Please feel free to log in or register.

• transformers toys
  • transformers comics
  • transformers cartoon
  • transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Website Stuff

View Poll Results: Would you pay to get Premium Access?
Yes 36 40.91%
No 52 59.09%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2002-06-22, 01:42 AM   #41
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Quote:
Originally posted by Lemming
Having the episodes on the web page is what seperates this site from all the other transfan websites.
It's hardly the only unique content, and blank CDs are dirt cheap these days...

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-06-22, 05:42 AM   #42
yakko
Micromaster

Memphis, TN, US

I believe charging for episodes moving from that gray area that we're in now into one that could get you in a lot of trouble. Episodes encoded from free TV being downloaded for free I think is perfectly legal. Charging for that without the copyright holders and the people that did the encoding work being compensated isn't. At least IMHO. If someone was selling the Robots in Disguise episodes I took entire Saturdays to encode and share and I found out about it I'd be severely pissed and would stop sharing files I encoded.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-06-22, 01:12 PM   #43
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

I don't think having them for download is legal... but technically neither is having a Transformers website or comic scans unless you've contacted all the respective copyright owners for permission... it's just no-one clamps down on it... sadly, we might see a bit of this in the future as the value of the comics and episodes in lieu of the success of the respective TPBs and DVDs... Hasbro or whoever are unlikely to clamp down on TF sites in general, as they realise the value of free advertising, though.

BTW, I believe Brendan does most, if not all, of his own encoding. That said, permission for using someone else's encodings is something you'd only have to check for goodwill - I believe that encoding counts as illegal duplication... it's similar to scanning a comic - it'd be good courtesy to credit the guy who did it, but at any higher level, whoever did it wouldn't have a leg to stand on, as they have no more claim to the actual content than anyone else but the copyright holders

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-06-22, 03:34 PM   #44
Felafel

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

I would pay for the premium access, but as it is it costs me $25 US per 50 megs of download.

I can only just afford the episodes I want, let alone a membership to get them.

Felafel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-06-22, 07:57 PM   #45
x-brawn

Maplewood, MN

I would say that if you put fewer epis on line that would be better. I have tried useing that Direct Connect Hub but I can never get it to work, plus that program is for PC's only and as most of my computers are Macintosh this is the best place for me to get these epis. I am currently downloading them because I got burned on an ebay sale that said "all 98 in G1 great quality" now that I have watched them only about half are G1 the rest are G2 with that stupid cube and the quality is like S**t some are even upside down. I would pay for the downloads cause I like the way you have them set up or I would pay for a cd copy of the ones you have. I think that this is one of the best sites for the messages I check every day. I think you should do what is best and we should all thank you for the time and money you have put in to this site, it is one of the best. I would be willing to help in any way that I can and I will stand with what ever will happen to this site as should every one else

Your starting to become a burr under my saddle!

Stuff I have for sale and trade
x-brawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-06-22, 09:51 PM   #46
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

I already have all of the G1 cartoon eps, I can get BW/BM/Jap eps elsewhere, I own all the US comics and I'm not interested in pics from G1 cartoons so you can guess where I stand on this issue, If you expanded your content to have a bunch of information on all the other series and toylines then I might consider it but only as long as it took to get that info. Money is tight for me and there are better things to spend it on. My only concern is the MB. I love it here, really, but I've never been to any of the other sites MBs and I might like it there too. Like that other guy said, "If I won the Lottery..." and if I did I'd be right there with a couple grand to help ya out, but as it is I'm poor, and I need to eat more than I need TFArchive.com access.

How much does your site depend on the episode d/ls? I mean could it survive without them? The message board has to account for a pretty large amount of the traffic your site gets, right? I say cut back on the episode D/Ls if that's what so expensive.

1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you

Last edited by Hound; 2002-06-22 at 09:58 PM.
Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-06-23, 01:13 AM   #47
Savannahtron
Micromaster Gestalt

Savannah, GA

Quote:
Originally posted by The Plant
Savannahtron, there is a PayPal donate button on about every page of the episode download section.

GL
See my point exactly, I have never even used any other section of this site except the message board, and the Direct Connect just leaves me hanging most of the time.

Savannahtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-06-23, 05:14 AM   #48
Plasmodium
Groovy

Canada

Honestly, I would not pay the monthly/yearly fee due to the fact that I dont frequent the site anymore, I only visit the Message Board. I already have all the episodes, and the comics (minus the UK ones, but I can get those elsewhere, for free). However the fee seems small enough, and some other people have mentioned good ideas to reduce costs for the servers, such as reducing the amount of episodes that are available for download (you can get rid of Beast Machines, no one likes that series anyway ). Since DVD's are coming out I would assume a vast amount of people would purchase those and wouldnt have a need for the site, and if you go pay, most will vanish into thin air only to hunt down different sources, you never mentioned anything about the board becoming pay, thats good, because I'm sure this place would go dead, I would surely be gone. So basically you have to cut down the availability of the episodes.

Plasmodium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-06-23, 11:29 AM   #49
Tankor

Sydney, NSW, Australia
Default Pass the dutchie..

I registered a while ago though for the most part I've only visited the board/site recently. Even then it was just to visit the message boards. Yet whilst that is the case, I've definately had my ears prick up when hearing some of you talk about some of the japanese episodes. On that note, I feel that would be the only thing I would be interested in paying for, and only then it would be very unlikely.

Reasons? Well other than being pov at the moment, I guess my interest just isn't that high that it would justify me paying for a premium area. Transformers isn't my only interest and if more than, say two, sites I frequented were to go premium I'd quickly lose interest as I wouldn't be able to support more than one (One site that I visit a few times daily has gone premium already).Yes, even for just $25US a year....

I am however, a big fan of the message boards and the diverse opinions on them...

Tankor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-06-23, 03:13 PM   #50
dubhthach

Galway, Ireland
Cool server mirroring

Well i've got access to accounts on university servers here in Galway including the computer soceity one. Currently i've got Season1 and some of Season2 in a my web folder. I wouldn't have any problems keeping these available apart from fact that the university which is got a 26mb/s connection to the net would probaly grind to a halt lol

"There is no greater sorrow then to remember times of hapiness when miserable" - Dante "The Inferno"
dubhthach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-06-23, 03:15 PM   #51
dubhthach

Galway, Ireland
Default link

Eps. link

I'll have the directory publicaly accessable for the next couple days

"There is no greater sorrow then to remember times of hapiness when miserable" - Dante "The Inferno"
dubhthach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-06-23, 08:44 PM   #52
Galvatron91
Has anger management issues

Keeping the world safe from crappy posts

I don't use the downloads, but to help the big man out, hell yeah I would pay for it. Especially since someday i just may start to download.

Galvatron91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-06-24, 02:04 PM   #53
Starscreamer

Georgia!

Well I understand the problem but no I wouldnt pay I would just go elsewhere

Starscreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-06-24, 03:41 PM   #54
ThunderCracker84

though I already got all the original G1 eps. I could uses the headmasters, masterforce, and victory eps. So in other words, Hell Yes I would. Not only to help myself, but also to help Da Man Brenden Reilly, who has given us all the great divx eps out on the net, and also provided us w/ a quality message board.

those of you who are posters here and wouldn't pay should just leave right now, you unloyal bastards.

Old 2002-06-24, 04:03 PM   #55
Ravage
Primus

In the depths of blackest Hell. Or just Vermont

But here's the think. I use Kaazaa etc so I am not taking up his bandwidth on the sever Why should I need to play to dl something that (no offense to TFARCHIVE at all here ). But I get a nice steady 30-90k clip on my broadband connection now so why pay more

I really use this site for the message board and the interstling people/functions of it.

Ravage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-06-24, 10:10 PM   #56
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

Basically, as i have everything I want really, I'd have no reason to pay, but if I could spare the money I would

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-06-26, 11:49 AM   #57
Dare

UK

it's not really disloyal, it's realistic. i say close the downloads, and rely on the hub. if people are against that then there is always cds. people would go elsewhere if there was just a pay option but the community is so well established that i'd be surprised. i only got a chance to download a few eps before i started to have internet problems which is a shame because i just got it fixed. but i still say close the download section, there, that's loyalty for you thundercracker.

"i agree... with nobody... argh"
Dare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-06-26, 03:01 PM   #58
ThunderCracker84

no its not dare

Old 2002-06-26, 09:04 PM   #59
Optimus Prime 88

Having tea with your parents

Perhaps a reservation fee for daily eps?

Like if you get a time share by buying maybe a 5-hour reservation for maybe five US dollars. And twenty dollars for all-day access to the downloads.

If ya don't pay ya get server problems!

Though I know enough little tricks to get the downloads without paying or failing.

Sorry though I wouldn't be able to afford to pay ya.

"Yeah! When ya got it: use it!"
-Ironhide [The Ultimate Doom Part 2(G1)]
Optimus Prime 88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-06-26, 09:38 PM   #60
Dare

UK

well, the fact that i cannot pay and haven't got them all. it's not disloyal to be unable to make money appear out of the air, but i think it is to opt to sacrafice any eps i could get for the sake of the archive saving money.

"i agree... with nobody... argh"
Dare is offline   Reply With Quote