• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Toys & Merch

Old 2015-06-07, 08:54 PM   #161
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

What did we say about what the quality of these KO's is? Might be tempted for Tigertrack [around 12 or so pounds posted?] but that's assuming he won't fall apart on my hands nor require baby hands to handle---how's the looseness/tightness on them?

Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Knightdramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-08, 06:36 PM   #162
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Obviously KOs are a bit of a pot luck situation, but I haven't had a problem with the G2 Sideswipe I picked up (for labelling/custom purposes) or the Sideswipe I got via Tom or the Prowl I picked up later, both of which were for a friend. The G2 one was maybe fractionally looser.

I'm tempted to get a KO Smokescreen and Red Alert but probably wouldn't display them, and already have a blue Bluestreak ordered.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-08, 10:54 PM   #163
Thunderwave
Gestalt

Upstate, NY

I've been tempted to snag one of the KO Fansproject City Commander sets kicking about. Anyone have any experience with them? I really don't feel like dropping the insane amount of cash people want for one these days.

Thunderwave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-08, 11:12 PM   #164
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

I think these days you might be better going with CW Magnus, unless you already have a Classics Magnus to put the City Commander armour over. They're actually very close in size (leader class TFs have really shrunk...) and the CW one seems to display well with voyagers and larger deluxes judging by recent pics.

City Commander has dated but I still like it -- and it doesn't have huge pylon shoulders, which makes fitting it on a shelf easier. It's less a toy and more a loose collection of bits that just about holds together and displays nicely. How much of that is being a KO rather than original I couldn't say.

This may not be consistent but the KO set I've got has silver missiles rather than red.

Old 2015-06-10, 02:59 AM   #165
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."

Murray, KY

I've had Warbotron Dudicus for a month now and feel comfortable saying that I find it the least impressive of all the third party combiners I've assembled. So much of the design and production seems obviously rushed compared to the other sets I've got. My big complaint are the arm modes for Blast Off and Vortex: they just sort of have their robot arms dangling in space, no where to go. The final culmination has been kind of underwhelming.

However, they did a lot of things right. The combined mode is incredibly stable and the joints are solid, and I like that Onslaught isn't much bigger than the rest of the team by way of having the trailer make the lower torso. And I do like the wrap-around head. Plus they absolutely nailed Swindle.

So, yeah... it's a mixed bag. I intend to keep it, but I would probably skip it if I did it over again.

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-12, 07:09 PM   #166
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

Got my replacement parts for MMC Vos on the post today.

Was able to give him a new spine and put the old one [with stress marks] aside. Definitely my least fave 3rd party figure in terms of build [mine has flimsy joints all over] but displays nicely as long as you just leave him alone.

The figure would get immensely better if it had a locking point for the waist plate that just swings around.

Old 2015-06-14, 10:23 PM   #167
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

First time since I got him in...Feb/March? I put on the golden chrome beak on my Red Soar.

Looks much better in robot mode. I think I stripped the bottom screw [closest to his beak] too much for me to effectively change it back.

Also tried doing a swap over to the wings---non-chromed ones did not look as nice, although their detail is nicely refined.

Anybody else attempt this change/has customized their Soar? I just did it so he looks closer to the others, which are to be released soon if rumours are to be believed

Old 2015-06-14, 11:27 PM   #168
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Not yet, but am planning to swap the wings. Will probably wait until more dinos arrive.

Old 2015-06-16, 07:08 PM   #169
Ryan F
hunts pandas for lolz

Ryan's special comic Soar: red torso, light grey arms, gold beak and dino feet.

Ryan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-18, 08:04 PM   #170
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

That appears to be some delicate surgery involving at least two 100+ GBP figures...or one figure and good painting/chroming skills

The more I fiddle with him, the more I like my Soar. He's just...solid. Nothing fancy, no outrageous design cues, not trying to turn the world around by a transformation scheme. Just good, old-fashioned ratchets, proper die-cast heft, and good looks.

Only downside is that he and Scoria weigh more or less the same, but Soar's smaller, so when I get Scoria I'll kind of subconsciously expect more but get the same...

Old 2015-06-18, 08:10 PM   #171
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

I was wondering about picking up a third party Snarl, as he was my favourite Dinobot (and Stegosaurus my favourite dinosaur). I almost ordered a Gigapower Guttur, which looks awesome, then realised there were a gazillion other third party Snarls, and the upcoming Fanstoys Sever looks pretty cool as well. How the bejeezus do you decide with so many Dinobot options? I may well end up with none because I'm so confused and frustrated!

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
numbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-18, 09:02 PM   #172
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Mix-and-match works, IMO. Since you like larger MP stuff the FT ones probably fit best though (mine are separate, they don't scale with most of my collection.)

Also quite a lot of people seem to have had QC problems with Guttur. I wouldn't necessary rely on Gigapower releasing a full set. But as a standalone, it does look nice.

http://i.imgur.com/kwmyVvP.jpg

Old 2015-06-18, 09:05 PM   #173
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

As far as I'm aware, gigapower's release has a few issues [or are they super exaggeration by fanboys?]. FT sever is just getting released this week as far as I know.

Mix n match approach also works

Old 2015-06-18, 09:22 PM   #174
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Some of the complaints I've seen aren't from people who're prone to exaggeration, put it that way. Per Maz's pics, it's a nice design even if not in scale with anything. The potential issues have seen it heavily marked down, so it might be worth considering.

http://www.kapowtoys.co.uk/gigapower-guttur-snarl.html

http://i.imgur.com/Eiy1tJ5.jpg

Old 2015-06-19, 06:28 AM   #175
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denyer View Post
Mix-and-match works, IMO. Since you like larger MP stuff the FT ones probably fit best though (mine are separate, they don't scale with most of my collection.)
I do like smaller stuff too, and have a lot of Classics/Generations, Movie lines and Prime. However, they don't display as well, and my wife tolerates high end stuff on show in the study, but not anything else (which she says look like Happy Meal toys...). So I have probably become more biased towards Masterpiece partly because I can have them out somewhere in the house to play with and appreciate easily!

Quote:
Also quite a lot of people seem to have had QC problems with Guttur. I wouldn't necessary rely on Gigapower releasing a full set. But as a standalone, it does look nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightdramon View Post
As far as I'm aware, gigapower's release has a few issues [or are they super exaggeration by fanboys?]. FT sever is just getting released this week as far as I know.

Mix n match approach also works
Thanks for the heads-up on QC. It seems to not be overly common from what I read, but still a concern. That said, haven't all of Fanstoys ones had QC issues too?

Still, Sever looks like he'd fit my collection better. I may wait and see how that goes.

Quote:
Some of the complaints I've seen aren't from people who're prone to exaggeration, put it that way. Per Maz's pics, it's a nice design even if not in scale with anything. The potential issues have seen it heavily marked down, so it might be worth considering.
It would probably be a standalone anyway, as I'm unlikely to collect a full set of MP Dinobots. That reduced price makes the decision harder! But, I think on balance I'll wait and see how Sever goes in QC terms. I don't like the idea of having to fix a 100+ figure. It pissed me off enough with Justitoys WST Swoop...

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Also items on eBay.
Old 2015-06-19, 07:44 AM   #176
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

I am tempted by a Swoop, and Soar does seem to be the one of choice for most people. One of those things to look out for at AA I suspect.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-19, 01:04 PM   #177
Ryan F
hunts pandas for lolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightdramon View Post
That appears to be some delicate surgery involving at least two 100+ GBP figures...or one figure and good painting/chroming skills
No, my customising skills suck - I just swapped the torsos round - all it took was a screwdriver!

I'm all aboard the TF bus when it comes to dinos. They have some crazy-cool engineering (I still wonder at Scoria's leg transformation) and they're a name I trust, which in the grand scheme of things is pretty important to me.

I've been burnt quite a few times (KFC, X-Transbots), and with me it's a case of 'one strike, you're out'. Given the choice between FansToys (whose Shockwave was immense) and complete unknowns Giga-Power (despite both companies boasting great designs), there was only one winner.

Ryan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-19, 07:00 PM   #178
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbat
Happy Meal toys...
Would tend to agree on a lot of main-line stuff, but it does seem a bit odd to commit to having kids if brightly coloured tat is a concern.

Quote:
haven't all of Fanstoys ones had QC issues too?
So have the official MP releases, and not just the chronic ones such as Rodimus. Besides there being fundamental tolerance and wear issues with anything that's handled. Personally haven't been unlucky with Scoria's shoulders (although I am planning to get the comic version and sell or pass on the original) or Soar's knees.

Quote:
It would probably be a standalone anyway, as I'm unlikely to collect a full set of MP Dinobots. That reduced price makes the decision harder! But, I think on balance I'll wait and see how Sever goes in QC terms. I don't like the idea of having to fix a 100+ figure. It pissed me off enough with Justitoys WST Swoop...
As I say, I can well see Gigapower bailing on release of a set or disappearing -- i.e. Gutturs will be around for a while without a big jump in secondary price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalek
I am tempted by a Swoop, and Soar does seem to be the one of choice for most people. One of those things to look out for at AA I suspect.
I don't think AA really offers anything in terms of toy prices. Suspect they won't go lower than the (also quite heavy) reduction at the moment;

http://www.kapowtoys.co.uk/fanstoys-...red-swoop.html

The trouble for retailers is that most people seem to go for the first release and/or cartoon ones, plus there's drop-off as people give up on completing sets for various reasons. So the trend is towards pre-orders only and not carrying additional stock.

Old 2015-06-19, 07:45 PM   #179
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

Quote:
Would tend to agree on a lot of main-line stuff, but it does seem a bit odd to commit to having kids if brightly coloured tat is a concern.

Quote:
So have the official MP releases, and not just the chronic ones such as Rodimus. Besides there being fundamental tolerance and wear issues with anything that's handled. Personally haven't been unlucky with Scoria's shoulders (although I am planning to get the comic version and sell or pass on the original) or Soar's knees.
Fair point. I've not encountered issues with any of the MP releases myself. Perhaps the issues with Fanstoys are equally uncommon? I did get that impression about Guttur too though, from reading around. I guess the thing is if you're unlucky it's a right bugger.

Quote:
The trouble for retailers is that most people seem to go for the first release and/or cartoon ones, plus there's drop-off as people give up on completing sets for various reasons. So the trend is towards pre-orders only and not carrying additional stock.
I must admit I'm a fan of the cartoon versions normally - and those are the ones that tend to sell out at pre-order stage (before anyone knows about how good they are, let alone QC issues), and rocket in price...

Much food for thought though. I've been looking at the Fanstoys not-Dinobots more, and they actually look very good indeed. I like that Scoria comes with those platform shoes for MP Grimlock too. They are very tempting. I'm just not sure I can survive committing to buying a full set of MP-scale Dinobots.

Also items on eBay.
Old 2015-06-19, 08:35 PM   #180
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

Quote:

As I say, I can well see Gigapower bailing on release of a set or disappearing -- i.e. Gutturs will be around for a while without a big jump in secondary price.

I don't think AA really offers anything in terms of toy prices. Suspect they won't go lower than the (also quite heavy) reduction at the moment;

http://www.kapowtoys.co.uk/fanstoys-...red-swoop.html

I guess that lady numbat views the figures as I do---toys are bad if they are on display by adults, adults need more high end collectibles around

The 3 FT Dinos so far [Scoria and the 2 Soars] are -generally- ok, but if you have an issue with one of them, the issue is magnified on how OCD you can be. Loose arms on Scoria would bug the hell out of me, for instance.

Both my Soar figures had great joints, but the first one had a broken part right out of the box. The thigh covers are problematic and require care.

Sever did not appear to have issues from the test shots reviewed so far...