Transformers: Robots in Disguise Season One #1-22

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

It's a big danger used by the writers to put together all their forces in dissaray and unite against a common foe.

Stunticons, Devastator in RID and even Monstructor on the RID sidestory all attest to that.
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Yeah - but why so many gestalts? Try something different. Roberts looks to have the legislators coming in as a uniting evil, there's the galactic police as well. I just think that IDW have played the Big Strong Monster card a bit too much, even worse that its often a combiner of some type. Enough with brute strength - lets have intelligent evil being the threat for once. Here's hoping Shoclwave can be that guy.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

To be honest, that's the universal standard for uniting the heroes, isn't it? In Avengers Loki seemed to be the evil...that Iron Man, the Hulk and Thor could handle on their own, but then he brought out that huge army and the heroes had to fight together and overcome any personal differences.

It's happened in IDW as well. The Machination, the Dead Universe and the first Ark, Megatron's swarm\Devastator\European Air Force, Menasor, Megatron again, the Heart of Darkness and now Megatron\Devastator 2.0 again.

Intelligent evil is, most of the times, the root of the conflict in IDW [Megatron, Nova Prime, Shockwave], it's just that they still prefer to use muscle :lol:
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

intelligent evil is, most of the times, the root of the conflict in IDW [Megatron, Nova Prime, Shockwave], it's just that they still prefer to use muscle

Yeah, I suppose. I think the writers could try something a bit more interesting though. I dont even mind a big battle, just not another "one giant enemy against the rest" battle. A break from that would be nice. At least until Devastator 3.0.
Gouki

Post by Gouki »

Denyer wrote:Still feels like a kid's got a bunch of toys out of the play box and is bashing them against each other with some hokey narration over it all.
Welcome to the world of comics for the past 15 years.
"Give into the Demon inside... Shun Goku Sattsu!"
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I've been reading comics longer than that. In general if you stay away from cape books and licenses it's easier to find the good stuff, but Transformers can be better than this.

A hell of a lot better than this.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Do you think there maybe More than Meets the Eye to a Transformer Comic?

OH YES! I WENT THERE! I WENT THERE, BOUGHT A T-SHIRT AND FLEW BACK BUSINESS CLASS!!!!

Ahem...

Sorry...
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Now out and read...

Or as Megatron would say "I knew this comic would be poor, it was all part of my plan!".

Sigh. I've moaned before about the rubbish attempts to make Megs seem like a master chess player not by giving him carefully worked out plots but just by having him take credit for anything and everything that happens ("Who rigs every Oscar night? I do!"). But this reaches its nadir here, because if Megatron always planned for the Autobots to defeat Devastator it makes that entire, stupid looking and badly thought out series derailing idea completely pointless. If he'd just merged with Devastator himself right off the bat, he'd have won.

Metalhawk and Dirge were dicks ("Why do you want to get Megatron when all he's trying to do is genocide?"), out and out evil Starscream is less interesting than redemptive Starscream (and him wearing a crown makes no sense in terms of the humble reluctant leader he's trying to project) and the art was unusually inept for Griffiths in places- It took two reads to work out what Starscream did to Turmoil.

So what does that leave us in the plus column? There was some nice banter and Wheeljack's plan from beyond the grave was nice (but why not do that himself when there was a gun to his head?).

The highlight though was the Swindle scene, especially the fact the NAILS didn't compromise their beliefs by killing Needlenose.

Slim pickings this month though.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Well, I'm not sure where I stand on all this to be honest.

The ending is quite good - Wheeljacks little trap is decent. The Nails (finally) make a stand and its the one which suits them. Anything else would have seemed false. And Starscream - well, I just really like the Starscream angle. I know some will see it as reverting back to being "Evil" but I dont think it is. I'm hoping that Starscream will be the classic politician - doing bad deeds behind the scenes in the noble belief that he is doing it for societies greater goods (all the while keeping himself in the power and luxury he would desire). Moving on from this, I would hope he is a mostly good leader for the nails but clandestine in his background machinations. That could be an interesting adversary for for the autobots to overcome.

I also really liked the art - I've grown to like the RiD style and while I prefer the art for MTMTE, its great that there is a consistent style (mostly) to both books and that they are both different.

However...

That whole Prowl/ Devastator/ Megatron thing is just a shambles and seems to have been put in the story out of fear that readers wouldnt buy into Megatron just having a plan to retake power from the outside. The gestalts have brought nothing but a big mess to the story.

There's still too much silliness here. If the decepticons had been half as efficient as their plan was, they should have wiped out these autobots long before Ironhide showed up. Even Ironhides moment is crap - he basically talks Prowl into ripping off his head. Ironhide. Talking Prowl out of anything. Thats ridiculous right there. Of all the people who would talk Prowl out of anything Barber chooses Ironhide???

Lets not even discuss Arcee... Or Turmoil letting Starscream get not just one last word but a whole mini-speech. Couldnt he have rendered Turmoil immobile first and then granstand?

Megatron and the decepticons have also been a mess since he came back. Lacking in any real intelligent planning, the whole last few issues have done more harm than good but this issues leaves with a finish that has potential even if the issue itself isnt that great.

Please IDW. No more gestalts. I'm begging ya.
Phase Sixer
Protoform

Post by Phase Sixer »

Wow

I mean I get the story and where it was supposed to be going, but in all honesty I just dont want to read TF stories like this

I mean 16 issues to get what we got

If not for mtmte I might not even read IDW TF comics anymore

Maybe Im dumb, but I dont understand any ongoing series from IDW and what anybody is actually trying to do; Dead Universe, what was Nova's plan and why didn't he have the matrix? AHM, what exactly was the point in plowing through human civilizations? what was Megatron trying to do again? Costa's ongoing, Revenge of the Decepticons they were trying to do what? and now RID, what was Megatrons plan?

I mean come on, everything in this issue was a complete cop-out, Devastator has taken over and become "1" bot, right? but all it takes is for Ironhide to punch him the face and for Ironhide to say something for Prowl to be able to overcome and rip the head off and detach himself from devastator, really? but he has the power to rip Superion in two

and Megatron, is a complete joke, Megatron, I mean I dont know about anyone else, but I read IDW comics just for the Decepticons, like i've been waiting since 1986 for the Decepticons from the 1st 15 minutes of TF the movie to show back up and they just arent coming back

Megatron shooting Ironhide in the face while he was at his feet, sent chills down my spine as a child and its that type of Megatron and Decepticons I want to see, ruthless and merciless, not this idiot of a Megatron

I mean Barber has made Megatron into a complete dummy, trusting Arcee, when everybody already knows Arcee completely hates Jhiaxus, but yet Megatron states that he is not only working with him but in contact and Arcee knows this, but is just down with the plan, yea right

Shockwave is suspiciously absent, but yet Megatron doesnt care

Megatrons idea is to put a UNCONTROLLED Prowl in the center of Devastator, this right here just does not cut it for me, for me Megatron is to smart to do something so blatantly stupid as to leave that up to chance

Megatron says he going to kill bumblebee, but all he does is grab his face and then gives command to kill all the autobots, but yet no one is killed, I dont get it

Biggest thing of all, Megatron didnt know that Wheeljack hooked something up to his spark casing, like WTF, he changed bodies and still nobody noticed? the same Megatron that in the ongoing 15 autobots could shoot him and not make a dent, this Megatron allowed Wheeljack to hook something up to his spark casing and never knew? this Megatron, really?

in the solicts this is depicted as the "Final Battle". how??? Megatron isnt dead, the autobots only left the city, how is this the final battle, as if we dont know that Megatron is gonna somehow get out the bubble and cause more havoc once he has, then on to the next "Final Battle" huh IDW, not with my money you wont.

I mean if I want terrible TF stories, I'd just watch them, not read them
Terome

Post by Terome »

Hmm. Mrm.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Terome wrote:Hmm. Mrm.
Mm-hmm.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

I must be in the minority that actually liked this issue, eh?

I don't mind Megatron's plan; using Devastator twice may actually benefit them. Think of it; while Prowl was part of the gestalt, most Autobots would have trouble hitting the head\bot, that moment of hesitation would allow Devastator to obliterate as much as possible. Then, if and when he broke free, Megatron would just combine and finish everything off.

Wheeljack's plan was also pretty clever and the whole realization of it was well played out. And while on the subject, it'd make no sense for Wheeljack to use the code in the Black Room. Realistically, even if he incapacitated Megatron, there was Bombshell, Shockwave and Soundwave around to pick the slack, not to mention he didn't know what went on with Prowl at the moment. It would probably hinder Meg's plan for an hour? But being used right at the combination sequence, it did end things.

I'm also a bit skeptical of Ironhide talking Prowl out of Devastator, but I chalk it up to them being friends and Prowl trying to break free on his own. It just brings one question up; which part of Prowl formed the head of the gestalt? Because when he broke free, I think only his door wings were gone.

The Metalhawk\Starscream angle was a very, very good surprise. I actually felt sorry for poor Metalhawk. It made me think of Gaius Baltar from BSG in many ways, how Starscream handled the situation. And it just reinforced my thought that I despise the bot. Thundercracker and Dirge? They proved to be awesome bots beneath the con symbol. Starscream is pretty much the embodiment of the con symbol.

I do think that Barber wrote himself in a corner though, with the ending. How can it continue from here on? Starscream controls one city, Autobots live as nomads, Decepticon remnants live as outcasts.

And after the brutal and sudden battle, Streak, Jetfire and Warpath are a-ok, but the whole of Superion is scrap? Hmmmm
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

STARSCREAM IN "BETRAYS SOMEONE" SHOCKER!

I can't bring myself to hate this series, because it manages to have really nice character moments, like that Wheeljack bit, and I do genuinely want to see what happens next. King Joffrey Starscream runs the city and the Autobots and Decepticons have other adventures all over the planet. The thing is, unlike MTMTE where I'm trying to guess what every little clue is, here stuff just happens and it feels like Barber's making it up as he goes along.
I like bears.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Knightdramon wrote:I must be in the minority that actually liked this issue, eh?
It makes you special. ;)
I don't mind Megatron's plan; using Devastator twice may actually benefit them. Think of it; while Prowl was part of the gestalt, most Autobots would have trouble hitting the head\bot, that moment of hesitation would allow Devastator to obliterate as much as possible. Then, if and when he broke free, Megatron would just combine and finish everything off.
If the plan was to cause confusion with Prowl at the centre of Devastator it doesn't remotely work as everyone is just seen shooting away at him. If Megatron had just merged with them straight off (or if they'd just used any loyal Decepticon as apparently anyone can do it... or even if they had kept Prowl under mind control) he'd have won the day. Master planner my arse.
Wheeljack's plan was also pretty clever and the whole realization of it was well played out. And while on the subject, it'd make no sense for Wheeljack to use the code in the Black Room. Realistically, even if he incapacitated Megatron, there was Bombshell, Shockwave and Soundwave around to pick the slack, not to mention he didn't know what went on with Prowl at the moment. It would probably hinder Meg's plan for an hour? But being used right at the combination sequence, it did end things.
At that point, with a gun at his head, what did he have to loose? He's the only one who knows about the code after all, if he'd have been killed before Bumblebee showed up to hear his last words no one would have worked it out. As it is, with his cryptic crossword clue Bumblebee is almost painfully slow in working it out.
I'm also a bit skeptical of Ironhide talking Prowl out of Devastator, but I chalk it up to them being friends and Prowl trying to break free on his own. It just brings one question up; which part of Prowl formed the head of the gestalt? Because when he broke free, I think only his door wings were gone.
I think it would have worked better if we'd had more between them before this in the series, I'm not sure when the last time they had a proper bit of one on one interaction was (AHM? Or was there something in the Costa ongoing?) but there's been little to suggest anything that they have in RID.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
alphaads
Protoform

Post by alphaads »

It’s an Amazing!

Bus Stand Advertising
zigzagger

Transformers: Robots In Disguise #17

Post by zigzagger »

Transformers: Robots In Disguise #17 3-page preview @ iTunes.

As always, the full preview is due sometime closer to the release date. Stay tuned.

Enlarged:

Page 1: http://imageshack.us/a/img705/8500/rid17pg1.jpg
Page 2: http://imageshack.us/a/img832/7014/rid17pg2.jpg
Page 3: http://imageshack.us/a/img580/5550/rid17pg3.jpg

---

UPDATE:

The full preview is up @ Full Metal Hero.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Ah, Livio back in action - Yay!

Time for Barber to prove himself, this is his big event - hope it works out well.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

My main beef with the story is that it's going to serve as an origin story to Shockwave, when we already had a GREAT one in Shadowplay. So essentially it'll be an origin story to an origin story.

Looking forward to it, I'm very eager to see what drives Shockwave on after his wonderful part in Chaos Theory and Shadowplay.
TLB80

Post by TLB80 »

Can someone just forcibly amputate Ramondelli's hands already? On the first page, Shockwave looks like he's been cut out of another comic and glued into this one.