• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Media & Fandom > New Comics

Old 2014-12-04, 04:10 PM   #1
zigzagger
There ain't no Sanity Clause

Default Transformers: More than Meets the Eye #36

Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye #36 three-page preview by way of iTunes.

Set for release on December 17!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mtmte 36 p1.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	249.8 KB
ID:	10499   Click image for larger version

Name:	mtmte 36 p2-3.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	301.3 KB
ID:	10500  
zigzagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-04, 04:23 PM   #2
Rack 'n Ruin
Unregistered User

Debris, UK

Merry Christmas, MTMTEers!

Wreck and Rule!
Rack 'n Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-04, 05:09 PM   #3
zigzagger

Smile

Guess Perceptor worked a way around the whole spark compatibility thing. With 'magic', presumably.

More importantly, we're getting time traveling hijinks with the old gang (and Riptide ). Which is good, because I've missed them.

Also -- Windcharger is dismembering someone with his magnetic powers (!!!!). I hope we don't get some in-story explanation why he's no longer awesome presently.

Old 2014-12-04, 05:30 PM   #4
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer

Ireland

So this is basically the TF version of days of future past with the X-men replaced with the Outlier. Yay!

Glad to see the original gang more prominent here too. Some interesting times ahead hopefully.

Re-sparks and such - I'm guessing Rungs spark may be a key to this time machine working? Interesting as well that there is no megatron in the crew.

Red Dave Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-04, 05:39 PM   #5
zigzagger

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dave Prime View Post
I'm guessing Rungs spark may be a key to this time machine working?
Oh, good call. What with Rung having the "brightest spark" and all, and he is holding the briefcase.

Quote:
Interesting as well that there is no megatron in the crew.
At this point, the crew thinks Brainstorm is after Pax... so, uhhh, out of conflict of interests, Megatron's been excluded from all the time traveling hijinks maybe...????

Old 2014-12-04, 06:19 PM   #6
Terome
Indigent

Brighton

Looks like they brought the A-Team and Tailgate.

So around the time of Megatron: Origin, Orion Pax and his merry men were protecting baby sparks? From the Functionists?

The make-up of the time team is interesting. Megatron, I can understand, by why no Ultra Magnus? Is it because they'd run into a previous Ultra Magnus and have to explain a thing or two? That would be a good reason to send Tailgate, Cyclonus and Riptide. But then there's a version of Rodimus and Whirl from this time, right?

I'm sure it will all get explained.

Terome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-04, 11:01 PM   #7
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer

Ireland

Or.... Magnus and Megatron are leading a second team (Team: Megamags) on a separate raid against a strike against megs. I'm guessing Megs could be that spark for that one.

Although I am hedging bets that the reason some of this are not being include is the possibility they might meet themselves - Skids is another odd one not in.

Old 2014-12-04, 11:06 PM   #8
Rack 'n Ruin
Unregistered User

Debris, UK

Science seems poorly represented for a time jump away team. Wot no Perceptor or Nautica?

However, soooooooooooooooo looking forward to this. Not only Roller, but the Outliers again. Windcharger is back!

Wreck and Rule!
Rack 'n Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-05, 12:48 AM   #9
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

I think that these are the spark compatible bots. Which is weird because certain sub groups are compatible between them [ie cyclonus and tailgate, chromedome and riptide] but not all of them.

Roller is Tarn. Head shape is the same [just imagine a symbol over it], smashes a bot's head the same way he killed ALL Swerve.

Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Knightdramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-05, 01:02 AM   #10
Unicron
Time for plan bee-weeoop

Interesting choice of team members, and that was such a Rodimus entrance.

And Roller with the Kremzeek brand juice box again. Love it

Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-05, 09:57 AM   #11
Terome
Indigent

Brighton

Roller is also, as we see here, a bit of a sadist. In a heroic way, but he is still running down a fleeing enemy.

Terome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-06, 01:15 PM   #12
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer

Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightdramon View Post
I think that these are the spark compatible bots. Which is weird because certain sub groups are compatible between them [ie cyclonus and tailgate, chromedome and riptide] but not all of them.

Roller is Tarn. Head shape is the same [just imagine a symbol over it], smashes a bot's head the same way he killed ALL Swerve.

Yeah the head shape is near identical. The only difference I can see is that behind the mask tarn has a small circle ornament in the centre of his forehead (could simply be a design choice). But the overall shape is identical, face would work with the face under the tarn mask and the side circle things are a match. Roller, you bastard.

Curious how this will play out. Possible angles to me could be:

1. Megatron returns at some point to the past as well, saves roller or impresses him to the point that this is what makes Tarn such a follower (in the style of Terminator time travel: its already happened and Brainstorm isnt really changing the past, he always went back in time and it created the current timeline regardless)

2. Something happens that changes the course for Roller and he no longer becomes Tarn - leading to the DJD either being defeated without a shot firing or someone even more sadistic in charge of the DJD (Overlord would be funny as a Megatron Patsy in an alternate future)

3. Roller returns to the future with this lost light crew but its the repaired future so future roller is still Tarn and this roller can exsist because of the briefcase effect a-la rewind - which of course leads to a Tarn v Roller show down.

Either way, december promises to be a month full of rol-lol-lol-ering. (sorry, couldn't resist that)

Old 2014-12-07, 09:34 AM   #13
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

It can go either way---the way it's set up, Roller already dislikes and is fighting the corrupt Autobots.

Plus, out of all these bots in Pax's crew, one of them ratted them out at the end of Shadowplay and we still don't know who it is.

Or Roller could be deep undercover to infiltrate the Decepticons, and maybe gets carried away.

One thing I'm thinking off is that Orion's crew are working with Zeta [at the time still charismatic and not crazy]. It would explain how they go from outlaw miscasts when Sentinel was a Prime to proper police officers again under Zeta Prime.

Old 2014-12-07, 11:28 PM   #14
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer

Ireland

Like the deep under cover idea. That works nicely.

Just to muddy the waters, Skids has a very similar head build to Tarn. Smaller, but similar. Time travel mix-up? Nah, I'm probably just reaching with that one.

Old 2014-12-16, 03:16 PM   #15
zigzagger

Rest of the preview is up @ Tformers.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mtmte36 pg4-5.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	425.5 KB
ID:	10510  
Old 2014-12-17, 09:11 PM   #16
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

OUT AND READ.

Hehehehehehehehehe. Roberts is so trolling Knightdramon, after all the heavy handed hints this issue I think it's a safe bet that the last person on Cybertron Tarn will turn out to be is Roller.

Other quick thoughts before I head off to work:

Dang, that was good.

Loved the half hearted excuses for the presence of all the characters who were already in the past ("Day release").

At the end the Sparks are sent to the place Hot Rod happens to come from, considering he's likely at least a bit younger than the likes of Pax did he actually just help with his own creation (and thus this is a circular paradox where their actions are already part of the past?).

What is Brainstorm up to jumping about through time? Actually being after Megatron at this point seems unlikely as he could have Got him at his first stop, but them Pax was fairly vulnerable out in the open like that here as well...

Fantastic double bluff on Trailbreaker there.

Boy, everyone was a bit too trusting about that handshake weren't they? In an age where these outlaws are presumably living in fear of brain alteration if they get caught no one notices Prime suddenly acting all odd after touching Chromedome?

[The "Past Prime interacts with future Autobots and then looses his memory of it" idea is reworked, incredibly loosely, from Eugenesis]

Has Windcharger been seen in the present? He's so awesome he might actually be Tarn.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-17, 09:47 PM   #17
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

Read it as well--brilliant stuff, but then again, a tad bit overhyped by Roberts himself ---"Best interiors from Alex Milne".

Considering that the last issue was densely packed and into proper sci-fi area, I thought this one would be, visually at least...richer than Pax and company in a desert!

That being said, it was a nice and full issue. I ain't sure why Tailgate is "allowed" back in time when more able bots could go back---everybody on the team serves a purpose except for him.

I feel the trolling as well when it comes to Tarn, but hey, I've been onto his identity for nearly 30 months now, it was about time I get some validation. -If- this is indeed him, then it was drawn out too long to have any real surprise, sadly. Still looking forward to it, as it appears Chromedome's tinkering actually made everybody forget about him when he went missing.

Neat background story with Zeta pulling the strings---he appears to genuinely be a good guy up until after he became a Prime. Perhaps we'll see him at the last part of this time travel?

Brainstorm's been set up for something else---I don't think he's out to kill Pax. Especially in the time periods he ends up at, Pax is already too famous and strong, not to mention surrounded by his own X-Men. It's like going after Whirl when he's in the Wreckers.

Windcharger was seen or mentioned in RID last year, I think...

Old 2014-12-17, 10:49 PM   #18
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Fastball special!

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-18, 01:07 AM   #19
Unicron
Time for plan bee-weeoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
Hehehehehehehehehe. Roberts is so trolling Knightdramon, after all the heavy handed hints this issue I think it's a safe bet that the last person on Cybertron Tarn will turn out to be is Roller.
My money is still on Roller getting swept up in the time jump and thus becoming a member of the Lost Light crew. Or a heroic sacrifice along the way to getting things fixed.

Quote:
At the end the Sparks are sent to the place Hot Rod happens to come from, considering he's likely at least a bit younger than the likes of Pax did he actually just help with his own creation (and thus this is a circular paradox where their actions are already part of the past?).
Seems to be that you're right, that it's all one of those predestination things.

Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-18, 05:36 AM   #20
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer

Ireland

Hmmmm...

Not loving this as much as some of you. Its good... but not really engaging. Quite forget-able to be honest, much as the past bots feel.

Suffers on a few parts (and do bear in mind, I'm not saying this is a terrible issue, I just think it lacks a bit)

1. Roller - cover boy is really a side line player unless this is the actual origin of Tarn. Otherwise its a bit too much of a red-herring. Look at what we get here - Cover star. Addiction. Veeeerrry similar shoulders and head design. Told that the Megatron diarys are super inspiring. Very committed to causes. Gets the left side of his face shot off. Gets forgotten by his own troops, and probably picked up the head messing enemies. If he isn't tarn, then this is a waste. I'm all for sleight of hand but by this point, if Tarn aint roller than we will need a seperate plot to explain why not.

2. Time jumps - on the one hand, I like that Roberts is not spending too much time on the science of this and focusing on the story. But on the other hand, its very flimsy how so many of the LL crew can jump back - some of whom really dont have any need to.

3. The phone conversation - cute but not as cute as it wants to be. It felt unbelievable to be honest that Pax would converse with Megs so easily, even given that at this point they arent mortal enemies. He is still a law man and megs is still a dissident.

4. Speaking of Pax, He thrusts the story about the LL crew being linked to Sentinal far too easy - given that he only knows Whirl as a criminal and Thumbler / domey as possibly a member of the institute and recognises the autobot symbol as a sign of oppression.

Look, its not a bad issue and there are some really nice ideas going on here - Rodimus saving himself (once I read Nyon, that was an instant link), the reason prowl and domey break up, rewind knowing the alternate history and the trailcutter non-save were all cool. And while I'm not sure what interiors Roberts was raving about, I did love Milners Orion Pax art. But I think the issue itself is quite throw away and is only got some value if Tarn IS roller.

On that point, I was thinking that maybe at this point Roberts is happy that everyone knows who is behind the mask and is simply building up his main villain so that when we do get the big showdown with the actual lost light, it has some relevance. In that case, origins:tarn fits the bill nicely. Otherwise this issue just about fills the gap until the next.