Did a Shortpacked guest strip...

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
DrSpengler
Protoform

Did a Shortpacked guest strip...

Post by DrSpengler »

http://www.shortpacked.com/comics/20080 ... tstrip.png

God damn, I can't draw.

Anyhow, it's less a slight against TV Nihon and their irritating practice of not using the nearest approximation of certain words (most notably "yatsu" and "-tachi") for their translations because "Japanese words sound cooler!", and more of a response to all those annoying otaku that have given me crap ever since I started using Western names for the manga translations on this site.

When I originally started translating the manga for this site I used the Japanese names like Destron/Convoy/Seibertron etc, but when I switched over to Western names I apparently outraged a few members of the community, who vowed to tell everyone they knew that my translations were "fake" (their words, not mine).

Anyhow, I'm still bitter about it because I'm a bitter, bitter man. Enjoy some squiggly art!
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Do I need to revive that old Western names are better campaign?
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I've never been bothered by what names the characters are given in translations (even Billy) as long as it's done consistently.
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

DrSpengler wrote:Anyhow, I'm still bitter about it because I'm a bitter, bitter man.
And it shows. ;) What is the meaning of that otaku stereotype's headband?

I should catch up to your translations but head starts to hurt when I try to read the latest ones. :(
Civ

Post by Civ »

DrSpengler wrote:When I originally started translating the manga for this site I used the Japanese names like Destron/Convoy/Seibertron etc, but when I switched over to Western names I apparently outraged a few members of the community, who vowed to tell everyone they knew that my translations were "fake" (their words, not mine).
I remember seeing a glimpse of this madness. Spengs, just keep doing what you're doing. It's appreciated by people who aren't otakus and want to know more about the manga, like me.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthrea ... 2ASpeng%2A

Osku, the otaku's headband has a symbol from Naruto. It depicts a character's place of origin like a village, city, or nation. Faction symbol really.
Thanks, Zeeks! Great job! :up:
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

DrSpengler wrote:I apparently outraged a few members of the community, who vowed to tell everyone they knew that my translations were "fake" (their words, not mine).
Well you would. Surely you know that something which replaces one language's word with the word from the language it's being translated into isn't a translation. You big fraud, you.

And no, you can't draw. But then neither can I... :(
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Osku wrote:What is the meaning of that otaku stereotype's headband?
It's a Narutard thing.

http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naruto

So Dr. Spengler is that "some allspark guy" that Walky mentioned on his blog to do a guest strip. Congrats man. It's now up on Shortpacked!'s main page.
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Yeah, saw that this morning. Nice work. :)
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

I LOLed.
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Thanks!

And honestly, the Transformers manga isn't anything to get outraged over. If the detractors actually read some of that crap, they'd find that Western names are the least of the manga's issues.

"SUPER SPIRAL MINIBOT ATTACK OF JUSTICE!!"

Ugghhh...
wolfbolt86
Protoform

Post by wolfbolt86 »

That was great, and i don't see the point in just using the japanese name instead of the english name.

By the way, why do the japanese have their characters calling out their attacks instead of just using them without saying the things name?
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Dragon Ball Z Syndrome. Instead of just throwing a fireball they have to yell at the top of their lungs "KAMEHAMEHAAAAAAA!!" You'd think the opponent would KNOW the attack is coming when they start yelling the name, but no. They freeze up and take the hit.

EDIT: Holy hell. This is three days in a row, where I'm actually being useful. I gotta do something about that, stat!
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

I think maybe the Japanese took the wrong cues from Silver Age comic books, where characters would describe their powers every time they used them.

Superman: "And now I shall stop you with my ARCTIC BREATH!"

Cyclops: "Magneto will be defeated by my OPTIC BLASTS!"

Batman: "You won't get away after I hit you with my BATARANG!"

And so on.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

It certainly goes back at least two decades before Dragonball Z - it's in practically every Super Robot show. Wonder if it was in Gigantor...
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Nice Spengs, very nice. I laughed out loud as well, you pinned the stereotype perfectly! The art isn't that bad either, certainly better than I could do.
Ostentatious

Post by Ostentatious »

HA! HA! Great work, at least in the department of plot/rant. It's people like the otaku that prevent me from joining any geeky clubs at my university. Yet again it is called the Carolina Otaku Up Rising, but still, it would be nice to meet people with similar interests that don't yell "desu~" after every sentence.
~
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

DrSpengler wrote:Thanks!

And honestly, the Transformers manga isn't anything to get outraged over. If the detractors actually read some of that crap, they'd find that Western names are the least of the manga's issues.

"SUPER SPIRAL MINIBOT ATTACK OF JUSTICE!!"

Ugghhh...

Hey! The Decepticons once killed a dog and ate some babies* in it! You won't find that hard core stuff in the mamby pamby Western media.

I surprised no ones shown up yet to defend the "Use the Japanese names" viewpoint...

*This bit may be lies.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Ostentatious wrote:Carolina Otaku Up Rising
North or South Carolina?
Ostentatious

Post by Ostentatious »

Kali wrote:North or South Carolina?
North, buckaroo. The home of flight ( it was a technicality) and too many college sports teams to follow. Born and raised in a swamp. Well, technically the swamp is about 10 yards behind my house and I do live in a fairly elitist neighborhood with a doctor, lawyers, and the ex-SBI agent, but it still surrounded by swamp.
~
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

I grew up and lived in North Carolina for the first 27 years of my life. My condolences.