General IDW *NON-SPOILER* discussion

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Chip1123
Protoform

IDW Universe Question

Post by Chip1123 »

Ok- so recently I was made aware of the difference in DW and IDW, as I had picked up both (the IDW reprints of the DW series). Which series are considered in each continuity?

I have picked up the Escalation and Infiltration series, as well as 2 War-Within Series and the book that contains Spotlight Shockwave, Ultra Magnus, Hot Rod, etc.

I also have the Beast Wars Gathering and Hearts of Steel - the TF's are all trains... kinda odd...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
No Reserves, No Retreats, and No Regrets!!!
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

War-Within is one of the Dreamwave series, and thus part of their continuity. Of course, with Dreamwave no longer existing, don't expect more from them.

Infiltration, Escalation, Devastation, and the Spotlights are all part of the main IDW Continuity.

Hearts of Steel is its own mini-series. If you're familiar with DCs Elseworlds stuff or Marvel's What If, that's basically what it is.

As for Beast Wars Gathering, thats a part of the Beast Wars continuity, I guess.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

IDW "G1" Continuity:
- Infiltration
- Stormbringer
- Spotlights (ongoing, one collection available)
- Escalation
- Devastation (ongoing)

- Megatron Origin (not yet collected)

IDW Beast Wars:
- The Gathering
- The Ascending (ongoing)
- Sourcebook (ongoing)

Other stuff:
- Evolutions: Hearts of Steel
- Live Action Movie Prequel
- Live Action Movie Adaptation
- Animated Movie Adaptation

There's also some stuff reprinted from other publishers (Marvel, Marvel UK, Dreamwave).
- Best of UK, Best of Dinobots, Generations, War Within, "Gen One, vol 2" etc

All the stuff that's reprints from another publisher is easy to spot, as it has a blue header to the TPB with "An IDW Production" (or something). Basically, if it's got that, it's not part of their main stuff.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Am I actually being that unclear with the layout?
Chip1123
Protoform

Post by Chip1123 »

never saw that page, sorry. thanks for helping guys!
No Reserves, No Retreats, and No Regrets!!!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I should probably make a token page for the DW TPB reprints, though, since it's IDW that's doing them and pages are there for their Marvel reprints...
Banzaitron
Protoform

trade paper backs

Post by Banzaitron »

I love me some Transformers comics, but I only buy the trade paperbacks (they're easier to take care of and have no ads) does anyone know when the Trade Paperbacks for the Beast Wars source books, Devestation, and any others are coming out?
Ger-ronny-doo ron ron ronny moe!
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Well, the Beast Wars: Ascending and the second volume of Transformers: Spotlights TPBs are scheduled to ship February. Though, take into mind that because this information comes from IDW's solicitation page, the dates are tentative. But I'd imagine that they'll see release around that general ball park anyway. As for the Devastation and Beast Wars: Sourcebook TPBs, since they are both scheduled to end February, my guess would be between March and May, since that seems to be the pattern of TPB releases (that they follow a month or two after the individual issues conclude). That is just a guess, though. There's no confirmation when they will be just yet.
Banzaitron
Protoform

Post by Banzaitron »

thanks zigzagger. Darn the long wait!
Ger-ronny-doo ron ron ronny moe!
adamtrion
Protoform

Q: wasn't IDW supposed to publish a B&W TPB of old Marvel Comics?

Post by adamtrion »

I saw something about it on Amazon a couple of month ago but did hear anything abput it resently. Did IDW cancelled the TPB?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I know it went to the printers. Any delay is likely to be a result of international shipping and customs (i.e. the shipment of books getting to the US after being printed in another country.)

As far as I know the decision was made to print in colour rather than B&W, and a second volume will be out later in the year.

Amazon solicits are required six months in advance, which isn't a good fit with the comics industry. Amazon also don't usually update information when it's made available.
Ravage
Protoform

Q: Megatron Origins and Stormbringer

Post by Ravage »

Picked up the TPB yesturday enjoyed Megatron Origins going to Read Stormbringer 2 sometime but I do rather enjoy the designs for the G1 Transformers in it.

Wish I could find Strombringer 1, are there any other TPBs I should keep an eye out for or amazon?
The bunnies, they give me knowledge it is neat.

The only necessity for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Ravage wrote:Wish I could find Strombringer 1
I think you've got it a bit confused... Stormbringer is the name of the second story.

Currently it's --

Infiltration
Stormbringer
Escalation
Devastation

And the following fit in around those stories --

Spotlights Volume 1
Spotlights Volume 2
Megatron Origin

More info (the box at the top left) -- http://tfarchive.com/comics/idw/
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Ravage wrote:enjoyed Megatron Origins
Get off of my intarwebz.

Spotlight 1 was published between/alongside Stormbringer and Escalation. Spotlight 2 alongside/after Escalation.

Prob best to read SL1 between Storm and Esc, SL2 between Esc and Dev.
Ravage
Protoform

Post by Ravage »

Oh didn't know that :)

Thanks for the updates, either way though I've enjoyed the storylines even if I seem to be in the middle of the line :)
The bunnies, they give me knowledge it is neat.

The only necessity for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Starfield
Protoform

Post by Starfield »

I'm new to buying comic in the comic shop. What does it mean that Spotlight: Arcee is due out on Wednesday? Can I expect it to be in the store a couple of days later?

Thanks!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

In the US, Canada, UK, Australia, etc. Thursday is usually a fairly safe bet. Not sure about distribution in the rest of the world.

Where're you? :)
Starfield
Protoform

Post by Starfield »

Denyer wrote:In the US, Canada, UK, Australia, etc. Thursday is usually a fairly safe bet. Not sure about distribution in the rest of the world.

Where're you? :)
Thanks!

I'm from Michigan
DestronPrime
Protoform

Post by DestronPrime »

Michigan pratically equals Canada in this type of equation so, yeah Thursdays good. Now I've bought comics before, but I usually stick to one-shots and miniseries, so how should I go about buying the IDW series. I know about the barcode thing but there's that compilation for the for Infiltration 0-6, Stormbringer 1-4, Spotlights 1-5, Escalation 1-6. Or I could just buy them all seperately... Which would obviously cost more.

Also can I get the Spotlights, without spoiling too much, because I know they fall into the story fairly prominently but is it that bad?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

The first volume of spotlights is pretty standalone. Several in the second volume tie into Stormbringer and Escalation somewhat. It depends on how much you care about spoilers; they aren't major ones, really, mostly things like who's involved and where they are...

For someone just starting out, I'd suggest borrowing/downloading a bit of stuff to establish whether you like the general vibe -- ideally a mix of Earth and non-Earth stuff -- then getting the big hardback from somewhere such as Amazon that'll give you a respectable discount and free shipping. Gets you caught up on a large chunk of story in a nice package.