Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers News & Rumours

Old 2017-11-15, 05:10 PM   #721
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
I honestly don't see the distinction. In either case you wind up paying premium prices for an inferior product.
If you don't see the difference between the attitudes of "this isn't ideal, but it's within acceptable parameters and I'm not sure it could be done better" and "I think this is a sack of crap but what the hell, toys are difficult to make so please take my money" then I'm not going to try and explain it any further.

Brendocon 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-15, 08:05 PM   #722
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Talking

I absolutely see the difference! Quote #1 is what people tell themselves so they don't have to admit that they're actually behaving like Quote #2.

But honestly, for the price they're asking I just don't think that "I'm not sure it could be done better" is good enough. For a $250 MSRP we should be talking about one of the best Transformers ever, full stop, no reservations or hedging. Anything less than that (like, say, a one-mode wonder that people will actively avoid transforming into its Panelsaurus mode) should be unacceptable considering the price they're asking.

I understand the desire for a good Dinobot toy, because he's a great character who's never had a figure that was better than meh. And the MP is definitely better than either the original or the Universe toy. But buying this at anything close to MSRP will only send the message that mediocrity is good enough, even at this price tag.

Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-15, 09:19 PM   #723
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

^Agreed. If this really is going to come out at $250 and there's no subsequent reduction on that price, then I won't be touching Dinobot and will stick with the original version - which, flaws aside, is still a fun toy with a good alt mode and robot mode (the panels of dino-bod that make the arms not locking into place are what really harm the original toy, IMO - I can live with the dangly robot legs in beast mode). It's a shame, because Hasbro and Takara have been doing some generally excellent work lately.

A premium collector piece does need to be something pretty amazing to command a $250 price tag, and this just doesn't have it and looks almost as messy as the horrible CHUG design.

...Maybe they should have just gone for the Transmetal designs to make life easier...

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-23, 04:56 PM   #724
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."

Murray, KY

Magazine pics of Dinobot w/the Maximal crew.

I really hope the price is not what's been solicited, because the ensemble shot is great.

Also, Takara are making Street Fighter II themed Transformers now.

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-23, 09:58 PM   #725
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Those SFII redecos look like Brave toys...

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-28, 01:47 PM   #726
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."

Murray, KY
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
I honestly think that the difficulty in translating Dinobot's character design to a toy is overstated. His CGI model really isn't any more different from the original toy than a lot of his first-season counterparts. The Masterpiece even seems to basically transform the same as the original, save for the fake chest -- the dino legs become the robot arms, the robot legs tuck into the beast's torso and the entire rear third of the beast mode just gets set aside to turn into a giant "weapon" (which is the main reason why he doesn't look much like he turns into a raptor).
I was thinking about this again this morning, and I really disagree. The basic parts layout isn't the problem, but rather it's the proportions. The raptor body is supposed to be compact while the robot is big and bulky all over. Using the raptor legs as the robot arms is straightforward enough, but the problem comes from subtracting the mass that makes the robot legs from the dino torso while leaving enough left behind to make the robot torso look bulky. Granted that it's probably hollow (which is where the dino head goes), but still... the extra mass of the tail isn't used since that's separate and used as the weapon. And they didn't cheat by having a pile of stuff make up the robot's back. The 360 view shows that it's fairly accurate to the animation model all the way around.

I know the magazine scans show the rough progression of the transformation, but I can't tell from them whether it's something that's elegant with a lot of steps or a process that's a complete nightmare, but the results are on either end are astounding, panel lines be damned.

I just wish that the thing cost less. It's still too expensive.

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-29, 04:33 AM   #727
tahukanuva
Human After All

Tennessee, US

I think he looks great, personally. Hopefully the transformation ends up more "fun puzzle" complicated and not "what is this step telling me to do?" complicated.

Anyway, if you preorder him from Amazon Japan he's slightly less than 200 USD shipped, and it'll probably go lower before the release date. That would put him more in the Megatron and Ultra Magnus price range, which seems fair for the level of engineering involved.

(He's still, easily, going to be the most expensive figure I own, but really that's an honor Dinobot deserves.)

tahukanuva is offline   Reply With Quote