Comics for a non-comics kind of guy.

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Notabot

Comics for a non-comics kind of guy.

Post by Notabot »

Fathers Day, my birthday, and my anniversary are coming up soon. I'm not saying that to encourage you to get me something (though by all means feel free! :) ), but I found some comics collections on Amazon for the Kindle and wondered if they're any good. Like I said in the title, I'm not a comics person, which is why I'm posting here instead of the proper forum. Mods have mercy if you please.

If I recall, someone in a thread mentioned that it was a comic series that got them back into enjoying Transformers again. Am I remembering correctly that it was this one? Even if it wasn't, is that a decent place to start, or are there better ones someone can recommend? Low price is good, and kindle is super good since I can haul it anywhere.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

I would class myself as a part-time comic guy at best and for my money More than meets the eye has been the most enjoyable TF fiction I've viewed - be it cartoon, movie or comic. Having said that, some find it has too much humour for its own good and can also be a touch emo at times. But I would definitely recommend you give it a try.
Springer85
Protoform

Post by Springer85 »

Notabot wrote:
If I recall, someone in a thread mentioned that it was a comic series that got them back into enjoying Transformers again.
Last Stand of the Wreckers was what initially brought me back to reading TF comics and MTMTE made me stay on, because every issue has been a great read so far. :up:

You can't go wrong with MTMTE, but if you haven't read anything of the new TF comics yet, LSotW is definitely one you should pick up too. Same writer too. :)
Aspiring DJ!
Visit my channel at Soundcloud, Youtube or Facebook and let me know what you think!
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Thats a good shout out - if you can get the hardback version of Last Stand of the Wreckers its well worth it. It also seeds a lot of the plot points in MTMTE - not absolutely essential but it adds a lot.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

MTMTE TPB Volume 1
Last Stand of the Wreckers hardcover edition [has a lot of extras]
Chaos Theory 2 parter [previous ongoing, issue 22-23]

I recommend whole-heartedly. RID TPB Volume 1 as well.
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Terome

Post by Terome »

Yeah, MTMTE TPB Volume 1. If you like that, go for Last Stand Of The Wreckers and hunt down those Chaos Theory issues (half price on Comixology now, I am told). They're not necessary but they flesh out some of the ideas and plotlines in MTMTE quite nicely.
Terome

Post by Terome »

Wouldn't recommend Robots In Disguise, myself. I read it and mostly enjoy it but it has some serious problems (like the entire first story-arc not delivering on promises to be interesting).
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Chaos Theory the greatest TF story ever! The artwork is beautiful and the story through the whole arc is just great the last two issues are the two of the best stories in the history of the franchise in any media. Roberts has yet to top himself IMHO.

MTMTE it is slow as hell, and while the humor is funny (for the most parts) it's starting to show signs age and just becoming running gags. That said it really starting to get good especially after the snore fest that was Shadowland. The characterizations are great even if the action is not.

RID is fast paced and has some very good characterization for Starscream, Prowl, and Bumblebee but is juggling so many stories, characters, and themes that it basically at times forgets them or doesn't pay them off very well. The artwork is good (not great) but it gets the job done. The Orion Pax issues feel like they belong in another series.

The Last Stand of the Wreckers a decent read but it's vastly overrated. Nick Roche is a much better writer than as an artist Spotlight Megatron is the only thing he drew that didn't look like it wasn't drawn by Pat Lee trying to ape the style of Animated.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

The nice thing about the MTMTE Vol.1 trade is that it also includes the Death of Optimus Prime one-shot. This was the precusor to the two current ongoings (RID and MTMTE), setting the premise for both. It briefly recaps the 'Chaos' event from the previous ongoing as well (that's from Costa's run and should be avoided :)), bringing the reader up to speed.

Yeah, MTMTE would be my pick, too. For basically the same reasons others have already stated. It's a fun space adventure with a colorful cast. It really expands on the lore, too.

If you like it, and need a little extra background, check out Last Stand of the Wreckers and the Chaos Theory two-parter (that's issues #22 and #23 of the previous ongoing, which was also collected in Transformers: Vol. 5). While neither are essential for getting what's going on, they're referenced often -- in the books, as well as just about every MTMTE discussion thread.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Cyberstrike nTo wrote: MTMTE it is slow as hell, and while the humor is funny (for the most parts) it's starting to show signs age and just becoming running gags. That said it really starting to get good especially after the snore fest that was Shadowland. The characterizations are great even if the action is not.
:swirly: No way! Shadowplay was the greatest recent TF story EVER!!!

All kidding aside, picking up MTMTE volume 1 at least, will give you a general idea of the series and you can pick up from that if you're interested.

It's mainly Star Trek meets Transformers in the sense that they have adventures while some plot points are weaved in the background. I agree that for a while, you'd think the main story is sidetracked to infinity, but it's picking up in the last saga so far.

RID is more like Lost meets Transformers. There's plot points introduced that you can't tell at the moment, only for an issue to go back and reference a couple of panels and then you'll start getting what's going on at the time. It's NOT the political angles that the series focuses on, as promised, but it's quite a decent read and features a lot of early G1 guys (Prowl, Wheeljack, Ironhide, Starscream). MTMTE in comparison, features Magnus, Rodimus and Ratchet for the "famous guys" and tremendously builds up second tiers.
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Paul053

Post by Paul053 »

All Hail Megatron.......................... Just kidding. :p But didn't we have this thread saying it's not that bad?

As everybody pretty much said, LSOTW and MTMTE. The only part I hate about MTMTE is the ............
SPOILER! (select to read)
love story
. Well, let's not bring out another argument here.

RID is not bad if Bumblebee and Arcee didn't make you sick. I found I enjoy that series more in the later stories but you can't just read them without the beginning.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

I dont get people calling MTMTE slow. I get that the main quest got sidelined but feck me, look what we got instead. If it was only about the main quest the thing would be over in 8 issues. I much rather having a comic which has lots of subplots and is very densly detailed than something which builds quickly to a big battle and then has to reset.

Costas first few arcs and AHM - thats ****ing slow.
The Last Stand of the Wreckers a decent read but it's vastly overrated. Nick Roche is a much better writer than as an artist Spotlight Megatron is the only thing he drew that didn't look like it wasn't drawn by Pat Lee trying to ape the style of Animated.

It may be a touch overrated in regards to comics overall but I cant think of any mini series from IDW or Dreamwave that touches it. I cant say if there are any marvel stories whihc better it but from what I've read of the marvel run I kinda doubt it. LSOTW is the best example of a comic book mini - tells a story, has good characters, decent plot, mostly self contained and also has sub text. If you think one of the other minis betters it, I'd love to hear which one and more importantly why.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Cyberstrike nTo wrote:MTMTE it is slow as hell, and while the humor is funny (for the most parts) it's starting to show signs age and just becoming running gags. That said it really starting to get good especially after the snore fest that was Shadowland. The characterizations are great even if the action is not.

It's interesting to see a counterpoint to the general level of enthusiasm there is for Roberts & Roche's work.

The reason these two books stand out and have garnered such acclaim is that they are just good comics. One of the sad facts of Transformers comics over the last ten years is that they have similarly failed to match the quality of the wider comics market. I think that reason, more than any other, is why these two books have had such a good reaction. Finally! Something to match a third tier Marvel book like Thunderbolts!

Both LSOTW & MTMTE have remembered that these robots are something more than their tech spec bios and have gone to great lengths to flesh out motivations, desires and even some solid backstories for their characters. That this has been done with a slew of Transformers characters that are largely unknown and that I as a reader have been made to care deeply about these guys is a sign of quality writing.

RID may have the big name characters, but there's been nothing in that book that has matched Roberts & Roche's ability to bring some real imagination and depth to a series of comics, that frankly, had been treading water (if not outright drowning).

I'm not too sure about the Pat Lee comparrison for Roche's artwork either. Pat Lee drew badly proportioned balloony robots and couldn't give anyone a facial expression beyond 'lobotomy paitent'. Roche's work by contrast, is lively, energetic and expressive. It is quite cartoony, in comparrison to the likes of Don Fig, but I'm kind of enjoying seeing a variety of art styles in Transformers again.

In common with everyone else, I will recommend LSOTW as a primer, and yes, go for the big spiffy hardback. The extra text stories are great and there's some good extras in there too - including character profiles.

AHM is nice if you want a bit of fluff, beyond that, the only things from IDW I can recommend are Infiltration and Escalation. There isn't much else prior to the two ongoings that's worth the bother, the odd Spotlight issue aside.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

I'm not too sure about the Pat Lee comparrison for Roche's artwork either. Pat Lee drew badly proportioned balloony robots and couldn't give anyone a facial expression beyond 'lobotomy paitent'. Roche's work by contrast, is lively, energetic and expressive. It is quite cartoony, in comparrison to the likes of Don Fig, but I'm kind of enjoying seeing a variety of art styles in Transformers again.
Agree with this. I actually found the comparison to animated a little unfair as Roches has had this style before animated came about as far as I know.

As a plus, Roches style has seen the very best work from Alex Milne. Some of his stuff has been absolutely fantastic and bar the odd cluttered panel (sword in the door, you know who you are) his week shows the same movement and life that I feel is lacking from many of the more traditional artists in the IDW fold.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

As a standalone present, you really can't go wrong with the Wreckers trade (or hardback, if your loved ones really love you. Sadly mine don't. I had to buy my own). A big balls to the wall action story that works as a self contained entity whilst still leaving some feeders for future stories that you can follow up on if you enjoy it. The whole thing is basically a masterclass in fanwank done right as well.

MTMTE is certainly brilliant, but the content of the first trade is a little slim, only four issues (of which only three are from the actual series). And that's despite the fact Roberts was writing with the intent issue 6 would end the first trade. Apparently the decision to include Death of Optimus Prime there scuppered those plans, due to the international paper shortage or some such thing. Though annoyingly issue 5 would have actually worked as a climax if they'd still wanted to do a six issue book. So I'd only pick that one up cheap if I were you.

I've not really been following the trade news since then, have they upped the content to a more fair amount for the price on the follow up volumes (for both MTMTE and RID)?
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

So they got me MTMTE vol. 1, and it's awesome. I think the last comic I had read was Watchmen, and this reads a bit more easily. Go fig. I like the jokes, even though I'm sure I didn't get all of them, and the stories were pretty good. Nothing that will be considered the next American Classic, but entertaining and enjoyable. I did have a hard time keeping track of who is who since I'm not as familiar with the likes of Chromedome and such, but I'll get to know them I'm sure.

Thanks for the advice! I'm looking forward to the next volume, and I'm probably going to have to check out LSOTW and Chaos Theory now.
LKW
Protoform

Post by LKW »

I just came across this thread - glad to hear that you feel you received good advice and have enjoyed MTMTE, Notabot! (As someone who's been reading TF comics since the very beginning and has read most of what's been published, I'm about ready to declare it my favorite Transformers comic of all time.) I also would endorse most of the Furman IDW stories, though opinion on that is far less unified.

One note, though - if you do get the The Last Stand of the Wreckers (another excellent series) hardcover, as opposed to trade paperback - be sure to read the main story first. DO NOT READ THE "FOREWORD" PAGE until afterwards! - It seems to have been written with the assumption that purchasers would already have read the story in one of the earlier available formats, and so has significant spoilers by the end. (Unlike with, say, some Marvel titles, the hardcover was issued some time later than the regular TPB rather than as the first available collected format.) The hardcover does have some very interesting, texture-adding text stories added to it, so I would endorse it as a worthwhile purchase - as long as new readers (at least if they're spoiler-phobes) know to avoid that intro page...

I hope you enjoy any continued reading, and congrats, both on your milestones and on having loved ones looking to fulfill your Transformers interests!