Cbr Files

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Red Dave Prime

Cbr Files

Post by Red Dave Prime »

A quick question to some of you more "in-the-know" people.

I have a fairly large and mostly unwieldy collection of pretty much all of IDWs gen 1 comics. I only missed 3 issues (spotlights Jazz and Kup, Heart of Darkness 2) and picked up those issues as cbr files. (I since got Kup through an online supplier but the other 2 didn't warrant it). Anyway, a while back I picked up an Asus Ee-pad and found I could view the cbr files through several programs (picture viewer worked best)

I now have LSOTW 1-5, Stormbringer 1-4 & AHM 1-12 on it and I really like the handiness of it all. So much so I've begun collecting many of the current issues of MTMTE and RID.

So 2 questions -

1) I own physical copies of everything I've downloaded with the exception of the two issues I mentioned above. Does this allow me to have cbr files of those issues in my possession? (in the same manner that owning an n64 cart somewhat allows you to have a ROM file of the same game) Like most of you I assume, I would like to be able to have the physical collection and a cbr back up.

2) In terms of buying future issues through IDW can I play those issues through a program like Picture Viewer or do I need to have a specific app? I like that I can store the bulk of the comics on my laptop while only taking what I want on the tablet so I'm not so keen on buying a file which is locked to a single app or machine.

It's not just transformers - I now have a lot of cbr copies of many of my other books - Preacher, Many Batmans and Watchmen etc. It's great being able to carry an extensive collection with me when I go abroad.

Cheers lots for any advice/ feedback.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

1) No. Morally clear as far as most people are concerned, but it's still copyright infringement. The ROMs/cartridge thing isn't valid either -- provided you have permission to copy them you can do it yourself but it's still not legally okay to just download.

2) Locked AFAIK, with an emphasis on viewing via a website interface. They'd be better off selling PDFs or CBRs (with a customer watermark or page insert, gently nudging people in the direction of responsible behaviour.)

Although a lot of us will do the right thing and download stuff we've otherwise bought, or dip into scans as a taster occasionally, few publishers seem to be wising up to a) the fact that the material's already available for anyone who wants it, and b) the process for acquiring and using stuff legitimately needs to be at least as convenient than the alternatives.

I'd buy far more stuff digitally if DRM-free and sensibly priced; there are series I have a bit of interest in, but not enough to waste shelf space on (and some of those series are from IDW.) The only reason I get stuff from places such as Amazon is because the DRM is easily stripped off in order to use content with different devices.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Double buggers then. A pity, because for some of the weaker titles, as you say, I dont want the physical copy but I might try for a cheap file. Needing an online status is also problematic.

Cant say it will stop me. I use my own morality for this kind of thing - and considering how much IDW have made of me over the years I dont feel bad for having a file of something I've already bought.

Still, much thanks for the clarification.
relak
Protoform

Post by relak »

Denyer wrote:1) No. Morally clear as far as most people are concerned, but it's still copyright infringement. The ROMs/cartridge thing isn't valid either -- provided you have permission to copy them you can do it yourself but it's still not legally okay to just download.

2) Locked AFAIK, with an emphasis on viewing via a website interface. They'd be better off selling PDFs or CBRs (with a customer watermark or page insert, gently nudging people in the direction of responsible behaviour.)

Although a lot of us will do the right thing and download stuff we've otherwise bought, or dip into scans as a taster occasionally, few publishers seem to be wising up to a) the fact that the material's already available for anyone who wants it, and b) the process for acquiring and using stuff legitimately needs to be at least as convenient than the alternatives.

I'd buy far more stuff digitally if DRM-free and sensibly priced; there are series I have a bit of interest in, but not enough to waste shelf space on (and some of those series are from IDW.) The only reason I get stuff from places such as Amazon is because the DRM is easily stripped off in order to use content with different devices.
But i thought if you owned the original copy of a DVD, its ok to have a digital back up copy?
That doesnt apply to comics?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

It's generally accepted (i.e de facto, not a legal position) that software permits backups of original media. DVDs, nope, although copyright owners would have to be mad to go after people using, for example, a media PC to store their films whilst having purchased a licensed copy of the content. Strictly speaking, there isn't a right to transcode CDs to MP3 either... although over here, at least, music publishers have gone on the record as accepting that it's fine for personal use if you own the discs.
Red Dave Prime wrote:Needing an online status is also problematic.
Check that -- it was a while since I looked, and not all of the services are necessarily the same.