• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers News & Rumours

Old 2015-03-13, 07:27 PM   #81
Notabot
Lutheran

Lowden, IA

When they changed it, they assumed that it would make a difference for US buyers, though, so I think that market had a good deal to do with it. But, like Clay, I'm curious if Phillip Morris has any presence in Japan, and if they have any of the legal limitations/qualms there that they do here.

Notabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-13, 08:10 PM   #82
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
Serious question, though: does Phillip Morris sell Marlboro in Japan or have any legal presence there? I have no earthly idea.
I think it's a niche brand over there certainly (imported cig brands tend to be in any country) but Google does bring up licensees. It might be more of a legal thing, however; maybe realistic decos on toys are some version of fair use in Japanese law?

The curious thing is that Marlboro have always had a strong feeling of branding long before Takara even said "hey, let's have these robot things turn into cars" and were probably enforcing this sort of thing when the original Diaclone came out.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-14, 03:19 PM   #83
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Red face

To be frank, if Philip Morris is wasting his time on suing people using cigarette branding inappropriately it's no wonder his efforts to find missing episodes haven't born any fruit since Web and Enemy.

One for the Doctor Who fans there.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-14, 08:02 PM   #84
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

Just to keep in mind folks...

Just to get a sense of scale at what tobacco companies can and have gone after, and how tiny and insignificant Takara's Exhaust can be.

I'm pretty sure this will go down in history right next to MP01 and Binaltech Smokescreen in terms of rich history and fame for the brand

Knightdramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-14, 09:40 PM   #85
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

This kind of legal brow beating is what makes the current Transatlantic Trade And Investment Partnership such a concern.

Its currently being debated behind closed doors and would basically give large multinational companies the right to sue any country whose laws they don't agree with as it would hinder their business. The ramifications of this are a big worry because no one knows how far reaching and damaging this could be.

You might want to ask your local MP about this.

https://www.gov.uk/government/collec...rtnership-ttip

I've decided b*ll*cks to Exhaust. Its not worth the effort and spent my money elsewhere.

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-14, 10:03 PM   #86
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Same here, pretty much. Not sure I can stand the gouging and possible hassle; hopefully some of the Chinese lads will get a version out. Kind-of wanted him for the old Diaclone resonance, Decepticon factor and because the Wheeljack mould's nice enough to justify two but TBH if a figure has to get tied up in legal tape a filler retool based on a chap who isn't a proper Transformer is an acceptable casualty.

Mirage they should be alright on as the Gitanes scheme is less recognisable. Might have to leave off the gypsy, but hopefully they'll just leave it blank and wink at Reprolabels rather than replacing her with a silhouette of Thunderblast sucking off Derrick Wyatt or whatever.

Jazz could well be interesting, though, but TBH if Martini play ball there won't be the same "WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN?!?!?!?!" stuff because alcohol doesn't harm anyone's health. I'm guessing the fudged reissues were good enough to avoid problems.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-15, 03:58 PM   #87
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

My HLJ order still seems to be fine...now if retroactively they impose a limit on where they ship, that's a different story. Won't be too fussed either way.

Don't think they'll have an issue with Jazz's martini sponsors---they can just leave them out or have it spell marteeny or something [that'd be hilarious]. Problem with Exhaust's deco is that if you leave the "livery" out it's just a white lancia with a fancy head.

As far as I'm concerned, he'll probably go on the same shelf the inevitable Road Rage from Tracks will go---diaclone homages.

Old 2015-03-19, 09:55 PM   #88
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

Exhaust paid for and in my HLJ pile of the loot.

Star Saber too.

Old 2015-03-20, 01:23 AM   #89
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
Mirage they should be alright on as the Gitanes scheme is less recognisable. Might have to leave off the gypsy, but hopefully they'll just leave it blank and wink at Reprolabels rather than replacing her with a silhouette of Thunderblast sucking off Derrick Wyatt or whatever.
I wonder if they'd even bother trying to replicate the real-life livery on Mirage. If they go with "Citanes" and leave the logo off, there's very little to jump out and say "Tobacco Company". Whereas even with the Marlboro wordmark stripped off entirely, Exhaust is clearly based on their logo.

I kind of expect them to tart it up with in-jokey sponsors like they did with Smokescreen, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightdramon View Post
Exhaust paid for and in my HLJ pile of the loot.
Paid for mine today as well! Very much looking forward to him, though I think at least half of my excitement is driven by spite.

Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-22, 10:57 PM   #90
Ryan F
hunts pandas for lolz

Angry

Lo and behold, Transbridge Omegalock (or whatever they're called this week) have sent me an email tonight cancelling my Exhaust pre-order.

Now of course it's far too late to get it from anywhere else, HLJ, Robot Kingdom, AmiAmi, Chimungmung etc. no listings anywhere. Aaaargh!

And I had a preorder in as soon as the toy was announced, I'm not one of these 'only after it because it's rare' people. Grrr!

To cap it all, Omegalock haven't even offered me a refund, they are brazenly trying to give the cash back to me as store credit. WTF?!!??? I'm going to give them a piece of my mind, let me tell you.

In the end I decided to get from amazon.jp using one of those mail-forwarding services that seem to have popped up.

As amazon.jp don't allow international shipping on toys, you just get it shipped to a middle-man, who will then forward it on to you.

It's a bit of a faff, and I'll probably get stung for customs now, but as far as I can see it's the only way to get this bloody thing (if they have copies for sale at AA I will be fuming)!!!

Never used a forwarding service before, so I hope they don't rip me off and steal my toy! I went for biginjap.com in the end, they had some good online reviews.

But man, Omegalock are going to get an earful tomorrow!!!!

Sorry for the rant!

Ryan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-23, 06:50 PM   #91
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

So I'm guessing something similar might happen with Kapow and/or Masterforce.

NipponYassan have Exhaust available, but for 16.000 yen. Almost guaranteed to fly by customs in the UK [used them before, the guy in charge is French I think so he knows about customs in EU].

You could and should get a direct refund from omegalock. Sorry to hear about this. Had I know of this whole fiasco early on, I'd get more than one from HLJ.

Old 2015-03-23, 07:28 PM   #92
Ryan F
hunts pandas for lolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightdramon View Post
So I'm guessing something similar might happen with Kapow and/or Masterforce.

NipponYassan have Exhaust available, but for 16.000 yen. Almost guaranteed to fly by customs in the UK [used them before, the guy in charge is French I think so he knows about customs in EU].

You could and should get a direct refund from omegalock. Sorry to hear about this. Had I know of this whole fiasco early on, I'd get more than one from HLJ.
Neither Kapow nor Masterforce were listing Exhaust - I know Kapow got a 'cease and desist' from Philip Morris and so weren't able to carry it. Omegalock, as far as I'm aware, were the only UK dealer who had it up for preorder.

Cheers for the tip about NipponYassan, I might give them a go in future.

It just irks me that we knew weeks ago that Hasbro Asia were unable to sell the figure, and that Takara in Japan were the only distributors (hence this being the only Masterpiece for a while not to have a free coin, which is usually a Hasbro Asia exclusive).

Omegalock's explanation was that they had ordered a supply from Hasbro Asia which never materialised. But if that was the case, why wait until March 22nd (the day after release) to let people know?

Ryan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-24, 07:49 PM   #93
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

New photos of Tracks from a magazine http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transf...racks-289.html

on that page.

Funny how all the nay-sayers just evaporated into thin air.

I don't like the gray used, personally. It's almost 100% match for the test-shot gray

Old 2015-03-24, 08:01 PM   #94
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Flying car thing's cool, but still not tossed about waiting to see if there's a black version with a faceplate. Could end up with both of course...

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-24, 09:06 PM   #95
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

As with all the other cars, they'll milk it for what it's worth.

I'm guessing---Red Road Rage repaint ASAP after release [would not be surprised if it has its own unique number and ends up as a November release]

Black repaint---possibly for next year's Tokyo Toy Show, following on the footsteps of Tigertracks and Silverstreak. This year's TT exclusive *might* be Bluestreak.

And still not sure, but...yellow repaint? Because yellow corvettes are always in? Also, BT06 homage?

Old 2015-03-24, 09:12 PM   #96
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Not going to be out by AA is it?

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-24, 09:26 PM   #97
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

One thought I was thinking the other day: So far every MP repaint based on a Diaclone character scheme has had a separate name attatched to it, it's not been Yellow Sideswipe or Marlboro Wheeljack (luckily as it's turned out), they've made the effort even when there wasn't already an appropriate Ehobby reissue alternative. Makes me wonder what they'll come up with for the inevitable Diaclone Magnus.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-24, 10:24 PM   #98
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

I would so go for a Diaclone Magnus. The colours on that thing are gorgeous. IIRC, those little uPVC figurines that were hot for 5 minutes in 2004 had him listed as Ironhide.

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-24, 10:26 PM   #99
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Smile

I would also be tempted by a Diaclone Magnus, though my ideal would be a toy-coloured version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
One thought I was thinking the other day: So far every MP repaint based on a Diaclone character scheme has had a separate name attatched to it, it's not been Yellow Sideswipe or Marlboro Wheeljack (luckily as it's turned out), they've made the effort even when there wasn't already an appropriate Ehobby reissue alternative. Makes me wonder what they'll come up with for the inevitable Diaclone Magnus.
G2 Sideswipe proved that they're not afraid to reference Western comics, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them go with Delta Magnus.

Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-25, 07:43 PM   #100
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

Yeah, going for either Delta Magnus or Diaclone Convoy. Diakron Convoy maybe, to make it "sound" like a new guy?