• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Media & Fandom > New Comics

Old 2015-05-13, 06:56 PM   #1
zigzagger
There ain't no Sanity Clause

Default Transformers: More than Meets the Eye #41

Transformers: More than Meets the Eye #41 three-page preview from the usual place.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mtmte 41 pg1.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	10735   Click image for larger version

Name:	mtmte 41 pg2.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	10736   Click image for larger version

Name:	mtmte 41 pg3.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	10737  
zigzagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-13, 07:15 PM   #2
Unicron
Time for plan bee-weeoop

The Thunderclash School of Heroic Arts. Really? Ok, I'm officially with Rodimus on his opinion of 'Thunders'.

I hope that wasn't the death of Countdown. Highly decorated General? He might be interesting

Unicron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-13, 07:53 PM   #3
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Bloody hell, I've still not got to #40 yet....

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-14, 01:29 AM   #4
zigzagger

Not that haven't enjoyed all the dillydallying, but I'm hoping that, since we're now revisiting Thunderclash and company, we'll finally see some progression on the actual quest.

Also, it could just be the arrangement of colors, but I'm totally getting a Rodimus vibe from Firestar's (re)design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicron View Post
The Thunderclash School of Heroic Arts. Really?
Yeah, and I had forgotten all about 'rigor morphis' until this preview reminded me that that term exists.

Old 2015-05-14, 09:28 AM   #5
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer

Ireland

Brainstorm being back to just one of the guys is a bit disappointing.

Sigh. Looks like Cliffy was right....

Also - are all the bots showing off to impress nautica perhaps?

Red Dave Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-14, 10:17 AM   #6
Unicron
Time for plan bee-weeoop

So someone over on TFW2005 noticed that there's something interesting on the credits page (I think). It shows one of the new characters (Velocity, her name having been revealed by Milne when showing off some of the new character designs) standing with what appears to be Minimus, looking at a bunch of stuff carved into a wall. One of the carvings being that gear symbol that was on the backside of Luna 1. Perhaps Thunders was taking notes from his divine visions, just in case.

Which reminds me... The Matrix map. It was copy protected. You couldn't take a picture of it nor remember the details. So why the bloody hell did no one project the map onto one of the Lost Light's walls and carve the damn thing in with a laser scalpel? I guess Perceptor wasn't smart enough to figure that one out

Old 2015-05-14, 11:43 AM   #7
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer

Ireland

Quote:

Which reminds me... The Matrix map. It was copy protected. You couldn't take a picture of it nor remember the details. So why the bloody hell did no one project the map onto one of the Lost Light's walls and carve the damn thing in with a laser scalpel? I guess Perceptor wasn't smart enough to figure that one out
I'm guessing for the same reason they couldnt photo it or remember any details - the image probably couldnt be traced by cybertronian eyes / hands.

Old 2015-05-15, 03:55 PM   #8
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Quote:
The Thunderclash School of Heroic Arts. Really? Ok, I'm officially with Rodimus on his opinion of 'Thunders'.
It's more than a little over the top, isn't it? In the issue he debuted in, you could argue that it's just Rodimus overreacting to someone who's a better leader than him on account of how much Rodimus sucks. But stuff like this makes it look like Thunderclash really is super-duper awesome, which is sort of eyeroll-inducing.

Quote:
I hope that wasn't the death of Countdown. Highly decorated General? He might be interesting
Yeah, that would be a Black Shadow-caliber waste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dave Prime View Post
Brainstorm being back to just one of the guys is a bit disappointing.
Disappointing but not surprising.

Like dalek said in the last issue's thread, you'd think the crew would be a mite uneasy around the guy who just poisoned them all.

Quote:
I asked myself the exact same question the very second they introduced the whole silly "copy-protected" idea. That, or use a projector that was rigged to use enough power to burn it onto the wall. I assume the silly unexplained magic that somehow prevents a living machine's hard drives from storing pictures of it also somehow prevents them from doing this, but since they didn't mention it, it's just a guess.

Or maybe it's 100% possible but the magic just prevents them from thinking of it.

Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-15, 04:56 PM   #9
Unicron
Time for plan bee-weeoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
I asked myself the exact same question the very second they introduced the whole silly "copy-protected" idea. That, or use a projector that was rigged to use enough power to burn it onto the wall. I assume the silly unexplained magic that somehow prevents a living machine's hard drives from storing pictures of it also somehow prevents them from doing this, but since they didn't mention it, it's just a guess.

Or maybe it's 100% possible but the magic just prevents them from thinking of it.
Well, the one explanation I've thought of so far is that Percy was just wrapping up his 'copy-protected' explanation when Pipes hit the Overlord-alarm. There wasn't time for other crew members to consider the problem nor do anything about it with the way events transpired between then and breaking the thing to stop the Killswitch.

As for the crew not really being irked by Brainstorm, best I've got is a non-lethal poisoning is small potatoes compared to what they saw during the war. Hell, they haven't tossed the unrepentant killer of their friends on Kimia out an airlock yet. Worst Cyclonus gets is dirty looks, some comments made behind his back, and the stuff said to his face on the Rodpod while the Lost Light and people were disappearing. If he's allowed to remain on the ship, then Brainy is too.

Old 2015-05-15, 06:18 PM   #10
zigzagger

Re: Stormy -- Not surprised, though it does sort of diminish Elegant Chaos as a result, at least for me. It's a good thing EC was so much fun, otherwise I'd be miffed by the lack of lasting repercussions.

Eh... but since Megatron's allowed to roam around the ship, I'll let it slide.

Re: Cyclonus -- I'd completely agree with Unicron's statement if not for the fact that some of the folks that we saw killed on Kimia, like Grotusque, have popped up in the scenery since then (not 100 percent certain about the Technobots that were there, though).

Old 2015-05-27, 03:22 PM   #11
Terome
Indigent

Brighton

Read it! I've got a long lunch break so here are initial thoughts.

SPOILER SPACE

Lots of pipe to lay so this won't be anyone's favourite issue. The focus on Nautica was nice and gave some shape to an otherwise quite muddled introduction to and arc that seems to be focused on the most overlooked feature of the series - the attention deflector.

Getaway doesn't notice when Rung enters a room, Ravage can make light lose its focus, First Aid doesn't find the horror in Thunderclash's trailer, Nautica is feeling unnoticed, a normal-looking medic handed out a miracle cure without anyone remarking on it, Getaway doesn't notice the thing growing on his face until it's too late... if the last big arc up to Elegant Chaos was 'edits,' then it looks like this one might be 'missing the thing that's right under your nose.' Is there a German word for that?

Rodimus and Megatron were reliably on form (and I did get a kick out of the call-back to highlighter pens) and I know Nightbeat isn't popular round these parts but I dig him. Nautica's suffocating best friend was a bit heavy-handed and felt a bit YA and I groaned out loud at the sequence that told us that, from now on, Swerve is going to be making a lot of those pop-culture references we crave.

Milne's on great form. That double-page spread was impressive for a couple of reasons beyond the meticulous crowd shots we expect of him.

Will Nightbeat and Getaway be perfectly okay next month?

Terome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-27, 07:29 PM   #12
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

I pretty much enjoyed that, felt a lot more solid than last issue despite being similarly light for the most part.

Liked the idea of Nautica Nightbeat and Cyclonus being the uncool ones at the party, some effort being put into keeping track of Ravage and the spy freaking out. This is probably the friendliest we've seen Megatron and Rodimus as well.

I can appreciate people thinking Thunderclash is overdone, but I still like it (and the name of the academy can be handwaved as working better in the Cybertronian than the English it's being presented to us as).

I still find the Brainstorm thing deeply annoying. He reeeeeeeeeeallly shouldn't be let out and about till they've followed up on the Suspiciously Specifically Unammed Decepticon handler thing (and if they have, that should have been acknowledged at least even if it's not going to be dealt with head-on till later).

And, whilst I like Swerve more than, say, Warcry, I can't see why he's been given a new skit of Earth Culture when Bluestreak already has that market cornered. Plus, Community probably wouldn't exist in the IDWverse, it started in 2009. Or in other words, when America was a smouldering post AHM apocalyptic ruin. Sitcoms wouldn't have been up to much then.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-27, 08:19 PM   #13
Unicron
Time for plan bee-weeoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
I still find the Brainstorm thing deeply annoying. He reeeeeeeeeeallly shouldn't be let out and about till they've followed up on the Suspiciously Specifically Unammed Decepticon handler thing (and if they have, that should have been acknowledged at least even if it's not going to be dealt with head-on till later).
If we're going to argue that, then they should be mining Megatron for info on who all the various Decepticon spies are. Just because Megatron said he doesn't know all of their agents doesn't mean he doesn't who a whole hell of a lot of them are

Old 2015-05-27, 09:30 PM   #14
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

Something's up with Flamewar. She's evil and a monster queen.

Countdown's death goes surprisingly unreported and noticed on her watch.

She's mentioned to change her flame colour within the past year.

Her moves on the dance floor will "kill" Nautica.

Getaway and Skids are in exceptionally high spirits [as well as everybody else, with few exceptions] around her, but sulk badly afterwards. Skids even felt that way before.

Getaway is found after the party, almost passed out, then towards the end, he's infected on the face with the space barnacles.

Flamewar is a sucubus queen or something that "impregnates" other cybertronians like an Alien---they wake up with little memory of it.

And the female medic is either a cue for attention deflectors as well, or...she's a byproduct/that female Rung from pre-elegant chaos.

And while it seems that Ravage clawed his way into the morgue, what if that claw mark is from the space barnacle things?

Took me a second read to identify Rodimus' dagger on his table. At first I thought that Drift had returned or something. The red on the desk threw me off.

Lastly, what's going on with the chronology of the events? When do the Protectobots and Mirage leave?

Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Knightdramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-29, 03:31 PM   #15
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Red face

You're saying she might burn the others?

This actually managed to hit the top three on the UK Comixology chart (and crack the top 10 for, IIRC, the first time on the American). Considering we're both in the lull after the end of a major storyline and the number of noobies brought aboard by the Humble deal would have levelled out by now it should by all reason have stayed put or even fell a bit. Instead the climb continues.

My head says it's unlikely, but we're tantalisingly close to having a Transformers comic top an actual proper comics chart (oh yes, UK and digital counts Americans and physical-ophiles). It might need a slow week in terms of other titles (though I suppose that depends on how close the top three actually are), but that's still an insane prospect.

Old 2015-05-29, 05:43 PM   #16
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Smile

Liked this one quite a bit. It was good to see some character development for Nautica, who seems to be fitting in way better with the weirdos on Rodimus's crew than she ever did among her "sorority".

It's also nice to see Minimus wandering around without the Magnus armour. I'm sure that'll come back to bite him in the ass eventually, but it's a nice bit of character development to see that he's so comfortable with himself even around strangers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagger View Post
Re: Cyclonus -- I'd completely agree with Unicron's statement if not for the fact that some of the folks that we saw killed on Kimia, like Grotusque, have popped up in the scenery since then (not 100 percent certain about the Technobots that were there, though).
Don't be silly, the Technobots will be back as soon as they need them to flog a new Combiner Wars Computron.

But even then, people at least seem to still be irked by Cyclonus. Whereas Brainstorm is back to palling around with everyone as if the last six issues never happened. And in spite of what was said last issue, he seems to be allowed to wander around making new super-devices without anyone being worried (who's to say that he's not turning Nautica's wrench into a new time-travel killing machine?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terome View Post
Will Nightbeat and Getaway be perfectly okay next month?
Of course they will be. Even if the monsters tear them limb from limb.

Quote:
And, whilst I like Swerve more than, say, Warcry, I can't see why he's been given a new skit of Earth Culture when Bluestreak already has that market cornered. Plus, Community probably wouldn't exist in the IDWverse, it started in 2009. Or in other words, when America was a smouldering post AHM apocalyptic ruin. Sitcoms wouldn't have been up to much then.
**** Swerve.

You're right though. Popular culture in the IDWverse would have taken a very different turn after AHM, just like US popular culture became quite a bit more patriotic and pro-military in the aftermath of 9/11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightdramon View Post
Something's up with Flamewar. She's evil and a monster queen.
She's clearly up to no good, just like the suspiciously hard to remember medic. How else could she just show up (at around the same time, yet) and become second-in-command, cutting over the heads of all of Thunderclash's established troops, with nobody complaining?

Anyone want to bet that the mystery miracle doctor is Pharma? I know the crewmember that First Aid was talking to used "she" as a descriptor, but she also couldn't recall a single thing about them, so... And he does have a track record of magically being able to repair fatal spark damage.

Quote:
My head says it's unlikely, but we're tantalisingly close to having a Transformers comic top an actual proper comics chart (oh yes, UK and digital counts Americans and physical-ophiles). It might need a slow week in terms of other titles (though I suppose that depends on how close the top three actually are), but that's still an insane prospect.
It's impressive! It's a shame that we don't know how digital sales and print ones add up, but if MTMTE is doing that well on the digital charts you'd have to think that makes it a pretty solid success overall.

It's surprising to see the book climbing the digital charts so much when the physical sales numbers don't seem to be changing, though (at least, based on the Diamond numbers that are publicly available).

Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-29, 07:39 PM   #17
Unicron
Time for plan bee-weeoop

Quote:
It's also nice to see Minimus wandering around without the Magnus armour. I'm sure that'll come back to bite him in the ass eventually, but it's a nice bit of character development to see that he's so comfortable with himself even around strangers.
Yup. I fully expect him to be nearly killed while taking a quiet stroll sans armor. Possibly even with his new buddy Ten sacrificing himself to save him.
Quote:
Don't be silly, the Technobots will be back as soon as they need them to flog a new Combiner Wars Computron.

But even then, people at least seem to still be irked by Cyclonus. Whereas Brainstorm is back to palling around with everyone as if the last six issues never happened. And in spite of what was said last issue, he seems to be allowed to wander around making new super-devices without anyone being worried (who's to say that he's not turning Nautica's wrench into a new time-travel killing machine?).
Like I've joked before, we'll find out it was actually Afterbruner, Nosebone, and Lichtspeed on Kimia and the 3 real Technobots are relaxing on a Hedonian beach, recovering from the fun of Stormbringer and Revelation.

With Brainstorm, I can sort of see things being back to normal (aside from him still being allowed to science unmonitored). I don't think the crew knows he was responsible for the poisoning, he didn't actually hurt anyone, nor did his actions cause any real harm. In fact, his shenanigans had to happen, otherwise the timeline would be vastly different (though no one knew that until afterwards).
There may also be a bit of the scale issue when it comes to comprehending his actions, like with Megatron. Yes, he tried to change history and would have effectively undone everyone, but I doubt people can get their heads around that. That may be giving him a pass.

I am a bit puzzled by him still being allowed to do the crazy inventing, but if I try I think I could see the justification. Given his actions and motivations, the real risk is him building another time machine. He may realize the futility in that, as his previous attempt and failure at travel was already baked in to the existing timeline.
It may also not be a risk at all since he spent centuries (millennia?) working on the first one and even had to go shopping at Decepti-mart for some materials. Yes, he no longer has to worry about research (unless he intends to find a way around the predestination problem) and would be able to build it faster this time, he may simply not have access to the necessary parts anymore. It's probably safe to let him work under supervision. Maybe even unsupervised if you throw in the occasional surprise audit from Percy to see if he's up to no good.

Of course, his alterations to Nautica's wrench may be something he's doing on the sly, and is being used as a way to show us just how brilliant he is. It shows he can still do funky science even without his lab.

Random aside: With how impressed Perceptor was at Brainstorm's work on the time machine, anyone else think it's possible they'll end up as friends, or more?

Old 2015-05-30, 12:10 AM   #18
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer

Ireland

Really liked this issue - thought it had a nice sci-fi tone to it and its also cool to have a plot which hasn't been anticipated or dissected so that we already know whats coming. I also thought this might be connected to pharma - I'm not sure that's actually the matrix map, maybe its a link to the other dimension that dragged pharma away and this is that dimensions play at coming across. The barnacles could be seeds of the eventual tentacle thing that dragged pharma off.

But I did enjoy this. I think the difference to being confused with MTMTE and the RID (whatever...) is that I always feel that I might work it out before the reveal in MTMTE and it will make sense with what has been shown whereas sometimes RID is just confusing for the sake of it (Megatrons Master Plan is still a hate of mine)

Old 2015-05-30, 11:31 AM   #19
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Quote:
Yeah, it's actually a bit of toy promotion that works. See Combiner Wars, it can be done!

Quote:
It's especially odd to see him hanging around with Getaway here, who seemed so incredibly pissed off at his betrayal at the time (punch that wall!) and wouldn't have had much chance to establish any sort of friendship with him beforehand that might mitigate things.

Quote:
You're right though. Popular culture in the IDWverse would have taken a very different turn after AHM, just like US popular culture became quite a bit more patriotic and pro-military in the aftermath of 9/11.
So I guess we have a choice between either Community or All Hail Megatron being canon.

I've never even seen Community, but that's an easy choice.

Quote:
She's clearly up to no good, just like the suspiciously hard to remember medic. How else could she just show up (at around the same time, yet) and become second-in-command, cutting over the heads of all of Thunderclash's established troops, with nobody complaining?
I wonder if the medic is going to be Thingey (Christ, I've forgotten her name! The DJD's support gal)? Turns up, pretending to be nice and helpful but poisoning Thunderclash as a side effect?

Quote:
It's impressive! It's a shame that we don't know how digital sales and print ones add up, but if MTMTE is doing that well on the digital charts you'd have to think that makes it a pretty solid success overall.

It's surprising to see the book climbing the digital charts so much when the physical sales numbers don't seem to be changing, though (at least, based on the Diamond numbers that are publicly available).
Actual digital sales are a mania of mine (as people may have noticed), I'd love to find them out, though with the Comixology chart being weekly and the Diamond one monthly it would probably need some mental adjustment.

I think that's a very healthy sign of the book hitting a wider audience digitally (one that Ex-RID- or any of the other titles for that matter- doesn't seem to be managing). Even if it's only a few 1000 extra copies, with sales still around the 10K mark, that could make a big difference percentage wise.

Old 2015-05-30, 12:33 PM   #20
Unicron
Time for plan bee-weeoop

Quote:
I wonder if the medic is going to be Thingey (Christ, I've forgotten her name! The DJD's support gal)? Turns up, pretending to be nice and helpful but poisoning Thunderclash as a side effect?
Nickel. And seems unlikely, given her small size. Also there being no hints to any sort of weird Rung-like memory issues with her