Post Bay Transformers.

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
inflatable dalek

Post Bay Transformers.

Post by inflatable dalek »

So the third film will probably be the end of the road for most of the current team, both behind and in front of the cameras (with the possible exception of the new girl, who at the very least is going to have an option for more films in her contract and probably signed a three film deal as the others did when they started). Assuming it's not so much of a box office bomb it kills the franchise that means the fourth film will likely be new start.

So what would we like to see? Director wise, cast wise, screenwriters and so on. Changes to the set up (keep the NEST background or ditch it?) or keep things basically the same?

Film franchises that wind up pretty much completely changing the creative team- at least in terms of an ongoing series rather than where there's been a long gap and a reboot for a new audience- successfully are pretty rare, especially when it comes to all new lead actors (the main audience identification point). Bond's probably the most successful Western example having done it more than once over the decades (though usually gradually, there's not really any two straight films with a whole new start).

Other than that, attempts to keep franchises going well tend to be extremely variable with drastically diminished box office, often straight to home media and when things start going really badly a desperate attempt to get the original leads back (hello Vin). Even with the Trek films, which can be considered a more successful example, only one of the TNG films has achieved something like the box office, critical reception and iconic status that the best original cast films managed. Restoring the films success took a gap and a new audience attracting reboot.

So I guess the big question is, how do we stop Transformers falling into that trap? It already has one advantage in that, like the Godzilla films (another successful example) there's more than just human characters and instantly recognisable characters like Optimus Prime are going to be in it even if the actor isn't.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Nathan Fillion.
inflatable dalek

Halfshell wrote:Nathan Fillion.

Acting? Writing? Directing? Just the new direction in general? Or as the hot new female lead bent over a bike?
Sades

Post by Sades »

Beast Wars!

I'm just going to keep saying it. Maybe it will happen if I keep saying it.

Nathan Fillion can be Caveguy Dismembered #1 or something.

[editz] Assuming that there is a reboot with new people behind the helm, I'm hoping that it won't go to extremes in terms of designs- strict Bayformer/Geewun copies won't be imaginative in the least. Though it'd be forgiven if they could at least make it interesting. "I can't wait to see the new Sam Witwicky, can you? I hear there's robots in it." is kinda what it's at now.

WFC's got a nice balance going, in terms of design.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
inflatable dalek

They could do a crossover with Cavegirl. That'd be awesome.

Though Cavegirl's probably old and fat by now.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Sam Raimi. Or possibly Bryan Singer.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
horizon
Protoform

Post by horizon »

I don't care, as long as they bring back '80's robot designs. At least you could identify everyone back then. In the movies this is a really difficult job to do.

Only keep Bumblebee from these movies, he is way more better then in the '80s.

Storywise: it should be Transformers. Get it?

Also: Spielberg should be dropped. I mean, he is the one responsible for Sam killing Megatron and not Optimus Prime. Ah well, I did not mind that so much to be honest. The first movie was pretty good I think, especially in hindsight and after watching ROTF.
Wildrider

Post by Wildrider »

So in the event of the inevitable reboot, I personally would like something totally different, maybe a total CGI number with Brad Bird directing a totally robot centred story away from the humans. Not that the humans weren't integral and without success in Bay's films, but to have a rehash of first contact seems redundant.

Start from scratch and embrace a different approach to the franchise, you can still have familiar characters Prime and everyone, but go in a different direction, interplanetary exploration and war.

A total robot centred approach would never work with Bayformers, they are just too detailed and confusing to look at when massed, especially on Cybertron. It's only when they take on alt modes do any of the TFs become recognisable beyond their protoform origins, so a rethink would be needed.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Wildrider wrote:A total robot centred approach would never work with Bayformers, they are just too detailed and confusing to look at when massed, especially on Cybertron. It's only when they take on alt modes do any of the TFs become recognisable beyond their protoform origins, so a rethink would be needed.
It would also cost more than the universe. Sizeable human (or non-TF) sections are, unless much changes, the only viable way of making a live-action film with Transformers that look good.

Animated? Watch the box-office dive.

My gut instinct is to leave it be, TBH. We're not going to get the dark robot character-driven story that Transformers has apparently been on more than the odd occasion, so let's stop kidding ourselves.
optimusskids
Protoform

Post by optimusskids »

Pixar style animation ? Cars is halfway there already
Wildrider

Post by Wildrider »

optimusskids wrote: Cars is halfway there already
I was thinking more in an adult, off kilter setting with slightly more mature character designs! Cars and Cars 2 are undeniable low points in Pixar's history, but Bird is awesome and if you let the designers free for some edgier designs, at the very least characterisation and narrative might be entertaining.

Look at some of the design in some animated films like Wall-E and '9' (Although not Pixar) there is a foundation for something special and spectacular, you put the right elements in the melting pot and you could cook up an intriguing and unique Transformers pie!

I'm hungry...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

A large part of the reason Pixar have bridged the cartoon age ghetto is they're funny and fuzzy - it'd be difficult to see a Transformers film done in that style, or a Transformers film done in a Pixar visual style.

Plus, TBH, how awesome does simple stuff like transformation look in live action? As opposed to it being largely functional in more traditional animated forms... I think a switch to animated would cost the franchise a lot of wow-factor in terms of regular cinemagoers, who go to see robots flying into 'real' buildings and moving around real people.
Wildrider

Post by Wildrider »

Oh absolutely! You're never going to tire of the "wow" factor of seeing live action Transformers and I love the designs and effects of Bay's films, the 3D was amazing for me in this latest film, it complimented it without being gimmicky or intrusive. It's just I'm so fond of Bay's take on the franchise, I fail to see how anyone could do a reboot from a 'first contact' perspective any better than the first film.

For me the first Bay film is nearly flawless in it's balance and exceution of an introduction into the franchise, character, humour, action and amazing action.

I just wouldn't want to see that replicated to an inferior standard in the inevitable reboot, of which there will be one. I mean just look at the pointless reboot of 'Spiderman' being made now, it may be good, but who cares? It's essentially the same origin story, tweaked slightly, that seems to be a characteristic of most comic book franchises.

I'd much rather see a straight sequel to the existing films than a reboot, or come to think of it maybe Dinobot/Beast Wars centric, but seeing as a lot of TFs robot modes have simian and other assorted animal characteristics from the Bay films in robot mode already, I'm wondering how effective that would be.

I'm just brain storming here! :D
Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

I'd like to see a few years off from live action TF films now to give a bit of breathing space, find a new director / creative team and allow for lots of luvverly Generations style figures to fill our toy shops. It'd give TF Prime more space to develop too.

I'd then like to see the film series continued. I know it's painfully obvious, and many people hate the idea, but I'd like to see a continuation of the current series with the story developing along the lines of the original TF cartoon film. I know Unicron is going to be hard to interact with, but let's not just assume he is a planet sized giant. He somehow harvests planets, but maybe he doesn't eat them in the way '86 Unicron did. Maybe a swarm of "minicons" can do that? Dunno. Anyway, Unicron is about to devour (in some way TBC)
SPOILER! (select to read)
Cybertron during DOTM, but when it gets brought to Earth it is snatched away from him.
Seriously ticked off, he goes looking for it. He detects Earth and gets peckish. However, the TF Matrix is there, and he is worried by it.
He resurrects Megatron and makes him Galvatron. Let's also give him Cyclonus & Scourge as lieutenants, plus Soundblaster & Ratbat for kicks. He tasks Galvy with destroying the Matrix, and ergo Optimus. After some time he does kill OP, allowing the expected brouhahah about "who shall lead us know... etc." Chuck in Magnus, Hot Rod Kup & Blurr and we're good to go. Hot Rod gets the medallion of POWER, Magnus & Bumblebee get to bust some chops, Kup gets to be Kup, Blurr gets to do the Sideswipe stuff.
I know this shows zip creative thinking, but it would allow the series to continue with some new characters that are very well known and have both kid appeal and retro appeal for us old farts. Trick would be to somehow have Unicron as an exceptionally powerful being, but one that can interact sensibly with normal size TFs. A powerful MacGuffin is needed, and TF films have not been short of those.

Oh yeah,
Sam and Carly
have a kid. Why not. He's called Daniel. He says "shit", then gets killed. Everyones happy.
Wreck and Rule!
inflatable dalek

Optimus Prime finally snaps and kills everything.
Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

inflatable dalek wrote:Optimus Prime finally snaps and kills everything.
Zombie Dark Awakening Nemesis Prime!
It'd give Magnus someone to fight while Hot Rod is <cough> suprisingly sorting out Galvy & Unicron...
Wreck and Rule!
Cyberman

Post by Cyberman »

Wildrider wrote:Oh absolutely! You're never going to tire of the "wow" factor of seeing live action Transformers and I love the designs and effects of Bay's films,
I think the former is only true if the latter is as well.
I don't like the design of those Transformers - I don't like how they transform either.
Try as I might, I can't explain why. Too much morphing perhaps, or simply because I can't stand most of their designs.
In a perfect world, this would be a signature. As it stands, it's just the lack of.