Generation 1 #9

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
DrSpengler
Protoform

Generation 1 #9

Post by DrSpengler »

Oy, not a good issue. So far the on-going has never totally disappointed me, but this one was just bad.

The love triangle between Hot Rod, Arcee and Springer is back, god dammit. The useless Arcee is whining about how she feels...useless and Springer's bullsh*ting "Shhhh now don't say that honey, you're not entirely useless." All the while Hot Rod is fming like a middle schooler "Arcee was supposed to go with ME to the sockhop-I mean, shuttle launch!" On top of that, it looks like Arcee is a tool of the Quintessons to lure Springer and Hot Rod to their doom or something. Stupid.

And if THAT lovey dovey crap wasn't bad enough, we got more of the Jazz/Marissa crap. Marissa's starts talking about the successes of the last issue but before she can express her feelings to Jazz the other Autobots interrupt her. Jazz let's out a sigh of relief (OMG!1! He is so shy!1! ^__^). The Autobots leave on their ship as Marissa watches, heart-broken.

Good god, let's hope that's the last of that. It's like some fangirl wrote the script.

Meanwhile Bumblebee and Spike ride around trying to let by-gones be by-gones when all of a sudden they stop a chick from getting mugged. Wow, what story-telling. Either that chick is going to become an important character in future issues or that whole part was just filler. Oh, and Spike looks like a cross between Ryu and Fei Long.

The only redeeming part of this issue were the bits with Megatron and Shockwave. Megatron FINALLY comes back and gives Shockwave a much deserved beating. He catches him off guard, not really a fight or anything. Shockwave's troops defect to Megatron, except for Blitzwing, who apparantly gets killed off-panel. Either they're setting up a big "surprise" for him to show up and save the day, or his death was really lame. Sounding off the Predacon's names was kinda cool, and apparantly Megatron has plans to take Earth.

Here's hoping things improve next issue. For the most part, I've had nothing bad to say about the G1 on-going. I've really liked it. But this issue was just plain bad.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Yeah, the Jazz/Marissa thing I was able to overlook in the past two issues because it was kind of ambiguous, but then they had to go and ruin it by making her crave robo-cock. :rant:

The little love-triangle thing wouldn't be so bad if they didn't just plunge right into it instead of giving us some character development...or explain how Transformers reproduce, because if they can't do that, they shouldn't even bring back the female characters. At the very least, they shouldn't be given sexual/romatic feelings if they're supposedly asexual.

Not too fond of Spike suddenly turning into an asian dude and looking/dressing out of character. I'm not even talking about him being different from the original G1 versions, but even DW's Spike character they showed off in the first miniseries. The dialogue during that sequence was horrible. Somehow their Transformer dialogue sounds much more natural than the dialogue they try to assign to the humans in their books.

Megatron's return was nice and it's cool that they're going to be taking the character in a different direction, and I even like the design. Though I do think it's really sh*tty of them to leave so much information in the Summer Special (which I was unable to get, despite having my comic shop special order it).
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

That robot anime shirt Spike was wearing.:wtf:

I dunno if it was based off any anime in particular or if the robot was completely generic, it just seemed out of character. I dunno, generally most grown men with a wife and kid don't wear anime t-shirts. Or, at least, you think that Spike with his current hatred of the giant robots in his life wouldn't be a big fan of the giant robot anime genre.

Over-analysing, I know. I just thought it was stupid. Not as stupid as a blue and white jumpsuit with an Elvis-collar, but still stupid.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

I actually think that's a good point. For one thing, Spike wasn't exactly an urbane kid and he was portrayed as regular Joe Sixpack in the first miniseries. That's also another good point about the giant robot shirt. I knew something was just off with that, but couldn't quite nail what it was exactly. It's out of character anyway you cut it and just another example of the DW crew engaged in self-indulgence. They need to stop jerking off with everything asian and either start understanding western culture or move the whole operation over to the far east since they're hell-bent on screwing around on Earth.

I'm too lazy to look up when the last writer change was, but it started off with a good story arc and was a good action comic and now it's just being brought down under all the same sh*t that made so many people hate them in the first place.
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

I already locked mine away in my footlocker, so I'm not going to dig it up either, but there must've been a writer change. This issue had ten times more "See issue ___" captions than usual.
Bombshell

Post by Bombshell »

You guys make me wonder whether or not I should actually make an effort to get this issue.

Of course, it doesn't really matter. I'll still end up getting it because I'm such a f*cking completist. :(
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Originally posted by DrSpengler
That robot anime shirt Spike was wearing.:wtf:

Anyone got a picture of it? If not, a description?
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

The front (looking all cross-eyed and Ryued)...

...and the back...
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Sir Auros
The front (looking all cross-eyed and Ryued)...
F*cking hell that looks awful... Spike really doesn't work as an otaku...
Ultimate Weapon

Post by Ultimate Weapon »

Who is that suppose to be next to Spike? Carly as a black women?
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Originally posted by Ultimate Weapon

Some chick Spike and Bumblebee randomly rescued from a mugger.
Civ

Post by Civ »

I actually kind of like that look. At least it's far and away better than his oil drilling rig outfit, IMO. The cross-eyed does need to be changed though. I don't mind a mean-looking glare, but a glare that says, "hey look! I can see my nose!" doesn't work really well.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Figueroa still, right? He really can't draw humans... Marissa's eyes for #7-8 were atrocious...
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Ultimate Weapon
Well, it sold comics for Lois Lane...
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

I was confused as to whether or not the girl was supposed to be black, and I noticed they shied away from making the thug black...even though his dialogue was clearly urban. A non-black thug could've gotten away with the urban dialect, but not in a damn biker outfit...
Strafe

Post by Strafe »

This issue was so bad it made me look forward to reading Micromasters #4.

However, upon reading MM 4 I realized the severity of my error and instead resolved to burn both issues equally.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Ah, so my comic shop dropped the ball again and missed yet another book.

I'm not exactly sure why they aren't ordering the books I ask for anymore even though they have me on their computer with all my requested books and had been getting them up until this whole mess with the summer special falling through. Then they stopped getting The Legend of Huma, and haven't ordered back-issues for me or informed me that they can't.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Originally posted by DrSpengler
I dunno if it was based off any anime in particular or if the robot was completely generic, it just seemed out of character. I dunno, generally most grown men with a wife and kid don't wear anime t-shirts. Or, at least, you think that Spike with his current hatred of the giant robots in his life wouldn't be a big fan of the giant robot anime genre.

Come to that, would there be many giant robot anime genre fans of any sort in the DW universe? Just five years ago humanity was involved in a bitter worldwide struggle as they helped the Autobots fight the Decepticons. I mean, how popular would the Godzila films be if a giant lizard really did destroy Tokyo every six months?. Oh wait, all that worldwide struggle stuff was from the first mini, so it probably didn't happen now... :rolleyes:
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Originally posted by inflatable dalek
Come to that, would there be many giant robot anime genre fans of any sort in the DW universe? Just five years ago humanity was involved in a bitter worldwide struggle as they helped the Autobots fight the Decepticons. I mean, how popular would the Godzila films be if a giant lizard really did destroy Tokyo every six months?. Oh wait, all that worldwide struggle stuff was from the first mini, so it probably didn't happen now... :rolleyes:

Heh, funny thing about Godzilla...

If you ever watch Godzilla vs Hedora you see a kid at the beginning playing with a whole mess of Godzilla toys. Godzilla toys show up in a bunch of other films as well.

Isn't that sorta like making an Osama Bin Laden action figure with realistic beard and a collapsing World Trade Center playset?
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

Crap...#9 is out already!?! My local comic book store hasn't even received #8.

I guess I should ask...did War Within #2 come out yet, too?

Damnit...I told them it'd been two months since I'd last picked one up. :mad:
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

"Can't wait for election day,
Wouldn't miss the occupation corporations rule the day." - Pearl Jam, "Undone"