The Transformers Archive Skip to main content / Also skip section headers

[The Transformers Archive - an international fan site]
Please feel free to log in or register.

 
  • transformers toys
  • transformers comics
  • transformers cartoon
  • transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Toys & Merch

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2015-06-03, 10:00 PM   #21
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing
 
Denyer's Avatar
 
UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantrum View Post
a lot of 3P stuff seems geared towards complicated and delicate like the Masterpiece line,
It is, yeah. And it's interesting to see that Hasbro have recognised this over-complexity to the extent that one-step-changers are there to get even closer to the smooth transformations seen on TV than the other main line stuff.

I find the current CW releases are the appropriate balance for stuff I'd actually want to transform much. The warrior class RID Grimlock is decent, and I'd like to see an original colours homage. Strongarm does feel a bit cheap (although like movie stuff the plastic is better in hand than seen in packaging).
 
Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-03, 11:08 PM   #22
Thunderwave
Gestalt
 
Upstate, NY
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denyer View Post
The warrior class RID Grimlock is decent, and I'd like to see an original colours homage.
It's coming. There are in package images of it kicking about. It's going to be called "Gold Grimlock" iirc.
 
Thunderwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-04, 12:49 AM   #23
Tantrum
Systems Analyst
 
Tantrum's Avatar
 
Aquidneck Island, RI, USA
Default

I found an image of Gold Grimlock here, thought it's actually orange. While looking for it, I found out that the elbow in that mold tend to break rather severly due to improperly made ratchet joints.

It reminds me of Gen Nightbeat. I thought I'd mistransformed him since his chest scraped the ground in car more. Then, I read that moldmate Bumblebee had the same problem. Apparently he's just made like that.

Is quality slipping like this happening across other toy lines? Toys in general are becoming less profitable, so I'd expect corner-cutting across the board. But, the other action figures I see next to the TFs look more robust and detailed. Granted, they have fewer parts, which reduces costs. But, it still seems like TFs are skimping more than others.
 

Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry
Tantrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-04, 08:33 AM   #24
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix
 
Skyquake87's Avatar
 
Default

Looking at the action figures aisles in TRU and other general retail outlets, and other lines have been ... shrunk, which is skimping and corner cutting in a different way! The 5 - 6" that was the standard for most action figure lines has largely gone, to be replaced by the 3.75" scale (Doctor Who, Iron Man, Thor, Avengers) and that in turn has been replaced by these teeny tiny 1.5" figures (Guardians Of The Galaxy, Avengers : Age Of Ultron).

Only Star Wars and WWE figures seem to be available in the traditional size classes. Action figures for DC and Marvel in the 6" scale now seem to be the exclusive preserve of Forbidden Planet on the high street over here and the prices on them are something of a premium too - most individual figures are around 16.99.

There's a definite slow dying off of the action figure market, and its becoming more and more the preserve of adult collectors.
 
Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-04, 12:16 PM   #25
numbat
Legends Class
 
numbat's Avatar
 
Scotland, UK
Default

My figure collecting has changed quite radically in the last year or two. In terms of my G1 inspired Transformers collection, I have almost reached the point where I have a representation of all my key favourite characters that I am very happy with. I'm only looking for an updated Overlord, Scorponok and Megatron (masterpiece style). I'd also like a great version of Tarn and Impactor but can live without them. There are a handful of figures I'd also like to round of Generations or Prime collections, if they turn up at a good price, but they're not priorities.

I did love the movie figures, but after Age of Extinction I've gone off them. They may be better for kids (which is great) but they just don't do it for me as an adult collector (which is fine). So I have a lot of movie figures but am unlikely to get many more (if any) from future lines.

I have also parted ways largely with Generations, as I just don't like the CW style. Plus I have pretty much everyone I'd want, except perhaps for a Megatron and/or Galvatron but neither have been released with a decent mould at the scale I'd want (Voyager). But it's no biggie - Botcon Clench or Scourge can lead my Decepticons.

Longer term I will probably end up shedding a lot of Generations and possibly movie figures.

I have moved more towards Masterpiece (picking up the ones I want) and third party (again just the ones I want). The quality of both is great - but I'm very picky.

I don't tend to buy non-Transformers, but have recently picked up Figma Motoko Kusanagi (absolutely awesome!), Toynami talking Bender (my proxy on my desk at work) and have ordered Hot Toys Rocket Raccoon and Groot (my fave comic characters, and I couldn't resist, especially when my wife actually agreed I could have them in the living room, where no Transformer ever gets to set foot for more than a few minutes...).

But yeah, winding down really, as I feel like I'm pretty much 'there'.
 


New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).


Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
numbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-04, 08:56 PM   #26
Knightdramon
Primus
 
Knightdramon's Avatar
 
York, UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantrum View Post
I found an image of Gold Grimlock here, thought it's actually orange. While looking for it, I found out that the elbow in that mold tend to break rather severly due to improperly made ratchet joints.

It reminds me of Gen Nightbeat. I thought I'd mistransformed him since his chest scraped the ground in car more. Then, I read that moldmate Bumblebee had the same problem. Apparently he's just made like that.

Is quality slipping like this happening across other toy lines? Toys in general are becoming less profitable, so I'd expect corner-cutting across the board. But, the other action figures I see next to the TFs look more robust and detailed. Granted, they have fewer parts, which reduces costs. But, it still seems like TFs are skimping more than others.
I think that the rising costs of plastic and the inherent complexity of the average TF compared to other lines/figures all contribute to some of these happy "accidents" where you're scratching your head while looking at a flaw of the figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyquake87 View Post
Looking at the action figures aisles in TRU and other general retail outlets, and other lines have been ... shrunk, which is skimping and corner cutting in a different way! The 5 - 6" that was the standard for most action figure lines has largely gone, to be replaced by the 3.75" scale (Doctor Who, Iron Man, Thor, Avengers) and that in turn has been replaced by these teeny tiny 1.5" figures (Guardians Of The Galaxy, Avengers : Age Of Ultron).

Only Star Wars and WWE figures seem to be available in the traditional size classes. Action figures for DC and Marvel in the 6" scale now seem to be the exclusive preserve of Forbidden Planet on the high street over here and the prices on them are something of a premium too - most individual figures are around 16.99.

There's a definite slow dying off of the action figure market, and its becoming more and more the preserve of adult collectors.
Yeah. This is a bit concerning though, because less of an audience means less of a market, less figures sold, and the onward chain from that. Which then just leads to lower production runs, higher costs per unit, and more frustration in getting said unit.

Thankfully Takara's MP figures are relatively easy to get a hold of before release, so we are not suffering in full just yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbat View Post
My figure collecting has changed quite radically in the last year or two. In terms of my G1 inspired Transformers collection, I have almost reached the point where I have a representation of all my key favourite characters that I am very happy with. I'm only looking for an updated Overlord, Scorponok and Megatron (masterpiece style). I'd also like a great version of Tarn and Impactor but can live without them. There are a handful of figures I'd also like to round of Generations or Prime collections, if they turn up at a good price, but they're not priorities.

I did love the movie figures, but after Age of Extinction I've gone off them. They may be better for kids (which is great) but they just don't do it for me as an adult collector (which is fine). So I have a lot of movie figures but am unlikely to get many more (if any) from future lines.

I have also parted ways largely with Generations, as I just don't like the CW style. Plus I have pretty much everyone I'd want, except perhaps for a Megatron and/or Galvatron but neither have been released with a decent mould at the scale I'd want (Voyager). But it's no biggie - Botcon Clench or Scourge can lead my Decepticons.

Longer term I will probably end up shedding a lot of Generations and possibly movie figures.

I have moved more towards Masterpiece (picking up the ones I want) and third party (again just the ones I want). The quality of both is great - but I'm very picky.

I don't tend to buy non-Transformers, but have recently picked up Figma Motoko Kusanagi (absolutely awesome!), Toynami talking Bender (my proxy on my desk at work) and have ordered Hot Toys Rocket Raccoon and Groot (my fave comic characters, and I couldn't resist, especially when my wife actually agreed I could have them in the living room, where no Transformer ever gets to set foot for more than a few minutes...).

But yeah, winding down really, as I feel like I'm pretty much 'there'.
Age of Extinction was a disappointment for me as well---yes, from the one figure I had for a few days

I found it heartbreaking that I could just flex parts of him with my fingers. I am sure that other figures were better off or even worse off, but yeah, my next movie figure will be [when, if ever released] a premium LDR Sentinel Prime.

Hot Toys is a dangerous path my friend...they are very nice, very expensive...and I personally found I was deathly bored of them after a while. I had quite a few figures but after a while I got bored---it was all pose, leave it as it is, stare, come back, pose again etc...no transformation or intricacy like TFs.
 

Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Knightdramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-05, 08:32 AM   #27
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing
 
Denyer's Avatar
 
UK
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderwave View Post
It's coming. There are in package images of it kicking about. It's going to be called "Gold Grimlock" iirc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantrum View Post
I found an image of Gold Grimlock here, thought it's actually orange.
Cheers, first I'd seen of it. It'll be easier than completely repainting the green and black, although it's a shame it doesn't seem to be anything like the product photo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyquake87 View Post
teeny tiny 1.5" figures (Guardians Of The Galaxy, Avengers : Age Of Ultron).
Mmm. Don't know what the **** that's about or who might be buying them... there's a point at which too small is too small, or at least can't realistically be sold except in pound shops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dramon
Hot Toys is a dangerous path
I think it really would be if collecting groups, particularly due to the size. The three I've got aren't due to any recent films or other "new" interest though.
 
Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-05, 10:29 AM   #28
Thunderwave
Gestalt
 
Upstate, NY
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightdramon View Post
Hot Toys is a dangerous path my friend...they are very nice, very expensive...and I personally found I was deathly bored of them after a while. I had quite a few figures but after a while I got bored---it was all pose, leave it as it is, stare, come back, pose again etc...no transformation or intricacy like TFs.
I think my wife would castrate me if I spent that much money on something she wasn't terribly interested in, at least all at one time and on one item.
 
Thunderwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-05, 07:07 PM   #29
numbat
Legends Class
 
numbat's Avatar
 
Scotland, UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightdramon View Post
Age of Extinction was a disappointment for me as well---yes, from the one figure I had for a few days

I found it heartbreaking that I could just flex parts of him with my fingers. I am sure that other figures were better off or even worse off, but yeah, my next movie figure will be [when, if ever released] a premium LDR Sentinel Prime.
If that's Leader Armour Prime, then you may be pleased to hear he's one of five AoE figures I play with regularly - along with Leader Black Knight Grimlock, Takara Rusty Prime, new Bumblebee and Stinger. I do also love Slug and Strafe, but they don't have a regular display spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightdramon View Post
Hot Toys is a dangerous path my friend...they are very nice, very expensive...and I personally found I was deathly bored of them after a while. I had quite a few figures but after a while I got bored---it was all pose, leave it as it is, stare, come back, pose again etc...no transformation or intricacy like TFs.
Yeah, I get that, having bought Figma Motoko Kusanagi and Toynami Bender in the last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denyer View Post
I think it really would be if collecting groups, particularly due to the size. The three I've got aren't due to any recent films or other "new" interest though.
Other than Rocket (who goes back to childhood) and Groot there aren't any other Hot Toys figures I have interest in... Maybe in the future, but who knows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderwave View Post
I think my wife would castrate me if I spent that much money on something she wasn't terribly interested in, at least all at one time and on one item.
My wife's attitude is quite different. She tends to view multiple small purchases of main line figures as a waste of money (apparently Happy Meal quality). That said she views Masterpiece figures often as poor... But I think that's because for some reason she hates Transformers. She actually had no issue with me spending 250 GBP on Hot Toys Rocket and Groot. Apparently it's to do with quality (not quantity?).

The thing for me is being able to display my figures (that represent something of my interests) in my home. I (for some reason) amn't able to display any Transformers in public areas of our home...
 


New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).


Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
numbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-05, 09:58 PM   #30
Thunderwave
Gestalt
 
Upstate, NY
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbat View Post
My wife's attitude is quite different. She tends to view multiple small purchases of main line figures as a waste of money (apparently Happy Meal quality). That said she views Masterpiece figures often as poor... But I think that's because for some reason she hates Transformers. She actually had no issue with me spending 250 GBP on Hot Toys Rocket and Groot. Apparently it's to do with quality (not quantity?).

The thing for me is being able to display my figures (that represent something of my interests) in my home. I (for some reason) amn't able to display any Transformers in public areas of our home...
I keep my collection to my "office" and there is peace in our house. I honestly don't mind sticking with mostly mainline releases and the occasional splurge. My collection is kind of my zen garden and an important part of my life for other reasons.

Of course we also have other expensive hobbies we do together, as we're both involved in 3 medieval groups (SCA, Dagorhir, and a LARP) and are gamers. Sometimes my Transformer's purchases have to be squeezed in around things like fabric, leather, and other gear.
 
Thunderwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-05, 10:27 PM   #31
Dead Man Wade
Next-Generation Spambot
 
Dead Man Wade's Avatar
 
Funny location
Default

My wife is really cool about my purchases, thankfully, and is genuinely interested in some of the stuff I buy. The more expensive stuff, she wants to know why I spent so much, but it's more of a "So, explain why he was $200, because I'm not seeing it" thing than "We can't afford this! What is the matter with you?!"

I'm generally pretty happy with where things are currently, as far as the toys themselves go. There's a lot of different stuff in different styles, and I can pretty much buy what I want as I please. I sometimes become mildly obsessive about a line (Prime, currently), but whatever. I don't follow closely to be aware of the behind-the scenes ****ery, so I'm comparatively stress-free in that regard. As ever, the fans are usually the worst part, and I think that the third-party stuff is symptomatic of that. I don't really care for the notion of "Hasbro is too slow putting out the stuff I want/I'm not happy with the stuff they're putting out, so I'll make my own and make money off their intellectual property". It seems a little less than legit, and Hasbro is way more accepting of it than I'd be.
 
Dead Man Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-06, 12:20 PM   #32
Dead Man Wade
Next-Generation Spambot
 
Dead Man Wade's Avatar
 
Funny location
Default

With the benefit of a little distance, I realize my comment about fans may be misconstrued. To be clear, I'm not speaking of anyone here when I complain about that. I have nothing but respect for the people on this site; it's more people out there, in the wilds.

So, yeah. Sorry.
 
Dead Man Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-06, 01:51 PM   #33
Knightdramon
Primus
 
Knightdramon's Avatar
 
York, UK
Default

Nah it's not really. I am very open about how I dislike how the fandom is right now, aware that this generalization counts us in by definition, but it's "targeted" at the "big guns" over at the larger fan sites.

I am personally going through a difficult phase with collecting right now---namely because there's too many things I'd like/can afford [spread out, of course], yet I keep getting flashbacks to those guys from the maz interviews with the [in my personal opinion] distasteful displays that look like a toystore.

On the topic of HT, they are insanely cool as display pieces and one-offs, but yes, at around 30-40 centimetres per figure, you either need a huge display area after a while or you are in trouble. The newer die-cast Iron Man figures are tempting though, so I might go for a couple at some point. The drawback being, of course, that then I'd want just another, and just another...and there we go again...
 

Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Knightdramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-07, 04:59 PM   #34
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster
 
inflatable dalek's Avatar
 
Kidderminster UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
Y
I've never quite gotten this either. I mean, if there's six Dinobot teams out there dividing up the market, wouldn't you make more money selling the Monsterbots instead? Even if only 1/5 as many people like the Monsterbots as the Dinobots, you're still ahead of the 1/7 share you can expect to buy into your version of Slag.
Aye, the mainstream Generations line is actually doing a better job of representing "Obscure" fan favourite characters, even beyond the ones that have been picked because of a decent role in the recent comics. It's hard to imagine a third party company doing a Sky-Byte for example. Or even a Rattrap.

Come to that, have they touched any Beast era characters?
 
inflatable dalek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-07, 05:09 PM   #35
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing
 
Denyer's Avatar
 
UK
Default

http://en.wikialpha.org/wiki/Haiku_(...antasy_Club%29
http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transf...iscussion.html

I prefer the Sencho Barbossa version, personally. Haven't bitten though.


http://i.imgur.com/rt5m8da.jpg
 
Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-07, 05:13 PM   #36
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster
 
inflatable dalek's Avatar
 
Kidderminster UK
Red face

Of course, of all the characters I had to pick for an example, it had to be one that did get a 3P toy.

Just substitute "Scoop" for "Sky-Byte" in the above post.


They've been 50000000 3P Scoop's haven't there?
 
inflatable dalek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-07, 06:59 PM   #37
Thunderwave
Gestalt
 
Upstate, NY
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Man Wade View Post
My wife is really cool about my purchases, thankfully, and is genuinely interested in some of the stuff I buy. The more expensive stuff, she wants to know why I spent so much, but it's more of a "So, explain why he was $200, because I'm not seeing it" thing than "We can't afford this! What is the matter with you?!"

I'm generally pretty happy with where things are currently, as far as the toys themselves go. There's a lot of different stuff in different styles, and I can pretty much buy what I want as I please. I sometimes become mildly obsessive about a line (Prime, currently), but whatever.
This got a chuckle out of me. My wife tracked me down a Breakdown for my birthday so I could "finish off" the Prime line in terms of things I really wanted to have to finish off my collection. She knows how much I loved that show and the toys that came out for it. It's the single biggest purchase she's made for my collection thus far.

And yea, I don't understand a lot of the up in arms #$^$ that goes on in the fandom.
 
Thunderwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-07, 08:52 PM   #38
Knightdramon
Primus
 
Knightdramon's Avatar
 
York, UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
Come to that, have they touched any Beast era characters?
Skybyte excluded [as in, repaint of a BW toy]...BWII Lio Convoy by perfect effect, due to come out supposedly this month.

Appears to be very well received [pre-release, heh] and the company has shown blueprints for Big Convoy as well...
 

Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Knightdramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-08, 04:11 PM   #39
Dead Man Wade
Next-Generation Spambot
 
Dead Man Wade's Avatar
 
Funny location
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderwave View Post
This got a chuckle out of me. My wife tracked me down a Breakdown for my birthday so I could "finish off" the Prime line in terms of things I really wanted to have to finish off my collection. She knows how much I loved that show and the toys that came out for it. It's the single biggest purchase she's made for my collection thus far.
God, Breakdown's just a little slice of fried gold, isn't he? That's one that my wife didn't really understand the cost of at first.

Prime in general (barring the fairly disappointing Smokescreen and the all-around-crap Airachnid) was pretty ****ing great. I've completed my show Autobots, and I'm slowly working on the 'Cons.

Quote:
And yea, I don't understand a lot of the up in arms #$^$ that goes on in the fandom.
I was farting around some random page looking at pictures of CW Ultra Magnus, and I was amazed at all the fan bitching. People were doing the obligatory "It's not Ultra Magnus unless he's a white Optimus Prime with armor!" It's like, "They just put one out. Why do you care? You've got what you want."
 
Dead Man Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-08, 11:06 PM   #40
Thunderwave
Gestalt
 
Upstate, NY
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Man Wade View Post
God, Breakdown's just a little slice of fried gold, isn't he? That's one that my wife didn't really understand the cost of at first.
When he first hit we were in a bit of a rough spot so I was forced to pass on him. Now he's up around $350USD for a new in box one. We got lucky and snagged one for $90 from a collector sans box but in like new condition. My wife, thankfully, was determined to snag me one.

The only two show figures I'm missing are an Air Vehicon and Silas, which I can live without the pair of them. I think the only real complaint I had about the line where the guns Skyquake and Dreadwing came with. That and I fell in love with the damned Arms Microns thanks to me picking up Wildrider and Frenzy from Takara (and luckily I found a Hasbro Rumble at a discount shop for a second set of piledrivers).

Also Smokescreen makes for a better Prowl...and an even better Barricade. The transformation is still balls but he looks nice in black and purple.
 
Thunderwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
 
 
[the-hub.co.uk]
[transfans.co.uk]
[oneshallstand]
[unicron.com]
[counter-x.net]
[ntfa.net]
[allspark.com]
[transformertoys.co.uk]
[tfu.info]
[botchthecrab.com]
[obscure_tf]
[tfradio.net]
 

[TFArchive button]
Link graphics...

BOOKMARK US
Or in FF, hit Ctrl+D.