So what's your first memory of Transformers, then?

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Aardvark

So what's your first memory of Transformers, then?

Post by Aardvark »

As I distance myself more and more from the franchise, I feel now is a good time to get all nerd-stalgic and stuff, before my interest evaporates completely.

The first thing that springs to mind, is little Aardvark breaking his brother's Scrapper -- I was 4 or 5. I remember this well, as his reaction was far from pleasant. Funnily enough, while my brother was the one who got me into Transformers, he refuses to acknowledge he ever liked it.

The first comic I ever read was "Victory!" in the 1986 annual. It's still one of my favourite Transformers comics -- the artwork is simply gorgeous. :)
RUNAMOK
Protoform

Post by RUNAMOK »

My first transformers memory? Fairly easy, watching the movie on RTL in 1993 or 94, I think, and later the "G2" series on RTL in german and in danish on TV3.

What realy surprised me at that early age was that this tv series actualy had toys too it, altough years passed before i got my first figures. I saw Optimus Prime in a toycatalog and was facinated.

I also remember some children bringing transformers with them to school wile i was in kindergardenclass.

I rember trying to build transformer figures out of LEGO at that time too.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Probably my parent taping the show on Wacaday for me so I didn't have to get up early. Or finding A Nightmare on Elm Street 3 on the end of the pirate copy of the Movie we had.
Sunstreaker2

Post by Sunstreaker2 »

My first memory of TFs was getting a Laser Rod Prime at a yard sale around the age of six. That was may favorite toy for years, until my mom threw it away. I fell out of TFs until around 2006, when I picked up some of the last wave of Cybertron figures(including Metroplex), and I also got most of the Classics(except Cliffjumper, Mirage, Grimlock, and the 2-packs), and now I dread the fact I didn't pick up the Mini-Con set that included Strongarm. As for Movie toys, I have toys of almost all the Game chars. I got into TFs at the end of BW, so sadly I missed out on my favorite BW character, Inferno. I also missed out on RID, Armada, and Energon. To think that, if I had been interested in TFs in 2002, I would have the Armada Street Action Team which I desire so very much.
No longer looking for RID Dreadwind, but I still need Smokejumper. I'm also in need of Mammoth Nemesis Prime's tail piece, as my figure lacks it. Send me a PM.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Woolies car park, Hereford, I think a few days after my 4th birthday (or maybe early January 1986...) - transforming Smokescreen very, very slowly with help from both parents - I distinctly remember my mum reading out the instructions :)

Before that, of course, there was Robo Machine Bug Bite. I just remember thinking that a toy car that did something other than just be a toy car, especially turning into a robot was incredibly great... When you're little the mere concept is excellent stuff, and apparently I spent weeks questioning various relatives and neighbours as to whether their car transformed - I was fairly convinced we had a Matchbox car, and that someone, somewhere must drive around in a Robo Machine.

And yeh, as I move away a bit I find nostalgia plays a bigger role in things. I can sit there and reason all the ways Barricade is a better figure than, say, original Prowl, but guess which one I happily own?
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Watching the first episode of Beast Wars.
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper

And yeh, as I move away a bit I find nostalgia plays a bigger role in things. I can sit there and reason all the ways Barricade is a better figure than, say, original Prowl, but guess which one I happily own?

Nothing wrong with indulging in nostalgia every now and then, as long as you're aware. People who blindly let nostalgia dictate their reasoning tend to be fanatical pricks (From what I've observed, IMO... natch).
martyboy70

Post by martyboy70 »

Watching the G1 cartoon on ITV at my childminders back in the day.
I was thinking about this the other day and I seem to remember the Skyspy looking at more things for alt modes but when I watched MTMTE it scans like a jet for the seekers and a truck for Prime.
Is my memory playing up or is there another episode where this is shown in more detail?
Loss of job. Will sell for food here.
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

I remember my parents would let me rent one movie every Friday night when I was a kid. I rented MTMTE VHS one Friday night, watched it, then oddly enough, it was playing on TV the next Saturday morning. I was hooked ever since. I think I rented every episode from Season 1 on VHS at least 10 times until my parents said I could rent anything accept Transformers. Still managed to get around that eventually though.

Does anybody remember the FHE logo coming up before the episodes on VHS in red, yellow and blue, with terrible music playing in the background? Classic.
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

.).
Sunstreaker2

Post by Sunstreaker2 »

They made Betas of the G1 animated series? I thought they stopped using Beta by then.
No longer looking for RID Dreadwind, but I still need Smokejumper. I'm also in need of Mammoth Nemesis Prime's tail piece, as my figure lacks it. Send me a PM.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

I can remember watching the toon after school every week, maybe every day? I can't remember the frequency of the show. I remember my first figures were mini bots, Bumblebee being on of the first followed by Cliffjumper. I remember when the Dinobots came out I got Slag first of then Grimlock the next week. I remember taking those to show and tell as well. I can remember December of 1986 or 1987..hard time being exact in my mind..anyways I remember finding Megatron in my parents closet and thus I never believed in Santa again after I got it from "Santa" that year. I can rememebr there was usually one big present every year under the tree, and I still remember very well the year I got both Metroplex and Trypticon under the tree!

I can remember being some sort of champion to all the other kids in elementary school for being th only one with complete Gestalts, and not some random made Scramble City style mess of various Gestalt teams. I remember the Pirhanacons being my fav combiner team.

Lets see..I can remember going to see the TF movie in the theater and feeling like a big pussy because I wanted to cry when Prime died, but fear of what my father would think made me hold it in. I can remember not liking the movie toys so much when they came out except for galvatron which I wanted oh so badly...and never got. I can remember sitting around with friends in elementary school at lunch and discussing how great it would be if they would ever make a Unicron toy, and how it would most likely be impossible to do so. I can remember recreating my favorite scene with a large, deep tupperware bowl filled with water, 2 Sharkticons, Hotrod and Kup.

I can remember when the comics became more interesting to me than any cartoon and my Pretender figures and Power Master Prime were the most played with toys...along with Grimlock and a crown from some random toy taped to his head.

I could go on and one for some time..but I'm tired of typing now..maybe later? :)
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

MeGrimlock
Protoform

Post by MeGrimlock »

First Tf related thing I remember: Diaclone toys promoted on some comic book... later came the G1 cartoon and about an half of the Marvel run (the first one I ever read was Spacehikers! and I liked it a lot).
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

I was in first grade in 1984-1985 and remember kids at school bringing in TF's. I watched the cartoon religously Saturday mornings and begged for a transformer for Christmas.

I got one christmas eve 1984, PROWL.

By the Second grade Transformers were treated like currancy at school and everyone was trying to trade.

Still remember the last TF i got in childhood too, NIGHTBEAT for my birthday, May 8th 1988.
Come on and wind me up.
starlord
Protoform

Post by starlord »

The first memory was Starscream trying to become leader of the decepticons.
thunderkraker
Protoform

when i got shockwave

Post by thunderkraker »

Originally posted by another tf fan
I was in first grade in 1984-1985 and remember kids at school bringing in TF's. I watched the cartoon religously Saturday mornings and begged for a transformer for Christmas.

I got one christmas eve 1984, PROWL.

By the Second grade Transformers were treated like currancy at school and everyone was trying to trade.

Still remember the last TF i got in childhood too, NIGHTBEAT for my birthday, May 8th 1988.

i remember when i got shockwave i did'nt knew who he was or what it was all knew it was a transformer an i started watching the cartoon after that ...i was hooked