• transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Media & Fandom

Closed Thread

Old 2016-05-08, 04:16 PM   #21
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK

I don't get why people like Star Trek. It doesn't even have Adama or Starbuck in it.

Old 2016-05-08, 06:57 PM   #22
dura
Banned

Are there any other G1 Omega Supreme fanboys.
Can we push for more prevalence for him in the IDW comics?
Didn't he kill Devastator and Monstructor in the comics, and b-slap Menasor in the cartoon....saving Superion?

Old 2016-05-08, 08:38 PM   #23
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

The TF universe is a bit too vast to get too much prominence on bots from the first couple of years of a 32 year franchise.

Yet at the same time it recycles concepts and character archetypes frequently, especially so in the past 10 years.

For me personally, the G1 Animated movie is among the best animated movies in the 80ies; thanks to bad fan reaction back then Optimus was brought back and Megatron was more or less renamed and given an upgrade 5 minutes after his "death".

Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Old 2016-05-08, 08:44 PM   #24
dura
Banned

Megatron died while being reformatted into Galvatron.

Megatron was a shrewd leader.

Galvatron was a raving lunatic.

This was a downgrade.

Old 2016-05-08, 08:45 PM   #25
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

..and likewise, Beast Wars remains one of the very best Transformers TV shows ever - thanks to the relative freedom the creators had writing it, due to Transformers being largely 'dead' at the time.

The recycled archetypes probably follows on from rebooting the line every few years to tell basically the same story from scratch with a different aesthetic. Gets a bit dull after a while.

There's more to Transformers than Omega Supreme ... I haven't actually touched my Encore version since I bought him. I should get him out at some point so he and Trypticon can have very slow motorised fights with each other.

Hmm... Megatron did have his problems though, I love all that stuff in the late G1 US comic where a different (and less insane) Galvatron shows up and ruminates on how Megatron's instability ate at him like a cancer.

I am sure being full conscious whilst you're stripped to your diodes and rebuilt from within and given God-like powers wouldn't do wonders for your mental well being either, TBH.

Old 2016-05-08, 08:46 PM   #26
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer

Ireland

Don't think its fair to say that Megatrons rename and upgrade was because of bad fan reaction. I don't think artists could draw that fast on the fly

Also the word upgrade implies that Galvatron is the better. Win. Galvatron destroyed Starscream with one shot, Megs couldn't destroy him with 2 seasons of tv. Win x 2. Galvatron has 2 modes to transform into, Megatron has 1. Win x 2 + Combo. Finally, Galvatron made lights and sound, Megatron made clicky, fiddly noises. That's Win x 2 + Combo + Fatality.

*Drops mic. walks off*

Old 2016-05-08, 09:12 PM   #27
dura
Banned

Megatron + Starscream > Galvatron

We lost Megatron and Starscream and got Galvatron in exchange. We did not get back something equal to or greater than what was sacrificed.

So Galvatron was a mistake.

G1 Omega Supreme is on of the best toys and Transformers ever made.

Old 2016-05-08, 09:14 PM   #28
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

My point was that the major "losses" of the movie were neither major nor even losses since both characters returned either on the spot or shortly thereafter.

If we want to talk about a proper G1 Megatron, we can have a chat about the US Marvel comic chap...and even then that's a stretch. I would not call cartoon Megatron a shrewd leader

But as Skyquake has said, the stories and characters are recycled every two-three years anyway.

Beast Wars and Transformers Animated are two good example of shows that built on characters---earlier and later series cannot claim much to that effect.

Old 2016-05-08, 09:24 PM   #29
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK

Guys, just disengage.

Old 2016-05-08, 09:25 PM   #30
dura
Banned

Galvatron spoke about Megatron in the third person in the animated movie. A statue of Megatron was in the Decepticon mausoleum. Galvatron never referred to himself as being Megatron. It's clear that this was a new robot. Even the G1 cartoon said Unicron reformed Megatron into a "new" robot named Galvatron.

Old 2016-05-08, 09:28 PM   #31
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendocon 2.0 View Post
Guys, just disengage.
Sound advice.

Old 2016-05-08, 09:37 PM   #32
dura
Banned

I encourage everyone to find things out for themselves.

Don't let anyone tell you what to do and how to think.

I respect everyone's intelligence. You don't need people who think they're smarter than you and everyone else, that try to "fill you in".

Old 2016-05-08, 09:51 PM   #33
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer

Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendocon 2.0 View Post
Guys, just disengage.
Oh now, where's your sense of fun ��

By the way...

*picks mic back up*

If you add up their tech spec scores, megatron gets a total of 70 out of 80. Galvatron gets a 75.

*drops mic again. Does a little shimmy*

Old 2016-05-08, 10:11 PM   #34
dura
Banned

Megatron combines brute strength, military cunning, ruthlessness and terror. Incredibly powerful and intelligent. Fires nuclear-charged fusion cannon. Can link up interdimensionally to a black hole and draw antimatter from it for use as a weapon. No known weakness.
Strength 10
Intelligence 10
Speed 4
Endurance 8
Rank 10
Courage 9
Firepower 10
Skill 9

Galvatron possesses enough strength to pulverize an Autobot into scrap metal. Unconquerable. Arrogant and compassionless. Plots against his allies, thus weakening his position. In robot mode, he carries a laser that emits chemically-produced, direct-current electricity.
Strength 9.5
Intelligence 8.5
Speed 9
Endurance 10
Rank 9
Courage 9
Firepower 9
Skill 10

Analyze the actual data and decide for yourself.

Old 2016-05-09, 12:41 PM   #35
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer

Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by dura View Post
Megatron combines brute strength, military cunning, ruthlessness and terror. Incredibly powerful and intelligent. Fires nuclear-charged fusion cannon. Can link up interdimensionally to a black hole and draw antimatter from it for use as a weapon. No known weakness.
Strength 10
Intelligence 10
Speed 4
Endurance 8
Rank 10
Courage 9
Firepower 10
Skill 9

Galvatron possesses enough strength to pulverize an Autobot into scrap metal. Unconquerable. Arrogant and compassionless. Plots against his allies, thus weakening his position. In robot mode, he carries a laser that emits chemically-produced, direct-current electricity.
Strength 9.5
Intelligence 8.5
Speed 9
Endurance 10
Rank 9
Courage 9
Firepower 9
Skill 10

Analyze the actual data and decide for yourself.
Yeah.

Beachcomber is better than either Galvatron or Megatron in hindsight.

Old 2016-05-09, 05:44 PM   #36
dura
Banned

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-WFdGMZnfSo
This why Omega Supreme is bad-ass.

Old 2016-05-09, 06:25 PM   #37
Auntie Slag
Satisfaction guaranteed !

Cambridge, UK

My names Auntie Slag but its not really but it is herebecause thats who I pritend to be and want to be in real life unstoppable and strong
Im from Elgnad the greatest city on the world I’m nearly thirteen I like Jetfire but as a sientist he sucks he . should be boss that would be boss

Old 2016-05-09, 06:35 PM   #38
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Heh.

I like the Omega sentinels in Animated. Omega Supreme in Animated had a really good story arc, and I loved Ratchet tending to his friend

I was reading the tech specs for Galvatron and Megatron (i'd never paid much attention to the tech spec read outs) and its interesting to note that Galvatron's ambition and arrogance in his new found power means he has little use of allies. Taking the tech specs at face value, this suggests that this blunts his might (hence the lower scores) and should put him at a slight disadvantage compared to Megatron. As far as the old Marvel comics go, his single-mindedness and belief in his own abilities make him a much more dangerous and powerful enemy than Megatron - he needs no one to further his agendas or achieve his goals (having learnt his lesson from trying to do that during 2006).

I rarely look to the G1 cartoon for anything but dumb fun. I like the voice acting, the soundscape and the sound effects and music, but overall, its a load of silly cops and robbers nonsense that boils everyone down to their most basic character traits. Do love the movie, though. If only because the animation is ten times better than anything the TV show gave us.

Old 2016-05-09, 06:36 PM   #39
dura
Banned

Megatron fires nuclear-charged fusion cannon. Can link up interdimensionally to a black hole and draw antimatter from it for use as a weapon.

Galvatron carries a laser that emits chemically-produced, direct-current electricity.

This looks like a downgrade.

Old 2016-05-09, 06:46 PM   #40
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer

Ireland

Maybe, but we're past that argument. Now its a question of how many megatrons would it take to beat beachcomber. I'm going with 6. Beachcomber could best 6 megatrons. But it would only take 4 galvatrons and a cyclonus.

Closed Thread