Transformers: Chaos / Vol. 7 TPB

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Paul053

Transformers: Chaos / Vol. 7 TPB

Post by Paul053 »

The Transformers: Volume 7: Chaos TPB will contain Ongoing issues #24, #26, #28, #30, #31.

Description @ Amazon.

- ziggy

-----

This is your all purpose Transformers #24 reaction and discussion thread.

- ziggy

-----

5 page preview up @ issuu.com
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

Wow...not digging that art style at all....
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

"Can't wait for election day,
Wouldn't miss the occupation corporations rule the day." - Pearl Jam, "Undone"
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

I kinda like it and kinda dont. Some parts work well. The main scenes are a bit confusing to read though. I'm a bit worried about the huge splash panels effect again. I mean, once again the first page is one panel for no real effect or reason.

Got that sinking feeling...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

That looks fantastic. But then so did Simon Shits Himself And Panics: Sideswipe, so there we go.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Cliffjumper wrote:That looks fantastic. But then so did Simon Shits Himself And Panics: Sideswipe, so there we go.
^

What he said. Too much I've seen IDW look promising and then shitting all over themselves. Used to be there's hope for a great story arc. Now it's hope for a decent non-shit conclusion.

Also, I've read Heart of Darkness. I know who the enemy is, and it's the worst enemy in Transformers fiction that I've ever seen, even including Circuit Breaker, Unicron, the Neo-Knights, the Insecticon Swarm, Mecannibals, RAAT, Rock Lords and Richard Branson.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Worst name too. D-void. Hmm. Sounds like a fecking rapper. And a bad one at that.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

It's a lame attempt at a pun. A very very lame one. The writers thought they could pull something feasible like Jhiaxus, but frankly, D-Void is a terrible name.

Terrible design (the monster Nemesis mutant looked like it was designed by a three year old), terrible backstory, vague godly powers, lack of characterisation... you know, I miss the Dead Furmanverse.

I like it when stealth puns are like, say, Ramjet. Ramjet is a kind of engine, as well as describing a jet that rams jets.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

My, I'm looking forward to the first ever IDW ongoing when it starts with the mighty Roberts at the helm next year.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Aw...that kind of bums me out, honestly.

Kimia had been the site where all sorts of interesting stuff happened (LSOTW, Bullets in particular, and Roche's story in AHM #15). Now it's trashed. So much potential....
StarscreamX
Protoform

Post by StarscreamX »

Blackjack wrote:^

What he said. Too much I've seen IDW look promising and then shitting all over themselves. Used to be there's hope for a great story arc. Now it's hope for a decent non-shit conclusion.

Also, I've read Heart of Darkness. I know who the enemy is, and it's the worst enemy in Transformers fiction that I've ever seen, even including Circuit Breaker, Unicron, the Neo-Knights, the Insecticon Swarm, Mecannibals, RAAT, Rock Lords and Richard Branson.
From reading the solicits it sounds like MAYBE there going to ignore all that D-Void bollocks and that the villain is going to be Galvatron and something called "The Deceptigod". Which is also a bloody stupid name but hopefully he/she/it will be marginally more interesting than D-Void

And I'm glad to see Galvatron being a proper villain again in this story. And it looks like Cyclonus isn't the easily defeated prat he was in Heart of Darkness either.

It's both funny and sad that Galvatron and Cyclonus manage to be more menacing and impressive in about three pages of this preview for this issue than they were for the entirety of the Heart of Darkness miniseries
Decepticons forever!

Across the universe...the dead will rise :devil:

The secrets of the Universe reveal themselves to those who listen

Nobody likes you when you're dead
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

We're just ignoring heart of darkness now aren't we? Please?
StarscreamX
Protoform

Post by StarscreamX »

Red Dave Prime wrote:We're just ignoring heart of darkness now aren't we? Please?
I'd like to ignore it ever happened

I'm hoping it turns out that Galvatron is just a nutter and D-Void was all in his head
Decepticons forever!

StarscreamX
Protoform

Post by StarscreamX »

Well, it wasn't AS good as the issues that Roberts wrote by himself but then I think we all knew it wouldn't be. But on the bright side: It doesn't suck. And I'm betting that's because Roberts is co-writing this story with Costa

Galvatron is impressively sinister here, as is Cyclonus. None of that "Great Primus! She's so fast!" or "Great Heart of Darkness!" nonsense they were yelling in Heart of Darkness. Instead he's calm but menacing and obviously utterly bonkers viewing himself as above all the others and expecting everyone to either follow his every command or accept that their going to die. Which fits in nicely with his and the "Dead Universe" Cybertronians view of the Cybertronians as a superior race and themselves as superior to their fellow Cybertronians.

And thankfully his army is now only made up of Sweeps rather than the random generics and the "Threat" isn't specifically named as D-Void so I'm still hoping that Heart of Darkness is being mostly ignored. Certainly Galvatron and co are much more murderous and merciless than the incompetent jackasses they were in that mini series

The Autobots get some nice characterisation as well. Sunstreaker still isn't trusted, which makes more sense than the "Everyones friends again" panel from issue 21 but it's done in a nicely understated way, with the other Autobots giving him the cold shoulder. Also, he pets Bob and Bob purrs like a kitten. MOST. ADORABLE. SCENE. EVER. I want a Bob the Insection cuddly toy. He's a cute little mutated abomination of nature and science

Ironhide and Prime get to have some scenes together again and it's nice to see the friendship between the characters. And we get some references back to the Ironhide miniseries with Ironhide telling the other Autobots of how he knocked out the legendary Alpha Trion which Cliffjumper gets a laugh out of which fits his characterisation so far nicely. And there's a random reference to Bludgeon at one point, with one of the Autobots suggesting that Alpha Trion could have been him in disguise as joke? Don't know if that's just a pun I'm not getting or if, perhaps, it's going to turn out that everyones favourite nutty Decepticon cultist is going to be showing up. There IS meant to be an appearance by a Decepticon later in the story for Sunstreaker to face off with...

Optimus is pretty well written here, wanting peace but being ready to kick ass at the same time when Galvatron starts attacking.

And there's a pretty solid cliffhanger as well

On the negative side of things, it's a LOT quicker read than the superb issues 22 and 23 and there's a few too many splash pages. But I liked it. A good Transformers story actually STARRING the Transformers instead of a bunch of boring humans who no one cares about

Next issue...oh christ, Skywatch are back. So let's get ready for 22 pages showing why Spike Witwicky is the most dangerous character in the history of Transformers :nonono:

At least Prowl's back to being a manipulative son of a bitch. I'm guessing he's going to be the only good thing about the issues set on earth
Decepticons forever!

Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Quite liked this issue. The art, which I was a little wary of, is wonderful. Ok, some panels can be a little muddled but the high points are worth it - The main battle splash (a splash that is actually justified) and Galvatron being picked up by cyclonus are fantastic looking. The sweeps also look great - very creepy.

Plot wise, it was never going to be a match for the past 2 issues.But things go well - a bit of action, a bit of character ("Young" Ironhide is great fun) and a bit of intrigue. Is D-void a bit of fiction going on in Galvatrons head? Whats with the orbital station? And whats going to happen with Megatron?

So lots to like so far. Hopefully the last human story can keep things going in an interesting manner but we'll have to see.
StarscreamX
Protoform

Post by StarscreamX »

Red Dave Prime wrote:Quite liked this issue. The art, which I was a little wary of, is wonderful. Ok, some panels can be a little muddled but the high points are worth it - The main battle splash (a splash that is actually justified) and Galvatron being picked up by cyclonus are fantastic looking. The sweeps also look great - very creepy.
Yeah those Sweeps were nicely creepy. Very different from the comedy relief characters they were in the cartoon, they're more like a robotic zombie horde here. Were two of them actually EATING one of those Autobots on the Kimia station?
Plot wise, it was never going to be a match for the past 2 issues.But things go well - a bit of action, a bit of character ("Young" Ironhide is great fun) and a bit of intrigue. Is D-void a bit of fiction going on in Galvatrons head? Whats with the orbital station? And whats going to happen with Megatron?
I like the idea of D-Void all being in Galvatron's head and the Heart of Darkness is making him go nuts.
Decepticons forever!

Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Funny if Galvatron was, in effective, D-void. In so far as HE is the big bad thats furthering the Dead Universe but doesnt realise it. It would explain his powers in early furman issues and why the heart of Darkness calls out to him. Best of all, it would mean the d-void stuff is confined to his mind along with the awful artwork. Hoo-rah!

Get the feeling there's going to be something more revealed in this relating to Cybertron. Certainly from Megatron/ Primes discussion, I got the feeling we may be heading for a reveal there.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

That doesn't suck.

This doesn't suck, which is probably a record in a spree of ongoing issues that doesn't suck.

Thank god, Mike Costa has a better handle on Galvatron than the rubbish from Heart of Darkness. He's still crazy insane, but it's closer to his Infestation character rather than the whiny bitch from Heart of Darkness. The Sweeps and Cyclonus also look very sinister, unlike the "great Primus Hardhead's transforming so I lose" from Heart of Darkness.

The art is phenomenal. Action is blurred at some points, but the mood drawing and rather subdued tones and whatnot is so gorgeous and fits with the mood of the story. And besides, it's refreshing to see something that's not basic comic book art like the past few issues. I have nothing against those kind of art, but this is something else! The Sweeps in particular look like little mindless demons, which works very well. I like how one of the Sweeps bit something out of... Strafe? Fizzle?

Cliffjumper's turned back into his prissy cartoon persona, which I don't think is a good thing.

Ironhide and Sunstreaker are both being built up from their role in Ironhide... Costa seems to know which characters he can write and which he can't, so he's avoiding giving Megatron much dialogue. Good.

Downshift got a panel of personality (no doubt Roberts' doing. Only the fandom pays any attention to Omnibots) but it's a shame that the story implies that guys like the Technobots, Brainstorm, Chromedome, Swerve, Crosshairs and all that died in the assault. It's like the wiping out of Action Masters and Turbomasters in Garrus-9, dammit!

Anybody have any idea who the guy with the Xaaron-like head with Cloudburst in the first few pages is? I am drawing blanks on him... is it Grotusque? Which in case it won't make any sense...
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

I liked it.

Art is terrific, unlike the last piece that had similarly styled art [Spotlight Sideswipe], this one does not wash out all the pencil details.

Sweeps are tastefully creepy. Their bat\demon like wings fit in quite nicely.

The autobots appear to be a fierce team pieced of my favourite guys from the ongoing so far. We've got personal top of the top Sunstreaker with Rodimus, second tiers Ironhide and Drift and likeable dudes together with them. The only thing missing from that team is Perceptor and Thundercracker and I'd have a nerdgasm.

The negatives? Well...how did the Sweeps get so numerous? Did Galvatron format his entire army from HOD into sweep bodies? Is it by chance that Scourge was missing from all the action?

Didn't remember\know that Kimia was a spaceship. How come Cloudburst, a pretender [established badasses in this continuity] get taken down so easily?

Also, will some the **** body at IDW make up their minds on how they want Galvatron to be? During Furman's term he was an ambiguous bad guy, hints of remorse coming from his spotlight, hints of defiance from when he helped out Megatron in Devastation. In infestation he actually wanted to help out, albeit in a weird G1 Decepticon sense during which everybody had to kiss his ass. In Heat of Darkness he's like THE SAVIOUR, wanting to save the entire universe from D-Void, trying to recruit Rodimus, benevolently healing the Sweep that got damaged...

And now he once again want unconditional surrender of the autobots to his forces, slaughtering the residents of Kimia, blasting the autobots who didn't agree to join him...just because. Yeah, no reason given.

Really looking forward to more of this. At this format of 2 issues per month, no less!
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Mmm, heavily stylised but I do like the visuals a lot.

On the back of Heart of Darkness and related material being incredibly lacklustre, though, this'll be a TPB purchase if at all.
royel
Protoform

Long Beach Personal Injury Lawyer

Post by royel »

Long Beach Personal Injury Lawyer
http://www.robertreeveslaw.com/location ... ury-lawyer
Call (562) 528-3135 to speak to an Long Beach Personal Injury Lawyer now. With a 98.7% success rate, our Long Beach Accident Lawyers are here to help. We specialize in all types of injury cases including Car Accidents, Truck accidents, Wrongful Death and many more.
Long Beach Personal Injury attorney