Please feel free to log in or register.

• transformers toys
  • transformers comics
  • transformers cartoon
  • transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Website Stuff

View Poll Results: Would you pay to get Premium Access?
Yes 36 40.91%
No 52 59.09%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2002-06-20, 01:32 PM   #21
Zim Poonchy

Ohio

The only reason why I wouldn't pay is because I never have money. And if I did, I still wouldn't, not because I'm mean, just because I really don't think it's worth it. I would pay for ya if I had a lot of money though, because then, I would have money to do other stuff while paying you guys...

In other words (unless I win the lottery, by some slim chance), no, I wouldn't pay.

[marquee]The Strokes: Best band on the fuggin' planet![/marquee]
http://Poonchy.2ya.com
Zim Poonchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-06-20, 01:55 PM   #22
Cyberstrike nTo
Primus

In the Dead Universe known as Indianapolis

To put it simpliy:
My answer is no I will not pay to use a MB no matter how much I like it. I can't affroid it. My money is streched right now I might lose my earthlink account.

If you do something like create a free version or a members only
section simlar to" After Dark @ The Enegon Pub" at Seibertron.com or charge for the downloads

The X-WCW a fun site for fun people.
Cyberstrike nTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-06-20, 01:59 PM   #23
Bombshell
thinks puppet Angel David Boreanaz is dreamy...

...especially when he was kicking Spike's ass. ;)

I wouldn't like it if you started charging for MB use. Otherwise, it would seem ok to me, as I got everything that I could want a long time ago.

Bombshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-06-20, 01:59 PM   #24
Powermaster Prime
Cyberstrike's stunningly blatant alt ID

parts unknown

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyberstrike nTo
To put it simpliy:
My answer is no I will not pay to use a MB no matter how much I like it. I can't affroid it. My money is streched right now I might lose my earthlink account.

If you do something like create a free version or a members only
section simlar to" After Dark @ The Enegon Pub" at Seibertron.com or charge for the downloads

Same here.

Powermaster Prime rulez!
Powermaster Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-06-20, 02:44 PM   #25
Redstreak
Banned

Motown

I think you may get stuck with dropping the eps servers, and here's why:

People may say yeah they'll pay now, but if it comes to that, it will be an entirely different story. That's not a shot against anybody as much as it is a point that people don't always follow through. I could say yes I'd be willing to pay for it, but then if it came to that, I might say 'maybe later' or I might have bills to the point where I couldn't afford it, then I'd forget about it, I've done it before...

If you have to charge, go for it. I know you don't want to, but this site generates enough traffic to where you would get some of your costs back, regardless of how little. The first year would probably generate the most; and there would definitely be a drop-off going to the second year, because people will make a point to get the eps as quickly as they can so that they don't have to renew.

Would I pay myself? Honestly, I don't know. But then, I don't use the episode DL servers anyway; I'm a board-a-holic who drops by the main site every couple weeks or so to read stuff. I have neither the bandwidth or HD space to DL eps.

But good luck with whatever decision you make.

Red

Redstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-06-20, 03:02 PM   #26
The Plant

BOONEdocks of oblivion

Savannahtron, there is a PayPal donate button on about every page of the episode download section.

As for the idea of making increased quality episodes availiable to subscribers, I can't really do that because I can barely download the regular quality episodes with my 53kb/s connection. Increased quality means making dl time per episode days possibly.

I would not pay for a board if it started costing money because there wouldn't be many people left, that would definitely scare away all of the newbies and most everyone else. Most of the board members have already dl'ed all of the episodes they want, so why make them pay for the episodes' upkeep? They could just go to The Axalon or Cybertron.com or Transfans and go to their message board for free.

The best I idea IMO is to have availiable 5 or so episodes (maybe half a season) of each series up per month to everyone, but for those who would like to pay (oh I don't know $5 - $10) they could have access to all eps for a month to dl.

I would keep the whole episode downloads you have now, instead of the parts of episodes we used to have to dl.
I again must reiterate that improving quality is probably not the way to go because you have to take into acount that lots (1/2?) the people on the net run about 56kb/s. They would not be able to download them even if they payed for them.

IMO, kill the option to dl from your servers at the Direct Connect hub. That should greatly decrease the load. Plus it'll force those who are serious about dling episodes to visit the site, therefore more visters, more hits, and more money from banners (guessing).

Brendan, I can't believe you've put up with that high price per month without telling us for this long. You have no idea how much I myself appreciate you making these episodes availiable. This seems to be the only website that offers an array of downloadable episodes. The only one I found after extensive searching anyway. I think the current PayPal donate buttons are a good idea, I'd keep them no matter what. Have they helped?
I'll put in whatever money i have on hand at the end of the month into that donate option. It's about time I give something back.

GL

Last edited by The Plant; 2002-06-21 at 10:43 PM.
The Plant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-06-20, 04:47 PM   #27
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Quote:
Originally posted by TFArchive
The cost of the non-eps server is quite reasonable, and would be fully paid for if I dumped the eps server. That might be the best option down the road. I will have to decide.

I'm just trying to think of a way to keep the episodes while not losing $200/month anymore.
This is about the only place which offers ep downloads anymore, isn't it? Everyone else got hammered on bandwidth and called it a day...meaning more people heading for here, and even more with the G1 revival.

With the availability of broadband growing, peer-to-peer file exchange can take the strain far more practically (and it was never really feasible to do ep downloads on a regular modem anyway).

Might I suggest the creation of an episode exchange forum? This could cover both on-line swaps, and also trade of episodes on CD-R (which most of the board regulars have by now). With early warning of any rogue traders via the forum, and maintaining it exclusively for episode transactions, this help prevent anyone getting ripped off and still enable them to get at eps (probably vastly quicker than just downloading ever could). Those who wanted additional security could run Buy-It-Now eBay auctions, possibly. The supervisors in the DC hub have already expressed interest in such a forum and modding it, and I'm sure there are other trustworthy people who would keep an eye.

I think it's time to open up to the possibilities of board members trading between themselves directly, especially since it's been going on discreetly for the last two years in any case...

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-06-20, 05:30 PM   #28
Dare

UK

Quote:
Originally posted by Stuart Denyer
Might I suggest the creation of an episode exchange forum? This could cover both on-line swaps, and also trade of episodes on CD-R (which most of the board regulars have by now). With early warning of any rogue traders via the forum, and maintaining it exclusively for episode transactions, this help prevent anyone getting ripped off and still enable them to get at eps (probably vastly quicker than just downloading ever could). Those who wanted additional security could run Buy-It-Now eBay auctions, possibly. The supervisors in the DC hub have already expressed interest in such a forum and modding it, and I'm sure there are other trustworthy people who would keep an eye.
yep, that seems more logical. time for a new forum methinks. saves on d/l time, a membership fee and tfarchive's $200. winners all round.

"i agree... with nobody... argh"
Dare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-06-20, 08:01 PM   #29
Bloke

Default Quite simply no

Right I know many of you will probably launch into me but i haven't got the means to pay and i really want the episodes. I don't really contribute to the board, and to be honest i only visit to get the episodes.
Thats pretty greedy and nasty but its the truth. Perhaps if it wasn't too expensive i could pay, but i haven't got a credit card so that makes it hard for me to pay online.
I really hope u don't start charging cause its hard to find eps to download.

Ironhide, a hero to the end
Bloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-06-20, 10:20 PM   #30
Alu

Interesting how alot say if they would pay for the message board or not, while that's not the question for asfar as i see it.
It is paying for the episode and comic downloads, since that is what is costing the big $$$$.

As for me...
If the BW/BM/jap episodes would come up in a nicer format then RM, then it would be worth something

Alu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-06-20, 10:29 PM   #31
Cyclone Prime

Iacon, Cybertron

As for me...

I doubt I'd pay...

I am a transfan and everything...
but I'm not willing to investing any money in it, really... it's my choice.

"To lead the Autobots and the Decepticons together is my destiny!"
-Cyclone Prime
Cyclone Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-06-21, 12:49 AM   #32
Computron
Welsh & Proud

Cardiff, Wales

Just an idea but what about a small payment to remove all ads from the message board for registered users. Say $1-2 a month and for that they get no pop ups/unders/banners etc....

I would certainly pay for that but as I'm only on a crappy modem and have all eps/comics anyway I couldn't justify paying for a premium service just for them

--Compy

I support a ban on powerposting
Computron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-06-21, 02:14 PM   #33
TigerHawk1

I'd pay $50 per year if the premium site was Japanese episodes only. Since they've never aired in this country, they dont have US copyright laws and you should be able to charge people to see them (i think.)

I'm not sure about paying for the message board. This is really the first time i've used it and i'm not sure if i'll ever use it again. (I may have nothing important to say.)

You might want to think about getting rid of a few episodes or only doing one series at a time. Store the others somewhere, like on a CD, and only upload those when it's time to switch the episodes. (Of course, I have no idea how you guys do i no, so....)

Bottom Line, Yeah! I'd pay, but only for access to the Japanese Episodes.

TigerHawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-06-21, 06:13 PM   #34
Lemming

Colorado

I think the people who come to this site come for free stuff. Making them pay only drives them away. As for me, I've gotten everything a while ago, so I wouldn't pay for eps. If the site started charging for the message board, I'd leave. There are more than a few other message boards out there.

I've been at this site about 2 years and I had no clue you got a refferal bonus for the video's. I thought they were there for people on 56k.

I think it would be a good idea to pull your servers out form your hub. Its fairly well istablished, so I don't think there will be any problems. I also think if you put up fewer episodes the cost would also come down.

I think the best way for you to make money would be to open your own online store, and sell comics aand other things. However, that might be too much of a headache to do.

Lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-06-21, 08:56 PM   #35
Starscreamsghost
Banned

Hmmmm....now, keep in mind I know very little about how downloads from this site work, since I never ever use them, but...

What's keeping us from registering a series of small free accounts at places like FreeServers.com, then uploading one or two episodes to each account, then hotlinking from the Archive straight into the download page of those independent sites? Or does that not work?

Starscreamsghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-06-21, 09:01 PM   #36
Unicron
Time for plan bee-weeoop

For all those people bitching about having to pay for using the board: If you'll read what Mr. Archive said at the beginning of the thread, there was absolutely no mention of the Message Board as to whether it would be public access or premium members only. So quit complaining until he says where the board would be

Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-06-21, 09:53 PM   #37
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Quote:
Originally posted by Starscreamsghost
What's keeping us from registering a series of small free accounts at places like FreeServers.com, then uploading one or two episodes to each account, then hotlinking from the Archive straight into the download page of those independent sites? Or does that not work?
Nothing, but there are usually filesize limits, and there will definitely be bandwidth limits. Plus many of them check large files for suspect material. I've been there, done that...never lasts long, and it's hassle re-uploading everything so frequently...

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-06-21, 10:58 PM   #38
The Plant

BOONEdocks of oblivion

Quote:
Originally posted by TigerHawk1
(I may have nothing important to say.)
You haven't been to the General Disscusions forum, have you?

Quote:
Originally posted by Lemming
I think it would be a good idea to pull your servers out form your hub. Its fairly well istablished, so I don't think there will be any problems. I also think if you put up fewer episodes the cost would also come down.
Good, I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks so.

The Plant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-06-22, 12:31 AM   #39
RID Scourge
Lurking

In ur newz forum. Reading ur newz!
Default I'm not really here, but I had time to stop by . . .

I would say to dump the eps, and on the ep page, you can put directions to connecting to the Direct Connect hub.

When I get back to my dorm at school, I'll be sharing through that again (quite possibly through Kazaa as well, if I can't find a better file sharing program, that allows me to search without finding a hub. I need a program that is well-used, but doesn't mess with my computer like Kazaa does. It always manages to make my computer freeze, but I'm ranting again).

Basically, I don't think you should have to shell out the extra cash when it's apparent that most of the people that frequent this place all ready have the episodes, and are more than willing to share them at our Direct Connect Hub. If people want the episodes/comic scans, then they can get them off of us through that hub.

Last edited by RID Scourge; 2002-06-22 at 12:42 AM.
RID Scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-06-22, 01:26 AM   #40
Lemming

Colorado

Quote:
I would say to dump the eps, and on the ep page, you can put directions to connecting to the Direct Connect hub.
Having the episodes on the web page is what seperates this site from all the other transfan websites. It is also part of what makes this site the best site also.

Lemming is offline   Reply With Quote