out about Overlord much earlier that the OLL crew did, suggesting the traitor was someone who never discovered the Decepticon was there until it was too late on our ship. Which would rule out Brainstorm who knew all along and could have done whatever was done to the Slow Cell to give the game away on the OLL as well...

...Ohhhhhhhhhhh, once ALL Rewind found out Chromedome had lied to him and been involved in bringing Overlord aboard would he get pissed enough to contact the DJD to try and hand Overlord over to them for execution? Mad speculation time!
My memory fails me. When and how did OLL Chromedome find out about Overlord and the slow cell? Wasn't it when Rewind was critically injured and he was at a low ebb? On the ALL, could the circumstances of him finding out have played out slightly differently? Maybe Rewind didn't get injured, and ALL Chromedome found out another way while more in control of his emotions and either tells Rewind about Overlord straight away (who maybe contacted the DJD or persuaded Chromedome it was the right thing for him to do so), or decides for himself he won't go along with the conspiracy for whatever reason and deactiavtes the slow cell? Or maybe ALL Chromedome never found out about Overlord, and the double agent is Rewind who DID know about Overlord all along. He does carry an awful lot of data around with him...

Wreck and Rule!