Knightdramon
Protoform

MP21G Bumble G2 Ver. [uploaded]

Post by Knightdramon »

Name: Bumble G2 Ver.
Function: Cybertron Espionage
Sub Group: Autobot carbots
Size Class: N/A

It's fair to see that Bumblebee has been steadily enjoying the best decade of his life in the franchise. Many have fond memories of G1 Bumblebee [he was the kid-friendly mascot in the early seasons, which meant that he did show up almost in every single episode] but he pretty much vanished from the franchise after G1 ended.

Beast Wars didn't have a Bumblebee archetype [Cheetor comes close, but he's more Hot Rod than 'Bee] and it's only since 2007 and the first live action movie that he's back into the spotlight.

He's been enjoying his turn on the stage ever since, with pretty much every iteration since then [Movie, Animated, Prime, now RID] having him as a central character, and his prominence is also reflected in the number of toys he has.

Despite being popular in G1, he did not have many figures back then [moreso due to the fact that there were not multiple releases of the same character in various size classes back then]; he numbers at 3, with his G1 Minibot toy, his later Pretender figure and an Action Master figure. The original Minibot toy had many variant recolours in a variety of countries but that is the subject for a different review. The same Minibot toy was reissued during Generation 2 featuring gold chrome.

Once the MP line introduced a smaller scale the doors were open for many characters who might not have been likely to have a release before; Sideswipe, Prowl, Wheeljack and Bumblebee were the first four carbots in the new scale, all fully licensed. This is the first time that VW has licensed a Bumblebee toy; the previous attempt in 2004 for the Binaltech line did not go through.

This review focuses on the second, chronologically, release of the MP mould; the G2 version. Released approximately 7 months after the G1 cartoon version, G2 Bee was met with a lukewarm response, which unfortunately intensified on the next repaint, the Red body version. Unlike G2 Sideswipe before him, who came repainted and with a plethora of other accessories and a new headsculpt, G2 Bee did not feature any remoulding and traded a hefty accessory for a relatively minor one. Let's take the magnifying glass and have a look at this release...

Car mode

G2 Bee is a copper gold repaint of the G1 version, debuting as a Volkswagen Type 1 car. Unlike his contemporaries, this is the first car release that isn't a flashy sports/muscle car.

Every surface of his car frame has been painted in a glossy copper gold tone, which is perfectly consistent throughout the car [opaque plastic parts do not differ to the clear painted plastic in this instance]. That is his primary colour, with black used on his [plastic] wheels and front/rear benders. His side mirror [which needs to be cut from a sprue and plugged in] is also cast in black, as well as his rear license plate. Clear plastic is used for his head and taillights [cast in clear and red respectively], and the roof and back section of the car is a transparent dark blue plastic that is painted over in the same copper gold. A nice tone of silver is used to pick up details---the frame of his front lights, the bonnet handle, the door handles and his hubcaps, which sport the VW logo. His turning indicator lights are also painted in silver with a tiny dab of orange. The windshield wipers and the VW badge on his hood are also painted in the same silver tone. Overall paint apps are clean, with no blemishes or overspray on my copy.

Bumblebee has enough detailing on to make him interesting; the characteristic VW bonnet is replicated faithfully thanks to sharp moulding and a thin layer of paint that brings out the details. His tail lights and front lights stand out and the rear of the vehicle has enough vent lines to break away the goldness of it all. The G1 version had glossy, thick paint all over which took away from the finer mould details. The one thing that detracts from the overall presentation is that his doors [non functional] are made up of multiple panels and the seam lines are very obvious, as is the seam line that breaks up the top of his bonnet. The VW logo is crisp and sharp on his hubcaps and hood.

Bumblebee is a bit on the small side, being marginally close to 11 cm from front to back, 4 cm to the top of his roof and roughly 5 cm at his widest point. He can fit in Prime's trailer just fine and scales just about right with the other cars, if a little bit small.

There are not many gimmicks in this mode. He rolls just fine [plenty of clearance]. No doors or bonnets open. You can store his gun at the bottom and can also clip on the spare tire cover over it--and he still rolls fine! Alternatively, you can unplug the black license plate cover from his back, revealing a peg hole. The license plate can clip on the spare tire cover's underside, and that can clip on the rear of the car to replicate the G1 cartoon look--albeit in a more real-life accurate way.

None of his other accessories come into play in this mode; I will discuss the sticker sheet [which has some relevance] towards the end of the review.

Robot Mode

As a repaint of the G1 version in the MP line, Bumblebee's robot mode strives hard to be accurate to the G1 cartoon version; short, with rather generic-looking limbs, and the car's roof and windows as the chest. In order to achieve this, the MP mould copies over and perfects some of the engineering of the Alternity toy of a few years ago, uses some fake parts and adds a few satisfying touches.

The legs swing down, extend and wrap the front part of the vehicle around them, with the top of the bonnet disappearing into a cover that is off-set by default and swings up to be hidden inside his torso. The back sides of the vehicle swing around and the arms are unfolded from them, with the top part of the rear swinging down and around to conceal all the folder parts of his back and lock it in place via a tab. The end result presents you with limbs that are not obstructed by any kibble and the characteristic body shape with the tire cover on the back. The front wheels tuck under his feet which does away with any accidental rolling around/out of a pose.

Bumblebee is the shortest MP robot mode bar Soundwave's minions, standing a bit below 12 cm in height. This puts him at more or less an accurate cartoon scale when standing by other MP robot modes, but makes him shorter than a typical mainline deluxe! He is actually shorter and less bulky than his 2006 Classics toy!

There's only one new colour introduced; the blue of his eyes/visor [more on this later] and, if you opt to, the red of his faction sticker. The colour segregation has thankfully changed; he is still mostly copper gold, but there is a lot more matte black on his legs, fists and upper arms to balance it out. His face [or mask] is the same silver as his hubcaps His eyes/visor are painted in a baby blue tone. There's a bit more clear plastic visible; since the back section of the car ends up on his back, there is a fake rear window at the top of his pecs area. There is some painted black on the sides of his torso and there are unpainted gold sections surrounding those black sections.

Sculpted detail is relatively simple and mostly obscured from view, as the eyes focus on the gold sections which are mostly vehicle mode parts and shun the moulded detail on the black limbs. The are panel lines and cuts on his front and sides of his upper and lower legs; the back has more mechanical details sculpted in. His shoulders have got some nice lines to take away from the blocky sculpt and his biceps are moulded in the tubed/circular pattern based on the cartoon. The wrists have got some great circular detailing and the fingers are individually sculpted in a fist [non-articulated]. The head is a nice amalgamation of the cartoon and comic design. The helmet is relatively plain in the front, with a lot of layered details on the back. His horns are blunt [test shots showed somewhat thinner ends].

G2 Bee is the only version of the mould that has all headsculpts/face plates available in the package. There are two humanoid faces [based on the cartoon], one smiling and another in a static expression, as well as a toy-accurate visor and faceplate version. The cartoon faces are a bit...chubby, although the face is painted silver which brings out the details far, far better than the gloss white paint that with the G1 version. Removing the faceplate is easier said than done, as you have to slide the front part of his mohawk out while simultaneously prying out two pegs on the backside of his face. The visor face was an Amazon exclusive on the G1 version and just absent on the Red Body version.

G2 Bee has some basic but very nice articulation on his frame. He is surprisingly lithe for a short and kind of stocky guy! His ankles have got an impressive amount of inward tilt and the feet/car parts can swivel slightly back and forth. In addition to that, he has a single knee joint of about 90 degrees. You can cheat and do away with the lock to take advantage of the transformation joint for 180 degrees, but it breaks up the sculpt. The legs swivel at the top of the thigh and have got unrestricted movement on the vertical and horizontal axis. The waist can rotate 360 degrees, and if you unlock some transformation tabs on the back you can take advantage of a slight ab crunch [bending upwards instead of downwards!]. The shoulders are on a ball joint with a generous cut for outward movement, and can swivel downwards slightly on the transformation joint. He has a bicep swivel and roughly 95 degrees of an elbow bend. His wrists/fists can rotate inwards a bit due to the transformation joint. His head can rotate a full 360 and look up and down [downwards movement is ample!] and due to the neck sculpt it looks natural no matter the angle.

The basic figure's accessories end at a G1 cartoon accurate handgun. The gun has some nice sculpted details on the side but is moulded entirely in black [G1 release had parts of the gun in a nice deep blue] so the detail is lost. The gun slots nicely into either fist but had no storage in robot mode. The G1 version also packed in an additional figure, which was a fully transformable and poseable exosuit [possibly Daniel, although the headsculpt is tiny and very basic] that was slightly smaller than Bumblebee. This accessory/figure is absent from this release.

Instead, exclusive to this version is the backpack that Bumblebee used in Dinobot Island to fly around. The backpack can be used with any version of the mould and requires some parts-forming. You have to take the spare tire cover [or license plate] from Bumblebee's back; that's a spare part to the side. Once you plug the backpack in, you then need to move the arms around and attach the two black rubber plastic pieces on the backpack and clip them on the figure's sides and shoulders. The connection is very secure but I'd be wary of stressing those black rubber pieces over and over to fit and detach from the backpack/figure.

The backpack has got nice moulded details on and is cast in black. The entire outer section is painted in silver with the sides picked out in gunmetal gray, and the booster ends left black. Paint apps are great; no detail is washed out. The side pieces are just black rubbery plastic with straps moulded on.

While a nice addition, the backpack is also a bit of a cheat. It's moulded and cut to fit Bumblebee's back, resulting in the boosters only being 2/4ths of an actual booster, they are more like an open cup on the inside, as if the sculpt run out suddenly. The fact that you are left with a spare [bear with me] spare tire cover, and you basically have to assemble the backpack on the figure each time you want it is a let down.

Much like G2 Sideswipe, this figure comes with a G2 Sticker sheet containing two G2 Autobot Emblem stickers, two G1 Emblem stickers, two yellow/white G2 Autobot symbols with the word Autobot next to them, two front license plate stickers and two additional stickers that can be placed on his forearms, spelling "180 Deceps" and "I -heart- Cybetron" based on a comic strip and/or the 1986 movie script.

Those stickers are optional; Bumblebee's flip around torso panel has been remoulded so that both sides are flat, meaning that you can adourn one side with a G1 or G2 sticker, with the smaller logo sticker ending up on his toe.

Overall, this is a very mixed release. From July 2015 to roughly December of that same year he was the cheapest Autobot MP car in terms of retail price, a title he only lost to his red re-release. At the same time, you are not really getting much with this release. The backpack is, as mentioned above, a bad trade off from the Exosuit, essentially as you are trading a fully transformable and articulated figure for a parts forming half-moulded accessory.

At the same time, paint apps are far cleaned on this release, with the paint applied evenly, bringing out the lively details of the sculpt, especially on those face sculpts! Furthermore, he has the rare and elusive Amazon mask as a standard accessory.

There is no mould degradation. No joints are looser [if anything, the opposite holds true!] although that rear bumper will pop off every.Single.Time you touch it.

Overall, everything that was good on the original release is just as good on this one. The transformation scheme is innovative, the base figure is very fun to handle and pose and it looks great as a standalone figure or part of a larger MP collection. If you have the option I would go with the G1 version, the Exosuit is clearly a better accessory and the mask/visor gimmick, while neat, is not that fun to swap around and can lead to breakage if you are not careful. This release is also better than the Red Body release.

Transformation Design: 8. Everything flows together very nicely, with no joint refusing to move. There are multiple locking points on the feet and main body for either mode, which is a perfected step up from the Alternity release [which looks like a prototype for this figure's leg transformation]. The top part of the bonnet sliding in to the main body cavity while the waist flings forward is very smart.
Durability: 9 for the main figure. Only losing a point due to the damn rear bumper popping off all the time. All the joints are pin joints except his shoulders, but he is so light with a very good centre of gravity so it does not look like he'll get looser with time. The backpack is fiddly to put on and take off and the rubber plastic straps worry me a little.
Fun: 7. He can transform, he can be posed...and then you can do the same with the G1 version, and also get another poseable figure with it.
Aesthetics: 9. He -looks- very nice in either mode thanks to the striking gold paint. The black and gold colours compliment each other very nicely, with the silver accents topping off a gorgeous package.
Articulation: 7. Good stability thanks to the massive and articulated legs, has got all the joints it needs with nothing excessive or fancy.
Price/value: 6. He is very cheap for MP standards, but that's for a scout-sized figure with a gun, three plastic DIY backpack pieces, three faces and a sticker sheet. He has gorgeous paint all over him though, but you are paying leader class prices for a tiny thing.
Overall: 6. Regular release would get 7-8, but this one feels like a lighter package. The base figure is still great, but overpriced for its size. The Red Body would get a 5, seeing as it has no additional accessories. Good if you want a G2 shelf theme or a striking Bumblebee in your collection, but you might want to shell out some extra cash and get the regular version for the best value.
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Yup, that's one weekday evening sacrificing politics reading for a review.

If anybody's interested in the review sample for a cheap price PM away, the review solidified that I don't need an extra :lol: :up:
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

PM'd

Oh! And good review! Piqued my curiosity!

And this just in from Pedantry Corner : Bee had an Actionmaster, so totalled 3 versions of his original self in the G1 line (four if you include Goldbug).
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Oh, blacked that one out!

Will edit this once [spoileeeeer] Streak's review is under way tomorrow :up:
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Good review! I agree with most of what you said, though I might have been a bit harsher on the articulation. Though, one thing...
Knightdramon wrote:Overall: 6. Regular release would get 7-8, but this one feels like a lighter package.
You get less, but you paid less too. Is a dumpy little exo-suit figure that's so sloppily-done that you can't even tell who it's supposed to be really worth the extra money?

Though personally I'd have liked it even more if they'd forgotten about the cheap backpack and shaved off another few hundred yen...
Knightdramon wrote:The base figure is still great, but overpriced for its size.
The same holds true for every MP, my friend. Even with the extra polish there's no way that Exhaust or Bluestreak are worth three times what I paid for similarly-sized, similarly-good main-line figures like Springer or Rhinox...

I enjoy the MPs I've got, for the most part (screw you and your broken shoulder, Rodimus!) but the only one that I really felt like I got my money's worth on was my Hasbro Soundwave.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

YAY more interaction on reviews :up:

G2 Bumble is 500 yen less than G1 Bumble [5500 yen vs 6000] before any discounts, shipping etc.

I feel that it's not a good trade off when you consider the extras. The exosuit is not the best thing ever [various bits are coated in white paint that kills all sculpted detail and yes, you can't really tell who it is. I'm going for Daniel ;) ] but it's a similarly sized fully transforming figure.

I hope that with the inevitable Blue Diaclone version they'll opt for a general release [Red release was an exclusive, this higher priced] to see how low the mould can go on price alone.

Having -just- put Streak under the microscope, stripped off any "new toy" high, I do agree with your assessment on price, but that's a bit relative either way.

I genuinely believe that with few exceptions, the MP carbots do not hold a candle, bang for buck, to Binaltechs of a decade ago. At the same time, I feel they are superior to most mainline toys in overall finish, especially given that Takara's voyagers go for pretty much the same prices in retail.

The ones where I thought I really got my money's worth were Magnus, Star Saber and Ironhide. But yes, I do agree, Hasbro's Soundwave is THE bargain package compared to all other releases :up:
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Knightdramon wrote:G2 Bumble is 500 yen less than G1 Bumble [5500 yen vs 6000] before any discounts, shipping etc.

I feel that it's not a good trade off when you consider the extras. The exosuit is not the best thing ever [various bits are coated in white paint that kills all sculpted detail and yes, you can't really tell who it is. I'm going for Daniel ;) ] but it's a similarly sized fully transforming figure.
Really depends on what (if any) value you place on the exo-suit figure, I guess. To me it's just as worthless as the half-assed jetpack in this set, so it doesn't add any value to the set, not even 500 yen's worth. If anything I'd say the G2 set is a better value just for including the faceplate, an actually useful piece of the Bumblebee figure, even before you take into account the lower MSRP.
Knightdramon wrote:I genuinely believe that with few exceptions, the MP carbots do not hold a candle, bang for buck, to Binaltechs of a decade ago. At the same time, I feel they are superior to most mainline toys in overall finish, especially given that Takara's voyagers go for pretty much the same prices in retail.
I don't remember what BTs sold for at the time, since I never imported any. But I'd definitely say the figures are comparable even if the MP cars focus more on the robots and the Alts/BTs were more about the cars. Comparing the Alternators I bought at retail for about the price of a Voyager to what Hasbro is trying to get people to pay for their MP Bluestreak is good for a laugh though, if nothing else.

I do agree that Bumblebee has less value-for-money than the bigger cars. It's just that I don't think the bigger guys are a particularly good value either. With Voyagers selling for around $30 CAD still, I'd say that the MP cars with their nicer finish and licensed alt-modes are probably "worth" about $50 to me. I think the least I've ever paid for one has been over $60 all-in, and these days it's liable to be over $80. That's getting to be a bit much.

And with the "leader"-sized MPs, the price-to-value gap is even wider. I mean, MP Shockwave cost me more than the bigger, more complex Hexatron did. If third-party stuff is cheaper than similar-sized official figures, something's not right.
Knightdramon wrote:The ones where I thought I really got my money's worth were Magnus, Star Saber and Ironhide. But yes, I do agree, Hasbro's Soundwave is THE bargain package compared to all other releases :up:
The funny thing is, if Hasbro had released that exact same set with zero changes two years later the ****ers probably would have tried to charge over $300 for it. I get that they realized that fancy "collector" stuff was a good seller, but they've raised the prices so much that you'd have to think that they're killing the goose that lays the golden eggs. I mean, I hadn't seen an MP in my Toys'R'Us for probably five years, and now they've got probably thirty Bluestreaks that'll never, ever sell because they want $90 or something for them.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I wonder if part of Hasbro's problem is they've decided the MP stuff is all Big leaderly figures like Prime, Rodimus and the various Seekers (although Acid Rain and Sunstorm? Really?) and as big box big ticket items, they've tried to cram the cars into this price point, which is daft as no one's going to spend £60 on Prowl when they can get a Seeker that's twice the size for the same price. That price structure also makes the MP cars cheaper to import from Takara than buying a domestic Hasbro release, and that shouldn't be how it works.

But then, when I look at the Transformers aisle in TRU, I see a brand that doesn't know what consumer base its appealing to, with a bizarre mix of super simplified products sharing space with high-end collectors stuff and regular figures. Its just a mess.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Warcry wrote:Really depends on what (if any) value you place on the exo-suit figure, I guess. To me it's just as worthless as the half-assed jetpack in this set, so it doesn't add any value to the set, not even 500 yen's worth. If anything I'd say the G2 set is a better value just for including the faceplate, an actually useful piece of the Bumblebee figure, even before you take into account the lower MSRP.

I don't remember what BTs sold for at the time, since I never imported any. But I'd definitely say the figures are comparable even if the MP cars focus more on the robots and the Alts/BTs were more about the cars. Comparing the Alternators I bought at retail for about the price of a Voyager to what Hasbro is trying to get people to pay for their MP Bluestreak is good for a laugh though, if nothing else.

I do agree that Bumblebee has less value-for-money than the bigger cars. It's just that I don't think the bigger guys are a particularly good value either. With Voyagers selling for around $30 CAD still, I'd say that the MP cars with their nicer finish and licensed alt-modes are probably "worth" about $50 to me. I think the least I've ever paid for one has been over $60 all-in, and these days it's liable to be over $80. That's getting to be a bit much.

And with the "leader"-sized MPs, the price-to-value gap is even wider. I mean, MP Shockwave cost me more than the bigger, more complex Hexatron did. If third-party stuff is cheaper than similar-sized official figures, something's not right.

The funny thing is, if Hasbro had released that exact same set with zero changes two years later the ****ers probably would have tried to charge over $300 for it. I get that they realized that fancy "collector" stuff was a good seller, but they've raised the prices so much that you'd have to think that they're killing the goose that lays the golden eggs. I mean, I hadn't seen an MP in my Toys'R'Us for probably five years, and now they've got probably thirty Bluestreaks that'll never, ever sell because they want $90 or something for them.
Binaltech figures cost 4980 to 5200 or so yen, with Convoy being 6000 or 6200. I remember because I used to import pretty much every single one of them way back then :lol:

I guess I prefer the Exosuit, which is actually around Magnus and Rodimus [aka the movie guys] than the jetpack. Don't get me wrong, both are ok, both are niche, but the exosuit can stand on its own :lol:

I would not compare Alternators to MP cars [see below], price-wise.

Some MP cars have been more expensive, but they are worth it in terms of the extras/feel of "complete package" they provide.

MP Tracks [who I don't own] comes with a display stand and pretty much every accessory he was associated with in the cartoon, and he's slightly bigger than the rest.

MP Ironhide makes all who came before him feel like ripoffs.

MP Hot Rod is bigger in robot mode and comes with more accessories than most other cars.

Yes, Shockwave seems a bit...light compared to the other larger releases. But at the same time, Magnus, Prime and Saber are pretty good value [especially the later two].
Skyquake87 wrote:I wonder if part of Hasbro's problem is they've decided the MP stuff is all Big leaderly figures like Prime, Rodimus and the various Seekers (although Acid Rain and Sunstorm? Really?) and as big box big ticket items, they've tried to cram the cars into this price point, which is daft as no one's going to spend £60 on Prowl when they can get a Seeker that's twice the size for the same price. That price structure also makes the MP cars cheaper to import from Takara than buying a domestic Hasbro release, and that shouldn't be how it works.
I think Hasbro shot themselves in the foot with this; TRU probably wanted to keep the price point and Hasbro had to play along. The fact that the yen plummeted around the time Prowl and the others came out has not helped much. In their own market, the MP cars are a bit to a lot more expensive than voyagers [case in point, Springer is 5200 yen, just 300 yen cheaper than this review sample], but somehow the same analogy does not translate to the US/UK market.

Alternators were marketed from the get go as the "budget" collector line, being half the price of Binaltechs but losing the fancy packaging, cardboard stands, paint and metal content. The same "translation" has not been done with the MP cars in the western market.

I don't see the MP cars selling so well in their domestic releases, for all the reasons above.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Skyquake87 wrote:I wonder if part of Hasbro's problem is they've decided the MP stuff is all Big leaderly figures like Prime, Rodimus and the various Seekers (although Acid Rain and Sunstorm? Really?)
I might have bought Acid Storm if I'd seen him in store, even though I hate the MP Seeker mold. I guess the fact that I never did meant that I wasn't the only one? But that's solely because his official bio from back in the Universe days reads exactly like what I do every day at work and I think it's funny to own a robotic version of my job description.
Skyquake87 wrote:and as big box big ticket items, they've tried to cram the cars into this price point, which is daft as no one's going to spend £60 on Prowl when they can get a Seeker that's twice the size for the same price. That price structure also makes the MP cars cheaper to import from Takara than buying a domestic Hasbro release, and that shouldn't be how it works.
Agreed about the cars, they don't really seem to have done their homework on that one. If the price they're selling for is legitimately what Hasbro/TRU need to price them at in order to make money, they really shouldn't even bother. There's really no point in waiting to buy something domestically if I'm not saving money to do it.

And the prices for all the other Hasbro MPs have scaled up drastically too over the last couple years. In 2012 we got MP-10 Prime for I think $125? And in 2013 MP Soundwave and co. were around $130. Their "Year of the..." releases in 2014 and 2015 respectively were $150 and $220. Prowl in 2014 was $70 (already too much) and Bluestreak was $90, and the MP seekers were $70 for ages until last year's Starscream jumped to $90 as well. That's almost 40% inflation over two years.

Considering how overpriced the other Platinum stuff is as well, and how poorly it all sells, I think Hasbro has just misjudged their market. The sort of people dedicated enough to drop that kind of cash either already did so three years earlier when Takara put the thing out, or would rather spend in on third-party figures.
Skyquake87 wrote:But then, when I look at the Transformers aisle in TRU, I see a brand that doesn't know what consumer base its appealing to, with a bizarre mix of super simplified products sharing space with high-end collectors stuff and regular figures. Its just a mess.
At least you have the regular figures! Last time I was there they had a mountain of kiddie RiD stuff (and AoE leftovers) along with a mountain of super-expensive Platinum stuff, but not a single Leader, Voyager or Deluxe-class toy (and just one Legend).
Knightdramon wrote:Binaltech figures cost 4980 to 5200 or so yen, with Convoy being 6000 or 6200. I remember because I used to import pretty much every single one of them way back then :lol:
Just out of curiosity, do you still have most of them? I sold off most of my Alts a few years back, though there's a few favourites I'll never get rid of (Smokescreen, Bluestreak, Skids).
Knightdramon wrote:I guess I prefer the Exosuit, which is actually around Magnus and Rodimus [aka the movie guys] than the jetpack. Don't get me wrong, both are ok, both are niche, but the exosuit can stand on its own :lol:
That's where we disagree I guess. I just think the exosuit is a POS.
Knightdramon wrote:MP Tracks [who I don't own] comes with a display stand and pretty much every accessory he was associated with in the cartoon, and he's slightly bigger than the rest.
Even though I'm not the biggest fan of the mold, all the little bits that Tracks comes with go a long way to making him look "premium". He could be even better if he came with the toy head and a bigger set of toy-accurate launchers to slip over the little cartoon ones, but overall if future cars are anything like him I think they're heading in the right direction accessories-wise. Same goes for Ironhide even though I think the toy itself is even uglier than Tracks!
Knightdramon wrote:Yes, Shockwave seems a bit...light compared to the other larger releases. But at the same time, Magnus, Prime and Saber are pretty good value [especially the later two].
I'm probably not being entirely fair to Shockwave, though. He does have a fair number of accessories, it's just that most of them are swappable hands, so they're not as obvious as some others'. Plus he's got working electronics, I think? It's still pretty pricey for what you get, but not quite as crazy as I'd been thinking at first.
Knightdramon wrote:Alternators were marketed from the get go as the "budget" collector line, being half the price of Binaltechs but losing the fancy packaging, cardboard stands, paint and metal content. The same "translation" has not been done with the MP cars in the western market.
Honestly I think that losing the metal is a point in the Alts' favour, but I get where you're coming from.

Hasbro really should be aiming to be the budget option here, though. With the years-long delay between the Japanese and Western releases, there's no good reason to wait for the Hasbro stuff if it'll cost more (or even the same) as Takara's. Especially since they've stopped adding those toy-accurate tweaks to their releases that gave them some variety.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Never saw Acid Storm over here. Just piles of unloved Sunstorms with his poo brown head. Acid Storm did look pretty cool, with his pixelated camo paint job.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Warcry wrote:Agreed about the cars, they don't really seem to have done their homework on that one. If the price they're selling for is legitimately what Hasbro/TRU need to price them at in order to make money, they really shouldn't even bother. There's really no point in waiting to buy something domestically if I'm not saving money to do it.

Considering how overpriced the other Platinum stuff is as well, and how poorly it all sells, I think Hasbro has just misjudged their market. The sort of people dedicated enough to drop that kind of cash either already did so three years earlier when Takara put the thing out, or would rather spend in on third-party figures.

Just out of curiosity, do you still have most of them? I sold off most of my Alts a few years back, though there's a few favourites I'll never get rid of (Smokescreen, Bluestreak, Skids).

Even though I'm not the biggest fan of the mold, all the little bits that Tracks comes with go a long way to making him look "premium". He could be even better if he came with the toy head and a bigger set of toy-accurate launchers to slip over the little cartoon ones, but overall if future cars are anything like him I think they're heading in the right direction accessories-wise. Same goes for Ironhide even though I think the toy itself is even uglier than Tracks!

I'm probably not being entirely fair to Shockwave, though. He does have a fair number of accessories, it's just that most of them are swappable hands, so they're not as obvious as some others'. Plus he's got working electronics, I think? It's still pretty pricey for what you get, but not quite as crazy as I'd been thinking at first.

Hasbro really should be aiming to be the budget option here, though. With the years-long delay between the Japanese and Western releases, there's no good reason to wait for the Hasbro stuff if it'll cost more (or even the same) as Takara's. Especially since they've stopped adding those toy-accurate tweaks to their releases that gave them some variety.
I have two Binaltechs at the moment, but neither is from my "older" collection. I got BT03 Streak as a gift and BTA03 Broadblast as an impulse buy at AA 2014.

I sold off my BT figures when classics was emerging in popularity so I can't complain; I think at one time I had 3 BT-14 Wheeljacks at the same time :lol:

Agree on the other points---the demographic that's attracted to these figures are either too much "into the works" to just shop online for the Takara release 2-3 years ago or have found a viable 3P alternative.

And they don't sell that well [at least in the UK]. I think Sunstorm went on clearance. Prowl did not fare that much better, despite being a more well-known character.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Skyquake87 wrote:Never saw Acid Storm over here. Just piles of unloved Sunstorms with his poo brown head. Acid Storm did look pretty cool, with his pixelated camo paint job.
Don't even recall seeing Sunstorm, to be honest. Between Rodimus and YOTH Optimus I don't think I ever saw any of the MPs in stores, and even with them it was only once or twice. When I bought Hasbro's Soundwave, Prowl and reissued Grimlock, it was from TRU's site. Bluestreak is the first Masterpiece to be easily available at retail around here, because not only are they overcharging but I'm pretty sure they've got three times as many of him as they ever brought in of any MP before.
Knightdramon wrote:And they don't sell that well [at least in the UK]. I think Sunstorm went on clearance. Prowl did not fare that much better, despite being a more well-known character.
Do the MPs follow the same pattern as regular retail releases, where a $70 USD figure goes for around £70? If so I'm not surprised, because if the price of Hasbro MPs here have gotten out of hand then they'd be practically stratospheric in the UK.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Yup, we get suckered with a $1 = £1 exchange rate on Hasbro's stuff. I'm sure there's clever business reasons for it. Probably shipping costs or other spurious made up business reasons.

Like company I work for did with customer bills for 2016/2017...

Last year "we're pleased to announce bills will only rise in line with inflation for the next 5 years and there'll be no increase in charges"

This year - 'hmm...well inflation's at 0.01%, that's not going to generate enough revenue. Any thoughts anyone? Dave?'

'Well, we could always look at what projected inflation could be in 12 months and use that to get a bit of extra dosh out of customers. Mate of mine works for a firm of city analysts who'll come up with any old corproate cock if you send 'em a bung. The beauty of it is, because its all worst-case scenario projections and forecasts, no one can argue it. I'll give him a call. If its good to go, we can use that each year to continue enjoying the 3% year on year rise in charges we've employed for the last 10 years.'

'Nice one, Dave.'

Brilliant.

(This raise seems to have been off-set on the massive PR offensive we went on to promote works in local areas in the vain hope this would stop people ringing in to complain and get a load of confused, garbled nonsense from ill-prepared staff on how we've come up with a 3% inflation figure when its been flat for the last 18 months)
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Proofed!