[UK convention/other meetups]

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Staz did the cover art for those issues, the poster's signed Wildman.

Is that a Scandal album? I've got singles for Hello Scandal, Doll and Sakura Goodbye but wasn't as struck with later stuff. Purely based on the instruments and vocal tones though, I can't even order food in Japanese.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

For years I'd somehow gotten it into my head the poster was Geoff Senior despite it clearly not being him.

The most interesting thing for me about the JPop conversation (well, beyond Ryan admitting his favourite band had 47 schoolgirls in it. Which was as much of an open goal as the first think I heard when I walked in late to the Japanese Artist panel being Hydra--I think that's his online name right?--going "And then I found out her real age") was how surprisingly difficult it is to get CD's from there.

Though I'm sure my discussion on the half arsed and inconsistent naming policy of Knight Rider episodes was just as fascinating (seriously, some weeks they'll stick "Knight" into any old phrase regardless of whether it makes sense or not, other times they forget. How can you not call the episode about Michael Knight's birthday Birthday Knight if you're going to call the one about horse racing Knight by a Nose?).
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Ryan F

Post by Ryan F »

Denyer wrote:Staz did the cover art for those issues, the poster's signed Wildman.

Is that a Scandal album? I've got singles for Hello Scandal, Doll and Sakura Goodbye but wasn't as struck with later stuff. Purely based on the instruments and vocal tones though, I can't even order food in Japanese.
Yeah, it's the humourously titled 'Baby Action'.
inflatable dalek

TFNation (for which I guess we might start a new thread?) formally announced as 19-21 of August next year:

http://tfnation.com/
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Can't we call this one "UK convention (and other?) meetups" or something?
inflatable dalek

Oh sure, I was just thinking as it's now such a big thread and a few years old it would be easier for people to go straight to the info on the new convention with a fresh start.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Give me a minute, will force a post to the beginning of the thread you can edit with info...

edit: If I've missed anything, go for it.
inflatable dalek

I started editing the place holder post, but took so long doing it you may have added stuff yourself. So if I've missed out anything from your version...

Slap me.
inflatable dalek

We've now had an announcement of the main people behind the new con, unsurprisingly with some familiar faces in there, though there's at least a couple of new (to me, though obviously photo guy has been taking pics at the last two events) people in there to hopefully bring in some new ideas as well:

http://tfnation.com/the-crew.html

I think the two most important hold overs are Billy (as he seems to have handled the Hilton side of things so that's a well established working relationship) and Tori (as the guest liaison for the same reason).
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Aw please----so besides the photographer, it's the same AA people as ever, without the main guy.

So probably pretty much same old, same old, just rebranded.

Keen to see how much of a difference the absence of one guy can make.
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
inflatable dalek

The "David R" fellow isn't know to me either, was he on the previous team?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

This year went well, the only slight hiccup was which rooms were picked for certain panels. And a certain amount of food poisoning that might be attributable to the Hilton's tendency to serve burgers that look like meatballs and probably don't cook through.
Ryan F

Post by Ryan F »

Oh wow, Paul Eiding (voice of G1 Perceptor) confirmed for TF Nation. Bit of a coup, that.
inflatable dalek

The website is still annoyingly basic (though apparently it's going to be revamped when tickets go on sale in January), but prices for TFN tickets have gone on twitter:

https://twitter.com/tfnationltd/status/ ... 0500171780

Basically the same as AA.

Guido Guidi was announced as a guest a few weeks ago as well, which is nice as he's the last major contributor to Last Stand of the Wreckers to have not signed my hardback (stupidly I forgot to take it with me to the Bob Budiansky event he was at last year).

Interestingly Roll Out Roll Call has been announced as July (which feels closers to the Birmingham convention than the previous October setting, though apparently it actually still works out as six weeks apart) and has moved to London. I don't know if its just a case that they booked a venue and decided to step up the scale in that gap between AA being declared over and the announcement of TFN or if they're just taking advantage of being the known quantity, but it does create the feeling of a duelling conventions situation.

http://www.allthecoolstuff.co.uk/ROLL-O ... 0-241.aspx

With it being in London now I might try and get to RORC for at least a day, though as I'm lazy the con outside my house is always going to be more of a goer.
inflatable dalek

The TFNation website is apparently both being fully updated and putting tickets on sale noon this coming Friday, alongside the chance to reserve rooms at the following prices:

With registration for TFNation 2016 opening at noon on Friday 15th January now is the perfect time to reveal our discounted hotel room rate and also to remind you of some features that are included within your ticket price.

What Is Included In Your Ticket Price?

Whether you buy a ticket that lasts for the full weekend, or just for the Sunday, there is plenty to see and do at TFNation. This is what your ticket entitles you to;

1. Free access to autograph sessions
2. Free access to panels and workshops
3. Free access to our dealer room
4. Buying a TFNation ticket also means you qualify to reserve a hotel room at a reduced rate (subject to availability)
(access to all areas is subject to maximum room capacity, for safey reasons.)
Convention Rate Hotel Rooms

The Hilton Birmingham Metropole (or as we like to call it - The Hilton Metroplex) ... has kindly offered the following discounted rates to TFNation attendees;
- £59.00 Single Deluxe room, including complimentary breakfast.
- £68.00 Twin / Queen room, including complimentary breakfast.
Prices start from £98.00 Family room, including complimentary breakfast.
(executive class rooms also available at an additional charge)
All rates are nightly and all include VAT.

As a first year convention our bedroom allocation is limited, so we strongly advise you to book early to avoid disappointment. If your chosen stay appears to be unavailable, it may just mean one room type on one day is full - try different combinations of nights and room types for the best chance of securing accommodation at the event.
We will be monitoring room sales closely and will be providing information about nearby alternatives, should our allocation sell out quickly.

New Website Incoming

Not only are both ticket registration and hotel bookings available from 12pm (GMT) Friday but we are also launching a brand new convention website. The new site will enable you to follow our transmissions, book tickets using our secure booking process and find out more information about our guests as well as the fantastic hotel facilities that residents will have access to.

Thank you for your support. We look forward to welcoming you to our new website this coming Friday!
Room were a bit of a nightmare last year for AA, so if they're being offered less as a first time con it might be worth trying to get in there quickly if you want to stay at the actual hotel (though there's no shortage of other options at the NEC, including the new hotel at resort world).
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

If I can convince my buddy to go I may well smooch up to Brum for the weekend, if only to get drunk and... well, get drunk really
inflatable dalek

Good news: The website itself is nice and easy to use.

The bad is it looks as if rooms, especially on the Sunday, are going quick. I've got the single £59 one for Friday and Saturday, but will be staying in the Queen room for the third.
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

got a ticket and a room from Thursday to Sunday. Oddly hyped though that's probably because I'm going to sneak off into Brum for the time in 15 years on one of the days
Ryan F

Post by Ryan F »

I managed to book okay but was a bit late, so I settled for a family room for all three nights. On the plus side, I'm happy to host a room party in my expensive, oversized lodgings; definitely going to bring my own booze this year because the hotel bar is a bit of a rip-off.
inflatable dalek

Orgy Party in Ryan's room!