Looks right to me.

Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-20, 05:58 PM   #62
Rack 'n Ruin
Unregistered User

Debris, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendocon 2.0 View Post
Ha. Masquerade. Camouflage paint. Almost as stupid as invisibility spray, but not quite.

Rendered even more implausible by the fact Starscream of all people sees straight through it with no supporting evidence.

"I've waited a long time for this, Prime" says Motormaster who's only been alive for about a week.

[EDIT]
Right, I've got this mess down to 26 episodes. It's a sensible number, I could probably get it down to even more without much hassle, but as a multiple of thirteen I think it's fine. Obviously I'll have junked episodes you like and kept ones you hate, but I ain't answerable to you, so **** it.

Traitor
The Immobilizer
The Insecticon Syndrome
Dinobot Island, Part 1
Dinobot Island, Part 2
The Master Builders
Auto Berserk
Microbots
Desertion of the Dinobots, Part 1
Desertion of the Dinobots, Part 2
Blaster Blues
A Decepticon Raider in King Arthur's Court
The Golden Lagoon
The God Gambit
Make Tracks
The Gambler
Triple Takeover*
Prime Target
The Girl Who Loved Powerglide**
The Key to Vector Sigma, Part 1
The Key to Vector Sigma, Part 2
Trans-Europe Express
Cosmic Rust
Starscream's Brigade
The Revenge of Bruticus
War Dawn

* just for Starscream admitting he's an idiot
** need to just trim down that last scene
OK, so if all that rubbish is cut what are we left with?

Wreck and Rule!
Rack 'n Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-20, 06:02 PM   #63
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Red face

Quote:
going "twenty years later" and just sticking the movie on...

Brendocon 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-20, 06:42 PM   #64
Auntie Slag
Satisfaction guaranteed !

Cambridge, UK
Question

I wonder if Scramble City should have been included on the Metrodome Season 2; Part 2 disc? That would made for a lovelyl extra. Its nice that its present on the TF:TM 2-disc, but perhaps many of us would have bought a previous version of the movie by that point?

My VHS copy of the movie from '87 lasted until the early 2000's, when mould finally got the tape inside. I'd already bought a re-issue of the film from Tesco by that point, complete with dodgy day-glo artwork that would have offended the young me and the utterly serious, dark and edgy atmos the movie was projecting.

And its ace music.

Auntie Slag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-20, 06:50 PM   #65
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Talking

Triple Takeover is superb. I remember that it had this really good rep from the nineties Sunbow Massive - there's a military coup by Blitzwing, and he turns into a jet and a tank and has a purple sword!!!! And he's really good and smashes up a ton of Autobots!!!!

And the result is awful, but in that utterly brilliant awful way that only G1 could do while still remaining fantastically watchable.
  • They plot their conspiracy while shooting their faces into Mount Rushmore!
  • Blitzwing takes over a Transformer-sized football stadium!
  • Astrotrain just ****s off and does something dumb he could have done any week where the episode wasn't set in space.
    "Hey, Megatron, we going into space this week?"
    "No, we're building a stationary super-laser and relying on the Autobots walking in front of it."
    "Cool, I'll be down the railyard building some sentient trains."
    "Whatever, spacebus."
  • Blitzwing keeps firing footballs at the scoreboard and yelling "MOAR POINTS 4 BLITZWING".
  • Prowl's team just drive around the weird concrete maze thing at idiotic speeds for no reason other than to get squashed by Blitzwing.
  • Scrapper basically transforms and rebuilts the Autobots to make Blitzwing's throne and is then just sitting on it (probably wearing Blitzwing's silver heels out of shot) when Hoist and Powerglide rock up.
  • A pipe gets broken and the entire ****ing city floods.
  • Blitzwing offers the Constructicons joint leadership (which would be of the Coneheads basically) then decides against it out of sheer prickishness and has about three frames of looking really smug about it before they form Devastator and he's suddenly all "Derp derp, didn't think that through at all".
  • Megatron wins the resulting Leaderbowl simply because they're out of time and everything needs to be back in place for next week.
  • Nothing that Blitzwing and Astrotrain do in this episode has any sort of follow-up at all. Hell, Blitzwing even gets picked out of the hat to be the honourable Decepticon guy in FFoD despite the fact this episode shows he's a prick even in relative terms after basically trying to **** the entire damn faction to make himself feel better about his fat marshmallow sandwich wings.
I want to take this episode out for an expensive carbonara then frame its' ****ing soul.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-20, 07:09 PM   #66
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Red face

See I opted for the "just get massively drunk while watching the middle of the season" approach. All I remember about Takeover is that I had a mouthful of brandy when Starscream admitted he's an idiot so I nearly ****ing choked to death.

But those are also valid points.

Old 2015-09-20, 09:28 PM   #67
Tetsuro
One with the Matrix

Suomi Finland Perkele

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Slag View Post
I wonder if Scramble City should have been included on the Metrodome Season 2; Part 2 disc? That would made for a lovelyl extra. Its nice that its present on the TF:TM 2-disc, but perhaps many of us would have bought a previous version of the movie by that point?
Maybe, but the newest release is worth the admission price just on the basis of not looking like a videotape dump. Which I'm pretty sure all the previous DVD releases were. Except for Reconstructed, which looked like arse for an entirely different reason.

Speaking of looking like arse, there is no copy of Scramble City out there that doesn't look like it, is there? Zone at least has a serviceable laserdisc rip.

Tetsuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-25, 09:31 PM   #68
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Talking

SCRAMBLE CITY LOL.

The omniscient narrator who doesn't give a shit about pretending it's not just an advert gone rogue.

The way the jets and Devastator are pissing all over Prime and his four mates until the Aerialbots do a bit of shooting and then it's all "oh noes run away" (yes I know this is standard protocol but it never stops being stupid).

The way Starscream acts like he's never heard of the Stunticons.

The way the Stunticons have to be told to combine.

SCRAMBLE POWER.

Prime being surprised that Menasor also has SCRAMBLE POWER.

The ****ing thing with the arm/leg swap.

The way Fireflight (or is it Air Raid? It looks like Air Raid but his back's red and they call him Firebolt) just runs off to Prime and starts crying that it's his fault instead of shooting the **** out of the new leg until it disengages.

The way the Autobots are getting bitchslapped by Menasor and Bruticus and desperately calling for Metroplex to help; only for Metroplex to be followed into combat by the Protectobots because everybody forgot they could have just called them in in the first place. Because let's face it you would forget about the Protectobots.

This is peak Transformers.

Old 2015-09-25, 11:13 PM   #69
Tetsuro
One with the Matrix

Suomi Finland Perkele

Quote:
The omniscient narrator who doesn't give a shit about pretending it's not just an advert gone rogue.
Apparently the JP dub of the main cartoon does this a lot.

But yeah, if you need any proof to why the combiners' ability to swap limbs was never really explored in any fiction, Scramble City is all you need to see; only about 16 minutes of new footage and the animators couldn't even keep track of the combiner limbs for that long!

Old 2015-09-29, 06:44 PM   #70
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Red face

Forget being aimed at them, the first episode of Five Faces feels and looks like it was made by eight-year-olds.

Old 2015-09-29, 08:05 PM   #71
Tetsuro
One with the Matrix

Suomi Finland Perkele

Was it Simpsons or Batman where AKOM did such a consistently bad job they got kicked out of the production?

Old 2015-09-29, 08:09 PM   #72
Unicron
Time for plan bee-weeoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsuro View Post
Was it Simpsons or Batman where AKOM did such a consistently bad job they got kicked out of the production?
Batman. They did too many episodes of Simpsons to have been axed

Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-29, 08:51 PM   #73
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK

**** me. Chaos. Yeah, lets have an episode where the core cast alongside Kup is Grimlock, Wheelie, Blurr and Wreck-Gar. Because that won't be ****ing annoying in the slightest.

Death crystals. Christ alive.

Anyway, big up Victor Caroli and his HEROICALLY frantic recaps at the beginning of each episode of Five Faces. An unsung central midfield workhorse if ever there was one. A man of the match performance in a relegation-baiting result.

Old 2015-09-29, 09:10 PM   #74
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

I always remember FFoD as an ambitious script undone by super-crap animation (and I think it is probably the worst of the series; Akom's stuff's always primitive but everything in FFoD is so sluggish) until I actually sit down and watch it - things like the garbage scoop, the off-switch and so on would still be shit if it looked like Akira.

Old 2015-09-30, 12:48 AM   #75
Tetsuro
One with the Matrix

Suomi Finland Perkele

I guess it's only a sign of my forgiving nature that I don't even consider Madman's Paradise that bad a story...at worst, it's just kind of embarassing - like the fact that they couldn't think of a better name for Golden One.

Old 2015-09-30, 08:10 PM   #76
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK

The most jarring thing about season 3 so far is Fight or Flee.

I mean yeah it's got animation errors like the Bruticus thing, and there's the whole bit where only one character on the whole of Paradron has a name or personality; but not only has it got a solid story but it doesn't look like it was drawn by me.

How the **** did this slip through quality control?

Old 2015-09-30, 08:33 PM   #77
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Red face

Oh it's alright here's Thief in the Night to balance the scales.

Where the Autobots, who have conquered the notion of interstellar transport, don't notice a giant t-rex stealing landmarks and hiding in the nation with a history of harbouring Decepticons. Even when they're actively trying to find him.

"Dinosaur transform electrons". FFS.

Old 2015-09-30, 10:53 PM   #78
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Quote:
How the **** did this slip through quality control?
That script too. I know everyone's said the Magnus quote so often it's lost something but about the first ten minutes especially is just full of cracking lines. Plus Rodimus is such an absolute prick at the end.

"Thief in the Night" is amazing because it's obvious that they've either just completely forgotten which Triple Changer was dramatically exiled at the end of "FFoD" or are just hoping everyone else has. Plus what the **** is Fadakki going to do with all those monuments anyway?

"Hey, American pig-dogs, I see your Statue of Liberty has been stolen. Why not jump on a plane to Carbombya and see the one I have here?"

I mean, is the guy trying to start a war or what?

Old 2015-10-01, 07:53 AM   #79
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
That script too. I know everyone's said the Magnus quote so often it's lost something but about the first ten minutes especially is just full of cracking lines. Plus Rodimus is such an absolute prick at the end.
I always liked it as an episode anyway, but its only in context of everything else that you realise just how good it is as a Transformers ep. It's like it's gotten confused and wandered in from an actual decent program by mistake.

Quote:
"Thief in the Night" is amazing because it's obvious that they've either just completely forgotten which Triple Changer was dramatically exiled at the end of "FFoD" or are just hoping everyone else has.
Given that FFoD was never released on video over here (which is still a bit bizarre given the shit they did put out), I'd always just assumed Octane was just operating his own agenda. It's only when put in context with the other episode that it gets a bit peculiar.

My favourite part of "Forever is a Long Time Coming" is how the Autobots who've met Alpha Trion can't work out who A3 is without being told; despite him looking exactly the ****ing same, just with a moustache instead of a beard.

Oh to have the power to go back and scrap half this rubbish and free up the budget to make Dark Awakening look as good as Fight or Flee.

Old 2015-10-01, 08:03 AM   #80
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

IIRC the Wiki has some Japanese promotion for Starscream's Ghost with Blitzwing in it instead of Octane, suggesting they were originally going to follow up on FFOD but a nice friendly Hasbro exec walked past and cheerfully said "Hey, that's a nice story about a Triple Changer you've got there. Wouldn't you like to make it about our new Triple Changer?" whilst cracking their knuckles.

Which also, worryingly, suggests Thief in the Night was written afterwards to try and fill in the backstory for Octane that the reworked script now assumed you knew about him. See, someone did care! Just not enough to make sure the three now linked episodes (including the "Sandstorm can't be in one before this" Fight or Flee) went out in the right order.

inflatable dalek is online now   Reply With Quote