Go Back   TFARCHIVE > COMMUNITY > General Discussion

Old 2016-05-23, 08:13 AM   #221
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Red face

Ref Thrones...
SPOILER! (select to read)
Yeah that White Walker music is creepy as shit, too.

You didn't miss anything important at the beginning. Sansa got a letter, she asked how far to Molestown. Cut to Littlefinger waiting in a barn, Sansa walks in, followed by Brienne. She calls him out on what he did in reaaalllly uncomfortable fashion.

We're down to just Ghost and (presumably) Nymeria on the wolf front now, right?

Sad ending was sad. Even if I didn't really follow what was going on with warging and timetripping and warging in the timetrip despite the fact he's not holding the tree anymore and oh sad.

Brendocon 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-23, 05:23 PM   #222
Patapsco
Sod. Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sades View Post
I'm interested in Eureka. I read a little about it, I might have to look for this show. Sounds interesting.
it's a fish out of water science dramedy, but it's more on the comedy than the drama. It follows the "monster of the week" style, but instead of monsters, it's potential town/state/world ending scientific disasters. There are ongoing arcs that start later on (I think season 3 maybe), but generally they aren't pervasive. You can almost drop into any episode from seasons one and two and not need to consult a wiki or IMDB to figure out what the hell is going on

"When did you first realize that he uses bad grammar to distract you whenever you raise an objection to something he wants to do?"
Patapsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-23, 08:07 PM   #223
Sades
Ms. Snarkypants

In a hut by a river on top of a big ol hill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendocon 2.0 View Post
Ref Thrones...

We're down to just Ghost and (presumably) Nymeria on the wolf front now, right?
Yep, down to two.

Quote:
Sad ending was sad. Even if I didn't really follow what was going on with warging and timetripping and warging in the timetrip despite the fact he's not holding the tree anymore and oh sad.
For awhile I figured that maybe it was because the Three-Eyed Raven was guiding him, but then the old man was killed and Bran was still there so essentially my theory was blown to shit. I guess he's "just that good". Unless it was because he was attached to (inside of?) Hodor.

So, uh, I guess Bran Killed Hodor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patapsco View Post
it's a fish out of water science dramedy, but it's more on the comedy than the drama. It follows the "monster of the week" style, but instead of monsters, it's potential town/state/world ending scientific disasters. There are ongoing arcs that start later on (I think season 3 maybe), but generally they aren't pervasive. You can almost drop into any episode from seasons one and two and not need to consult a wiki or IMDB to figure out what the hell is going on
Goood, gooooood.

bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookblaghbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook
Sades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-23, 08:35 PM   #224
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

So I just got done watching the Pilot Episode of Preacher. And I enjoyed it. Runs with the source material and does its own thing, which is good and I'll be interested to see where this goes. I'll be especially interested to see if they keep the overt religious elements of the comics (tbh, I'll be surprised if they do, but am hopeful).

Casting is spot on and Ruth Negga is awesome as Tulip

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-23, 09:23 PM   #225
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Cheers for heads up on Preacher, will try to watch that this week...

Quote:
And yeah, sure, the key tenet of any situation comedy is that the characters can't escape the situation and are stuck with it... but that just doesn't apply to any of them.
Pretty sure I've watched up to the end of season six, which felt like a good place to stop. The same sort of thing happened with Friends and Frasier, where the writers started to have characters either be jerks or self-sabotaging for the sake of plot... particularly started to dislike Raj by that point.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-28, 04:54 PM   #226
HeavyArms
Unicron

Karingal, Victoria, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound View Post
It's awful though isn't it? Couple of years back I caught a couple of episodes on TV and found it unbearable...
It definitely has it's problems, but the self-awareness does help at times.
I may have to start skipping episodes of it, like I did with Pokemon, just to not burn myself out on it.

Destruction is my specialty
HeavyArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-30, 08:03 AM   #227
Sades
Ms. Snarkypants

The first showing of GoT is on a lot earlier recently. That's good, but aggravating when you don't realise it until afterwards. Oh how I miss access to a DVR.

Benjen=Coldhands, wooty woot.

Who saw the Margery/Tommen thing coming? I didn't. Goddamn. Though, in hindsight, Tommen is easily led... I didn't think Margery was, however.

SAAAAM. I was so full of anxiety for him that entire time. Then it was like "YEAH. STEAL YOUR DAD'S MOTHER****ING SWORD."

YAY, ARYA'S DOING STUFF. I was wondering when this tedious stint into the world of facestealers would end.

Stop showing me White Walker-fied babies GoT, plskthnx.

Did Benjen just give Bran a cup of... rabbit blood? And did Bran just sip it like it was tea? Ew.

Dany- There's a lot of fire and bullshit going on here. Daenerys The Conqueror. Why is Dany suddenly able to control Drogon?

I'm half expecting Dany to go crazy, tbh. Or die, or something. There's going to be so much horrible that happens later on.

Nice shot of Drogon's mouth. That's the special effects budget spent.

All in all, I know I'm being snarky (it's late and I'm in a hurry for sleep), but I enjoyed it. It felt like it went by really quickly, though.

bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookblaghbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook
Old 2016-06-01, 01:15 AM   #228
Cyberstrike nTo
Primus

In the Dead Universe known as Indianapolis

Supergirl, The Flash, Arrow, DC's Legends of Tomorrow, Dr. Who, Agent Carter, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Full House, and Fuller House.

The X-WCW a fun site for fun people.
Cyberstrike nTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-01, 08:25 PM   #229
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

I'm watching Alan Patridge's Scissored Isle. Its ace.

Old 2016-06-01, 08:27 PM   #230
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK

They decided to leave a two week gap between the first and second episodes of Preacher, which is an incredibly risky strategy for a show I'm still 50/50 on.

Brendocon 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-01, 08:57 PM   #231
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

I couldn't work that one out either, its not like its a big 90 min pilot, is it...

Old 2016-06-01, 09:39 PM   #232
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Enjoyed the first ep -- it still feels like a comic rather than grimdark for the sake of things, which Ennis's comics themselves often don't IMO.

Whether it can survive being town based rather than a road trip (haven't really read much info, so that might be a misinterpretation) is another matter.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-03, 04:04 AM   #233
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

I've been watching the 90s X-Men show a lot over the last week. The two-part pilot was rough enough to make me wonder if maybe I was only remembering it through nostalgia goggles, but the rest of the first season and the start of the second were really quite good. There's a few obvious "for kids" quirks, like skirting around actually mentioning the Holocaust in Magneto's backstory and very rarely using characters' real names, but all in all it's a good distillation of the high points of a very long-running comic.

I find it impossible to see why my younger self found Mr. Sinister so threatening, though. The tryhard SOB is just flat out hilarious. Everything from the name to the sharpened teeth to the ridiculous cape and facial hair make me wish one of the characters would pipe up and ask if we're actually supposed to take him seriously.

Warcry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-03, 07:59 PM   #234
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

In my odd dabblings with X-Men in the last 15 or so years, I always did like Mr Sinister. He's ridiculous. Last time I saw him, he was in some magical wonderment land where he'd populated the place with duplicates of himself and all the women looked like Jean Grey.

...more like Mr Pervy than Mr Sinister.

And yeah, '90s X-Men is pretty ace. Although this Honest Trailer is also correct:
https://youtu.be/I8BobmZglOk

Old 2016-06-06, 06:53 AM   #235
Sades
Ms. Snarkypants

GoT:

I'm a bit critical, but really I probably could have watched at least another hour of GoT tonight happily.

Everyone else who got stabbed that many times (iirc) collapsed and died pretty much immediately. Arya, as one of the main plot characters, lives long enough to go for a swim, crawl out of the river, then go for a stroll, all the while dripping little dramatic drips of blood that are at odds with the gusher she showed to the camera not a minute previous. Man, I'm really beginning to dislike Arya's bits in this show.

It's the Hound! I really don't care much. Well, I do. But I don't. I've already got too many characters to GAF about. Maybe later, when a couple of them have died.

Lady Lyanna Mormont, however. I already think I love you and I'm going to be genuinely sad when/if they kill your ass off.

Yay, Yara. And hey, Theon's not a wimp anymore I guess. Alright! Dany needs a thousand ships. Who's got a thousand ships? Thaaat's right. I wonder how that's going to go. I wanna seeeeeeee.

On that- What the hell is Dany going to do with a bunch of Dothraki when she gets to Westeros? Dany has dragons and killed all the Khals with her spoopy omg magic fire powers, that would be scary as **** to a Dothraki I guess, but would it be enough to suddenly make them decide a wimmenfolk is a warrior/leader, to the point of getting on ships and sailing across the bloody ocean for her, when they are pretty much tied to their land and none of them have ever done it before? I dunno.

Well, I suppose so. The dragons are a first (in a few hundred years... thousand years... whatever it was). And, uh, she emerged unscathed from a raging inferno. So I guess... *insert rolleyes here*

As always, I am team Kraken. Not for the win, just for the live.

Old 2016-06-06, 08:45 PM   #236
Warcry

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyquake87 View Post
And yeah, '90s X-Men is pretty ace. Although this Honest Trailer is also correct:
https://youtu.be/I8BobmZglOk
It's correct, yes, but at the same time it's really reaching for things to poke fun at. When the worst you can say about a show is stuff like "it's obvious what decade it was made in!" and "some of the characters are stereotypical, like the comic they're based on!", there can't be much bad to say.

They're right about Jubilee, though. I grew up watching her on TV and still can't bring myself to care. It probably doesn't help that (after reading so many of the old comics in the last few months) it's painfully obvious that she's nothing more than a 90s redux of Kitty Pryde with the serial numbers filed off. Plus her character model is terrible. She doesn't look Asian at all (I honestly had no idea she was meant to be until the live-action films kept using Asian extras as her in crowd scenes) and she spends most of her time wearing a raincoat, cleaning gloves and rubber boots.

Old 2016-06-07, 06:51 PM   #237
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

I know! its like Spike and Sparkplug with their hardhat and wellies look all the time.

Watched the second episode of Preacher this morning, t'was good, but seems to be in a terrible hurry to do all the source material at once. Can't figure out Tulip's incessant need for Jesse to be in on....whatever job it is she's trying to pull and I can't really buy into these two having had some relationship in the past, but that's possibly because we don't really know Jesse just yet, and I get the feeling the showrunners have slightly mis-read his character. I wasn't expecting a carbon copy of the comic (AMC have, after all, done great things with The Walking Dead) There's hints of who is and what he's all about, but the show has this insane need to "get to the cool stuff" in a hurry. I'll be interested to follow this through and see where it goes, but I just wish it was taking its time a little more to establish its leads. I feel I know more about Arseface at the moment than any of the leads, and he's a frickin' supporting character.

Old 2016-06-09, 07:32 PM   #238
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Personally felt 90s X-Men held up really badly with its' sixties animation and all.

RE: Jubes, from memory she was fairly Asian looking to start off with but that got basically ignored for the Jim Lee relaunch that was the DNA for the cartoon and didn't really start coming back until Generation X started to get less popular. Bit odd considering Psylocke was basically an anime babe at the time.

Watching Spongebob mainly at the moment, it's ****ing ace.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-09, 08:06 PM   #239
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

We watched the X-Men but I've no real memories of it, it just didn't sink in. 90's Spider Man mainly stood out for Spidey not being able to go five minutes without an extended (sometimes multiple!) flashback to a prior episode to explain something.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-09, 10:15 PM   #240
Warcry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
Personally felt 90s X-Men held up really badly with its' sixties animation and all.
The animation isn't a standout by any means, but I don't think it's bad per se. It's just basic. The models are simple and the backgrounds don't really stand out, but the quality of the work is miles ahead of the 80s stuff that predated it. There's nowhere near the amount of general sloppiness, off-model characters, colouring errors and the like that you'd see in something like Transformers, for example. It doesn't have the stylish flair of something like Batman TAS, but I don't think it detracts from the storytelling at all. "Workmanlike" might be the best word for it.

My only real art complaint is that half the time the cast wander around doing civilian stuff in costume because nobody could be bothered to get the civilian character models for them. Beast doing medical research at the hospital in his underwear is probably the biggest offender, followed shortly by Gambit still wearing his headgear when he had a tuxedo on because nobody could remember what he looked like without it. At first I thought it was just because they didn't have the budget to design alternate looks for the characters, but it still happens even after they've all been shown in civvies multiple times.

Quote:
RE: Jubes, from memory she was fairly Asian looking to start off with but that got basically ignored for the Jim Lee relaunch that was the DNA for the cartoon and didn't really start coming back until Generation X started to get less popular. Bit odd considering Psylocke was basically an anime babe at the time.
Jim Lee's designs were really hit-or-miss for me. Just looking at the ones in the TV show...his Rogue and Cyclops were basically perfect, admittedly. And Beast is really cool. But Wolverine was just a take on the classic costume, and honestly a step back from the brown kit. And the others? Storm looks like a grandma (though, honestly, has Storm ever had a good outfit?), Jubilee looks like a little kid wearing her mom's cleaning gear and I don't even know what to say about what Gambit and Jean are wearing. They look like they should be guest stars from an episode of DS9 or something.

The 70s/80s outfits may have made characters look like circus performers but at least they had a bit of style to them.

Quote:
Watching Spongebob mainly at the moment, it's ****ing ace.
When I watched some of this with my niece and nephew while babysitting, ages ago now, my mind was blown by how...not awful it was. I don't know why but I was expecting it to be terrible, not legitimately funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
We watched the X-Men but I've no real memories of it, it just didn't sink in. 90's Spider Man mainly stood out for Spidey not being able to go five minutes without an extended (sometimes multiple!) flashback to a prior episode to explain something.
I was just the opposite. I must have watched Spider-Man plenty, because a zillion of the show's character models as well as it's credits sequence easily come to mind when I think of it. I even liked it enough to try out the comics some. But I honestly can't think of a single thing that happened in the show or remember the plot of any episodes.