Spotlight: Shockwave

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Ballplayer
Just thinking for a bit, does the BW continuity of IDW correspond with their G1 continuity
IDW BW is the TV show continuity. Their main Transformers books are an Ultimate-style new continuity.
Ballplayer
Protoform

Post by Ballplayer »

mmm a shame isn't it?
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

mmm a shame isn't it?

In what way? Following the TV, or even the Dreamwave, continuity for thei main TF book wasn't really an option- And seting BW in a new continuity just to tie the books together would be a bit pointless.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

mmm a shame isn't it?
With BW comes far more of the original cartoon than the original comics, and if I want either there've been a lot of fan groups writing over the past fifteen years. BW itself has never strongly interested me.

I'll be happy if I don't see Unicron or Primus rehashed for the umpteenth time, ditto for time travel, Megatron-->Galvatron, etc.
Lambda prime
Protoform

Post by Lambda prime »

The last thing I'd want to see of unicron and Primus is a fight to end all fights between both in robot mode. It's never been done before and something like that to finalise both characters is long overdue. All this heralds, tainted transformers, realities and Unicrons coming multi issue story arcs is getting annoying. If they don't exist in IDW's universe at all thats fine. All that build up dreamwave did wasn't mystifying anyone and ultimately pointless the worst one was Armada 18 after four issues it gets to Unicron and it's a one issue rush job, no doubt with G1 ongoing it would have been get to issue 25 and poof 'he's dead the end (?)'.

These synthetic beast forms are Furmans ackowledgement of a good idea, they are robots in disguise and that doesnt have to be cars, vehicles and other mechanical stuff, wheres the logic of having robot looking animals that will stand out like a sore thumb?
Alphadog
Check out Ebay store for Armada, Energon, Alternators, 20th Anniversery figures:
Jil sells all
Undeaddan/
Friends site
Tacticalunderground
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Lambda prime
wheres the logic of having robot looking animals that will stand out like a sore thumb?
Grimlock and the rest have never particularly been into either logic or subterfuge... well, "hit it until it stops moving" is logical, I suppose...
Lord Zarak

Post by Lord Zarak »

If someone could pick one up for me, instead of me going through ebay, I'll will babysit yer kids and not expect payment!
inflatable dalek

Originally posted by Lord Zarak
If someone could pick one up for me, instead of me going through ebay, I'll will babysit yer kids and not expect payment!

If you arange it for me to be in the same room as a woman long enough to father some kids you may have a deal.
Lord Zarak

Post by Lord Zarak »

Originally posted by inflatable dalek
If you arange it for me to be in the same room as a woman long enough to father some kids you may have a deal.

So, 30 seconds is all you need?
inflatable dalek

Originally posted by Lord Zarak
So, 30 seconds is all you need?

Does that include foreplay?
Lord Zarak

Post by Lord Zarak »

Does that include foreplay?

Yep.
inflatable dalek

That's twice as much time as I need then!

On a semi serious note, I'll have a word with comic book guy next week to see if he has any left old chap.
Lord Zarak

Post by Lord Zarak »

On a semi

*childish giggles*
SHOCKERS
Protoform

Post by SHOCKERS »

I enjoyed this story,and as the first ''Spotlight'' i'm pleased Furman wrote it about Shockwave,a character whose personallity is strong enough utilise in many different scenarios.In the Marvel comics as in the TV show i always thought Shockwave was a wealth of untapped potential.

What i was surprised to find was that the story also focused on the Dynobots.As i haven't read any of the Dreamwave stuff,and only started collecting IDW from Stormbringer #1,it was interesting to see them in their Cybertronian incarnations.I'd like to see their alt modes,they all look very ''tank-like''.

I loved the concept from the start,Shockers taking it upon himself to 'seed' other worlds for Regenesis.His massive,logical data banks dictating that there's no point mentioning his actions to Megatron.This is Shockwave how he should be represented,taking initiation and decisive action,for the future of the Decepticons,HIS Decepticons,it's the only logical conclusion.

The vendetta that leads on to retribution from Grimlock is a good backstory that i hope Furman ellaborates on at a later point.I also thought it was a nice twist to have Slag reconfigure them into Beastwars-like dino-modes.

In my opinion it fell a little flat in the last act,with Furman clearly suggesting that Shockwave had influenced the evolution of Earth,and was uncovered in an excavation in 2006,which,from what i can see, kind of p*sses on any other continuity.But as i said,i haven't read DW,or any recent comics other than Stormbringer,so i could be wrong.

All in all i liked it.I got the copy with James Raiz's cover art,but i thought Nick Roche did a stand-up job.I look forward to the next Spotlight,maybe if Furman focused on some of the more minor characters.Personal favourites would be Brawn,Whirl and maybe some of the Gestalts.
''Every experiment needs a guineapigatron!''
inflatable dalek

Originally posted by SHOCKERS
from what i can see, kind of p*sses on any other continuity.

Well, right from the start they've ben saying this is brand spanking new continuity.
SHOCKERS
Protoform

Post by SHOCKERS »

Just read an interview with Simon Furman....cleared up alot...
''Every experiment needs a guineapigatron!''
Lord Zarak

Post by Lord Zarak »

That's twice as much time as I need then!

On a semi serious note, I'll have a word with comic book guy next week to see if he has any left old chap.

Ta, but FP has them in now!

Cheers anyway man
inflatable dalek

That's lucky because I forgot to ask him...
Lord Zarak

Post by Lord Zarak »

That's lucky because I forgot to ask him...

I'm shocked at the lack of shock.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Damn, that was a nice one. :)

I agree with those who said "best TF comic by IDW so far". Whatever Simon drank prior to writing this, I say give him more of it. :)

It's a tad too early to say I love Nick Roche's art, but he certainly has potential. There were some really dynamic scenes in there I liked, particularly Shockwave's transformations on pages 17 and 18.

If Nick continues expanding on his own style, he might become the new Geoff Senior. :)

Also: Hand-drawn faction logos. Me like.

Much as I usually like Josh's coloring skills, I wish he had gone for something a little dirtier here. Something similar to Steve White's colors on Geoff Senior's art from the old Marvel UK stories. Maybe a suggestion for next time?
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.