Spotlight: Shockwave

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Originally posted by Nevermore
I agree with those who said "best TF comic by IDW so far". Whatever Simon drank prior to writing this, I say give him more of it. :)

As with all good Englishmen it was a nice cup of tea.

[shameless whoring]My own little review: http://tfarchive.com/community/showthre ... post521691[/shameless whoring]
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

http://tfarchive.com/comics/idw/spotlig ... wave_a.php

I've just gotta write a small script for easy inclusion of toy review updates onto the front page, and I'll update it there then...
inflatable dalek

Thatnks for remembering to credit LKW on the Joe review, somthing I should have suggested but forgot. Double minus points for forgeting my spoof script from the creative bit though. We need a smiley with one, manly tear on its face. ;)
DCJosh
Protoform

Post by DCJosh »

Originally posted by Nevermore

Much as I usually like Josh's coloring skills, I wish he had gone for something a little dirtier here. Something similar to Steve White's colors on Geoff Senior's art from the old Marvel UK stories. Maybe a suggestion for next time?

gimme some references, ill see what i can do

always lookin to bring out new styles in my colors

[and yeah. the colors in this issue were pretty poor. it was pretty rushed most the way through, i'll admit T____T]
-Click to view my Digital Portfolio-
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by inflatable dalek
from the creative bit
At a rough guess there's a hundred or so items to slot in currently. In the medical profession it's called triage; basically, stuff that's easiest happens first.
inflatable dalek

Yes, but I'm the important one. If this were a medical situation Doctors would be harvesting all your organs to keep me alive.
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

Finally received my issue.

Good issue. "Homage" issues like this has always been something I haven't liked. This time Furman managed to include enough new material that it didn't feel like plagiarism.

Especially liked
-Shockwave disconnecting logic circuits
-Furman's excuse to concentrate TFs on Earth (Shockwave seeding many planets, but thanks to Dynobots unable to fine tune the energon on other planets). Still not very glad about super energon concept, but it makes more sense now than in Infiltration.

I've always recognized Roche's ability in story telling (TMUK CG2 fanfic for example), but his exaggarating style hasn't been quite to my taste. I was pleasantly surprised how... tight and disciplined his art was in this issue. Good layouts, story flowed well. Excellent debut, definitely willing to see more from him in the IDW continuity.

Colours were OK, a bit unfinished looking and too bright at some points.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by Osku
Especially liked
-Shockwave disconnecting logic circuits
Aye, that was a great touch in my eyes. Makes sense that Shockwave understands that in some cases the logical thing is to disregard logic. Nice little paradox.
-Furman's excuse to concentrate TFs on Earth (Shockwave seeding many planets, but thanks to Dynobots unable to fine tune the energon on other planets). Still not very glad about super energon concept, but it makes more sense now than in Infiltration.

It is a very sensible way of moving the action here. What was DW's excuse? The Decepticon Matrix was buried here or some other gash like that?
inflatable dalek

Originally posted by Brendocon
It is a very sensible way of moving the action here. What was DW's excuse? The Decepticon Matrix was buried here or some other gash like that?

Because Earth has the best Porsche dealers.
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

After second reading I liked the issue even more. There are many little things that are done right in this issue. :)

Shockwave's inner monologue is well done, not just the words but how those are written. No speech bubbles/squares when it's clear that it's character thinking (a little thing that shouldn't be seen in professionally published comics, but sadly not uncommon).

Character's motivations for their actions are believable. Grimlock's & co. reckless vendetta would be otherwise really stupid, if not for the fact that Grimlock actually had a back up emergency plan. AND it also seemed that Grimlock did that without telling the other members of the group, which left me thinking his motivation for that. Would others have considered it a show of weakness and/or fear, was it that Grimlock didn't want to confess others that he was actually worried they couldn't handle Shockwave? A little nuances liket his added a lot to the issue.

Of course there little things that could have IMHO been better excecuted. For example.
-Bludgeon standing with an unsheathed energon blade in front of Megatron. Would Megatron have allowed that, was Bludgeon really a warrior at that point. His characterization points more to scientist (read up to Stormbringer #3, so I don't know if there's been more in #4). I suppose it's mostly to make recognizing the character easier, but would have prefered sword being sheathed.
-Shockwave's hand rising from the lava should have been his gun hand.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

****ing awesome. I don't know what sort of **** comics half of you lot would prefer (probably Predaking and Superion punching each other in the face for 20 pages, eh?) but that was ****ing awesome. That was nearly Planetary-level good. Good script, good plot, good characterisation - we're sure Infiltration was written by Furman and wasn't a joke/~150 page printing error?
inflatable dalek

Well, hopefully now Furman's refound his grove Escalation will hit the ground runing.

There's probably a six issue Evolutions comic in those unused Dynobot alt modes...
horizon
Protoform

Post by horizon »

Sorry for necromancy.

* DEATH THREAD ARISE*

But I rapid-download-shared various idw comics. Having read Marvel in the '80's, early '90's nothing else.

IDW is mediocre at best imo.

However.

Spotlight: Shockwave is just plain awesomely cool. Why on earth isn't the rest like this?
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Because Nick Roche is a bad bad man who they wouldn't let write lots of stuff until nobody gave a toss. :(
Neuronutter
Protoform

Post by Neuronutter »

Halfshell wrote:Because Nick Roche is a bad bad man who they wouldn't let write lots of stuff until nobody gave a toss. :(
Roche didn't write Spotlight Shockwave. Furman did.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Never said he did. I said it's the reason the rest isn't that awesome.

So :p