• transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Media & Fandom > New Comics

Old 2016-03-19, 03:11 PM   #1
Patapsco
Sod. Off

Default More Than Meets The Eye 51

The plot thickens, so put on your mittens for these sub-zero conditions

Well, we've found out why the last wishes message took so long to arrive at the start of number 50. Also, "SCREW GETAWAY"

"When did you first realize that he uses bad grammar to distract you whenever you raise an objection to something he wants to do?"
Patapsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-19, 03:28 PM   #2
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer

Ireland

I know Roberts tends to fumble the endings after good build up as a general rule, but I am loving the tension here. Cant beat a ticking clock.

Red Dave Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-20, 09:22 AM   #3
Patapsco
Sod. Off

So it looks like there's going to be a lot of talking going on in this issue, as it seems Tarn has at least some sort of plan which isn't "murder everyone immediately"

"When did you first realize that he uses bad grammar to distract you whenever you raise an objection to something he wants to do?"
Old 2016-03-20, 01:44 PM   #4
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer

Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patapsco View Post
So it looks like there's going to be a lot of talking going on in this issue, as it seems Tarn has at least some sort of plan which isn't "murder everyone immediately"
I'm sure at some point we'll have the Autobots have the "we should / should not give up Megatron to the DJD". If Megs is really against violence, he should volunteer to go out - although maybe he knows that wont stop the psychos in the DJD force.

Old 2016-03-20, 06:00 PM   #5
Patapsco
Sod. Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dave Prime View Post
I'm sure at some point we'll have the Autobots have the "we should / should not give up Megatron to the DJD". If Megs is really against violence, he should volunteer to go out - although maybe he knows that wont stop the psychos in the DJD force.
yeah, I'm thinking someone is going to try and give Megatron up Judas style and Roberts has previous for using biblical metaphors. But again, I can't shake this feeling that Chromedome is going to do something silly. No idea why, but I just do. Also, it's nice to see Swerve being a metallurgist for a change and a nod to his original tech specs

Old 2016-03-21, 03:32 AM   #6
Tetsuro
One with the Matrix

Suomi Finland Perkele

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dave Prime View Post
I'm sure at some point we'll have the Autobots have the "we should / should not give up Megatron to the DJD".
Yeah, except alternate universe Rewind knows exactly how well that sort of plan tends to work.

Tetsuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-21, 10:17 AM   #7
Patapsco
Sod. Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsuro View Post
Yeah, except alternate universe Rewind knows exactly how well that sort of plan tends to work.
weren't they perfectly happy to leave after killing Overlord right up to the point when they found out Drift was on board?

Old 2016-03-21, 10:42 AM   #8
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer

Ireland

They find drift first I think. Wiki has it that overlord is executed after the rampage. Although I remember thinking it went the other way with them killing overlord first and then bumping into drift.

Curious will we get any major parts with rewind - given what he went through he must be bricking it.

Old 2016-03-21, 09:04 PM   #9
Patapsco
Sod. Off

Another thing: the last requests message was sent when the crew had six and a half hours to live, while Tarn isn't due back until sunset which is 8 hours away. Unless there's a parlay and Tarn backs off, whatever and whoever convinces the crew to send those messages is amongst them right now

Old 2016-03-22, 08:12 PM   #10
Patapsco
Sod. Off

Release date is 30th March *. Quotes and songs all posted on Twitter last night, Nickel is with the DJD, and Roberts chose, arguably, my second favourite Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds track for the soundtrack

* - tentative, as we should all know by now with this book.

Old 2016-03-25, 09:39 PM   #11
Patapsco
Sod. Off

And two more pages from another preview

Old 2016-03-30, 08:37 AM   #12
Patapsco
Sod. Off

So it's out and I'll file this under the "filler, but good" category as barely anything happened to advance the story at hand - the Lost Light is still on silent, the DJD are doing DJD things and everything's more or less where we ended last time. But... there's also some good stuff in here.

- the mystery surrounding the Knights Of Cybertron & the organics found in the Scavengers issues continues to congeal yet mystify. What are they doing with them? Saving them? Attempting to force some sort of of Grand Cybertronian Taxonomy on the rest of the universe, but with fleshlings? Who knows
- More wonderful stuff with Megatron, as his inevitable demise or reversion back to a Decepticon is looking to be a real emotional gut punch when it does happen. Again, it's a credit to Roberts that there's still just enough doubt about Megs that even if you think he's telling the truth you still think he's lying. Marvellous stuff
- Ten proves to be smarter than the crew, and me to be fair by leaving a cryptic message regarding the shield, the flowers and a force field. I must admit, I thought on first glance he was suggesting resurrecting Trailbreaker, but Roberts only brings characters back when it suits him so *jokes*
- Rodimus again proves that he's a bloody awful captain by yelling at Ten. If he gets killed, it will be a mercy killing because he's racking up one hell of a rap sheet in terms of "shitty things that have put my crew in danger to soothe my own ego"
- Oh, Ratchet and Poochie returned. While I didn't expect them to come back in this arc, I felt they were coming back at some point. Hope you like being relegated to the background Velocity.

Very much an intermediate issue, which I think will read much better in a trade than on its own. Good characterisation, some superficial filler pumping up the series backstory but not a lot going on. Give it a solid C+, maybe a B-.

Old 2016-03-30, 12:39 PM   #13
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer

Ireland

Thought there was quite a bit going on here actually. In terms of action / battle stuff, yeah not much until the end but there's a lot of info in here - some clear, some clearing up and some to be cleared. If you're going to make the joke that velocity is heading back to the background, this was an issue packed enough that several of those characters only get passing scenes.

so yes, a bridging issue, but they are kinda essential to multi-parts surely?

Just regarding your point on Rodimus - at some point Roberts has to start redeeming this guy?? Because at this point from his treatment of Ten to his seeming inaction to Magnus asking him what to do, he is still failing - I kinda thought he would have a moment of clarity here and start to finally come good. Maybe next issue.

Regarding ten though - I think this doesn't quite work because both Magnus and Swerve are there. Given what happened before I thought that neither would allow Ten to be dismissed in this why (albeit for different reasons)

That said, Ravages use of him was excellent. Still a 'Con.

Good issue, somewhat let down by the underwhelming reveal at the end (also - didn't they take down quite a few DJD there? )

Old 2016-03-30, 12:46 PM   #14
Patapsco
Sod. Off

No, it's most definitely to do with Ratchet (presumably) rejoining the crew (presumably) and becoming chief doctor (presumably) and Velocity getting bumped down to nurse like First Aid was (presumably). It's all hypothetical at the moment though. Glad to see someone else on the "Rodimus is fricking terrible" bandwagon I thought I'd been solo piloting

Old 2016-03-30, 01:10 PM   #15
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer

Ireland

Ah, ok that makes perfect sense re: Ratchet / velocity

As for rodimus, no ,i think many on here see him as a shit captain, and a bit of a prick.

Old 2016-03-30, 02:03 PM   #16
Patapsco
Sod. Off

We also still don't know the series of events that provoke the last words message from the start of the last issue. By my reckoning we're about 90 minutes or so away in the story from the point where the messages were recorded. Unless they're all pretend messages sent as a decoy while they escape...

Old 2016-03-30, 08:17 PM   #17
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

That was good solid fast and interesting stuff.

And Podcast Maximus was pretty on the ball about a lot of things (especially Terome who like Ten spotted the significance of the flowers. And like Ten we ignored him).

As a Zulu homage it's hardly surprising there's lots of standing around and talking before the attack, but here it's genuinely interesting unlike that dog of film. Great work for Swerve (he does care!) and the ever lovable Ten in particular amongst the secondary characters.

Megatron and his Big Speech was the focus of course, with the twist on the actual screams he heard being especially interesting. And even now, when he seems at his most resigned to his fate and heroic it's still hard to be sure how his conversation with Tarn will go (love the trolling of Knightdramon as well, "Show me your face!" "NO!"), fantastic stuff.

And the real twist was Ravage. We've spent so long focusing on Megatron and his motivation that the cat-con has been sitting in plain sight all along. The fact he's committed to Megatron whilst not sharing his new ideals was a perfectly realised moment.

Ratchet and Drift showing up to save Ten (from a really nasty beating) was as cheesy as hell and more than a bit obvious (when fellow podcaster Marian shared a "I'm going to hug you" GIF at James I knew straight away what the last page would be. This is what happens when you actually pay attention to what your fellow podcasters like. Don't do it!), it still put a big silly grin on my face despite being the sort of cliffhanger I normally hate.

What I really wasn't expecting was the organic tube people plot to be brought in here. So this means either the People With The Symbol weren't as sinister as we thought, or the Necrobot was actually a dodgy character. I'm now reasonably sure the Scavangers will turn up as well using the "Following the biggest concentration of Cons" device as that was very much their subplot. Hopefully not as a last page surprise cliffhanger though, two of those might be a bit too much.

One bit I didn't understand: Why didn't they use the teleport to send one or two people to call for help rather than them all making the instant heroic sacrifice choice? They'd probably be able to go further with less people using it as well.

Damn, I have an urge to read Empire of Stone now. Luckily it's a week till pay day so the urge will pass.

Last edited by inflatable dalek; 2016-03-30 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Getting the names of the people you podcast with right is basic stuff really.
inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-30, 08:31 PM   #18
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer

Ireland

I think that the gates is covered by none of them wanting to dessert the others and that even if they use the gate it only brings them to an asteroid the cobs wouldn't be able to follow them to (at least immediately) but I doubt they could go through and get any help within the eight hour window.

As for empire of stone... Just dont. Ratchet finds drift and convinces him to cone back. That's all you need to know. The rest will make you angry.

Old 2016-03-30, 08:39 PM   #19
Patapsco
Sod. Off

What, you mean Poochie's writer wrote another story that was bollocks? Colour me shocked!

Old 2016-03-30, 09:38 PM   #20
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer

Ireland

Ah leave poo... I mean drift alone.