Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Toys & Merch

Old 2015-07-10, 10:43 AM   #201
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
You'll get my Feral Rex from my cold dead hands! Meaning I can will it to you, but you'll be waiting a while.
"The police have dismissed rumours connecting his death with a supposedly-cursed cat video as ridiculous".

Quote:
Best thing to bear in mind is that the third party stuff is an idiosyncratic lot and that questions are good.
Yeah, I've quickly realised this is an absolute minefield. Establishing what's actually available is hard enough, working out what's good is even harder. Keep butting my head against a wall of stock photos/digibashes, shill-piece previews and "ermergerhd new toy is amazing! EXCITE!" reviews.

Plus there's the whole "what's in scale with what" factor.

Apparently I'm seriously ****ing picky as well, because Unique Toys' Ordin looks amazeballs but my brain can't currently get past the fact that they've made Cutthroat his arm.

Actually surprised that (as far as I've been able to tell) nobody's had a crack at mass-produced MP style Coneheads.

Does anybody have any objective views on X-Transbots Apollyon or DX9 Chigurh?

Brendocon 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-10, 11:52 AM   #202
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

It's incredibly silly, but I can never keep track of the Third Party toy names, I do wish people would just call them by what the characters they're actually supposed to be, even if that would probably be more confusing for everyone else.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-10, 01:10 PM   #203
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Invisible Not Mirage is comfortably the best thing I've bought that's a robot that turns into a car in the past few months.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-10, 01:13 PM   #204
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Red face

Cliffjumper's not dead!

I was actually impressed by Mr. Jumper's "In hand" pictures of Not-Mirage, they looked much better than the stock images for some reason.

Old 2015-07-10, 01:13 PM   #205
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendocon 2.0 View Post
Keep butting my head against a wall of stock photos/digibashes, shill-piece previews and "ermergerhd new toy is amazing! EXCITE!" reviews.
Yeh, between the licence drones at the Waki trying to pretend 3P isn't happening and the zealots who insist that whatever 3P toy they've just bought for a three-figure sum is miles better than a non-existant HasTak product the web's basically useless. Would simply put more faith in testimonial of non-maniacs here myself; got Invisible on a recommend from Denyer.

Old 2015-07-10, 01:14 PM   #206
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
I was actually impressed by Mr. Jumper's "In hand" pictures of Not-Mirage, they looked much better than the stock images for some reason.
Because it had been near me and I'm a motherbanging rockstar.

Stock images are like CGI, they just slap all the filters and shit on out of habit without even considering that they might not need it.

Old 2015-07-10, 03:40 PM   #207
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Quote:
But then another third party would make the Target Masters! It's the circle of life.
And charge $80 each for them!

Quote:
Do you really want to get me started again on the fact Hasbro made a brand new ****ing Scoop but did Nightbeat as a Bumblebee redo? What madness was that?
Screw Nightbeat, I didn't have his toy as a kid so obviously Scoop is a higher priority.

Look on the bright side, though -- as least his best toy isn't an Energon redeco anymore.

Quote:
**** inexplicable. I know I have my whole Flywheels spiel, but (lack of articulation aside), I regard Quake as the most perfect Transformer ever.
Well sure, Quake's awesome and Spinister's even more awesome. But why in the world do I care about Quickmix so much? He couldn't even decide whether to have elbows or shoulders!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
Some of the third party outfits do consistently pursue new territory. Fansproject (one of the oldest groups) has been putting out Headmasters and a Quickswitch. Maketoys is doing masterpiece-style Headmasters and really lovely combiners. Mastermind Creations is doing the Decepticon Justice Division and Impactor. So more variety is out there than is immediately obvious, although it's difficult to keep track because the volume of it.
**** the DJD.

...oh wait, this isn't a MTMTE thread, is it? Sorry, Pavlovian reaction.

FP are far from the only ones putting out Headmasters, but they've definitely got some of the most diverse offerings out there. Aren't they the ones who designed a new Scramble-City type combiner from scratch as well? MMC have some good stuff, too. Their Sixshot is awesome and I'd be sorely tempted by their Catilla and Impactor as well if the Canadian dollar wasn't shit (with most of the sites that sell 3P stuff doing business in USD, I'm looking at a 20-25% premium on stuff that's already pretty pricey).

Quote:
Does anybody have any objective views on X-Transbots Apollyon or DX9 Chigurh?
Apollyon apparently had some QC and breakage issues. Though I'm not sure exactly what the problem was because the only place I know of that extensively covers stuff like this is TFW and as soon as something happens the thread for it there fills up with 20 pages' worth of people all saying the exact same thing, making it all but impossible to actually find any information.

Quote:
It's incredibly silly, but I can never keep track of the Third Party toy names, I do wish people would just call them by what the characters they're actually supposed to be, even if that would probably be more confusing for everyone else.
Same here. When there were just a handful of them from a handful of companies it was easy to keep track, but now there's so many toys with deliberately-generic names out there that I genuinely don't have a clue what people are talking about without Googling. Obviously the companies themselves can't use the names, but you'd think that most fans would have gotten over the "oh, it's okay as long as I pretend it's not really a toy of Swoop!" phase by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
Invisible Not Mirage is comfortably the best thing I've bought that's a robot that turns into a car in the past few months.
That's the one that takes a lot of inspiration from the Classics toy, right? It looked really good, but just like the old toy it was inspired by he really didn't look much like Mirage at all, to me.

Quote:
Yeh, between the licence drones at the Waki trying to pretend 3P isn't happening and the zealots who insist that whatever 3P toy they've just bought for a three-figure sum is miles better than a non-existant HasTak product the web's basically useless. Would simply put more faith in testimonial of non-maniacs here myself; got Invisible on a recommend from Denyer.
It really is a shame that the wiki doesn't have a section for unlicensed stuff. It's such a huge part of the fandom now, and without a central information repository it's nearly impossible to keep track of everything that's getting made.

And the reviews for 3P stuff are terrible. I've seen ones where the toys break on-camera during the review and the reviewers still say its a 5-star fantastic figure. Unfortunately that's what happens when the review scene is dominated by a small number of "celebrity" internet personalities who are sponsored by major toy retailers and often get free sample toys to review from the third-party companies. Even if they're not deliberately shilling, they're still not going to be as hard on something as you or I if they didn't have to pay for it and got it months before everyone else.

Warcry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-10, 08:40 PM   #208
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
**** the DJD.
Hey, it's Transformers Meets Pop Culture Reference, so it can do whatever it likes.

Quote:
That's the one that takes a lot of inspiration from the Classics toy, right? It looked really good, but just like the old toy it was inspired by he really didn't look much like Mirage at all, to me.
Yeh, the engineering is largely nicked from the Classics toy but it doesn't turn into a Lego Racer, which is a plus. TBH it's hard to see where Takara would improve and it's easy to see where they might fail (e.g. putting someone from Animated's name on the sides or something). One of the plusses to 3P is that the theft can be wholesale and there are a few finnicky areas where bypassing traditional retail can genuinely allow an improvement on official releases.

Quote:
Even if they're not deliberately shilling, they're still not going to be as hard on something as you or I if they didn't have to pay for it and got it months before everyone else.
TBH that could go for all TF reviews, especially video ones. There's such a rush to get them online first and show off, which means a lot of stuff like durability issues gets washed over and most are full of the sort of gushing delight just about any new TF gives you.

Old 2015-07-11, 10:52 AM   #209
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Quote:
Same here. When there were just a handful of them from a handful of companies it was easy to keep track, but now there's so many toys with deliberately-generic names out there that I genuinely don't have a clue what people are talking about without Googling. Obviously the companies themselves can't use the names, but you'd think that most fans would have gotten over the "oh, it's okay as long as I pretend it's not really a toy of Swoop!" phase by now.
Thankfully Ebay sellers seem to have no qualms about just calling the things "KYJelly Birdosaur/Masterpiece Swoop", which helps.

I think Quake/Shockwave is my favourite of the third party stuff I own, lovely solid chunky toy.

Old 2015-07-11, 10:14 PM   #210
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Mmm. Mine's facing off against Rodimus at the moment, backed by CW Defensor and FP Bruticus respectively. Replacement Rodimus shoulders FTW.

Quote:
Does anybody have any objective views on X-Transbots Apollyon
Slap a big 'Con logo on it, and it's a nice display piece I have no real intention of transforming. Happy with for the "at cost" price Masterforce were doing the first run at. Corners have been cut on the packaging in a way that makes it feel a bit cheap... but there are a lot of accessories if that's of interest, and pricing's less than the UK release of Soundwave. It looks much better than the official MP and may well have convinced TT it isn't worth doing another official one.

If you can see it in hand or at a convention/dealer before aftermarket prices kick in, with the variable QC that'd probably be best.

Can't speak for the DX9 one but the TW Evila Star version of Astrotrain looks nice (does have rather a lot of thin, delicate parts, though).

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-12, 12:55 AM   #211
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

Quote:
Actually surprised that (as far as I've been able to tell) nobody's had a crack at mass-produced MP style Coneheads.
Didn't iGear do all three a while back?

Like Clay, I love my MMC Feral Rex / Predaking. Probably my joint favourite Transformer - the other being MMC Hexatron / Sixshot. (My third favourite is Masterpiece Bumblebee in case anyone was wondering, followed by ROTF Buster Prime.)

It took me a while to get my head around Third Party being 'OK' but once I did I realised there's some mind blowing stuff out there.

But there's a lot, presumably of variable quality, and I struggle to keep on top of it all.

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
numbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-14, 02:36 AM   #212
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."

Murray, KY
Smile

Quote:

Apparently I'm seriously ****ing picky as well, because Unique Toys' Ordin looks amazeballs but my brain can't currently get past the fact that they've made Cutthroat his arm.
I actually don't mind this as I used Cutthroat as the arm anyway. Blot and Sinnertwin made more sense as legs given their greater bulk. It's a bit of shame the Ordin figures don't scramble, but I'm not overly fussed about it myself.

And Troll (Blot) is really very creative in its transformation. Sinnertwin and Rippersnapper are both sort of "pull legs out, stand up to make robot", but Blot is really well done.

Quote:
Igear put out some modified MP Seekers as Coneheads a few years ago. They're supposedly crazy expensive now.

Quote:
Yeh, between the licence drones at the Waki trying to pretend 3P isn't happening
Quote:
It really is a shame that the wiki doesn't have a section for unlicensed stuff. It's such a huge part of the fandom now, and without a central information repository it's nearly impossible to keep track of everything that's getting made.

See, I kind of understand their point when they say that they want to stick to only official stuff (of which there is plenty), but when their front page has a big advertisement for Green Giant on it (see attached), I want to call that tunnel vision that's not helping people inform themselves.

Quote:
FP are far from the only ones putting out Headmasters, but they've definitely got some of the most diverse offerings out there. Aren't they the ones who designed a new Scramble-City type combiner from scratch as well?
Yes, Glacial Lord they called it.

Quote:
I understand, and sometimes I forget the off-names (I can't remember what Unique Toys call their Rippersnapper off the top of my head), but I tend to use the off-names in conversation here so that whoever is reading the post knows specifically what I'm referring to, and especially so when a character has multiple third party figures to their credit (the Predacons, for instance).

Quote:
And the reviews for 3P stuff are terrible. I've seen ones where the toys break on-camera during the review and the reviewers still say its a 5-star fantastic figure.
Source? Not that I don't believe you; I just want to see it.

Quote:
Unfortunately that's what happens when the review scene is dominated by a small number of "celebrity" internet personalities who are sponsored by major toy retailers and often get free sample toys to review from the third-party companies. Even if they're not deliberately shilling, they're still not going to be as hard on something as you or I if they didn't have to pay for it and got it months before everyone else.
Yeah, video reviews are typically bad. Another thing I've seen is someone trying to figure out a transformation while the camera is running because they were too excited to do so before pressing record.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	waki.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	333.0 KB
ID:	10788  
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-16, 05:26 PM   #213
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Smile

Cheers for facts, info and opinions guys. All really helpful.

Video reviews in general are awful. How hard is it to work out what the toy is, how it transforms and then do a five minute overview piece with competent editing? Feh. Plus I much prefer a text piece with some pics that I can scroll through. Whevs though.

Have ordered a couple of FansToys Dinobots (Slag and Swoop) and pre-ordered the Quakewave reissue. So that's me living on bits of carpet for the next few months. Will let you know what I think of stuff when it turns up.

Old 2015-07-18, 08:18 PM   #214
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

Any word on what Third Party Wreck-Gar "Splinter" is like? I am tempted by his presence in Orbital.

Old 2015-07-18, 09:00 PM   #215
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Design and build quality for the Salmoore version are perfectly reasonable. A few parts are a little loose but the plastic feels fine. Personally the "super gobot" version of Cy-Kill has a lot of sentimental value, so I was excited to pick up a homage (they also went the extra mile with box art) but Splinter is probably the better release and the asymmetrical legs and tyre shields suit a Junkion more.

http://kumastyledesigns.com/toy-revi...-and-salmoore/

If a reasonable price, I'd be tempted myself if I saw it in person.

Old 2015-07-18, 09:10 PM   #216
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

Cool, hadn't realised it was a reworking of the 3P Cy-Kill, mainly been drawn in by the fun box art. That might be a buy thrn if I find the time to pop back tomorrow.

Old 2015-07-21, 05:14 PM   #217
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Smile

Scoria and Soar have arrived and they're beautiful. Really heavy, really sturdy. The left shin cover on Slag keeps popping open and I'm having a lot of trouble to get the tail kibble to stay where it's meant to be (even after retracting the tail), but overall they're just magnificent to behold.

Only real issue is how small MP Grimlock looks in comparison. His head only comes up to Swoop's chest, which is a bit distracting.

Other than that, they're blooming glorious. Oh, and the instructions are marvellous. Especially the "make sure you do this, not this" notes. That's attention to detail.

Also went for Chigurh. Good size, roughly the same scale as the MP Seekers, coming in at just a bit taller. Plastic seems to be decent enough quality for the job. He seems to have more fiddly edges and corners than you'd think scientifically possible though. Nothing dangerous, but enough to make handling him a bit awkward. Hip joints are quite loose.

Transformation was proper "what... what... WHAT... how... what am I even meant to be looking at" stuff in a few places, but I just sort of fumbled my way through and then looked at the instructions for each bit again afterwards to try and correct any glitches. It's not complicated, but the diagram's aren't brilliant, have no text and to be honest the toy's a bit oversized for the complexity. If it were 2/3rds the size with that engineering, it'd be fine, but it just gets in the way of itself (as mentioned, the hip joints are loose so of course the legs kept flopping about all over the place while I was trying to suss out what the hell I'm doing).

All in all though, it's a solid display piece. Not a perfect representation of Astrotrain's animation model, but it's good enough for me.

Last edited by Brendocon 2.0; 2015-07-21 at 06:09 PM.
Old 2015-07-21, 06:50 PM   #218
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

The boots/feet for Grimlock work reasonably well to boost him to the FT size, but they tend to be pricey when they come up on eBay -- search for something like "grimlock (scoria,feet,booster)". More'll be in circulation when the other Scoria releases happen and when FT release Grinder.

Old 2015-07-21, 07:12 PM   #219
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Red face

Oh that's what they are.

They weren't mentioned anywhere in the instruction and the review I was using as picture reference for his back kibble just said they were cannons...

Merci...

Old 2015-07-21, 07:35 PM   #220
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Thumbs up

Oh cool, you've already got. They came with the initial run of Scorias and apparently will come with the first batches of at least the toy and X releases.

Since my dinos are ankle-deep in Beast Saga figures they blend in seamlessly...