Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Media & Fandom > New Comics

Old 2016-03-30, 09:41 PM   #21
Patapsco
Sod. Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dave Prime View Post
Ah leave poo... I mean drift alone.
Some people love Poochie. those people are wrong

"When did you first realize that he uses bad grammar to distract you whenever you raise an objection to something he wants to do?"
Patapsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-30, 09:51 PM   #22
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer

Ireland

If there is one guy who deserves to die at Tarns hand its Drift. I think it would be a great way to write out the character.

Red Dave Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-30, 09:58 PM   #23
Patapsco
Sod. Off

I've definitely stepped back from my "people needs to die to thin out the cast" stance I took a few weeks ago, but people still needs to die. But I hope that if they do, their deaths actually mean something and stick - still looking at you Cyclonus

"When did you first realize that he uses bad grammar to distract you whenever you raise an objection to something he wants to do?"
Old 2016-03-31, 07:30 PM   #24
Patapsco
Sod. Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
One bit I didn't understand: Why didn't they use the teleport to send one or two people to call for help rather than them all making the instant heroic sacrifice choice? They'd probably be able to go further with less people using it as well.
I'd imagine, and this is a bit of extrapolation on my part, is that the DJD have probably explored and shut down that possibility and have some sort of tracking system in place in much the same way that they tracked down Overlord. Plus, how would they send a signal? Nightbeat implies (again, extrapolation on my part) that the only signal sending equipment is in the fortress and therefore not particularly mobile

Old 2016-03-31, 08:06 PM   #25
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

Quote:
I think that the gates is covered by none of them wanting to dessert the others and that even if they use the gate it only brings them to an asteroid the cobs wouldn't be able to follow them to (at least immediately) but I doubt they could go through and get any help within the eight hour window.
You'd have thought it'd be worth a try (or at least addressing) though. At least chuck Rewind's apparently priceless database in there.

Quote:
As for empire of stone... Just dont. Ratchet finds drift and convinces him to cone back. That's all you need to know. The rest will make you angry.
I'm sure the urge will pass.

Surprised to see some Drift hate in this thread though, I've always liked Roberts take on the character.

The aforementioned Marian, whilst pointing out I'd managed to spell her name wrong despite knowing her for a few years now, also added to the extent of my brain fart in my original post by pointing out the three weeks later opening to issue 50 makes it unlikely the Scavengers will show up.

Ah, but... what if they actually do and their amusement in 50 was because they actually knew what was really going on with the old message?

That covers that momentary idiocy!

No?

Really?

Oh, OK. Tarn IS Megatron following time briefcase shenanigans.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-31, 08:14 PM   #26
Patapsco
Sod. Off

I remember us ripping Drift completely here when he was announced, and the first images, so it doesn't matter if Roberts writes him as well as he's writing Megatron right now, he's still Mary Sue Poochie to me anyway.

Also, I'm still convinced that Tarn is Dominus Ambus rather than Roller, and Getaway blackmailed Chromedome over this to get an unlimited supply of nudge gun charges

Old 2016-03-31, 09:46 PM   #27
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer

Ireland

Guys, Tarn is Shockwave. It's Obvious.

As for Drift, I don't hate him at all. I think he has been decent under Roberts and I don't think he's been the intrusion that he could have been when first announced. But is a character that has deserved 2 mini series and a spotlight? Nah. And I do like the idea of him going one on one with Tarn and losing. For me, I always like when a villain gets a nice build and I'd like to see Tarn take a few Bots down before he gets his comeuppance.

It wont break my heart if he survives through this.

Old 2016-03-31, 09:56 PM   #28
Unicron
Time for plan bee-weeoop

Quote:
Guys, Tarn is Shockwave. It's Obvious.
I prefer my crazy stupid Tarn theory: Tarn is Orion Pax and Optimus Prime is Roller.

Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-01, 09:55 AM   #29
Patapsco
Sod. Off

Someone else just pointed it out: just before Megatron explains why he's prepared to save the organics, he's sitting on a pink Scooty Puff Jr Space Scooter - the sort of wonderful juxtaposition Roberts and Milne throw out regularly

Old 2016-04-01, 04:04 PM   #30
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Red face

Ohhhhhhhhhh:

Everyone gives Megatron some of their "Regular" fuel allowing him to use his inbuilt spacebridge to get them out of there.

As for Drift, I have no love for McCarthy's take, but the Roberts version is basically an entirely different character so I have no problem loving him.

Old 2016-04-01, 04:16 PM   #31
Patapsco
Sod. Off

The reformed junkie turned holier than thou spiritualist Drift? Better than MarySuePoochieTron he was before admittedly, but I hardly missed him when he was gone and was spectularly underwhelmed when he returned. I was more hype for Ratchet coming back and what literary gymnastic macguffins led those two right back to exactly where they needed to be

Old 2016-04-01, 04:20 PM   #32
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

What I like about Roberts' Drift is he's a piss take of the original concept (which the film version decides to roll with as well) that manages to turn out quite serious and likeable in the end as well. YMMV.

Old 2016-04-01, 04:31 PM   #33
Patapsco
Sod. Off

It's an improvement, I'll admit but... those first impressions were just death. This is a character that we were out and out mocking on this very board based on concept art before he'd even appeared in AHM, you can't get over that. For every slicing zombies to death on Delphi, I remember his first appearance against The Swarm in AHM and it's immediately undone

Old 2016-04-01, 06:30 PM   #34
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

This certainly was a middle issue of an arc. Not much remarkable in and of itself, but hopefully it's setting up something good down the line.

Was a bit surprised to see Ratchet and Drift back so soon, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
What I like about Roberts' Drift is he's a piss take of the original concept (which the film version decides to roll with as well) that manages to turn out quite serious and likeable in the end as well. YMMV.
I don't know, I actually think that Roberts' treatment of the character was even worse than what McCarthy does with him. Instead of trying to actually rehabilitate the character, Roberts just pointed and laughed at it until basically the last issue Drift was in, at which point we were suddenly supposed to take him seriously and feel bad that a walking unaware punchline was being exiled. And "bad guy seeking redemption" is obviously a subject that Roberts can take a good hack at given what he's done with Megatron over the last couple years, so treating Drift as poorly as he did looks even worse in hindsight. It just comes across as trying to score cheap points with a fanbase that already disliked the character by saying "Look, I made him even more of a joke!" My understanding (and correct me if I'm misremembering) was that he was told by the editors to include Drift, so I can understand being less enthusiastic to use him than, say, Chromedome or Tailgate or whoever. But you can still treat the character with some respect, surely?

I dunno, it just comes across as unprofessional to me. I mean, after Roberts leaves is his replacement going to spend a couple years pissing on wish-fulfillment self-insert fanfic character Rung and/or 80s-character-but-still-a-painful-Mary-Sue Skids? A part of me hopes they do just to even the scales after the way he's written Drift.

Glad to see Ratchet back though, Ratchet's cool.

Warcry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-01, 06:53 PM   #35
Patapsco
Sod. Off

I'm just glad someone sees Skids as a not good character too. I mean, I love his arc so far but he's too much of a "sonic screwdriver" for my tastes

Old 2016-04-01, 07:14 PM   #36
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

It wouldn't bother me nearly as much if Skids had traditionally been portrayed as a polymath, but he's supposed to be a kinda useless daydreaming nerd who drives into things. His portrayal back in the old Marvel books is so much more interesting than "can do anything perfectly" that I don't think I'll ever come around to liking Roberts' version. I don't mind so much him coming up with totally new personas for Chromedome or Rewind or Tailgate or Swerve because really, they've never done anything of substance before. It'd be nice if writers stuck to a character's tech spec bio as the basis of their portrayal of a "fresh" character, but Roberts is hardly the first one to ignore them when it suits him. But when he's doing it to someone who's already starred in a signature run of stories with a very clear personality, it's a lot harder to embrace.

If he'd taken exactly the same personality and attached it to Fizzle or Splashdown or Windbreaker I'd probably be a lot less hostile to the character, though I suspect it would still grate a little bit whenever someone takes time out of the story to remind us how perfect he is.

Warcry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-02, 02:35 PM   #37
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
Was a bit surprised to see Ratchet and Drift back so soon, though.
Amazingly it's been almost exactly (and will be exactly by the time 52 comes out) three years since Drift left and almost a year since Ratchet went looking for him. WHAT HAPPENED TO TIME.

Quote:
I don't know, I actually think that Roberts' treatment of the character was even worse than what McCarthy does with him. Instead of trying to actually rehabilitate the character, Roberts just pointed and laughed at it until basically the last issue Drift was in, at which point we were suddenly supposed to take him seriously and feel bad that a walking unaware punchline was being exiled. And "bad guy seeking redemption" is obviously a subject that Roberts can take a good hack at given what he's done with Megatron over the last couple years, so treating Drift as poorly as he did looks even worse in hindsight. It just comes across as trying to score cheap points with a fanbase that already disliked the character by saying "Look, I made him even more of a joke!" My understanding (and correct me if I'm misremembering) was that he was told by the editors to include Drift, so I can understand being less enthusiastic to use him than, say, Chromedome or Tailgate or whoever. But you can still treat the character with some respect, surely?
I think what makes it work though is that Drift is clearly genuinely trying very hard. It's clear even he's not sure he believes in the lifestyle he's aiming for (I can't remember the exact circumstances but there's that moment in the Annual where there's the option to find out something from the Titan that would confirm some aspect of the guiding hand thing and he's the one who doesn't want to find out for sure either way) but is desperate to cling onto something because he's always thrown himself head first into whatever he's done. That adds layers to the Roberts version for me, at least enough to make him work anyway.

Quote:
It wouldn't bother me nearly as much if Skids had traditionally been portrayed as a polymath, but he's supposed to be a kinda useless daydreaming nerd who drives into things. His portrayal back in the old Marvel books is so much more interesting than "can do anything perfectly" that I don't think I'll ever come around to liking Roberts' version. I don't mind so much him coming up with totally new personas for Chromedome or Rewind or Tailgate or Swerve because really, they've never done anything of substance before. It'd be nice if writers stuck to a character's tech spec bio as the basis of their portrayal of a "fresh" character, but Roberts is hardly the first one to ignore them when it suits him. But when he's doing it to someone who's already starred in a signature run of stories with a very clear personality, it's a lot harder to embrace.
Oh come on now, Chromedome was the lead in a massive forty episode anime! He's got way more of an established prior character than Skids, even if that character was "Slightly more pissed Hot Rod". It's just down to you liking prior Skids. And that's fair enough, I feel the same way about MTMTE Nightbeat prior to his Necrobot epiphany.

I was also a fan of "Polish my hubcaps" Skids, but I've never had any issue with his MTMTE portrayal, yes it's arguably arbitrary that Roberts picked him to explore the Outlier idea he's obviously interested in (and looks likely to become more important if Tailgate is any indication), but the IDW version of the character was basically a blank slate having never appeared before in a role of any substance anyway.

Unlike Nightbeat actually, so screw you.I have more cause to be annoyed!

Old 2016-04-02, 08:15 PM   #38
Patapsco
Sod. Off

I don't mind Chromedome's characterisation, simply because we've not really seen a whole lot of it plus he's wiped out a lot of it via injecting. Skids, likewise, isn't a terrible character but he veers towards "magical negro" territory with his particular outlier ability, except he can't use it properly which makes me wonder why Roberts would give a character the ability to be able to do anything almost instantly, but that's a discussion for another time. As for Drift I'm not perhaps as vehement as Warcry in his analysis (though I did find myself nodding at points). Though "former drug addict turned Decepticon turned Autobot turned hyper hippie spiritualist" is a little jarring for a character that was poorly introduced in the first place

Old 2016-04-03, 09:56 AM   #39
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

I have no problem with Skids Outlier ability, it seems a fun conceit and reminds me of MisFits when Kelly trades in her existing super power to become "a f**king rocket scientist", which basically gives her the ability to figure anything out 'fast-learn' new skills.

It works, and it works for Skids. To me the IDW-verse is something that's disconnected from all previous Transformers media (I have the Marvel, Dreamwave and IDW continuities down as divergent timelines from the same source in my head). Sure, IDW use the familiar archetypes and templates created for the toyline, but then it does its own thing with them. Or does occasionally. And that's fine for me. If I want to read how the character was originally portrayed, I can still do that. That portrayal still exists. This is just something different, and that's fine.

Skids establishment in MTMTE as someone with a special ability doesn't grate for me and hasn't been the 'get out of jail free' card that one might have expected in the hands of a less capable writer.

I have no hatred towards Drift either, to me Roberts writes him like many folk I've known (predominantly white, middle class, male and with a disturbing interest in Tie-Die and dreadlocks) who've fallen in love with a religious philosophy (usually eastern) to the extent that its come to inform their entire personality. He just comes across like many of these folk do, as a slightly naieve try-hard. That the character has frequently been protrayed as a bad ass space ninja and heavily promoted by IDW in the run up to AHM is hardly the fault of the character. And I was quite happy to see him show up at the end of this issue (and I really like the colours on that splash page).

I really enjoyed this issue. I like intermediary talky bits like this, where its all little character touches/ development and some intrigue to advance the storyline. I do like that most of what happened here was pretty much called by the Podcast Maximus team!

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-03, 12:40 PM   #40
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer

Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyquake87 View Post
It works, and it works for Skids. To me the IDW-verse is something that's disconnected from all previous Transformers media (I have the Marvel, Dreamwave and IDW continuities down as divergent timelines from the same source in my head). Sure, IDW use the familiar archetypes and templates created for the toyline, but then it does its own thing with them. Or does occasionally. And that's fine for me. If I want to read how the character was originally portrayed, I can still do that. That portrayal still exists. This is just something different, and that's fine.
Yeah, I'd be in this camp, especially for minor characters. Obviously you don't want to see every character going wildly different but at the same time, you don't want writers just revisiting old versions. As for following the tech specs, given some of them are just 2-3 lines of basic character I don't see the need to stick too closely to them. For the bigger names there's a certain sense but even if we take Hot Rod/ Rodimus - that guy is so far removed from his spec at this point. All-American who follows the rules a bit too closely? I don't think I've ever seen that take on him.

ONe thing about the Drift & Ratchet characters that I find interesting is the view on religion. In MTMTE it works fine with Drift being super religious and Ratchet being the typical non-believer. The only problem is if we take the direction that ex-RID is on, there is no way any TF can be a non-believer as there is so much stuff linked to the spiritual side of Cybertronian life that it seems impossible that Ratchet would take such a stance. In real life Religion is based purely on faith, but in TF, Alpha Trion, Metroplex and Galvatron all come from that era pretty much.