IDW recommendations after the current arc ends?

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Osku
Protoform

IDW recommendations after the current arc ends?

Post by Osku »

In short; I ordered Roberts' and Roche's #22 and #23 and liked, a lot. Checked previews of Chaos and Earth arc -> decided to skip.

What to order after "Death of Optimus Prime" one-shot? I know Roberts is going to write another of the upcoming ongoing titles. Is there something else interesting? Mostly looking at inflatable dalek's direction... :)

I've tried to remain unspoiled, which is much harder than I had realised.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Last stand of the wreckers is the high pint of IDWs work. Storm bringer is pretty good as well and came at an early point so
SPOILER! (select to read)
it really did seem that they may destroy cybertron to stop thunderwing
Others may not agree but Maximum Dinobots was enjoyable, although the switch in art styles is a bit messy. For interesting one-shots Spotlight Shockwave and Kup are very good, with the follow up to Kups story being the highligh to AHM - even if its only a tiny part :)

The first two arcs of Furmans stuff arent too bad if you can pick them up cheap, although the third, devastation, is a bit of a mess. However the first 2 issues of the foruth arc Revalations (Spotlights Cyclonus and Hardhead) are great - pity it goes off a cliff in the next two issues.

I enjoyed AHM #1-12 for its sheer silly scale but I dont know if I could recommend it. But for certain stay away from: Bumblebee, Megatron Origins, many of the McCarthy era Spotlights, AHM Coda, and Drift, both the series and the spotlight are bland considering he is IDWs top boy.

Hope that helps...
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

Cheers, but I'm one of the old guard. I didn't get AHM, and have selectively bought after that; Maximum Dinobots and LSOTW being the last miniseries I bothered with.

I'm looking for information what is coming after the current ongoing stops and what might interest mykind of reader. I did click the link that was in news forum thread, but it seemed to be full of spoilers. :(
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Ah, ok. Not in the know well enough to help you so.

:(
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Osku wrote:I'm looking for information what is coming after the current ongoing stops and what might interest mykind of reader. I did click the link that was in news forum thread, but it seemed to be full of spoilers. :(
Without spoiling anything, after Costa's run ends in December we'll have two ongoings. One will be written by John Barber and will show the fallout from Chaos on Cybertron and the Transformers who stay there. The other is by Roberts and Roche, and focuses on a small crew who go off to have adventures in outer space. Each book is supposed to be more or less self-contained, so you should be able to follow one and not the other if you want to.

We know who some of the lead characters will be in both series, but I don't know if that counts as 'spoilers' to you or not. :)
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Wait, the ongoing is going to be split into two different sets of ongoings?

I thought it'll be renamed as 'More than Meets the Eye', and 'Robots in Disguise' is about the RID franchise. Silly me.

Still, John Barber is a very meticulous about continuity, while Rocharts is Rocharts. I still have hope for IDW, even if Chaos is, well, falling into chaos.
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

Denyer wrote:It's not too spoilery --

http://www.allspark.com/content/view/9576/
This had the info I wanted. Thanks.

Not exactly thrilled about the core cast for "More Than Meets the Eye" and the premise for the series sounds... well awfully generic.
His objective in this endeavor is to find the Knights of Cybertron, a group of ancient Cybertronians said to have been charged with the task of guarding the secrets of the original Cybertronian culture.
Anyway, I'll give it a chance.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Part of the problem is that TF has fallen into the same patterns as most other comics -- everything is now variations on well-worn themes.

Good writers will still get my attention, even on titles such as Bat-books, and Roberts certainly has a few good stories in him.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I can take the repeated stories if there's something a little different in the characterisation... Roberts has breathed life into a lot of characters, a real change from the "Best of ME" Furman characterisations IDW have given us.
Neuronutter
Protoform

Post by Neuronutter »

Red Dave Prime wrote:Last stand of the wreckers is the high point of IDWs work. Storm bringer is pretty good as well and came at an early point so
it really did seem that they may destroy cybertron to stop thunderwing
Others may not agree but Maximum Dinobots was enjoyable, although the switch in art styles is a bit messy. For interesting one-shots Spotlight Shockwave and Kup are very good, with the follow up to Kups story being the highligh to AHM - even if its only a tiny part :)
I'll echo all of the above. I'd recommend most of Furman's run, even if just to set the background, and some of it- Escalation, Stormbringer, Spotlights Shockwave, Ultra Magnus and Kup (by Roche) - are great. And yes, Last Stand really is the highpoint of IDWs run.

Also, I've recently changed my mind about Maximum Dinobots. At first I really disliked it, then I reread it and enjoyed it. Not the best of his run, but fun nonetheless.
Red Dave Prime wrote: I enjoyed AHM #1-12 for its sheer silly scale but I dont know if I could recommend it. But for certain stay away from: Bumblebee, Megatron Origins, many of the McCarthy era Spotlights, AHM Coda, and Drift, both the series and the spotlight are bland considering he is IDWs top boy.

Hope that helps...
I'd skip AHM if possible, or just enjoy it for what it is. Skip Megatron Origins, as it's terrible, though I found Drift to be better than expected. Sure, my expectations were low but I actually enjoyed it. Heh! IDW's top boy? Costa or McCarthy? Not sure either are.

I'm hoping, after the sudden cessation of Furman's run, the awful AHM, the go-nowhere Costa run, that we may get something new between RID and MTMTE. Roberts previous issues gives me faith his stories will be good, and hopefully, Barber will give us something else new with his.

How were Barber's movie comics? I skipped them waiting for the hardcover movie book.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Neuronutter wrote: I'd skip AHM if possible, or just enjoy it for what it is.
Emergency toilet paper?
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!