The Transformers Archive Skip to main content / Also skip section headers

[The Transformers Archive - an international fan site]
Please feel free to log in or register.

 
  • transformers toys
  • transformers comics
  • transformers cartoon
  • transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Media & Fandom > New Comics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2014-09-19, 03:38 PM   #41
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster
 
inflatable dalek's Avatar
 
Kidderminster UK
Red face

It was Brainstorm's straw that betrayed them all!
 
inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-19, 06:41 PM   #42
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.
 
Warcry's Avatar
 
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terome View Post
Ratchet might know but I think that was Prowl who made that comment. He wouldn't tell anyone.
You're right about it being Prowl. The way he said it though, I got the impression that most everyone know who Tarn really is. Chromedome certainly would, at least -- Prowl isn't the type to use dramatic air quotes unless the person he's talking to already knows exactly what he's trying to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terome View Post
I'm a big fan of the Fables-style rollover of the main cast but I suspect, like Fables, the original line-up will slowly creep back in to the limelight.
I'm of two minds on this. I like to see new characters introduced regularly because that's how Transformers books have always worked, but I don't like seeing it done en masse while so many of the original cast's issues are still unresolved. I'd prefer a more "Law & Order" approach, slowly and organically switching out one or two characters at a time.

Of course, it's hard to complain too loudly about it when (most) of the new characters are just as interesting as the original cast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rack 'n Ruin View Post
Liked the issue. Ravage is, again, adorable. Please, please, please can the grumpy little beggar stay on the LL?
Since he was one of the guys on Roberts' original want list, I suspect he'll sick around for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
The two briefcases are the other lasting consequence of the coffin, and the time altering properties of at least one of them might well explain how that message wound up going to the past.
I forgot about the extra briefcase! That's less dramatic, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
It's fairly standard spy stuff though, the seemingly utterly trustworthy person who turns out to be a long standing sleeper agent (anyone in the UK currently watching The New Avengers on ITV4 will see this taken to ludicrous extremes as the whole "Paying for the joy of the 60's" angle of the show means it's full of old dear friends of Steed who were villains all along). I wouldn't be surprised if Roberts was thinking of the Cambridge spies as well.
Standard, sure, but not especially interesting. As with any revelations that come up in this series, I suspect the actual reason for this will be deeper than it seems at first blush.

My totally unsubstantiated guess is that he may have been a double agent once, long ago, but that he's been an Autobot for so long that he doesn't consider himself one anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
Thinking about it further: The ALL crew found out about Overlord much earlier that the OLL crew did, suggesting the traitor was someone who never discovered the Decepticon was there until it was too late on our ship. Which would rule out Brainstorm who knew all along and could have done whatever was done to the Slow Cell to give the game away on the OLL as well.
That struck me as well. Brainstorm may or may not be a Decepticon, but the fact that he knew about Overlord in both timelines makes it very unlikely that he'd have called the DJD in one and not the other.

Well, that plus his cowardice. Blowing his cover for any reason doesn't seem very likely.
 
Warcry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-19, 07:20 PM   #43
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster
 
inflatable dalek's Avatar
 
Kidderminster UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post

Standard, sure, but not especially interesting. As with any revelations that come up in this series, I suspect the actual reason for this will be deeper than it seems at first blush.
Hee got pissed one night and had an embarrassing tattoo done.

Quote:
Well, that plus his cowardice. Blowing his cover for any reason doesn't seem very likely.
As there's presumably a bit of a time lag between the Chromedome and Rewind reunion and the scene on OLL (to let everyone get back aboard as they'd have presumably re-materialised on the shuttles), I wonder if the reason Brainstorm is acting now is that he's got taps on the ship's communications and knows the Rod Pod has been in touch to warn them about him? He might have opened the case just as security was about to walk in through the door and grab him.
 
inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-19, 08:02 PM   #44
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.
 
Warcry's Avatar
 
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Default

I meant insofar as calling in the DJD would have blown his cover, not the last page of the issue. Opening the briefcase and KOing an entire room full of crewmates is perfectly in character for what we know of the guy. If he'd done it two issues ago, everyone would have been, "Oh that Brainstorm, what a goof!" and not ascribed any sinister motives to it at all. I mean, he put the whole ship in stasis in Spotlight: Trailwhoever and nobody called him a Decepticon then.
 
Warcry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-20, 05:18 AM   #45
zigzagger
There ain't no Sanity Clause
 
zigzagger's Avatar
 
Default

So I had a thought, and forgive me if it's come up already and I somehow missed it....

But based on the assumption that ALL Rewind remained as there was no OLL Rewind to contradict his existence*, wouldn't the same apply to, say, Rodimus's half of the Matrix? Assuming ALL Rodimus's corpse -- which last we checked was on the OLL -- still holds the other half.

That is, if the coffin didn't disappear after everything went back to normal.

* Mind you, I'm not completely sold on this theory yet. I suspect there's more going on with OLL Rewind than... well, you know. Maybe he's the original... somehow? Doubtful, but who knows.

 

Last edited by zigzagger; 2014-09-20 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Damn it. Got Dalek's acronyms mixed up.
zigzagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-20, 09:16 AM   #46
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster
 
inflatable dalek's Avatar
 
Kidderminster UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
I meant insofar as calling in the DJD would have blown his cover, not the last page of the issue. Opening the briefcase and KOing an entire room full of crewmates is perfectly in character for what we know of the guy. If he'd done it two issues ago, everyone would have been, "Oh that Brainstorm, what a goof!" and not ascribed any sinister motives to it at all. I mean, he put the whole ship in stasis in Spotlight: Trailwhoever and nobody called him a Decepticon then.
That actually shows how easy it would be to build a case against Brainstorm- It's a pretty amazing coincidence he just happened to freeze everyone (in a way not dissimilar to what happens here actually) right at the point a load of Decepticons wanted to come aboard and steal Metroplex's thumb isn't it?

Now, there's an argument against that as well of course (those Decepticons were rouges working with a mad Autobot so having the right contact details for the local spy would be unlikely), but I can easily see how the seeds of doubt would be very much sowed in the minds of his colleagues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagger View Post
But based on the assumption that ALL Rewind remained as there was no OLL Rewind to contradict his existence*, wouldn't the same apply to, say, Rodimus's half of the Matrix? Assuming ALL Rodimus's corpse -- which last we checked was on the OLL -- still holds the other half.
I suppose the most straightforward explanation is that the spreading effect simply hadn't reached OLL Rewind's floating corpse yet (something backed up as the likes of Cosmos don't seem to have vanished form) and that's why ALL Rewind was safe. If we go with that, the Matrix would depend on whether Rodimus had thrown the broken half away or not.
 
inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-20, 12:57 PM   #47
Unicron
Time for plan bee-weeoop
 
Unicron's Avatar
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
I suppose the most straightforward explanation is that the spreading effect simply hadn't reached OLL Rewind's floating corpse yet (something backed up as the likes of Cosmos don't seem to have vanished form) and that's why ALL Rewind was safe. If we go with that, the Matrix would depend on whether Rodimus had thrown the broken half away or not.
The shattered Matrix bits from our Lost Light are scattered over the cooled hotspot on Luna 1, per the text story at the end of Remain in Light.

I doubt the alternate Matrix half was stuff in the coffin with Rodimus, given that it's their map. Seems more likely that Drift or Magnus would have kept it so they could figure out where they were going.
 
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-20, 07:35 PM   #48
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer
 
Red Dave Prime's Avatar
 
Ireland
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicron View Post
The shattered Matrix bits from our Lost Light are scattered over the cooled hotspot on Luna 1, per the text story at the end of Remain in Light.

I doubt the alternate Matrix half was stuff in the coffin with Rodimus, given that it's their map. Seems more likely that Drift or Magnus would have kept it so they could figure out where they were going.
Sometimes, just sometimes, it might be best to stop over-thinking this stuff. I'm sure we can find cracks in the alternate/ original plotline if we keep looking but for the most part I think Roberts has done a great job with the idea. I wouldnt be surprised if there is something specific about Rewind and the Alternate briefcase surviving (by the fact that the attention is drawn to both) but if there are other bits that dont add up, I'm happy enough with what does work.
 
Red Dave Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-21, 05:00 AM   #49
zigzagger
There ain't no Sanity Clause
 
zigzagger's Avatar
 
Smile

Errr.... I, uh, I was just thinking about the overall quest

It was just a random thought I had. The OLL crew had lost their map, so I was wondering what happened to the ALL crew's half of the Matrix. Was it left behind in the wreckage? Did the DJD take it? And while the OLL gang is planning on catching up with Thunderclash at some point, the map is still kind of pertinent to finding the Knights.
 
zigzagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-21, 07:10 PM   #50
Summerhayes
always late to the party
 
Summerhayes's Avatar
 
Somerset, England.
Default

There was another line about the ALL going where they were supposed to go, per the matrix map, whereas the OLL was off getting lost and distracted so I wouldn't be surprised to either see the ALL matrix turn up or rewind tell them where to go.
 

Still alive, I'm just bad at keeping up with forums.
You can read my articles and reviews at gintendo.co.uk but I wouldn't bother if I were you.
Summerhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-21, 10:17 PM   #51
AskShockwave
Headmaster
 
AskShockwave's Avatar
 
Default

Hello! I haven't posted on here in years -since 2008!- as I kinda fell out of love with TF comics. Absolutely loving MTMTE, though, so...back in the game!

The specific reason that I'm posting is to point out that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
Mind, if that Decepticon symbol was there all along, how did (Brainstorm) ever manage to have a drink in Swerve's without giving away his secret?
There's a panel in #30 where he refuses a drink, stating that he always carries his own...which he then pours into his wrist

Yep, after 6 years, THAT'S what I wanted to post! I guess it could be evidence that he was 'wearing' the symbol prior to death-by-debris on the ALL, meaning that it wasn't planted on him by anyone in the room when he was found.

Or someone simply took advantage of his known chin issues?

Either way, he drinks through the wrist
 

"There's money in the Banana Stand"
AskShockwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-22, 06:55 AM   #52
Auntie Slag
Satisfaction guaranteed !
 
Auntie Slag's Avatar
 
Cambridge, UK
Question

Was it death by debris though? If you look at that panel (where they lift the debris off of him), it looks like there's a small hole at the base of his spine, which tends to be the area where they remove the Transformaton cog.

So now that the ALL has returned Rewind, does that mean we can expect to see Polaris, Hyperion, the one they eulogised, Lockstock and Spoke and Deftwing return (that's the guy who got beheaded by a Legislator, yes?).

And what about Pipes? He died horribly in both continuities, but at what point are the two Lost Lights supposed to merge leaving one Lost Light, at the point of the Quantum jump in issue 1?

Does this mean our Ratchet still has his old hands? Is it simply that everyone whose died in our continuity since the first issue gets returned, and everyone (and everything) who've been picked up along the way since issue 1 get to remain on board because OLL takes precedence over the ALL since Rewind and Megatron switched off the Quantum drums of the ALL?

Maybe that's clearly stated, but I just wanted to check and see what others thought.

And Skids was the business
 
Auntie Slag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-22, 04:07 PM   #53
Unicron
Time for plan bee-weeoop
 
Unicron's Avatar
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Slag View Post
So now that the ALL has returned Rewind, does that mean we can expect to see Polaris, Hyperion, the one they eulogised, Lockstock and Spoke and Deftwing return (that's the guy who got beheaded by a Legislator, yes?).
Near as I can tell, it's only those who were alive when the OLL disappeared and the ALL engine shutdown who is around/back. Polaris, Pipes, etc. were dead at this point on both ships, so they don't get to come back. Rewind was alive on the ALL, so he gets to persist*.

As for Ratchet's Pharma-hands and Cyclonus' sword, they should be in the Rodpod, probably stuffed in a closet so people don't trip over them.

*That assumes the deciding factor in who came back is that there was one version alive. It's possible ALL Rewind stuck around because his OLL corpse (assuming he actually is dead floating in space with Overlord) is far away from the OLL's present location. As such, there could be the ALL corpses of Polaris, Hyperion, Tripodeca, etc. sitting on OLL right now.
Or it could be that ALL Rewind persisted because "Information has weight".
Or ALL Rewind is a fake and thus wouldn't have been eliminated with the ALL.

Hooray for overthinking things!
 
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-22, 04:42 PM   #54
Rack 'n Ruin
Unregistered User
 
Rack 'n Ruin's Avatar
 
Debris, UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicron View Post
Or ALL Rewind is a fake and thus wouldn't have been eliminated with the ALL.
Eject was getting jealous being left out. One trip to a spray paint booth later...
 

Wreck and Rule!
Rack 'n Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-22, 08:02 PM   #55
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster
 
inflatable dalek's Avatar
 
Kidderminster UK
Red face

Wait, so after 8 years Ask Aspel decides to come back just to point out I was wrong?

*BANNED*
 
inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-22, 08:10 PM   #56
Unicron
Time for plan bee-weeoop
 
Unicron's Avatar
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
Wait, so after 8 years Ask Aspel decides to come back just to point out I was wrong?

*BANNED*
6 years, almost.

Does this get me banned too?
 
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-22, 08:22 PM   #57
Rack 'n Ruin
Unregistered User
 
Rack 'n Ruin's Avatar
 
Debris, UK
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
Wait, so after 8 years Ask Aspel decides to come back just to point out I was wrong?

*BANNED*
Well, the rest of us had got that role pretty well covered, but we were on a tea break and he volunteered, so...
 

Wreck and Rule!
Rack 'n Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-23, 12:02 AM   #58
AskShockwave
Headmaster
 
AskShockwave's Avatar
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
Wait, so after 8 years Ask Aspel decides to come back just to point out I was wrong?

*BANNED*
Well, technically I was just answering your original question, so...not that I'm pointing out that you're wrong or anythi... I'll say my goodbyes.
 

"There's money in the Banana Stand"
AskShockwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-23, 07:36 AM   #59
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster
 
inflatable dalek's Avatar
 
Kidderminster UK
Red face

Don't go AS, I was just attempting weak humour.

Rack'N'Ruin on the other hand is banned.

SPOILER! (select to read)
They won't actually let me ban people. I don't know why.

 
inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-26, 02:52 PM   #60
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster
 
inflatable dalek's Avatar
 
Kidderminster UK
Talking

Hey, guess who just won the original Faceplate page art* on Ebay? Moi!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Transforme...p2047675.l2557

*Well, I say original, as, IIRC correctly, Milne didn't ink this I assume this is a high quality scan of the pencils than the inker then did his or her magic on (presumably that's the reason a lot of pages from this issue wound up on Ebay when there's an absence of other Milne drawn material on there). Presumably in this day and age inkers don't get sent the actual physical penciled page do they? Still very nice though and pretty much a one off that was surprisingly cheap (that works out less than I paid for my page of art from issue 6).

Slightly related to the issue beyond smug gloating:

I would like to retract what I said earlier about Nightbeat not detectoring enough as this week I have been mostly reading Raymond Chandler short stories and this approach of the hero having the plot explained to him is in fact entirely in keeping with the noir source that inspired the character.

Seriously, the poor detective (there's a few different ones but the names don't matter as they are all impossible to read without visualising Humphrey Bogart) is, when not drinking everything in sight, constantly being koshed on the head before being taken to the Big Man who cheerfully explains exactly how the detective has become a patsy (this usually involves a Dame That Done Him Wrong) .

The only actual deductions the hero makes seem to usually be based on him assuming everyone is out to get him and therefore they're all in on it.

These stories are however huge fun (and the characters who don't talk like Bogart talk like Sydney Greenstreet. Except the ones with vaginas who come over as Laruen Bacall).
 
inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
 
 
[the-hub.co.uk]
[transfans.co.uk]
[oneshallstand]
[unicron.com]
[counter-x.net]
[ntfa.net]
[allspark.com]
[transformertoys.co.uk]
[tfu.info]
[botchthecrab.com]
[obscure_tf]
[tfradio.net]
 

[TFArchive button]
Link graphics...

BOOKMARK US
Or in FF, hit Ctrl+D.