• transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Toys & Merch

Old 2015-07-21, 07:43 PM   #221
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Smile

Yes that's much better now. Obviously I've got the comic colour scheme Grimmers so they're not a perfect match, but I'll just stick some stuff in front of him, as you say.

Brendocon 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-21, 07:45 PM   #222
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

Which Scoria did you get? The just released Toy one or the earlier cartoon one?

Be careful with Swoop's thigh covers. The gold [or red, depending on which ver you have] thin strips are very easy to snap off when transforming back to dino mode.

There are fewer breakage reports for the red version, but maybe that's because fewer people have that or because they were more aware due to the slight delay.

Contemplating on actually keeping and paying for my Toy Scoria preorder. Seeing as it's almost a 9 month old preorder I cannot say I am as enamored with the prospect of having him as I was back in December.

Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Knightdramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-21, 07:59 PM   #223
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Thumbs up

Bought the Wreck-Gar before the Majesty's Secret Service/Man With the Golden Gun part of Sunday's Bond triple bill:

https://twitter.com/InflatableDalek/...76076816678912

First impressions are both robot mode and bike mode are great fun (the way you can peg the guns and wheels to different parts of the robot mode helps create a nice Junkion feel to him as well), but getting between the two is hellish fiddly (getting the arms past the silver side bits is especially tricky). Mind, my first thoughts on getting him out the box was "Well he looks nice and simple for a 3P toy" so I may have been unfairly biased by that.

Funky looking guy though.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-21, 08:02 PM   #224
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightdramon View Post
Which Scoria did you get? The just released Toy one or the earlier cartoon one?
The cartoon one with the red head.

Quote:
Be careful with Swoop's thigh covers. The gold [or red, depending on which ver you have] thin strips are very easy to snap off when transforming back to dino mode.
Cheers for the warning.

Old 2015-07-22, 11:37 PM   #225
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denyer View Post
I wouldn't necessary rely on Gigapower releasing a full set.
http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transf...company-4.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalianjj
The designer of gutter already left, that is why you have not seen another dino from them one year and half after the first reveal.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-23, 11:42 PM   #226
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."

Murray, KY
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendocon 2.0 View Post
Scoria and Soar have arrived and they're beautiful. Really heavy, really sturdy. The left shin cover on Slag keeps popping open and I'm having a lot of trouble to get the tail kibble to stay where it's meant to be (even after retracting the tail), but overall they're just magnificent to behold.
Yay, you found permanent forever happiness!

Haven't actually picked up any of the Fans Toys' dinos myself, but I do have their Quakewave. He's lovely and wonderful.

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-29, 06:17 PM   #227
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

By the looks of it retailers are being shorted on the toy redeco of Scoria and/or there's been organised theft, so TFs-Express/Omegalock have had boxes turn up with units missing and stock intended for Kapow has been taken away from them and given to TFE.

This probably isn't going to end well.

[edit] Apparently the replacement stock, which was a small quantity, has come from a Chinese distributor -- Kapow have separately been left high and dry by FansToys. [/edit]

Have ordered one from a seller overseas, which assuming they're accurate about having stock in will probably take a couple of weeks...

Last edited by Denyer; 2015-07-30 at 12:57 AM.
Old 2015-08-04, 11:00 PM   #228
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Smile

Does anyone here have the FP Quickswitch? I still have so much fun fiddling with my MMC Sixshot that I'm starting to itch for another modern Sixchanger. Feedback seems to be pretty thin on the ground compared to some other 3P figures, though. And for obvious reasons, because really, how many people care about Quickswitch?

He's obviously not as slavishly G1 as the Continuum version of Hexatron is, which spoils some of the fun, but on the other hand G1 Quickswitch was horrible so it doesn't matter as much as it did with Sixshot.

Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-04, 11:55 PM   #229
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

There are reports of wear on the ratchet gear for the drill piece (it's too tight as produced) and conversely ball joints were used in places ratchets might have been preferable. Got mine to look pretty, so I haven't encountered issues.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transf...t12257058.html

It's been widely marked down, so it may be worth considering if you go into with eyes open.

Old 2015-08-05, 06:40 PM   #230
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Red face

I've decided I want to be one of those people who gets sent free stuff in exchange for posting half-arsed video reviews where I go "yay toy is amazing" while my elbow obscures what's going on.

Who do I talk to about this?

Old 2015-08-05, 08:00 PM   #231
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

LOL you'd have to ask somebody that's already doing that for pointers.

Apparently some toy stores will sponsor you but you need over 1.000 or so subscribers.

Though I do agree on what you said.

Elbow in the way is optional. You need to be able to talk highly of the toy, no matter what it does or doesn't do. If it falls apart during filming, don't stop, don't even think about re-shooting. No, just keep on going saying how awesome it is and how well it holds together.

If your review sample is in 15 pieces during transformation, don't stop, no, just keep on going and say that it's really intuitive.

Video editing or whatnot is not acceptable. Whatever the f*ck happens, keep filming, and do not edit anything.

Old 2015-08-08, 08:42 PM   #232
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Thumbs up

Quick turnaround on Scoria... fitting in Stomp is going to get tricky, and Sever really needs a corner spot. Because he's ****ing huge. It's not as obvious in-hand.

http://i.imgur.com/4vrVBu7.jpg

Old 2015-08-08, 09:25 PM   #233
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."

Murray, KY
Smile

Pretty.

Is grimlock wearing his booster shoes?

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-08, 11:32 PM   #234
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK

+10 cool points for the Sleeper omnibus.

Old 2015-08-09, 07:06 AM   #235
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

Wow - Sever and Scoria look awesome. I guess the odds of official Masterpiece Snarl and Slag are remote to nil, so these guys could be the way. What's QC like?

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
numbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-09, 01:34 PM   #236
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
Is grimlock wearing his booster shoes?
Yep. Without them the difference to Soar is noticeable. Not taken with the design FT has shown for Grindor (doesn't really fit with either the show or original toy) although I have a suspicion that it'll be re-thought following feedback;

http://i.imgur.com/cV4ndg3.jpg

The herbivores should be quite chunky anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendocon 2.0 View Post
+10 cool points for the Sleeper omnibus.
It's nice they're keeping the stuff out there. And the ~800 page volumes handle okay... tempted to get the Invisibles as it's been a long while since I read it, and if it goes on a massive quality slide partway through like I'm half-remembering it wouldn't take many other like-minded readers to brick Morrison up with one-volume reprints. He'd probably be quite up for being treated like a modern-day pharoah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbat
What's QC like?
If anything the joints on the more recent release of Scoria are a little too tight, but unless anyone's looking to re-enact Dancing on Ice moves I think quality overall (and compared to pricing of much smaller figures) has been good. Soar having plastic knee bits seems to be the main slightly daft design decision. Also, sorry, meant to PM you yesterday.

Suppose I should mention some of those aren't the weapons that came with the figures. Picked up some MP swords from a Chinese seller ages ago when the FT dinos started being released, and there're contributions from G2 SS and ArtTek. That's Sever's actual gun though.

Last edited by Denyer; 2015-08-09 at 01:59 PM.
Old 2015-08-09, 03:51 PM   #237
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

Quote:
Also, sorry, meant to PM you yesterday.
No worries or rush. I'm still interested in your old Scoria if he's looking for a home.

I am also interested in knowing more about how Sever has turned out. Snarl and Slag were my fave Dinobots and big MP style toys are very appealing. I just worry a bit about QC as I have no experience of FT and it sounds like there have been issues with some of their releases.

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
numbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-09, 08:19 PM   #238
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

There are minor issues with most, if not all, of their releases. Snarl is pretty much solid from the feedback I've seen. Scoria should hold up fine, especially since you are getting a second hand, properly inspected copy.

All three weigh about the same. I've got Soar and let me tell you, it's been quite, quite some time since I've held a figure with such heft.

One thing to note is that if a joint seems too tight on any of them, try to loosen it. FT's response to loose joints on Scoria was to tighten everything a billion times more than they should. I had to loosen 3-4 joints on my Soar to make it transformable!

Old 2015-08-09, 09:17 PM   #239
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

FT claim there were about 9000 Quakewaves produced over the original three runs, so assuming figures since have been in anywhere near the same ballpark for numbers the proportion with which issues have been reported is low.

Expectations have shifted a bit as well... Scoria originally sold for the price the subsequent limited edition X version and the larger scale Asia exclusive MP releases went for, which may explain some of the extra loudness of complaints about the shoulders.

Of all of them, I'd be most concerned about Sever's plates and Soar's knees in a fall. Other than that it's really just a case of handle with proportionate care.

Old 2015-08-11, 04:51 PM   #240
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Smile

Quote:
It's nice they're keeping the stuff out there. And the ~800 page volumes handle okay... tempted to get the Invisibles as it's been a long while since I read it, and if it goes on a massive quality slide partway through like I'm half-remembering it wouldn't take many other like-minded readers to brick Morrison up with one-volume reprints. He'd probably be quite up for being treated like a modern-day pharoah.
Currently picking up the 12-issue "deluxe" hardcovers for the Invisibles. Omnibuses (omnibi?) are great shelf-pieces but I think that one probably falls just the wrong side of needing to buy a lectern to read the damn thing.

BadCube's BugCorp arrived in today's post. First impressions are positive. Tight joints, nice detailing. Plastic feels a solid quality. It's the value pack so doesn't have the chrome, but the silver is still good and shiny on its own merits.

Haven't transformed them yet, but they look fairly straightforward. I think some of the joints might be a bit on the over-tightened side, but not to the degree where I'm expecting things to break. Had a bit of an issue getting the fists open to get their guns in, but that's probably due to me having no nails at the moment. Weapons seem to be held really well ("T" shaped handles rather than the "-|-" that Takara seem to favour these days).

A touch bigger than I expected, to be honest. Bombshell's a shade taller than their version of Brawn. So still smaller than an Autobot MP car, but not by as much as I was anticipating.

Might have a proper muck about later and report back again, but as it stands they're excellent "straight onto the shelf in robot mode" category items.