New toys for 2010/post-movie

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
praetorian
Protoform

Post by praetorian »

numbat

Post by numbat »

Scourge continues to look dreadful...

Depending on how he's painted, Wheeljack could be good - and would be the only of that lot to have any chance of convincing me to part with any cash (at standard retail - not at those import prices!), by the looks of it.
Springer85
Protoform

Post by Springer85 »

Well, Rumble/Frenzy are going to be bought, same with Wheeljack and probably Scourge too,

It's a good time to be a Transformers fan, but a very bad time to be a wallet :p
Aspiring DJ!
Visit my channel at Soundcloud, Youtube or Facebook and let me know what you think!
Neuronutter
Protoform

Post by Neuronutter »

numbat wrote:Scourge continues to look dreadful...
Yes he does. In the same way that Thunderwing and Silverbolt looked dreadful.
Springer85
Protoform

Post by Springer85 »

I'm probably the only one that likes Scourge then? :p I just can't help it when I see a Targetmaster. I just want to have him :D
Aspiring DJ!
Visit my channel at Soundcloud, Youtube or Facebook and let me know what you think!
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

...Except he's not a Targetmaster. His gun is styled after one.
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
numbat

Post by numbat »

Neuronutter wrote:Yes he does. In the same way that Thunderwing and Silverbolt looked dreadful.
In fairness Scourge is dreadful in a whole different way:

- They didn't bother trying with Silverbolt (very G1 - but is that really an excuse?)

- They clearly put a lot of effort into making Scourge horrendous. Hopefully this was misguided effort, and not some cruel joke...
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Now see, I don't get giving Scourge a fake Targetmaster gun. I think I'd have been fine with him just having something based on his original gun, or a repaint of the little chap who came with Cyclonus. But going 95% Targetmaster but not spending the extra 50 pence on designing the thing to unfold is just annoying.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I agree with dalek that it's silly that they made Scourge's gun look like Fracas without actually transforming, although looking at it now it's pretty obvious that it's too narrow to transform into anything anyway. The funny thing is that they sort of shot themselves in the foot by giving a Targetmaster partner to Cyclonus. No one would have cared about Targetmasters if he'd come with a regular gun, but now people expect them to go that extra mile and get annoyed when they don't. Although strangely, no one seems to care that Kup and Blurr don't come with their partners.

I don't see where the rest of the Scourge-bashing is coming from, though. He looks like the character he's supposed to be (unlike, say, Blurr), he has normal proportions (unlike Tracks or Wreck-Gar), his colour scheme isn't eye-searing (unlike Skullgrin), the only kibble he has is 'supposed' to be there (unlike Kup), and he transforms into something similar to his G1 alt-mode (unlike Perceptor or Rumble). Considering who he's supposed to be I think they did as good a job as they could have, and I don't think he's come out especially better or worse than most of the other Generations guys. I'm not sure what the problem is, unless the people who don't like him didn't like Scourge to start with.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

That Frenzy looks pretty good actually. Not the altmode I would have imagined, but it pays off.

I actually have a lot of love for the overall G2 Optimus design. Shame it never got a cartoon appearance.

Scourge has a 'tache, therefore everything is forgiven.
I like bears.
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

I don't really have a problem with Scourge. My only gripe is his half assed gun but if push comes to shove I can replace it. This will be the only Scourge in my collection and I can't really afford to buy a nice complete G1 version right now..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
praetorian
Protoform

Post by praetorian »

Some hi-res pics of Rumble/Frenzy, including a new pic of the 'pile driver' mode:

http://www.e-hobby.co.jp/cgi-bin/omc?re ... 3930000000
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

Wheeljack and Scourge are definite purchases! Kinda wish Scourge's wings were bigger though. Are these all released next year? By all I mean pretty much the whole Generations line after Drift, Thrust etc

"No point in long goodbyes, here's the door."

"Life's a trip, and then you die" -
Hunter S.Thompson
1937-2005 :smokin:
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

TFW has higher-quality pics of Wheeljack, Laser Rod Prime, Rumble, Frenzy and Scourge. Wheeljack looks really nice in colour and suits that mold a lot more than Tracks does. Scourge looks about as good as you could expect him to, if you want him to look anything like his original character model. Rumble and Frenzy really don't impress. Prime...doesn't look great but I think it might just be a very unflattering pose.

Also, it seems like Thunderwing is getting remolded with a new head and chest. It looks like they're turning him into Black Shadow. Even though I suppose I should have expected that, it still caught me off-guard.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Scourge is about the only really impressive one... The G2 Optimus looks like that fat piece of shit from Energon, Wheeljack's arms are pathetic and there's something generic about the Cassette Brothers that I can't quite pin down.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Cliffjumper wrote:The G2 Optimus looks like that fat piece of shit from Energon
Now that you mention it, I can see the resemblance. I think it's the windows that does it. I'm hoping that it's either the angle of the shot that does it, or it's just mistransformed. It seems like the windows are just floating there with about half an inch of space between them and the rest of his chest.

I suppose I'm hoping that he's going to turn out better than he looks because I'd really like a deluxe-class G2 Prime to go with the (seriously mediocre, but sadly still the best toy the character's ever gotten) G2 Megatron from Classics.
Cliffjumper wrote:Wheeljack's arms are pathetic
I don't think they're especially short or mal-formed, although they're certainly not the huge monkey-arms the original toy had.
Cliffjumper wrote:and there's something generic about the Cassette Brothers that I can't quite pin down.
The vehicle modes are what put me off. The way the robot mode's main colours are just sort of splotched all over makes them look like haphazard redecos of a completely different toy to me. The red one's not too bad but the blue one really jumps out at me.

Plus I still can't agree with myself on which is Rumble and which is Frenzy, so I'm predisposed to be annoyed them to start with.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Mmm, Rumble & frenzy do just have that sort of... convention retool feel, like they've just grabbed a toy, jammed a new head cast on it and done the decos. Apart from the pile-driver bits, you could switch the head for someone else and recolour and it'd fit anyone else too - a bit like the Universe Ironhide/Ratchet mould. It's weird, as the originals are just blocks that turn into blocky robots, but there's just something half-arsed about them.

Wheeljack's arms just look too spindly - not so much compared to the apetastic Diaclone, but more compared to the spot-on big chunky legs.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

None of them are really doing anything for me. Scourge's gun and the alt mode/colour combination still annoy me (whilst I suppose there's no actual reason a stealth bomber can't be blue it just looks wrong as anything other than black), Wheeljack looks Ok but I don't really have any special affinity for the characte, G2 Laser Rod Prime is undone by me already having a G2 Laser Prime that's the equal of modern toys (and really, is there any pre-Beast toy that needs an update less?) and the rest are various shades of meh.
Plus I still can't agree with myself on which is Rumble and which is Frenzy, so I'm predisposed to be annoyed them to start with.
Look on the plus side, just buy one and alternate which character it is depending on your mood.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
numbat

Post by numbat »

They're all looking a bit dire to me... Wheeljack is the best of a bad lot, it seems.

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
Sades

Post by Sades »

agreed=numbat

Redos aren't cool anymore, are they?
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!