The Thirty Greatest Transformers Characters! [#1 revealed!]

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

I mentioned which version I meant. I don't care much about OP, but Marvel's Powermaster clone copied from floppy disc, fused with an organic lifeform, disintegrated by Swarm and reassembled again OP is a different thing. ;)
Sades

Post by Sades »

Warcry wrote:I'm at work right now so I don't have the actual data in front of me, but a solid majority went for the full thirty. A good number of those seemed to run out of steam for the last five or so though, resulting in a lot of folks either giving up on the explanation side of things entirely or filling their last couple spots with admitted joke characters (no Wildfly votes, though :( ).
FYI, I was 100% serious when I voted for Roller.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Cliffjumper wrote:I found it tricky from the point of view that the more TF media we get - especially G1 - the more likely it is that a character's going to be either done until everyone hates them (Grimlock), get stupid characterisation (Scorponok) or get tethered to an abysmal story (Nightbeat, Sunstreaker).
Really? I actually felt sort of the opposite. As the amount of fiction has grown, I find that characters who ten years ago really would have stood out are now looking like just one among many. There are so many characters in the "interesting but not super-important" category that guys like Nightbeat or Scorponok or Bludgeon, who definitely would have made a list like this in 2002, are lost among a sea of guys like Knock Out, Chromedome, Sentinel Prime, Hot Shot, Vector Prime, etc. Just having a personality isn't enough to make someone a shoe-in for me anymore.

The ones that I rated highest were characters who've had a sustained, enduring focus on them for long stretches of time. Inevitably that led to lots of BW characters and one or two Prime ones because of those shows' narrow casts, alongside old standbys like Prime, Starscream, Soundwave, etc.
Cliffjumper wrote:I'm not going to vote for Ratchet in case this gets misconstrued as admitting Infiltration exists.
:lol:

My vote for Ratchet was mainly due to the Prime version, if that makes you feel better.
Sades wrote:FYI, I was 100% serious when I voted for Roller.
He's actually a character in the comics now, so I'll just pretend you were voting for that. :)
Sades

Post by Sades »

Warcry wrote:

He's actually a character in the comics now, so I'll just pretend you were voting for that. :)
Ugh, that's what Hound told me last night. I was like "Ah, shit." :p

But... I meant cartoon Roller... c'mon, he was awesome. And INDESTRUCTIBLE!
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Sades wrote:And INDESTRUCTIBLE!
So was everyone in the cartoon until the film. At which point Roller becomes a mindless corpse floating in subspace in a huge metal tomb.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Cliffjumper wrote:So was everyone in the cartoon until the film. At which point Roller becomes a mindless corpse floating in subspace in a huge metal tomb.
Which is pretty cool, amirite?
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Warcry wrote:Especially since the mysterious all-Flywheels ballots that we've gotten might skew the results a tad if people don't counterbalance it with votes for proper characters...
Oh shush. It's not like it was ALL Flywheels. It was 29 Flywheelses and Beast Wars Megs.

Alright I did that three times, but at least I sent in a proper one as well.

Which Firecon did I include? I forget.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Surely any vote for non IDW Roller should automatically be counted as a vote for Optimus Prime as G1 Roller is officially... his penis or something. One third of his mind anyway.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Clay

Post by Clay »

I still need to submit a vote.
Consecrated Prime

Post by Consecrated Prime »

Warcry wrote:(no Wildfly votes, though :( ).
*cough, cough* :glance:
LKW
Protoform

Post by LKW »

I had a bad headache last night, when I'd planned to finish this - finalizing my order and writing my rationales right now. Hope I can make it in in time (it's still February until I go to sleep, right?)
tahukanuva
Custom Title: Human After All

Post by tahukanuva »

Submitted mine a bit ago. I sorta lazied out towards the end (and only made it to 20, since most of my favorites are multiple Starscreams/Optimus's/etc that I lumped together) but I hope I at least made it a fun read.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Brendocon 2.0 wrote:Which Firecon did I include? I forget.
You picked the right one, don't you worry.
Consecrated Prime wrote:*cough, cough* :glance:
Really? Good man! I'd shake your hand but you probably live in a different country.
LKW wrote:I had a bad headache last night, when I'd planned to finish this - finalizing my order and writing my rationales right now. Hope I can make it in in time (it's still February until I go to sleep, right?)
I won't shut it down until I get up tomorrow, which probably gives you (and anyone else still thinking of doing it) another ten or twelve hours. :)
LKW
Protoform

Post by LKW »

Thank you, sir - that's a relief to know :clap: >Back to plugging away<
inflatable dalek

Cliffjumper wrote:I found it tricky from the point of view that the more TF media we get - especially G1 - the more likely it is that a character's going to be either done until everyone hates them (Grimlock), get stupid characterisation (Scorponok) or get tethered to an abysmal story (Nightbeat, Sunstreaker). I'm not going to vote for Ratchet in case this gets misconstrued as admitting Infiltration exists.
Yeah, a couple of mine (shockwave) would have placed much higher if the stories where they'd been handled badly hadn't started to outweigh the ones where they'd been done good. Generally though I went with "Well, I really do love Prowl enough to forgive the whole Prowlestator thing".

Though you realise your Throtlebots vote will be mainly for that episode of Headmasters where a meteorite makes them jive to death?

Looking back, I was surprised how many of times my reason given was a variation on the character being "Sensible/pragmatic/practical", I voted like a Granddad. :(
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Warcry wrote:(no Wildfly votes, though :( )
Didn't I vote a Wildfly too? Or did I swap it out for a different joke vote?
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Cliffjumper wrote:That'll be the one that's three words long and still has the massive sig turned on then.
Cute. real cute Cliffjumper. :p
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

If anyone is still looking to fill this out, you've got about half an hour before I shut it down. :)
Blackjack wrote:Didn't I vote a Wildfly too? Or did I swap it out for a different joke vote?
No, but you insulted the poor guy in your vote for Misfire or someone.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Warcry wrote:No, but you insulted the poor guy in your vote for Misfire or someone.
Totally sounds like what I would do, yeah. :p
inflatable dalek

The results are in, and contain some complete surprises.

And an almost complete absence of Throtlebots.

Watch this space over the next few months...