• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers News & Rumours

Old 2016-03-28, 01:34 PM   #481
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

Yeah, the similarities end at the Groove retool, more or less.

The main torso has a remoulded chest, head and new guns.

Car is Wheeljack/Breakdown instead of Dead End

Drill is Rook remould instead of Brawl [from what I hear about Brawl, this is for the best]

Jet is Blast Off remould instead of Air Raid.

Hasbro version, though, has a scrounge repaint [Cosmos? I think] and the new fists and toes [better shape and ankle tilts] from the Victorion mould.

Knightdramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-28, 01:50 PM   #482
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Weird. Gonna be interesting to see both side-by-side when released.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-28, 04:21 PM   #483
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

It's really strange to see such a difference between the two. But it kinda sucks for Technobot fans, honestly, because neither one is clearly better than the other and the "ultimate" Computron would be a Frankensteined mix of parts from both. Takara's got the better Nosecone (both in terms of mold and look), but Hasbro's got the new feet and hands. Plus Hasbro definitely used the better toys for their Lightspeed and Strafe, but Takara's are going to look more G1 even if they'll be less fun to mess with. And of course Hasbro's got Scrounge, and even though he's got nothing to do with the Technobots it's still a great toy done up in nice colours as a very popular obscure character.

Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-28, 04:32 PM   #484
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
Plus Hasbro definitely used the better toys for their Lightspeed and Strafe
Considering Strafe's a reworked version of a toy none of us have handled yet, I think it's jumping a gun a bit to say Hasbro's version is better.

With you on Lightspeed though. I can see why they've done it, what with the amount of Dead End reworkings we've already had and the need to get their money's worth on designs across the board, but it's just a shame because the Breakdown design is pretty poor.

Brendocon 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-28, 05:07 PM   #485
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

That's fair. I'm mostly judging Takara Blast Off for being ugly as hell, but he could very well be a solid design under all that ugly and the new Strafe parts (and colours) might make the alt-mode less of a disaster.

Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-28, 10:38 PM   #486
Tantrum
Systems Analyst

Aquidneck Island, RI, USA

Except for shuttle Blast-Off and "15 RACING", I've prefered the Hasbro designs so far. But I think Computron'll be the first Takara one I'll order.

Scattorshot - I like the new getalt chest/head on the Takara version. (T)

Afterburner - Seems to be a wash, but I can't be sure, yet. (tie)

Strafe - Air-Raid's alt mode is sleeker, which suits Strafe. But, I don't have the shuttle mold yet. If Hasbro releases shuttle Blast-off stateside, I'd prefer Hasbro Strafe. If not, I'd prefer Takara Strafe for variety. (depends)

Lightspeed - I prefer the Wheeljack/Lambo mold. The solid kneecap looks better than the other car's hollow kneecap, especially for Computron, who had a big chunk of car on his knee in G1. Plus, this mold works better with its HFG. (T)

Nosecone - My Brawl's waist doesn't flop around, so I like the mold better than most people do. But, I may not be so lucky again, and wouldn't want to return an entire gestalt for one limb. On the other hand, the Rook retool has a visible gap in leg mode, and looks like the hands are even less hidden than the Swindle/Hound version. I think I'd go Takara, just for the bigger drill. (T)

Hand/feet - I like the articulated fingers of the Hasbro version, but don't really care about ankle tilts. I'd rather be able to use the HFGs with the deluxe toys, and have Computron look similar to my other gestalts. (T)

Scrounge - I don't own Cosmos, and a UFO would be a unique alt-mode for me. There looks to be a minicon attached, too. I doubt I'd use them with Computron, but would like them. (H)

So, that's 4 reasons for the Takara version, one tie, one unknown. The only sure reason I'd like the hasbro one better doesn't even have to do with Computron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
It's really strange to see such a difference between the two. But it kinda sucks for Technobot fans, honestly, because neither one is clearly better than the other and the "ultimate" Computron would be a Frankensteined mix of parts from both. Takara's got the better Nosecone (both in terms of mold and look), but Hasbro's got the new feet and hands. Plus Hasbro definitely used the better toys for their Lightspeed and Strafe, but Takara's are going to look more G1 even if they'll be less fun to mess with. And of course Hasbro's got Scrounge, and even though he's got nothing to do with the Technobots it's still a great toy done up in nice colours as a very popular obscure character.
Both versions have their up and down sides. If you can find somebody whose preference are opposite yours, you could buy one Hasbro, one Takara, and each get what you want. I doubt I'll be able to find anyone who wants Takara Strafe and the rest Hasbro, though.

Tantrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-29, 06:15 PM   #487
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

MP Shockwave review in Japanese

Like the perfect transformation of his backpack/canon. Also impressed about the leg locking and compressing, looks like it might be a test bed for compressing a potential MP Megatron V2.0.

Old 2016-03-29, 06:41 PM   #488
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightdramon View Post
Also impressed about the leg locking and compressing, looks like it might be a test bed for compressing a potential MP Megatron V2.0.
I thought that when I saw the stock photos. I'll save the surprise / excitement for when my MP Shockwave arrives... Hopefully not long!

numbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-30, 01:00 PM   #489
Ryan F
hunts pandas for lolz

Apparently there are reports of QC issues on MP Ramjet - some mis-assembly on the arms making it hard to tab them into the wings, and cases where people have had two identical null-rays, rather than mirrored for each side. Dunno how widespread this is...

Ryan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-30, 01:48 PM   #490
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Red face

Well I just got the shipping notification for mine, so that'll be some exciting niggles for me to bitch about in the "new acquisitions" thread at the weekend.

Old 2016-03-30, 05:59 PM   #491
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

MP Shockwave shipped from Japan.

Hopefully here by mid week next week, or Saturday if I'm overly optimistic...

Old 2016-03-30, 07:53 PM   #492
Unicron
Time for plan bee-weeoop

Mine shipped (along with a Hot Rod I've had waiting for combined shipping purposes) and is due in on Monday. Having heard a lot about it, guess I need to track down something to seal/protect the chrome on Hot Rod

Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-31, 06:25 AM   #493
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicron View Post
Having heard a lot about it, guess I need to track down something to seal/protect the chrome on Hot Rod
Is this something I need to do with my MP Hot Rod?

He came without any of the chrome wear others are reporting, but from what I'm catching wind of this may not last?

If so - any tips as how to protect the chrome folks?

(With my limited 'me' time the last couple of weekends spent trying to fix some of MP Megatron's problems, why not spend this weekend future-proofing MP Hot Rod...? )

Old 2016-03-31, 02:23 PM   #494
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Smile

Takara's Scattershot
https://www.facebook.com/DaimChocRep...42081836142251

Old 2016-03-31, 04:38 PM   #495
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

Quite different from Hasbro's. Takara seem to be going all out with Unite Warriors.

Old 2016-03-31, 09:27 PM   #496
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."

Murray, KY
Smile

Yeah, and what's even weirder is that both companies' figures are being developed simultaneously this time instead of Takara's version trailing a few months behind.

It's almost as if they hadn't planned this out very well, lol.

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-31, 09:43 PM   #497
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
Yeah, and what's even weirder is that both companies' figures are being developed simultaneously this time instead of Takara's version trailing a few months behind.

"We could do Computron next?"
"Yes! Let's do Computicon!"
"How about we release them together this time, instead of making people angry because you've waited and done something different?"
"Excellent plan! We'll meet back next week and discuss it some more?"
"Yes!"

[...]

"So, anyway, this is what our design team have put together for.. what's that?"
"Computicon!"
"Ah. Right. Okay."

Old 2016-03-31, 09:54 PM   #498
Unicron
Time for plan bee-weeoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbat View Post
Is this something I need to do with my MP Hot Rod?

He came without any of the chrome wear others are reporting, but from what I'm catching wind of this may not last?

If so - any tips as how to protect the chrome folks?

(With my limited 'me' time the last couple of weekends spent trying to fix some of MP Megatron's problems, why not spend this weekend future-proofing MP Hot Rod...? )
From what I've read, it seems the chrome coat on Hot Rod (and Ironhide, as I recall) wasn't the best job. Seems like it's easy to scratch, scuff, or even just wear off from normal handling.

The usual suggestion is to apply a clear coat of something that would protect the chrome. A common cheap option I keep seeing is a particular brand of floor polish (varies by country, in the US it's a particular type of Pledge. Used to be called Future). It acrylic and is supposed to protect things well with 2-3 coats.

Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-02, 04:33 PM   #499
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post

I think that this is because previous teams either had one new mould and just deco changes between then, whereas this one is a completely different beast altogether.

Or maybe Hasbro just changed their mind and tried to get in on the giftset thing, because their Betatron followed by a giftset makes little sense

Old 2016-04-02, 04:41 PM   #500
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Smile

Pictures of Takara's Afterburner and Lightspeed...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uw afterburner.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	11044   Click image for larger version

Name:	uw afterburner2.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	11045   Click image for larger version

Name:	uw lightspeed.jpg
Views:	43