• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > COMMUNITY > Other Toys, Cartoons & Comics

Old 2015-07-09, 06:23 PM   #1
Auntie Slag
Satisfaction guaranteed !

Cambridge, UK
Exclamation Freakiest comic you've ever read!

I didn't buy this comic, but I leafed through it in the shop and it really made me nauseous. It was called We3, and its probably due to watching dark British animations like Watership Down and The Plague Dogs as a child.

Seeing these three animals tortured/altered for science and even having their own language, and then the other robot, evil dog things. It didn't sound like it was going to end well for them. I was really intrigued, but totally put off at the same time.

Have you read any comics that were just a step too far and broke your fragile little minds? [/Cartman] Or failing that, certain sequences from comics you do like?

"It's not until you're an adult you appreciate how awesome a dog is. Your dreams start dying, somebody cheats on you, bankers f*** up your pension. Then you come home and that dog's looking at you and he's like, 'Dude, you're awesome!' - Bill Burr

I re-invented my image so many times that I'm in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman. - David Bowie
Auntie Slag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-09, 06:56 PM   #2
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

I don't do apocalypse fiction for much the same reason -- depressing as hell if you actually think about the circumstances. And in many ways Red Dwarf is the same.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-09, 06:56 PM   #3
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Smile

We3's ace. But you may want to read Garth Ennis's "Rover Red Charlie" to cleanse your pallet afterwards.

I will however nominate another Grant Morrison book as perhaps the brain****iest thing I've read for a while, and that's "The Filth".

Brendocon 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-09, 07:44 PM   #4
Cyberstrike nTo
Primus

In the Dead Universe known as Indianapolis

Midnight Nation by JMS and Gray Frank it's probably the best thing JMS has ever written in any media. I put in the same league as Watchmen.

Camelot 3000 by Mike Barr and Brian Bolland It's dated as hell but it's still an amusing read. King Arthur, Merlin, and the most well known Knights of the Round Table get reincarnated in the year 3000 to help save England and the world from alien invaders.

The X-WCW a fun site for fun people.
Cyberstrike nTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-09, 07:45 PM   #5
Auntie Slag

Cambridge, UK
Talking

Holy crap, Rover Red Charlie looks fantastic (checked out a few pages online). I've never wanted a comic so much since Transformers! Many thanks for mentioning it

Old 2015-07-09, 08:13 PM   #6
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

At the other end of the quality spectrum, Eerie and Tales From Crypt themed Fukitor is one of the most purelie and enjoyable things I've ever read. Comes in black polybags to protect the innocent and easily offended.

I love We3. Its probably one of the best things Grant Morrison's ever written.

Charles Burns' Black Hole and X'd Out are great, taking familar things and turning them into quite disturbing things.

Recently re-read Young Liars by David Lapham. I like his stuff, and his characters are great - probably the most true to life comic characters I've read, as they're all total sh*tbags with no redeeming features, but you end up rooting for them anyway. Its kind of the comic equivalent of having that friend everyone has that's a total knob, but they're a mate, so what are you going to do?

I don't know that anything I've read has freaked me out, so much as resonated with me, even if it is totally disgusting.

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-09, 11:08 PM   #7
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Slag View Post
Holy crap, Rover Red Charlie looks fantastic (checked out a few pages online). I've never wanted a comic so much since Transformers! Many thanks for mentioning it
My absolute pleasure! It was my favourite mini series of last year and it doesn't even have a ****ing Wikipedia article about it, so it's one of my missions to mention it at every viable opportunity. Deserves all the attention it can get.

Brendocon 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-10, 06:45 PM   #8
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

The vast majority of "Crossed", by Garth Enis.

Before it became a regular gorefest, the original series plus a few Badlands stories are quite disturbing.

Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Knightdramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-31, 04:46 PM   #9
Auntie Slag

Cambridge, UK
Smile Watership Down meets Robocop.

I bought We3 yesterday. Its only three issues long. I feared for them all the way through the story. Now I'm really glad to have made it to the end after so many years of putting it off.

Interesting the bloke at the shop counter said they're working on a movie version of this book. I think he said first it was intended as a live action, but now they're going for something animated. Seems like that was an idea back in 2008, but then the film company (New Line), were absorbed into another, and since then it appears to be in limbo.

Here's an interesting article about it from 2015.

"It's not until you're an adult you appreciate how awesome a dog is. Your dreams start dying, somebody cheats on you, bankers f*** up your pension. Then you come home and that dog's looking at you and he's like, 'Dude, you're awesome!' - Bill Burr

I re-invented my image so many times that I'm in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman. - David Bowie
Old 2016-08-01, 10:28 PM   #10
Tetsuro
One with the Matrix

Suomi Finland Perkele

There was this comic book I had as a kid that had a guy that looked like an older version of Logan as a Cryptkeeper-type storyteller, and it was a horror anthology with a bunch of short stories, some of them were creepy, like this Indian Wars-era story about a soldier who takes refuge in the house of an insane woman, or one called "New Toys" (IIRC) that was like a creepier version of Toy Story where the titular toys were portrayed as giant centipedes for some reason - but then there were also bonkers stories like CIA fooling Santa Claus into bringing them the head of Idi Amin.

Tetsuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-24, 07:56 PM   #11
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Having just read the TPB of Black Mask's Godkiller, this is definitely an odd and interesting read. The artwork is by turns murky, peculiar and horrific. Not sure quite what I made of this, but its certainly left an impression.

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-23, 07:10 PM   #12
StoneCold Skywarp
Best Served Chilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendocon 2.0 View Post
I will however nominate another Grant Morrison book as perhaps the brain****iest thing I've read for a while, and that's "The Filth".
I hate thread necromancy as much as the next person but I've just recently read The Filth and will confirm that my brain oozed out of my ears and nose simultaneously upon completion.

Twitter - @stncldskywarp PS4 - StoneColdSkywarp
StoneCold Skywarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-08, 07:37 PM   #13
starlord
Triple Changer

I thought a lot of Disney adventures comics and the Disney ones were better weird.

A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest of decepticons.
starlord is offline   Reply With Quote