War Within is out, go get it!!! (Spoilers)

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

Originally posted by Nevermore
Tracks also shows up on page 6. And the second panel of page 6 features a TF's vehicle mode I think I have seen before, but I can't tell who it is at the moment.
An the inscription on the walls of the "chamber of the ancients" reads "Till all are one" just like in the movie, not "until".

When I first saw Tracks on page 6, I thought it must have been another bot that looked like him, because he looks like he walks into the Neutral Building just before Thundercracker and Skywarp destroy it. But it would make more sense if he were part of Bumblebee and Trailbreaker's group that were trying to stop the Neutrals from entering the building.

That vehicle in panel two would look a lot like a sweep if it didn't have those wing looking things on its sides.

In the 'Chamber of the Ancients', before the screen with 'Till' on the screen, there is a screen with what looks like a small 'n' over a large 'U', which means it's saying "Until All Are One". But it doesn't really matter anyway, it's cool either way. :)
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

Minor complaints: It's never mentioned what was the original name of the Autobot who later becomes Optimus Prime. Did Furman try to avoid calling him "Orion Pax"? And if so: Why?

Propably the same reason it´s not mentioned what is the sentient lifeform in the Source/Matrix, leaving it for the reader to fill in (Primus or Vector Sigma) and decide which continuity they want to think of. I suppose Dreamwave and Furman don´t want to upset the cartoon fans too much. You´ve propably seen the "Why is Grimlock in WWI" threads?

Kup also got the "face behind window" design Ironhide uses... And it seems like the "window" serves as some sort of shield.

As does Trailbraker and I´ve come up with three theories so far.
1) It´s a cybertronian design trend.
2) It´s a shield armor for their heads in robot modes.
3) If the designs had been changed more, fans would have started complaining.

Though I think a poster on NTFA board hit the nail in the head. By "palaste":
"Notice, in the first issue of Transformers: The War Within, when the Autobots are leaving Altihex, Tracks, Wheeljack, Kup and Ironhide all have clearly identifiable cockpits (driver cabins) with windshields.
Now consider that these Transformers have never come in contact with non-Transformer life, indeed, they do not understand the concept of non-mechanical living entities. What on Earth, sorry, what on Cybertron do they need cockpits and windshields for, then?
Is this a sign that Furman and Figueroa are unable to free their imagination from our anthropocentric viewpoint?"
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Originally posted by Osku
As does Trailbraker and I´ve come up with three theories so far.
1) It´s a cybertronian design trend.
2) It´s a shield armor for their heads in robot modes.
3) If the designs had been changed more, fans would have started complaining.

I didn't mean that as a complaint... I only now realized that it might appear that way, though.
Now consider that these Transformers have never come in contact with non-Transformer life, indeed, they do not understand the concept of non-mechanical living entities.

Is this actually supported in the book? :rolleyes:

- Torsten
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Blacksword
Protoform

Post by Blacksword »

In both the comics and the series it is indicated. The main thing being Telatran's mess up with not identifying organics a life. However that can be put down to a little crash damage. In the comics though all tehTF's seem rather suprised by organic life. The early US issues are quite explicit about it.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Yeah, but later comics seem to contradict it. Beginning with all the new Transformers travelling to Earth and no-one being surprised by the concept of organic life anymore... Also, Autobots in "Headmasters" #1 definitely leave Cybertron before they learn about the whereabouts of Optimus Prime and the others, yet they can immediately identify the Nebulans as the predominating species on their planet... And so on. :D

- Torsten
Blacksword
Protoform

Post by Blacksword »

True, true. Its one of those shifts in concept the comic had at various points. I think the best way to look at it is that, by hte time Prime and Megatron leave Cybertron 4 million years ago the TF's have had either no contact with organic, humanoid life or its so far in the past that veryone's forgotten it.

Cybertronina had spaceflight capabilities, but they didn't seem to use it at all until they needed it to find more energy (inthe cartoon) or to save the planet (comic). The Tf's seemd pretty isolated.

Going on, at sometime between the departure of the Ark and Nemesis and before Fort MAx leaving there must have been some degree of contact with organic life (though that is shown somewhat by the UK story Deadly Games, we're given no idea how long the 'Cons allowed aliens on Cybertron). Ah the joys of hammering the story into logiacl modes.... :D
epsilon supreme

Post by epsilon supreme »

i think what i have loved more than searching for the little easter eggs- those references, cameos, and little hidden messages- is the characters in this. (A transformers story about robots!!! And they have compelling personalities!! What a concept!!!)
thank goodness for Simon Furman and Don Figueroa
Computron

Post by Computron »

just got it today, I can't add anymore than has already been said, a great comic, can't wait for issue 2 now
I support a ban on powerposting
Hound

Post by Hound »

I wonder what it would take to get the people at Dreamwave to give an explanation as to why the TFs have a cockpit in their Cybertronian vehicle modes.

I've always wondered about that. My thought was that their might be smaller TFs that would need to sit inside but that makes little sense as they would have vehicle modes too. I dunno...
Computron

Post by Computron »

Cockpits would help make a vehicle more aerodynamic, as an open top could lead to air resistance. Also the glass would allow optic sensors to be placed inside for protection whilst still allowing tfs to be able to see out
I support a ban on powerposting
Hound

Post by Hound »

The problem with that explanation is that the vehicle could be just as aerodynamic if it didn't have a cockpit at all. Also optic sensors could be placed anywhere (facing forward, I assume) in vehicle mode also negating the need for a cockpit. The only explanation for having a cockpit in vehicle mode is the transport of a passenger(s). My question is, is their evidence to support the idea that their were any TFs small enough to fit inside these cockpits and if there were wouldn't they be able to transport themselves, having their own vehicle modes for that?

Hound
Luda-Chris
Protoform

Quintessons

Post by Luda-Chris »

Its a long shot but maybe they are going with the Quintisson Origin, they were Organic (Partial) and they would have needed cockpits to sit in.
Cyclonus & Blurr......
Gods among Machines
Bluebee
Protoform

Really fun...

Post by Bluebee »

it was a fun read in my opinion. Art is much nicer then Pat Lee's, actually looks like art meant for comics. Story is pretty cool, was that Skids that got his hand sliced off?
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Yeah, it was. It would have made more sense to have trailbreaker's hand get cut off, and replaced with that force field generating gun that he has.

I also like the fact that he used the term seekers for Skywarp and Thundercracker.
Sonicron
Protoform

Post by Sonicron »

And again I'm f***ed with living in Germany. Do you realize I'll never get these damn comics ??!! ..... and I'm sure there are many more here who have that problem too. sucky. :(

Is there anyone on this board who could put up comic scans or ask Brendan to put some up ? I mean, the comic scan site is staying after all and he might as well put up War Within and Armada in the future, right ??
"I'm not as think as you drunk I am, honesst, ossifer !!"
cosmotron
Protoform

Post by cosmotron »

finally dreamwave has (in my opinion) done a good job on a tf comic. armada and g1 are both disappointments in my opinion, armada more then g1.
in g1, the writers take 5 issues to explain a story they should hv done in 2.
aramda is just as bad,a nd now we have annoying human kids.

but war within was awesome.
it also shows us a young optimus prime, not so comfortable with the mantle of leadership.
this should atleast show all the rodimus prime crtiques that optimus was just as uncomfpottable with teh leadership role in the beginning.
the action, plot was all great.
i hope to see ultra magnus and impactor make appearences as well.
DON'T DO THAT AGAIN!
joempn
Protoform

Post by joempn »

I wonder if the generals of cybertron (strika & obsidian) will make a cameo appearance. What do you guys think?
http://www.joe-shredpage.cjb.net

not a transfromers page!
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Originally posted by Sonicron
And again I'm f***ed with living in Germany. Do you realize I'll never get these damn comics ??!! ..... and I'm sure there are many more here who have that problem too. sucky. :(

Actually, I got TWW #1, at least... As for the rest, we got to wait and see.

- Torsten
Streetwise
Protoform

Post by Streetwise »

Great issue, especially the jokes (till all are one, the maximal sign on page 2 Transformers spelled in Japanese, etc).
I love Furman. A friend of mine calls him "God". I'm not going that far but he is good... And terrific pencils.:D
The matrix is no mere weapon! No simple energy source! It is POWER! Ultimate, unfathomable power! --- Scourge (The burden hardest to bear)
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Originally posted by Hound
The only explanation for having a cockpit in vehicle mode is the transport of a passenger(s). My question is, is their evidence to support the idea that their were any TFs small enough to fit inside these cockpits...
The only thing I can think of is the 'Micromasters'. If you check out the UK comic issues where these guys were introduced, its intimated that both Autobot and Decepticon alike had been beavering away on developing the technology to create small transformers, most probably because of the dwindling fuel supplies on Cybertron. The cockpits in the current Autobots may have been an indication that they were working on such designs for many many years, thinking they could perfect the technology in a short time, when in fact it took them much longer. Modifying the current Autobots to have cockpits able to support these little Transformers was evidently not such a problem, being relatively easy to do.

Fortress Maximus' band of Autobots that travelled to Nebulous had no problem with allowing the Nebulans to co-habit with them as Headmasters and Targetmasters. Although Brainstorm is to be credited with a lot of the tech and information for creating this bonding process, he's also helped ably by Arcana. Perhaps Brainstorm was a number one guy in the preparation of micromaster technology on Cybertron, but his allegiance to Fortess Maximus and peace made him side with Max and flee Cybertron, taking his precious knowledge with him, consequently setting the Micromaster production process on Cybertron back by eons.

The technique perfected on Nebulous would have been incredibly valuable information. Prime and the others were happy to succumb to the Powermaster process, Nebulous had it going on. Finally a planet with the answer to their downsizing process, as well as the ability to create super powered engines and so on.

By the time the Micromaster process on Cybertron was perfected, Emirate Xaaron had other ideas for their use, and if you were to view the Cybertronian based Transformers around THAT time, there were no Autobots or Decepticons with Cockpits.