[SPOILERS] Movie #2 reactions; film now out!

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.

Did you like it?

Yes, it was great
25%
NO.
17%
The first one was better
25%
It was okay
19%
Yes, it was better than the first
14%
other
No votes

Total votes: 36

Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

Halfshell wrote:And it just happens that some of the other Decepticons turn into similar machines."
Not similar. Exactly the same.

And, you guys are missing the point. I wasn't trying to say that their explination sucked...I was saying that it was BS. That was not the original idea and they had to scramble to come up with something plausible.

It's annoying and really cheapens the movie, in my opinion.
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

"Can't wait for election day,
Wouldn't miss the occupation corporations rule the day." - Pearl Jam, "Undone"
Reflector

Post by Reflector »

OPTIMUS HIT MEGATRON WITH A FRIGGIN TREE.

Ya know, I hated it at first, but the more I think about it the more I appreciate it. More details after lunch maybe.

Please, please, hold your applause.

[EDIT: Okay.

As a piece of cinema, this movie is garbage, but we expected that. Even given that, there are many bits (and even whole characters) that are absolutely painful: Devastator's balls, Leo's balls, Simmons' underwear, the dogs humping, Wheelie humping, Judy stoned. I also frankly can't freakin' stand the twins. Eye-rollers like these were much more common than in the first film, and it really hurt.

That said, the action was good, there were fewer annoying humans, and the action was good. The action was also good. Plus, the action was good.

Did I mention Optimus hit Megatron with a friggin tree?]
Flec's selling a lot of RID, Armada, and Energon, and a few G1 toys. 'S all I'm sayin'.
The TFArchive RPG - "the most popular part of the site[!]" - Skywarp. Darn tootin'.
Tramp
Protoform

Post by Tramp »

Brimstone, how do you know it was not their original plan from the beginning? Unless you have the script or were involved in the film, you don't. You may not like their reasoning, but that is the direction Hasbro and Bay went with for Devastator. He's a combiner using whatever Constructicons are available at any given time, and there are multiple versions of each type. It's not that bad of an explanation.
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

Tramp wrote:Brimstone, how do you know it was not their original plan from the beginning? Unless you have the script or were involved in the film, you don't.
Whatever. Just keep on drinking the kool-aid man.
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I liked Sam's line about not being a alien ambassador.
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

inflatable dalek wrote:I liked Sam's line about not being a alien ambassador.
I liked his line about "I tried to kill you, and I can see how you might be upset about that." :D
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

Tramp
Protoform

Post by Tramp »

Brimstone wrote:Whatever. Just keep on drinking the kool-aid man.
I like Koolaid. :D
numbat

Post by numbat »

Halfshell wrote:Seriously, I'm more than happy with the answer of "Devastator is a separate character, who transforms into a selection of vehicles. And it just happens that some of the other Decepticons turn into similar machines."
That would be my prefered explanation as well. But, I think the clone one is what Hasbro and Bay are going for. I suppose it makes some sense...

It is a shame that the Rampage toy is yellow though...
Brimstone wrote:I liked his line about "I tried to kill you, and I can see how you might be upset about that." :D
I loved that line!

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

numbat wrote:That would be my prefered explanation as well. But, I think the clone one is what Hasbro and Bay are going for.
What's the "clone" explanation? Did I miss that somewhere?
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

borg72

Post by borg72 »

hmmnn time for a positive methinks:

Kevin Dunn was awesome as ron witwicky... the scene in egypt where he had to leave without sam "we'll all go together!" was a real emotional high point in the film that really helped mirror sams maturation into an adult (i still dont get why he took michaela with him, but hey).

and i didnt almost cry at all at that part. not at all *bites fist*

i'd happily watch a non-transformers 'witwicky' movie any day.

EDIT: if were doing favorite lines, mines "I'll take you ALL on!"; because you know whats coming next (an arse-kicking), and you know exactly how its gonna end (not well)
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

Saw The movie yesterday. My response is...

Good news first...
Excellent fight scenes. The forest scene was truly epic.:D Special FX was the best I've ever seen. Great voice acting. The movie was funny at some points. I thought Skids and Mudflap were hilarious. Especially Jetfire.

Bad news...
It had way to many humorless sex jokes.:nonono:Especially...
Devastators testicles.

Skids and Mudflap were pretty much racial caricatures

The story wasn't too great. Sorry for being Captain Obvious.

Now for the minor details that bugged me a lot...

Some of my favorite characters in the film didn't see character development like Sideswipe, Jolt and Soundwave.

Sometimes when a character transformed the camera would zoom in so close all you would see on the screen is metal on metal shifting over metal and have no idea what you were looking at.

Final Thoughts...
In few the months prior to the movie's release I've been asking myself some "what if" questions like, "Will the movie be a flop?", or "will the sex jokes continue in the sequel?" Both of these fears were realized to my horror.

My verdict is this movie's a flop. I enjoyed the action and some of the jokes but what killed the movie was the lack of depth in the story and the humorless jokes.

You guys can hang me now.
"Some people are like slinkies, not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."

Movies I've seen recently:
Red
Johnny Got His Gun
A Clockwork Orange
Fight Club
Toy Story 3
Zombieland
Tenacious D The Pick of destiny
Watchmen
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

Tramp wrote:Well, there's actually two different sets of Constructicons in the movie. One group becomes Devastator, the other group fights individually. According to Hasbro and the writers at BotCon, Devastator is made up of however many Constructicons are available at any given moment.

And I really Like that concept.
Come on and wind me up.
wolfbolt86
Protoform

Post by wolfbolt86 »

Dealing with Rampage for a minute, this could be the reverse of the Brawl debacleform the first movie. I remember Starscream calling for Rampage and a cut away showing the red bulldozer. Maybe Hasbro has the name for the yellow bulldozer wrong, or it could be like how Brawl was the toy name while the movie name being Devastator.

I do like the idea that there are clones since it is a cheaper alternative both for the toyline and for screen time.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Skidmark wrote:Some of my favorite characters in the film didn't see character development like Sideswipe, Jolt and Soundwave.
Jolt and Sideswipe aren't characters. They're special effects.
Starfield
Protoform

Post by Starfield »

I went into the movie with pretty low expectations and I ended up liking it better than I thought I would. My biggest gripe is that all the super-cool Autobots (Sideswipe, Arcee, Ironhide, even Jolt) got bit parts so the super-crappy Autobots (Twins, Jetfire, Wheelie) could get more screen time. I also liked the Decepticons from the last movie more than the Constructicons.

The story wasn't bad, if you are prepared to wait while the "humorous" parts were going on until the actual story could get going again.

Where was that planet The Fallen's ship was on? Megatron just flew there and back in a couple of days? It must have been close, in the Solar System at least. I wasn't paying close enough attention to catch if it was supposed to be Mars or what.
Tramp
Protoform

Post by Tramp »

A number of people have said that the Nemesis was on one of Saturn's moons.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Starfield wrote:Where was that planet The Fallen's ship was on? Megatron just flew there and back in a couple of days? It must have been close, in the Solar System at least. I wasn't paying close enough attention to catch if it was supposed to be Mars or what.
Jetfire introduces the space bridge idea later in the film, but it's not clear that that's what Megatron uses except for the time involved (he's there and back within a day or two).

Saturn is in the background, so it's safe to assume the wrecked ship is on one of its moons.
Zisteau

Post by Zisteau »

Finally saw it today, and I have some mixed reactions. I'd say that overall I enjoyed it, but it could have been so much more. A few things didn't really bother me, the twins I actually found pretty funny except for maybe one or two lines of theirs. They had the entire theater laughing for the majority of their time onscreen, and I think if their faces had been a little different (i.e. no gold tooth) no one would be making such a big deal about them. A lot of the silliness just seems to fit in with this universe. The humping dogs were funny, who doesn't find a chihuahua humping a bigger dog funny? They did take it too far a few times, like the Devastator testicles.

Overall I would say the major problem is that everything is just too rushed. We have great characters (or at least potential for characters) that are never given a chance. Jetfire gets what? Ten minutes of screen time? And then hes dead? Same with Sideswipe and the constructicons, as well as the returning cast of transformers bar Optimus and Bumblebee.

Oh well. The action scenes were fun.
Clay wrote:
Yeah, I guess add me to the camp for wanting a different director/writer for any potential sequel. Hell, with some technical consultants and a few hundred million dollars, I could do as good or better, I think.
Unfortunately the problem doesn't have much to do with writing and/or directing on set. There are only a small handfull of people on the planet who are qualified to take on a film with this kind of budget, and unfortunately Bay's one of them.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Tramp wrote:A number of people have said that the Nemesis was on one of Saturn's moons.

That was pretty much my thought as well, a very short trip with Megatron's super technobabble engines.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Brimstone wrote:Not similar. Exactly the same.
But teh colorz are diffrent!!111eight