Transformers: Dark Cybertron discussion

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Dai Atlas was at least established as a major and important character from Cybertron's history back in Drift, that coupled with the fact he's clearly a snooty bastard who looks down on everyone else means him showing up as a senator in Monstrocity but not anywhere else makes a sort of sense.

But as you say, it's not impossible for Crosscut to fit in (though he must have been on holiday during all MTMTE flashbacks), it's just when you get hammered over the head with his backstory in a scene that has nothing to do with the rest of the issue (and likely the story) the incongruity stands out a lot more.

It actually would have made more sense to have this famous champion of the people in the Tankor role last issue really wouldn't it?
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Terome

Post by Terome »

What has been said and resaid about the Senate and Starscream's killing of them all? As far as I am aware, it was originally just Kaon's politicians, then it became an emergency meeting of everywhere's politicians, then it turned out there were exceptions and there was a reduced but functional Senate for Nova Prime to shout at.

I think that the Senate weren't just corrupt but utterly incompetent. Do they even do a headcount? Most of them probably got their Senate membership free in a box of Frosties.
inflatable dalek

I think part of the problem is that the original intent back in Origin (which was of course originally pitched to Dreamwave where Starscream did, IIRC, kill all the senate) was he wiped out the entire government.

Then Autocracy retconed it so he just killed a senate for one city or something like that.

Now RID seems to have swung back to everyone being lured into a trap with Dai Atlas being the only survivor until Crosscut was lubed in.

Basically, no one seems to have any idea what is going on there.
Terome

Post by Terome »

Maybe everyone in the Senate just works part-time? At three o' clock they take off their capes and togas and go to deliver pizzas until they are pooped.

That's why Crosscut had that shovel. He was Astrotrain's coal-stoker. Oh no, it wasn't coal coal it was cy-coal. Or Co-AL. And there's nothing sexual about it.
zigzagger

Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye #26

Post by zigzagger »

Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye #26: Dark Cybertron Part 8 (of 12) full preview @ Newsarama.
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Link botched up, looks like a colon got missed. Try this
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Nifty issue.

The good? Things are finally happening. All out war on Cybertron. Bumblebee finally being likeable instead of me wanting to hit him in the head.

The better? Megatron's plan. He manages to come off as a nice guy. He wants to evacuate everybody, gather all his forces, and then launch an offensive against Shockwave. It only dawned on me how this is all-against one when he specifically said he'll call the DJD back--badass villains from MTMTE fighting alongside heroes, just in mention though, hammered the idea home.

Finally some answers as to why Metroplex was like that. And fun references with Alpha Trion and Thunderclash. Not terribly fussed or excited about the fembots, but they work okay here.

Starscream's collapsed again. This recurring catatonia when things go out of control is extremely original and has mixed feelings from me. Why would he think that the Autobots/Decepticons are with the Necrotitan?

Something fishy is going on in the dead universe. First off, as I've touched on before, why isn't Cyclonyus simply disintegrating, since he is without protection, like Hardhead? If anything, Hardhead should still be undead, so his demise makes less sense in the long run.

Not too fussed about Kup. And I'm of the belief that Pax is somewhat possessed by something evil. His words to Rodimus, as well as an upcoming cover featuring Optimus fighting a slightly darker Optimus are a big giveaway to that.

Nova continues to be a joke, much to my dismay. For a guy so hyped up as the first Prime [that we know of], for the guy that actually was so powerful and charismatic he ended a war...he surely gets sidelined by lesser "villains" a lot. Last issue he walked with the bots, showed them Kup as if they were all buddies, locked them up and was then...gone?
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
inflatable dalek

Yep, the series continues to find its feet, probably a bit too late in the day for it to help the overall quality but at least we're getting some non-terrible issues to close things out.

The main thing I liked was the Rodimus revelation and Prime's reaction. Unlike the esteemed Mr. Knightdramon I don't think there's anything funny or wrong with Pax, not only was it exactly the sort of thing I felt he would say (after all, he willingly stood down for the greater good himself), but it was the bucket of cold water to the face Rodimus needed much more than platitudes if he is going to change.

The main weakness (allowing for the fact it's too early to say if the fembots are going to be a train-wreak or not, though there doesn't seem to be enough plot for three of them, you'd almost think there are only that many because they wanted to introduce some none-Windblade ones first so as the character leading her own series wouldn't have to take the full impact of any initial negative reaction to a controversial idea) was Bumblebee's continued inept leadership.

I mean, he's a bastard, but Megatron does know a few things about fighting war and his suggestion of retreating in order to regroup and get reinforcements was an entirely sensible one (and as Cybertron's NAIL population is likely not insanely huge at this point there's no reason everyone couldn't evacuate Iacon for Luna 2 as well). Bumblebee's tactic of "Get ourselves killed under the heels of a giant zombie killing machine because it's the morally right thing to do, even though it won't actually help anyone" was just mentally ill.

It's just a shame Metroplex showing up and changing the situation mean Bumblebee is likely to be validated, with ensuing smugness despite the fact there's no way he could have factored that into his plans.

It's also only something that really stands out because of those Dawn French of the Autobots posters and as such is a slightly unfair criticism to make, but all of Megatron's talk about his original pure ideals did feel like a slightly clumsy way of foreshadowing his side switch.

Metroplex seeming ready for a fight when his brain is in his shoulder and he's supposedly used most of his energy to space bridge them there seems a bit odd as well, but hopefully next month will either subvert that final panel or explain it.

And what is going on with Kup's almost unrecognisable design? Considering the nature of Dark Cybertron it feels for all the world as if he has a new, different looking, toy out, but unless I've missed it this is not the case. If people didn't keep calling him Kup, I'd have trouble keeping track of the fact it's supposed to be him.
inflatable dalek

The come down in the lack of comments on a MTMTE issue compared to what we were getting four months ago is probably the harshest review of the whole series isn't it?
Death's Head
Protoform

Post by Death's Head »

I just...I just can't. Money's tight at the mo so comics where I'm enjoying maybe a few panels per issue are definitely out the window, especially as I'm looking askance at Marvel's Revolutionary War and thinking about buying all of those (first Marvel comics I'll have bought in nearly fifteen years!).

I'll be back on board once Dark Cybertron's out of the way. March, innit?
SMITH
Portfolio | Blog | Freelance Agent Brompton Rhodes - Guns, Girls and Gorillas!
inflatable dalek

Yep. I very nearly gave up myself a before the half way mark and I'm still not completely sure sticking was a good idea, but it is at least much more entertaining than it started out as even if the Big Plot is basically meh.
Death's Head
Protoform

Post by Death's Head »

I'm following the wiki summaries and comments threads and I keep seeing little snatches of dialogue, or certain scenes (like the stuff in the recent issue about Megatron hiding in the shadows until a dramatic moment presents itself) and I think "Oh, maybe I should have stuck with it". Then I read the rest of the summary in which absolutely nothing seems to happen (how many months is it now that everyone's just been staring up at the "necrotitan" and not actually doing anything?) and I just think "sod it".

Never mind, new Death's Head soon! Drawn by Nick Roche (yay!) Written by Dan Abnett (hmm. Wonder how poor old Furman feels about that? I get the impression that poor man needs a giant bloody hug.).
SMITH
Portfolio | Blog | Freelance Agent Brompton Rhodes - Guns, Girls and Gorillas!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

inflatable dalek wrote:The come down in the lack of comments on a MTMTE issue compared to what we were getting four months ago is probably the harshest review of the whole series isn't it?
Just busy mainly. Enjoyed this one more than most issues so far.

Bumblebee/Goldbug/whatever has been so thoroughly ****ed as a character so far (not specifically in Dark Cybertron) it'd be kinder to off him.
Kungfu Dinobot

Post by Kungfu Dinobot »

Denyer wrote:Just busy mainly. Enjoyed this one more than most issues so far.

Bumblebee/Goldbug/whatever has been so thoroughly ****ed as a character so far (not specifically in Dark Cybertron) it'd be kinder to off him.

I don't know about you, but I think Hasbro just wants to rub salt in the readers' collective wounds. Not like they like Hasbro all that much to begin with, I guess it's just a case of trading punches.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

I think they're trying to write Bumblebee as meaning well but flawed, make him more "human" than the never wrong Optimus.

But they're failing. It's not like the little guy isn't trying either.

He's been constantly undermined for the past 2-5 years, by Prowl, by Magnus, by Rodimus, even by Prime.

And being so small and timid, he's always cautious of somebody trying to undermine his leadership. He can't really take it if it's Megatron :lol:

Of all the Autobot high command, he's the one that has suffered most in comparison.

Prime/Pax is the paragon of justice. Most Autobots and even some Decepticons can't get enough of him.
Magnus is possibly the strongest Autobot, he's feared and respected in equal measures.
Prowl is a badass on his own right WHEN he fights, but he's not very high on the popularity meter. He doesn't give a damn about it though.
Rodimus is maybe a little less strong than Prowl, but he has a way of swaying the crowd even though he just wings it 99% of the time.

...and Bumblebee is weaker than regular bots, can't handle pressure, can't handle leadership posts and his opponents don't respect him at all. So...yay.
Terome

Post by Terome »

I read it but don't have much to say beyond the approval of the Megatron bit and the telling off of Rodimus. Nice, understated intro for Windblade & co. and some effective hints about Alpha Trion. Death's Head is right on the 'couple of panels per issue' ratio. The preview for the next issue looks like something will happen maybe:

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-new ... ew-179252/

Mostly I've been pondering that bit in #13's Signal To Noise where Tailgate says that Cyclonus is a multi-billionaire because of his real estate investments. How on earth does that work?
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Terome wrote:I read it but don't have much to say beyond the approval of the Megatron bit and the telling off of Rodimus. Nice, understated intro for Windblade & co. and some effective hints about Alpha Trion. Death's Head is right on the 'couple of panels per issue' ratio. The preview for the next issue looks like something will happen maybe:

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-new ... ew-179252/

Mostly I've been pondering that bit in #13's Signal To Noise where Tailgate says that Cyclonus is a multi-billionaire because of his real estate investments. How on earth does that work?
Yeah, definitely looks like something will actually happen. Of course, the rest of the issue after those preview pages could just be Pax and Nova sitting in the Dead Universe, having a spirited debate over where to build a new on-ramp or something.

As for the real estate investments, I figure it's sort of like that Futurama episode where Fry discovers he's a billionaire because of the interest his bank account picked up while he was frozen for 1000 years.
Cyclonus was missing (but not officially dead, atleast for any sort of record keeping purposes on Cybertron, I would assume) for a couple of million years. Think of all the shanix in interest he'd have accrued.
zigzagger

Transformers: Robots In Disguise #26

Post by zigzagger »

Transformers: Robots In Disguise #26: Dark Cybertron Part 9 (of 12) full preview @ Newsarama.
inflatable dalek

Though all that depends on the Cybertronian Banking system surviving millions upon millions of years of war. Which would make the person in charge of it more efficient than Gordon Brown.

How big is Iacon supposed to be anyway? Considering that, in fiction, it can't be more than a week (and that's being generous and assuming it took a few days for all the kicked out Transformers to get their shit together and leave the city) since Prowlestator was dry humping the place, so there can't be that much left to destroy, so why is there enough time for everyone to stop for a chat whilst he's supposedly raining death down upon them?
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

It's been a day after Megatron's rampage.

Unless days passed in Dark Cybertron [which, I doubt], the timeline is like this...

Megatron's master plan comes to fruition at night

It's all done by very early dawn [Starscream casting out his symbol and all the combatants in the wilderness]

That day passes

Next morning comes in much earlier thanks to Shockwave's plan.

Dark Cybertron envelops.

So yeah, not much time has passed.