Other Other Shows with Sentient Mechs as Protagonists

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Cycotron
Protoform

Other Other Shows with Sentient Mechs as Protagonists

Post by Cycotron »

I really love the robots with attitude premise of TF; I think its the perfect and logical conclusion to the evolution of the giant robot in animation and comics, from remote controlled (Gigantor), piloted (Mazinger Z) and sentient (the early Lightan series and TF).

Anyone of you kind and noble souls in this forum recommend other shows of this type? Thanks
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Well, there's Gobots, but it's rubbish. Or Machine Robo, but that's rubbish too, just in a pretentious, artsy way.
Cycotron
Protoform

Post by Cycotron »

Cliffjumper wrote:Well, there's Gobots, but it's rubbish. Or Machine Robo, but that's rubbish too, just in a pretentious, artsy way.
well thanks Cliff for that bit of info though I know those already, it's depressing but there isn't a lot of sentient mecha shows, most are mecha shows piloted by annoying human characters. I really don't care much for the petty issues of puny mortals of flesh and blood. I want giant robots in the spotlight. Gobots is fair enough though it has these stupid transformations and crappy stories. At least there's still Gaogaigar (but I have to sift through 20 plus shit episodes to get to the good stuff). Machine Robo, I definitely need to check out if it's any good :D
relak
Protoform

Post by relak »

How about...........

Bot-Master. haha.

Mighty Orbots

SD Gundam Force

Now that i think of it, there arent many.
Cycotron
Protoform

Post by Cycotron »

relak wrote:How about...........

Bot-Master. haha.

Mighty Orbots

SD Gundam Force

Now that i think of it, there arent many.
are you ****ing kidding me :lol:

lemme see, the robots in bot-master aren't mecha and i really don't like homegrown bots, I want my giant robots to have originated from another planet, that kinda adds to the mystery, know what i'm saying? so they're not applicable which leave us with the last two you mentioned;

Mighty Orbots - holy shit! this has the feel of those Super Friends early 70's - 80's cartoons, as a kid I would've enjoyed the shit out of this but now as a 30+ geek, I want something more substantial and deep in my animated show

SD Gundam Force - another show for children, well, at least the robot designs are cute

Well Relak, tnx
relak
Protoform

Post by relak »

Cycotron wrote:are you ****ing kidding me :lol:

lemme see, the robots in bot-master aren't mecha and i really don't like homegrown bots, I want my giant robots to have originated from another planet, that kinda adds to the mystery, know what i'm saying? so they're not applicable which leave us with the last two you mentioned;

Mighty Orbots - holy shit! this has the feel of those Super Friends early 70's - 80's cartoons, as a kid I would've enjoyed the shit out of this but now as a 30+ geek, I want something more substantial and deep in my animated show

SD Gundam Force - another show for children, well, at least the robot designs are cute

Well Relak, tnx
you didnt specify giant mecha in your starting topic.

Really, the options are limited. Im literally scraping the bottom of the barrel

The thing is in the culture.
In japan, sentient robots tend to be human form cyborgs at most. Anything bigger than a human gets piloted by a human.

In USA, talking sentient robots are regarded in the same vein as talking sentient animals.
Hence the tendency to make them kiddish.

Here's one
its an anime called "ARGENTO SOMA". It's not focused on Sentient Mechs like Transformers , but one of the main characters is a Sentient alien Mech.

http://thexamtaroshowvault.blogspot.sg/ ... eview.html

THen theres this movie called "The Iron Giant". IT's awesome
Cycotron
Protoform

Post by Cycotron »

thnxz bro, i love Frank's old-school design, kind of reminds me of those mechs in Saber Rider ;)
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

The multiple sentient robot angle really is something that's largely unique to TFs, and it's one of the few genuine innovations of the mythos - that blend of GI Joe and mecha shows. While it was/is less common than non-sentient robots, there are a few super robot shows that either outright depict sentience (Lightan, Daitetsujin 17) or flirt with it a bit (Ideon)

It seems to be a very Western thing on the whole, with Japanese shows still largely sticking to either the real robot or super robot templates afterwards - and there's also the curious way TFs are received in Japan, with Convoy largely the only character they care about. With most mecha shows being Japanese in origin the TF approach isn't widely used elsewhere, especially outside of the West - it's no coincidence that most of those mentioned (Bots Master, Iron Giant, CotG, Orbots) are Western in origin.

The Machine Robo series (Revenge of Cronos/Battlehackers; off the top of my head I can't remember if the robots in MRR are sentient) is an odd one. It seems to have been commissioned as a basic response to Transformers, but the studio making it seem to go out of their way to avoid genuine Machine Robo characters for the most part - the principle leads are humanoid robots who might as well be human (the hero even has a mecha-style couple of super modes) and human-type behaviours (family groups, romantic relationships, etc.) are imposed on even the more obviously robotic characters without a second thought. Worth it for the sight of Fitor as an overly-serious samurai, though.

I quite liked Bots Master when it went out, but I'm in no hurry to revisit as I'm pretty sure it was terrible really.
Cycotron
Protoform

Post by Cycotron »

Cliffjumper wrote:The multiple sentient robot angle really is something that's largely unique to TFs, and it's one of the few genuine innovations of the mythos - that blend of GI Joe and mecha shows. While it was/is less common than non-sentient robots, there are a few super robot shows that either outright depict sentience (Lightan, Daitetsujin 17) or flirt with it a bit (Ideon)

It seems to be a very Western thing on the whole, with Japanese shows still largely sticking to either the real robot or super robot templates afterwards - and there's also the curious way TFs are received in Japan, with Convoy largely the only character they care about. With most mecha shows being Japanese in origin the TF approach isn't widely used elsewhere, especially outside of the West - it's no coincidence that most of those mentioned (Bots Master, Iron Giant, CotG, Orbots) are Western in origin.

The Machine Robo series (Revenge of Cronos/Battlehackers; off the top of my head I can't remember if the robots in MRR are sentient) is an odd one. It seems to have been commissioned as a basic response to Transformers, but the studio making it seem to go out of their way to avoid genuine Machine Robo characters for the most part - the principle leads are humanoid robots who might as well be human (the hero even has a mecha-style couple of super modes) and human-type behaviours (family groups, romantic relationships, etc.) are imposed on even the more obviously robotic characters without a second thought. Worth it for the sight of Fitor as an overly-serious samurai, though.

I quite liked Bots Master when it went out, but I'm in no hurry to revisit as I'm pretty sure it was terrible really.
:clap:

very profound and insightful dude; it is something that bugs me no end why there aren't enough shows like what Transformers has to offer: a mature (well, almost, at least in the comic books) storyline, mechs with issues, etc. Perhaps, it has to do with Japanese culture that sentient mecha should be given a comedic treatment while piloted mech shows ought to be serious (some of them are almost overbearing to the point of cheesiness wtf?)
Sades

Post by Sades »

Astroboy? Does that count?

Hound says no, but he's automatically wrong since I wear the vagina in this relationship. (please note, I am kidding. Not about the vagina bit, but about the him being wrong bit. Though he is. [:p])

I googled "Sentient Mecha" and came up with this thread from an anime forum.

I added the word "Anime" to my search and came up with this list, which seems to be mostly piloted mech animes, though I can't speak for the ones I haven't seen/know a bit about.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
relak
Protoform

Post by relak »

Both lists show only semi-sentient mecha.

Eg: Mecha that are still piloted by humans but are capable of limited independent action or seem to "have a mind of their own".
Kinda like Evangelion where the mechs are primarily piloted by kids but in dire situations, the mech's sentience takes over.

This actually corresponds more some asian culture beliefs that everything, be it natural or artificial, can bear within it a "spirit". PArticularly this spirit in the machine will want to protect it's pilot rather be in complete control.
The most similar comparison would be how westerners treat sports cars as if they had a "soul" of their own.

However i think the topic referes to completely sentient autonomous beings who walk and talk in a very human manner.

PS: That second list of "top 10 Mecha anime" by japan cinema is JUST SCREWED UP.
1) Pat Lee's art adorns the entry for "TRansformers Animated"?? LOLOLOLOl
2) How is there Robotech and Macross together??
3) That's Gundam Seed Destiny's pic but that aint it's description nor its title.

Screwed up top 10 list.
Sades

Post by Sades »

relak wrote:However i think the topic referes to completely sentient autonomous beings who walk and talk in a very human manner.
I know that's what the topic refers to. Which is why I suggested Astroboy. It's not a serious drama type show or anything, but it has a fully sentient automaton protagonist.

As for the rest- yeah, I didn't screen/care beyond the Astroboy suggestion. But I figured I'd better throw some semi-relevant crap up there, though, since I basically just came in here talking bullshit and making jokes that no one but me and Hound thinks are funny.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

You make me laugh.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

IIRC Osamu Tezuka's Metropolis has a sentient robot as the heroine.

relak wrote:How is there Robotech and Macross together??
Because the first act (or war as HG calls it now) of Robotech is the Americanized version of the original Marcoss. :p
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

oops double post.
Gouki

Post by Gouki »

Some Sentai shows use sentient mecha, but that's different again, I guess.
"Give into the Demon inside... Shun Goku Sattsu!"
relak
Protoform

Post by relak »

Cyberstrike nTo wrote:IIRC Osamu Tezuka's Metropolis has a sentient robot as the heroine.

Because the first act (or war as HG calls it now) of Robotech is the Americanized version of the original Marcoss. :p
Or rather i mean, together there on the list.

Isnt robotech season 1 and Macross THE SAME? (like you mentioned)

It's like putting Transformers Armada and Transformers Micron Legend in the same list but under different entries
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

relak wrote:Or rather i mean, together there on the list.

Isnt robotech season 1 and Macross THE SAME? (like you mentioned)

It's like putting Transformers Armada and Transformers Micron Legend in the same list but under different entries

Robotech is 3 different anime series dubbed anbd re-worked into a single series. I certianly consider it a different series than the 3 shows it's based on Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospedia.
Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

Post by Jaynz »

Sades wrote:But I figured I'd better throw some semi-relevant crap up there, though, since I basically just came in here talking bullshit and making jokes that no one but me and Hound thinks are funny.
You know, you're the reason that Hasbro's hiding Kre-O Hound. :P

And, really, I enjoyed SD Gundam. It's for kids in one sense, but there are a lot of mythology gags through the whole thing, and there are a handful of fights in it that make the Char's Counterattack battle seem absolutely tame. (Captain vs Sazabi is, really, one of the best mecha fights out there, despite the SD dimensions... holy poop.)