Donald Glut hates the Michael Bay movie; also admits hating the old cartoon, despite having written for it

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Nevermore

Donald Glut hates the Michael Bay movie; also admits hating the old cartoon, despite having written for it

Post by Nevermore »

http://monsterkidclassichorrorforum.yuk ... tml?page=2

Starts with post 39, continues on next page.
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Gotta love Don Glut, God's gift to people who want to take the piss out of the kids' show. On the one hand, it's fair play for at least admitting he was in it for the money. On the other, he's a talentless cock.

"If the episodes did come out with a semblance of quality, it was mostly by accident."

=D
Angelic Knight

Post by Angelic Knight »

Ugh, what an a-hole. I understand the love of $$$, but writing for a show you don't even care for is beyond lame, just to make a quick buck.
My very, very random personal forums:
www.jameswebsite.net
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Angelic Knight wrote:Ugh, what an a-hole. I understand the love of $$$, but writing for a show you don't even care for is beyond lame, just to make a quick buck.
Newsflash: A lot of people work on stuff they don't particularly like.

For example, I'm fairly certain a prostitute isn't particularly fond of a vast percentage, if not all, of her customers.
Detective Barricade

Post by Detective Barricade »

Wow. He ranks right up there with Sentinel Prime and Wheelie in the "most hated being in existence, fictitious or otherwise" category. I don't care if you hated every moment of working on a kid's cartoon, but saying it out loud, and it happens to be as popular even to this day like The Transformers, you keep your mouth closed about it! Or else you'll not be very well liked from now on.:rant:

EDIT: It's just not good business to say stuff like that. I understand that there's a lot of people who don't like their jobs, but they shouldn't say it to the public. It's just not a good thing to do.
Got a complaint?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Complaints department: making complaints disappear since 2009!
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Detective Barricade wrote:EDIT: It's just not good business to say stuff like that. I understand that there's a lot of people who don't like their jobs, but they shouldn't say it to the public. It's just not a good thing to do.
Why not? It was twenty years ago. He was a staff writer being paid to write a glorified toy commercial, he took little pleasure in doing it, he thought the end product was shit. Two decades later he's said as much. Where's your problem?

Or is this just a typical internet "somebody disagrees with my opinion, so rather than deconstruct it using facts/reasons/scathing humour, I'm just going to call them names" thing?

Yeah. I thought so.

Oh, and this:
I don't care if you hated every moment of working on a kid's cartoon, but saying it out loud, and it happens to be as popular even to this day like The Transformers, you keep your mouth closed about it! Or else you'll not be very well liked from now on
Just precious.

First off, I don't think you can say the original cartoon is as popular today as it was then. For a start, if it were, we'd have reruns of that instead of the new Animated series.

Secondly, if something's popular then nobody's allowed to criticise it? Holy shit. I should burn my stockpile of jokes about Star Trek, Eastenders, James Cameron's Titanic and the Wayans Brothers, yeah? So glad you said.

And I think not being well liked by you is going to cause him a hell of a lot of trouble sleeping tonight. Good job. :up:

Donald Glut's as popular now as he was twenty years ago, if not more so, if you don't like him you can just keep your mouth shut.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Detective Barricade wrote:I understand that there's a lot of people who don't like their jobs
Work-for-hire with small (if any) residuals. And it's not a shocking revelation that most Transformers fiction to date has been formulaic fluff and filler, is it?
Detective Barricade wrote:Or else you'll not be very well liked from now on
He skipped or ignored the script bible he was given, and gave us Dinobots as intelligent as the forms their alt-modes resembled were presumed to be by 1980s paleontologists.

The only big fans of Glut's writing before or after this are likely to be those who hold similar views to "lol ravage looks like a cat so he should act like one i wish he was my kitty and i bet he wouldnt just kill me out of hand because decepticons arent evil really." And I can't see him caring a huge deal -- just as Budiansky (the guy who created most of the characters people get nostalgic over) has repeatedly pointed out the work was primarily a pay-cheque, and one he got increasingly burnt out over.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Denyer wrote:He skipped or ignored the script bible he was given, and gave us Dinobots as intelligent as the forms their alt-modes resembled were presumed to be by 1980s paleontologists.
Well, some of the Wiigiis insist that Glut's stories contain the most direct shoutouts to details from the tech specs... Such as "Slotbuster calls Gunblock a dimwit, and Slotbuster's tech spec mentions that he likes to belittle hos fellow warriors = ZOMG teh reference".
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

The comma in that sentence is a pause.

So occasionally he fought writer's block with direct copying... there's a stunningly original concept.
Civ

Post by Civ »

Well, I can't say I'm surprised. Makes me wonder if any of the writers for the show back then actually liked the product or if they were in shoes similar to Mr. Glut's.

Oh well, at least he gave Trailbreaker his big moment on the show and provided a smidge of continuity with the Dinobots. Ummm...I think those are just about all of the highlights really.

I also have to agree with his points about the 2007 movie except for being unable to follow the action part. There was a lot of sensory overload, which was great while in the theater but afterwards, when you have time to digest everything that's going on, there are a few WTF moments and plotholes.
Thanks, Zeeks! Great job! :up:
Detective Barricade

Shutting up now...

Post by Detective Barricade »

Well, I've given my opinion on the subject, and am proceeding to not go on further about it, to avoid digging the hole I seem to have gotten myself into any deeper...
Got a complaint?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Complaints department: making complaints disappear since 2009!
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Detective Barricade wrote:It's just not good business to say stuff like that. I understand that there's a lot of people who don't like their jobs, but they shouldn't say it to the public. It's just not a good thing to do.
What exactly do you do for a living? Do you love every aspect of it? Do you do it because you like it, or to make money?
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

If he were cashing in on Transformers by doing the conventions or writing current cartoons/comics whilst slagging it off at the same time I'd understand the bile, but as he's moved on (and who knows, may well be retired by now) I don't see much of a double standard.

Though as I always say when it gets mentioned the Dinobots thing should be laind at the door of the script editors/producers. If they'd have wanted the bible followed it would have happened.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Nevermore wrote:Well, some of the Wiigiis insist that Glut's stories contain the most direct shoutouts to details from the tech specs...
See? Told ya.
Angelic Knight

Post by Angelic Knight »

Or is this just a typical internet "somebody disagrees with my opinion, so rather than deconstruct it using facts/reasons/scathing humour, I'm just going to call them names" thing?
I don't understand...People who disagree with me are idiots, because my opinion is always superior...

Oh, wait, you were talking to someone else. My bad.

Anyway, this indeed comes as no surprise to me -- in fact it fits right in as to why the original G1 series was so unfortunately flawed with plot holes and cheap gimmicks. Still, I think it's lame all the same.
What exactly do you do for a living? Do you love every aspect of it? Do you do it because you like it, or to make money?
Er, I'm gonna call your hand on this one. Most of us who went to college with intent on landing a good career are doing something for more than just money...I have always believed strongly that your work should fit in with your passion. Given that television show writers are not the equivalent in vocation of janitorial staff, I'd say they're partly/mostly in it to do something they love.

And even if it's a mere kid's show, it should still be done by people who love what they're doing. Feel free to argue in futility, but note my opinion is infallibly superior. :D
First off, I don't think you can say the original cartoon is as popular today as it was then. For a start, if it were, we'd have reruns of that instead of the new Animated series.
I am just not sure on this one. I would almost be willing to bet it is more popular today than yesteryear simply because of the legacy. Consider how many non-TF fans immediately recognize G1 Soundwave vs. Cybertron Soundwave. On that same note, I have wondered why no one's dong reruns.

Anyway, I stand by my position that Glut sucks because he failed to please me. Such failure is unacceptable. Give me quality G1, dang it!!
www.jameswebsite.net
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Angelic Knight wrote:Given that television show writers are not the equivalent in vocation of janitorial staff, I'd say they're partly/mostly in it to do something they love.
You'll note that Glut hasn't said that about everything he's ever written, just about a couple of shitty kids' shows... Ellis and Bowie have compromised for money at times, and your vague insinutation that anyone who does dislike any work they've done is an unqualified drop-out just makes you sound like a prick. FYI, of course.
And even if it's a mere kid's show, it should still be done by people who love what they're doing.
Yeh, I'm sure in 1984 there were lots of hardcore TF fans in the US cartoon industry just loving it.
Feel free to argue in futility, but note my opinion is infallibly superior. :D
Is being a dickhead just some sort of intraweb schtick you feel necessary, or is it just a natural thing? Either way, knock it off. kplsthnx.
I am just not sure on this one. I would almost be willing to bet it is more popular today than yesteryear simply because of the legacy. Consider how many non-TF fans immediately recognize G1 Soundwave vs. Cybertron Soundwave. On that same note, I have wondered why no one's dong reruns.
Wow, I totally get that. No-one remembers seeing Cybertron Soundwave when they were a kid twenty-odd years ago, do they? I wonder why... What you're actually doing is confusing popularity with longevity there... You see, people aren't reminiscing about seeing Cybertron because Cybertron was only broadcast a year or so ago. Try it in 20 years time for something approaching a balanced judgement. What it is is lots of older people watched cartoons when they were five, wheras when they're 20-odd, only cartoon fans watch cartoons.

Seriously, have you ever met our dear old friend Logic?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Angelic Knight wrote:Given that television show writers are not the equivalent in vocation of janitorial staff, I'd say they're partly/mostly in it to do something they love.
Possibly for the fledgling months of their freelance careers.

"I suspect writing is a bit like ****ing, which is only fun for amateurs. Old whores don't do much giggling." --H.S.T.
Consider how many non-TF fans immediately recognize G1 Soundwave vs. Cybertron Soundwave.
If the character was in the show, the number of kids in the demographic would swing that one.

There's a difference between recognising something, remembering it through a pink haze, etc. and going out and buying it, then suffering through hours of the stuff. Or even being bothered to tape it off cable reruns.

Also, the number of characters with even recognition factor drops off markedly after Prime, Starscream, Megatron, Soundwave, etc. Whereas kids treat knowing characters like baseball cards.
quality G1
Tends to be an oxymoron. Previous fiction (even opening this to 'Transformers' rather than anachronistic marketing labels) mostly holds up well as "in spite of limitations" -- not on its own merit. Like Ravenloft books get classed as "good for a Ravenloft book" rather than "a good horror story".
Angelic Knight

Post by Angelic Knight »

and your vague insinutation that anyone who does dislike any work they've done is an unqualified drop-out just makes you sound like a prick.
Not the intention by any means. That said I'm sure you can get my drift that for the most part when dealing with a job in the realm of television programming folks are doing more than a "just pay the bills" kinda job. Or maybe I'm looking at it with too much faith in the people involved, but that's my uneducated assumption.
Yeh, I'm sure in 1984 there were lots of hardcore TF fans in the US cartoon industry just loving it.
No, definitely not, just stating opinion that even that shouldn't be handled half-heartedly. It is, of course, no denying that.
Is being a dickhead just some sort of intraweb schtick you feel necessary, or is it just a natural thing? Either way, knock it off. kplsthnx.
Sarcastic humor. Arguing over teh internets is nothing I take seriously, but you see folks who talk like that and tragically (pathetically) actually think that way. Alas, the intended affect was lost.

Whether it's a natural thing or not, I'll plead the fifth. :D I shall henceforth curb the sarcasm.
Wow, I totally get that. No-one remembers seeing Cybertron Soundwave when they were a kid twenty-odd years ago, do they? I wonder why... What you're actually doing is confusing popularity with longevity there... You see, people aren't reminiscing about seeing Cybertron because Cybertron was only broadcast a year or so ago. Try it in 20 years time for something approaching a balanced judgement. What it is is lots of older people watched cartoons when they were five, wheras when they're 20-odd, only cartoon fans watch cartoons.
I'll hand ya that, touche.
Seriously, have you ever met our dear old friend Logic?
Yes, but admittedly not exercising it heavily here. Was just giving my off-the-cuff first impression on the matter, given talk about our opinions on a cartoon writer isn't that serious nor intellectual of a topic.

Not sure I understand the minor backlash...Did I come off as that serious? Context is often lost in text. My apologies for any offense taken, was not intentional. All in good fun folks.
www.jameswebsite.net
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I think the thing is, as many fiction writers have put it, a lot of people want to have written rather than to be writers -- it's a very heavily romanticised activity, in ways people don't wax lyrical about, say, sanitation or advertising copy.
Angelic Knight

Post by Angelic Knight »

Interesting insight. That definitely places the situation in question in better context. You want a glorified job writing for Hollywood, you wind up instead penning the words behind a 20-minute toy commercial instead, one gets bitter fast.
www.jameswebsite.net