Go Back   TFARCHIVE > COMMUNITY > General Discussion

Old 2016-05-16, 04:37 PM   #201
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Red face

SPOILER! (select to read)
Yay for an episode with nothing from Dorne,

Am hoping they just quietly drop that entire subplot without further comment because nobody ****ing cares.

Brendocon 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-16, 09:48 PM   #202
Sades
Ms. Snarkypants

In a hut by a river on top of a big ol hill.

The Sand Snakes are a bit of a disappointment. But I'm still hopeful.

... I'm not even sure that's a spoiler. Oh well.

bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookblaghbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook
Sades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-16, 11:18 PM   #203
Patapsco
Sod. Off

I'm perfectly happy if every episode from here on out drops at least one scene which equates to D&D giving the double middle finger to the book lovers. Still, this was another strong episode in a run of them, though I don't know where any of this is going

"When did you first realize that he uses bad grammar to distract you whenever you raise an objection to something he wants to do?"
Patapsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-16, 11:49 PM   #204
Sades
Ms. Snarkypants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patapsco View Post
I'm perfectly happy if every episode from here on out drops at least one scene which equates to D&D giving the double middle finger to the book lovers. Still, this was another strong episode in a run of them, though I don't know where any of this is going
The only change that really annoyed me was
the Sand Snakes (and maybe magic Dany, depending). Also show Arya is a bit annoying.
But I can accept them; imo it would get a bit boring if the show followed the book too closely.

I think I'd be more happy if the show was a little longer. This last episode was good, but it felt really packed.

bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookblaghbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook
Old 2016-05-17, 10:09 AM   #205
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Smile

Yeah there've been enough major changes in regards to events and characters being flat-out omitted that I'm perfectly fine with alterations at the moment. We're in full-blown alternate continuity cartoon vs comic territory here. If any of this does spoil Winds of Winter it's only going to be in a peripheral way.

Only annoys me when the alterations leave us with something completely terrible. Like throwing out every interesting aspect of the Dorne stuff in favour of generic yawn psuedo-badass stuff.

Regarding pacing, this week's episode was still a full hour. Given that other eps were maybe only about 50 minutes, I think they could do a better job of redistributing plot developments a bit. We get 45 minutes where not much really happens, then an hour crammed full of plot. Really uneven.

Old 2016-05-18, 02:16 AM   #206
Sades
Ms. Snarkypants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendocon 2.0 View Post
Regarding pacing, this week's episode was still a full hour. Given that other eps were maybe only about 50 minutes, I think they could do a better job of redistributing plot developments a bit. We get 45 minutes where not much really happens, then an hour crammed full of plot. Really uneven.
I haven't even been paying attention to the length of the things beyond "around an hour". Didn't even realise.

Does anyone do fan theories? The one that I like is that
Jon is the son of Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen
. Could be, it makes sense to me.

Old 2016-05-18, 06:48 PM   #207
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

I wish I could remember everyone's names so I could have fan theories. Half the time, I'm just hoping a character I like doesn't get bumped off the next time I tune in (although this does make for a refreshing change).

I feel the same about the Walking Dead. I get deeply engrossed watching it and am thinking 'ffffff***ing hellllll' throughout most of it and then I forget what's been going on and who's who beyond crossbow dude, man with the stick, Sheriff Egg, Maggie and that kid who's clearly up to no good (I'm still part way through season 6 so shhhhh no spoilers!!!)

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-18, 07:04 PM   #208
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sades View Post
I haven't even been paying attention to the length of the things beyond "around an hour". Didn't even realise.
I only know because I have to squeeze them in before work on a Monday morning (so I can, y'know, actually go online at some point during the day), so the runtime is probably a far bigger factor for me...

Old 2016-05-20, 06:19 AM   #209
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

While browsing Youtube I happened upon videos of Mock the Week. These are ****ing brilliant. Mostly it's been unedited/uncensored sort of outtakes stuff so I can't speak to the quality of the broadcast version but I love it.

Also judging from the material these are episodes from about 5-10 years ago. Is this show still on and is it still good?

Oh, and Frankie Boyle is awesome.

Last edited by Hound; 2016-05-21 at 03:50 PM.
Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-21, 03:14 PM   #210
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

It is still very good, although seems to have settled into re-using the same comedians. Frankie Boyle is long gone, sadly. He was censored once too often and so has left. He still does stand up, and after a short-lived series on Channel 4 and a stint writing a column for The Sun newspaper, he now writes for the Guardian And has an enormous beard.

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-21, 03:53 PM   #211
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

Well to be fair 90% of what Frankie Boyle says he has to expect can't be broadcast. He's hilarious but he doesn't appear to be even trying to say things that are appropriate.

Old 2016-05-22, 04:41 AM   #212
HeavyArms
Unicron

Karingal, Victoria, Australia

Been slowly getting back into the 80's/90's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon, for some reason I've been holding off on it for a couple months now, it probably doesn't help that the DVDs are packed with three to four hours of episodes.

Destruction is my specialty
HeavyArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-22, 05:32 AM   #213
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

It's awful though isn't it? Couple of years back I caught a couple of episodes on TV and found it unbearable...

1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you
Old 2016-05-22, 10:47 AM   #214
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Smile

I watched seasons 1 and 2 last year and, whilst it is definitely a bit naff, I found that once I just embraced the rubbishness I did really enjoy it.

Some good satire and self-awareness in there.

That said, I have no desire whatsoever to watch the rest of the series.

Old 2016-05-22, 11:00 AM   #215
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Red face

Has David Wise commented on the internal logic of the show?

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-22, 02:43 PM   #216
Patapsco
Sod. Off

I've been binging back through A Town Called Eureka and boy that show still holds up and never got as big as it should be. And it's a shame that out of all the geek shows, The Big Bang Theory gets all the press while this gets resigned to the dumpster of history

"When did you first realize that he uses bad grammar to distract you whenever you raise an objection to something he wants to do?"
Patapsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-22, 04:49 PM   #217
Sades
Ms. Snarkypants

I'm kind of on the fence about BBT. I think it can be funny, but I feel the whole show in general is kind of insulting to the audience it "represents". At the same time though, it helped move the genre into the mainstream. And at the end of the day it's a sitcom, they're supposed to be a little over the top. Not saying I don't enjoy it.

(I'm still a little annoyed by what they did with Stewart, though. He started out really normal, and I liked that, but since it's a sitcom he had to become an exaggerated caricature like everyone else.)

I'm interested in Eureka. I read a little about it, I might have to look for this show. Sounds interesting.

Old 2016-05-22, 05:03 PM   #218
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Smile

I really enjoyed the first half dozen or so seasons of Big Bang. Whilst I should hate it for everything it is, it always seemed to be done with so much affection that I couldn't help but find it charming.

But it got to the point where it descended into, as said, an exaggerated caricature of itself. Either through character decay (Stewart) or complete lack of any form of character growth or development whatsoever. I mean sure, a couple of them have gotten married, but you can't tell me they wouldn't have done that in episode 1 if the option had been there for them.

And yeah, sure, the key tenet of any situation comedy is that the characters can't escape the situation and are stuck with it... but that just doesn't apply to any of them.

It's just... somewhere along the line the affection seemed to blur into condescension. Unless that was always there and I just didn't notice it. Eventually anything formulaic that becomes popular just ends up devolving into the formula itself in order to play it safe. Lowest common denominator, etc, etc.

But hey ho. Probably why I stopped watching. That was the simplest way of dealing with the problem.

Old 2016-05-23, 04:18 AM   #219
Sades
Ms. Snarkypants

So I turn the TV on, about 45 mins till GoT. Great. I'll find something to watch in the meantime. Look at the TV guide... "Mythbusters" on the iChannel. Cool! I'll watch Mythbusters till GoT is on.

Turn to the channel... it's a bunch of raw dog food propaganda. Some lady starts talking and making raw dog food out of ground meat. Cue confused. Another lady starts talking, and the program runs a banner with her name, along with an image with the program's name on it... "Dog Food Mythbusters".

http://i.imgur.com/MJigeJl.gif (NSFW language gif)

GoT conflicts with Preacher, not waiting till the repeat. Will watch (Preacher) another time.

Last edited by Sades; 2016-05-23 at 07:45 AM.
Old 2016-05-23, 07:30 AM   #220
Sades
Ms. Snarkypants

Red face

Hodor? Hodor. Hodor Hodor Hodor.

I was busy making snacks so I missed something like the first five or so minutes, I think. I walked in on Sansa and Littlefinger talking. I missed most of what they were talking about though, pretty sure she let him live? Thaaaaat's probably a mistake.

I love the little bits of comic relief that the Tormund/Brienne thing is providing right now.

Yara/Asha FTW. But not anytime soon, from the looks of it. In a wild moment of hope I imagined that maybe the show would let her win the kingsmoot, but I knew that probably wasn't going to happen. Interested to see where that goes. Hopefully somewhere a little less dark, and blue.

Finally Arya's doing something other than being blind and waving sticks around.

That was a nice transition there, btw. Boobs to grab your attention, and then... some dude's balls and penis fills the screen. Perfect.

I can't decide if I like Dany or am annoyed by her. I think it's a little of both. On the one hand, she's got some cool party tricks. She's not perfect. but on the other, she's almost (but not quite) a Mary Sue.

Bye Summer, we barely knew you.

Bran's some sort of warg-timelord, apparently? I guess I shouldn't be surprised the old guy lied to him about being able to affect the past. INTERESTING. But does his coldhand (ha) mean that the White Walkers can follow him wherever now? That's what I want to know. Because, shit.

Oh, and White Walkers scare the crap out of me apparently. Balls.