preds/ decepticon medics

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
starlord
Protoform

preds/ decepticon medics

Post by starlord »

Why don't they have medics to heal their wounded like the autobots?It doesn't make sense since they are suppose to be warriors and yet they don't have medics to heal them.
A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest of decepticons.
Damolisher
Protoform

Post by Damolisher »

Uh, hello? CR Chambers? The Constructicons?
"Right, switch to Red Alert."
"Are you sure, sir? It does mean changing the bulb!"
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Damolisher wrote:CR Chambers? The Constructicons?
None of those are medics. How often are the Constructicons shown to act in a medical capacity anyway? It's not that often, if at all. And as for the former, you've still got to get the casualty to the thing.
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

Cliffjumper wrote:None of those are medics. How often are the Constructicons shown to act in a medical capacity anyway? It's not that often, if at all. And as for the former, you've still got to get the casualty to the thing.
in megatron origins the constructicons are seen patching up decepticon combatants and salvaging parts from the dead ones
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Right. So that's once. It's not their primary function, is it? They're engineers that have to double in the role because there aren't any Decepticon medics.
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

I guess they are pretty much left to fend for themselves. If they can't, then they get scrapped. What do you think happened to all those Seekers that were in MTMTE. There is also the TF:TM example as well. And the Sweep that got shot in the face by Blurr in FFoD.
martyboy70

Post by martyboy70 »

Cliffjumper wrote:Right. So that's once. It's not their primary function, is it? They're engineers that have to double in the role because there aren't any Decepticon medics.
Hooks bio describes him as a Surgical Engineer and he does some repairs at least a couple of times in the G1 cartoon so id say hes the closest they have to a Ratchet.
Loss of job. Will sell for food here.
Damolisher
Protoform

Post by Damolisher »

Exactly. They're as close to medics as the Decepticons have got.
"Right, switch to Red Alert."
"Are you sure, sir? It does mean changing the bulb!"
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Glit is a Decepticon medic. And also set in the G1 continuity believe it or not. So yes, the Decepticons do have medics.
Glit is a Decepticon doctor equipped with hip-mounted multipurpose medical toolboxes and highly precise laser scalpels, but no actual weaponry. Kind but stubborn, he is the best surgeon the Decepticons have. Unusually for his allegiance, he's compassionate enough to treat any wounded robot he comes across, regardless of their faction. It is said that when he appears on a battlefield, neither side will win, because no warriors will die. Needless to say, this has created friction with Megatron, who once ordered Glit's forelegs cut off to punish him for treating a wounded Autobot commander. The protests of his fellow Decepticons succeeded in changing their leader's mind.

Unlike other cassette Transformers, Glit does not transform into an audio tape, but rather a head-cleaning cassette.

Glit likes to get loaded on Energon wine and sing.
martyboy70

Post by martyboy70 »

Thanks Kali I vaguely remembered something about an E-hobby repaint of one of the cassettes being a doctor but I couldnt be bothered looking it up.
Are they strictly canon though?
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

KISS Players is considered canon in Japan's G1 continuity, as well as several others as the storyline ties together several different continuities that previously didn't coexist, such as Car Robots/RID and BWII. So short answer would be yes the character is considered canon in Japan, but probably not outside of Japan. You know how sticky these canonicity conversations can be ;)
martyboy70

Post by martyboy70 »

Oh i do indeed especially since the Multiverse Takara recently published posed more questions than it answered.
I kinda chucked that last bit in as me playing Devils Advocate but I really dont want to see another 10 pager on canonicity(did you just invent a word?)like we have had before.
Tramp would have been all over this like chickenpox on a 2 year old.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Damolisher wrote:Exactly. They're as close to medics as the Decepticons have got.
But they still don't have any dedicated medics.
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Cliffjumper wrote:But they still don't have any dedicated medics.
^This. The Constructicons are not medics. They build stuff. And since Robots can be rebuilt they are basically do repairs. I really doubt that they have the knowledge to rebuild someone correctly (or passable enough) if they are ripped in half.
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Clay

Post by Clay »

I dunno. If they're robots and all, is there a qualitative difference between engineer, medic, and mechanic?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yeh - they aren't robots, they're robotic/mechanical... there are still sparks and whatnot in play (according to continuity, obviously). If they were simple robots, all 'killed' TFs could just be patched up again, and we're generally shown this isn't the case. Like human engineers, there are specialities involved - an engineer might have a better understanding of some of those than Jim Bob McUneducated, but they'll still only be particularly skilled in the areas of engineering that they've trained under.

I'm not denying there are equivalents shown, but the Decepticons certainly lack a dedicated medical team (especially compared to the Autobots, who have four or five at least covering various health-related aspects). The topic's at least worth discussion, though, rather than a vague shoot-down. The information contained in the first reply didn't need to be phrased as "DUH!" is the point.

Re: Hook's function. Galvatron's function, lest we forget, is City Commander, and he certainly never did a lot of that ;)
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Clay wrote:I dunno. If they're robots and all, is there a qualitative difference between engineer, medic, and mechanic?
Depends what's meant by medic.

There's a difference in environmental applications between the aforementioned. Somebody with medical skills may be indistinguishable from a mechanic or an engineer, but a dedicated in-the-field medic is something quite different.

I can't really see Hook as the sort of character to be dashing back and forward through a gunfight, patching up his comrades as they get shot. He'd be too busy collectively falling over with the rest of Devastator.
RUNAMOK
Protoform

Post by RUNAMOK »

Maybe there is some sort of basic training for most troops in a bit of repairing damage among the Decepticons and Autodots. I think Waspinator was able to piece himself together a few times, and Hot Rod was able to reattach Kup's tornoff limbs in the movie. None of them are medics, so maybe there is a how-to-reattach-your-own-limbs-lesson, but that's just me guessing. Junkions are also capable of putting themselves and other back together.

Another thing, how necessary is immediate medical help for transformers? They might die of energy loss, but it's not like a human that bleeds to death is a rather short period. In most cases its either "dead at first shot" or they loose something that they are able to survive without for quite a bit of time.

Another thing among transformers is, that dead doesn't necessarily mean dead. Many transformers have been brought back from the "dead" in fiction like the Marvel comics. So maybe the dead transformers are just dead until they get propper medical attension. This might reduce the need for field medics.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

While there's little to back it up (even in TF:TM you could say it was simply practical), I do like the idea that the Decepticons have a very harsh survival-of-the-fittest credo... If a high-ranking 'Con gets injured, that's a chance for the underlings to advance themselves; if some cannon-fodder loses an arm, who cares? We're talking about a faction who spend a considerable amount of time plotting against each other while the Autobots look on and laugh. I guess in that sort of situation you learn to do your own maintenance...
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Yeah. Who really wants their job to be "making sure that they can't get promoted"?