Transformers: More than Meets the Eye season two discussion

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

inflatable dalek wrote:Though if Hasbro really are going to push for greater synergy between toys and everything a lot of the appeal may go from working on the book. Imagine trying to work Megatron now being Galvatron's headmaster into the series.
Easy. The "Megatron" on the Lost Light is actually a shadowplayed and body gloved Dominus Ambus. The real Megatron used his mass shifting capabilities to escape unnoticed at the end of Dark Cybertron, before being reformatted into a Headmaster for a "Galvatron" drone body. Megatron is now operating "undercover", leading the Decepticon forces on Earth. All the clues are there: a reminder of Megatron's mass shifting capabilities during the ALL adventure, and a pre-Megatron-Galvatron being shown to be incredibly opposed to binary bonding my slaughtering all those he can in an old RID issue (oh, the irony!). Obvious really, when you look at it! :lol:
Wreck and Rule!
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Good lord, R & R you sexy beast I love those ideas. But Dominus & Rewind arrived back on Cybertron once the war was underway, yes? And Megatron has already experienced an amount of shadowplay thanks to Trepan.

There could be a swathe of interesting stories that have been erased that he could come upon if they find some Institute floppy disks lying around. Eh, Chromedome?

I know you're joking, but cool ideas all the same! :)
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

At this point, I'd have hoped the people upstairs have realised MTMTE is.only selling because your boy J-Robz has been allowed to do his own thing.

He did say 100 issues at the start, and he has presumably finished work on 50? So maybe it's just that.
I like bears.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Doesn't that Roberts quote just indicate he has begun work on the post fifty issues of mtmte and there has only 40 or so issues to go while 50+ are already done?

Edit: So yeah, what summerhayes wrote and I neglected to read. Silly red Dave...
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

And there's all the great stuff around it, too. The next few months should be ace with this, Sins of the Wreckers AND a MTMTE Christmas special!

Or maybe the Christmas issue is just a slightly fatter edition of regular MTMTE (I'm not really sure). Should be fun, though.

And that Star Wars film!

Christmas 2015 with Transformers and Star Wars at the tops of their game, eh? Whod've thought that back when we were kids playing with someone else's Thundercracker in the playground. Oo-er! :smokin:
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

I always wanted to play with my friend's Claptrap but she got Arcee so I went home and mucked about with my Rodimus.
I like bears.
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Just be sure you don't touch the Hotspot at Lightspeed, or there'll be Jazz all over the place.
Auntie Slag

How they made the photo.

Post by Auntie Slag »

I was over at Transmasters UK and a post by Phillip Ayres in their MTMTE thread had this link about how the Scavengers photo at the bottom of Page 1 was made. All thanks to that chap Maz, who posts here a lot :)

The lengths they went to, especially for Crankcase!
zigzagger

Transformers: More than Meets the Eye #46

Post by zigzagger »

Transformers: More than Meets the Eye #46 three-page preview by way of iTunes.

Full issue is due November 4.
Attachments
mtmte 46 page3.jpg
mtmte 46 page2.jpg
mtmte 46 page1.jpg
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Those Autopedia entries are fantastic. Interpretive dance, Scowlex, the whole single-handedly bit... great stuff. I hope the we get more fleshed out version in a trade, like the ones from the LSOTW Hardcover
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

More Scavengers and Wreckers; November is going to be a fun month.

But yeah, I'd totally be all for replacing Swerve's recap with an Autopedia entry. Plus, it'd feel like a sort of quasi-callback to the Marvel days of old, when we'd get a profile or three at the end of each issue.
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

This isn't linked to anything; I saw this page for a 3rd party Tailgate here. These toy makers have really gone to town replicating MTMTE Cyclonus and Tailgate! His great sword. Little bits you can swap out so you can replicate Tailgate's panicky eyes from one or two issues. Even a spare Cyclonus horn! Its ace :)
Terome

More Than Meets the Eye #46

Post by Terome »

Kicking this off to say it was a fantastic issue. Nice and dense, builds Max up as a credible foe, gives the Scavengers a greater and more interesting purpose, introduces us to some new horrors and even lets the penny drop on the Big Plot - looks like Rodimus' new map is going to lead the Lost Light straight to the baddies.

I like how Krok, who was a complete bastard in the last issue, is given a redemptive turn without absolving him of all sin. The message is more heavy-handed than I'd like but the recent fuss shows that sometimes you do have to spell these things out for the audience.

The colouring was a bit off somehow (we have a raft of credited inkers) and I'm a little bit bothered by how the horses would not have fit in those Roboid boxes and as stale as the Wikipedia joke was, it did at least have a clever payoff.

This week in Brand Synergy: Cerebros has been hanging out on Luna-1 the whole time! Though if there are going to make Max a Headmaster again then there is the intriguing set-up that his head is also going to be a trained counselor and might help with his very severe case of PTSD.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Subverted expectations for teh win.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Terome wrote:I'm a little bit bothered by how the horses would not have fit in those Roboid boxes
Some assembly required?

As I don't think we wound up discussing it in the forum for context the last issue caused a controversy (albeit a very small one) on twitter and social media places I'm too old and uncool to know much about because of the "Should we sell Grimlock?" thing, which they claimed was a deplorable and evil treatment of the mentally ill and caused all sorts of angry blog post and tweets (though I think Roberts mentioned on his return that his brief absence from twitter was mainly a coincidence).

Now, this isn't the sort of thing you want to belittle or make fun of because there is a serious problem with the depiction of mental illness (and disability in general) in fiction, so for the most part if this was a grabbing of the wrong end of the stick it's because it's a subject where people usually get beaten with the stick. Though how regular readers--including those who love MTMTE enough to have MTMTE themed twitter names and avatar--would have expected this two parter to end with "Yeah, mentals, they're literally worthless, am I right?" is beyond me. Some of the arguments were a tad flawed as well ("Yes Crankcase has mental issues as well but...err...he doesn't count").

So the fact the conclusion makes exactly the same point the people who had a go at Roberts were trying to articulate has a certain extra fission to it. Throw in the fact that, by mucking about with SPACE Wikipedia the Scavengers are literally internet trolls and I'd almost think he'd rewritten all the dialogue in the issue at the last second as a two fingered salute if not for the fact it should have been really obvious to everyone that this was how it was going to end.

The only really funny thing is these people would regard Warcry as a complete bastard for being on the "Sell Grimlock" side. Which is what we all suspected.

And I'm veering into smugness so just to reiterate again: This is a serious issue and people being passionate about it is understandable. And this comic handles it perfectly. One of the big issues with mental health issues is people are afraid to talk about it, Krok's best friends have no idea of the real depth of his pain and hopes and them actually sitting down and talking about it--and more importantly listening--is the key moment of the issue. I know Terome thought it somewhat overdone but it worked for me because it's not done nearly enough.

Fortress Maximus was also handled well as a PTSD sufferer, both with the acknowledgement that all the Transformers all equally messed up (something emphasised by Red Alert. Odds on the spelling mistakes in Declassified actually being important?) and in the fact this helps with his healing process as well.

I must admit that the ending did confuse me a bit as I'd completely forgotten the significance of the symbol (I'm just short of that issue in my read of the eighth trade). Go me and my faulty memory.

The main flaw is: Is Rung a bit of a shit psychiatrist? Fortress Maximus is clearly in no position to be left in charge of anything (even if in a nonsense "Give him something to do" job, it's hard to enforce the accord of a dead man who drilled holes in his head. Especially as it's a treaty between Autobots and Decepticons and the later at least aren't in any state to hold up whatever their side of the bargain was. Not that the Tyrest accord ever really made sense anyway...), let alone with lots of guns. How did Rung sign off on that? How many other "Basically decent" Decepticons have met horrible deaths as a result? The Scavengers actually do a better job of counselling him!

In fact, has Rung ever successfully helped anyone?
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

inflatable dalek wrote:The main flaw is: Is Rung a bit of a shit psychiatrist? Fortress Maximus is clearly in no position to be left in charge of anything... In fact, has Rung ever successfully helped anyone?
I think from his reactions Max is able to reason perfectly well. Despite three years of really hideous torture at Decepticon hands he’s able to agree with Rung and change both his outlook and treatment of Decepticons in the new post-war Universe. He’s also saved all those cute Pokemon robots and they love him; a killer of 10,000 robots from a single battle. I think Rung does a pretty damn good job and knows just how deeply his involvement should be. Even Whirl, in a roundabout way, said they were friends (that hostage issue is still utterly brilliant, an absolute favourite).

I still really enjoy the name shortening convention; Max and Red, and especially to have them working together. I’d say that is the risky move if anything, partnering a Paranoid android to a PTSD sufferer, but it looks like Max works really well with him, or rather the two together keep each other grounded. I don't think either of them exhibit their issues in this issue.

One thing that did bug me is the sheer amount of advertising pages in this issue; 13 pages! Glad it didn’t mean reducing the story itself, but my god. If it gets to over half the page count people might start confusing it with Cosmo or Vogue.
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

And what about Roadbuster and what he did to poor Radar? That easily puts him on a par with the DJD, and this after his tender treatment of Springer in a coma (I know I know, its serious).
Terome

Post by Terome »

Auntie Slag wrote:And what about Roadbuster and what he did to poor Radar? That easily puts him on a par with the DJD, and this after his tender treatment of Springer in a coma (I know I know, its serious).
Yeah man, that was really nasty. The idea of him being jazzed on robo-meth at the time was also pretty surprising.
Dalek: One of the big issues with mental health issues is people are afraid to talk about it, Krok's best friends have no idea of the real depth of his pain and hopes and them actually sitting down and talking about it--and more importantly listening--is the key moment of the issue. I know Terome thought it somewhat overdone but it worked for me because it's not done nearly enough.
I'm eager for it all to be explored like this, it was Krok's almost fourth-wall breaking moment that I think pushed it slightly outside my tastes. I guess it felt a bit... Russell T. Davis? Roberts is keen on him so that is probably praise but for me I always get the desire to edit out just a line or two in the name of some subtlety.
Slag again: I think from his reactions Max is able to reason perfectly well. Despite three years of really hideous torture at Decepticon hands he’s able to agree with Rung and change both his outlook and treatment of Decepticons in the new post-war Universe.
I think it's also worth remembering that even if Rung wanted Max detained, he has no legal recourse to enact that if Rodimus or whoever doesn't agree. They don't really have laws and due process any more and if Max wants to gun people down in the style of Frank Castle then there isn't anything to stop him from doing so.

Is the Grand Architect growing humans?
Death's Head
Protoform

Post by Death's Head »

My thoughts from elsewhere:

Is the 'Grand Architect' some kind of Leige Maximo-esque figure, perhaps? With a plan to grow a new race of 'Cybertronians' (maybe techno-organic, from what we've seen so far on the crashed Worldsweeper, and the end of this issue?)? It's the line 'haven't we moved on from all that?' that makes me think - very reminiscent of Jhiaxus's claim in the old Marvel G2 comics to be beyond the concept of Autobot and Decepticon, with the G2 comic of course being a big influence on James' writing.
SMITH
Portfolio | Blog | Freelance Agent Brompton Rhodes - Guns, Girls and Gorillas!
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Terome wrote:Is the Grand Architect growing humans?
Human’s with lights in heir palms like in Logan’s Run! And Holy crap, I didn’t notice it the first time round, but the Scavengers are in so much trouble! Just when I love them more than ever (he knows how to twist that knife!) That little panel where Max arrives on the WAP and calls out Grimlock; and Grimlock is holding a pen, which in itself is brilliant (proving beyond a doubt that T-Rex’s COULD do something with those stubby little arms). But he has an incredibly evil expression on his Dino face, and he’s drawn that symbol that relates to the Grand Architect, suggesting he’s been playing it dumb all this time with the Scavengers and will know exactly when to sell them up the river.

Some excellent references in this issue that I loved:
  • Fort Max parodying a Bill Hicks sketch (America acting like John Wayne to the rest of the world “He had a gun”).
  • Misfire’s ‘Full retard’ pisstake from Tropic Thunder, or should that be Tropic Thunderwing!
And Spinister’s little kisses at the end of his note :)

So Fort Max was right, he should have taken Grimlock in. There might be a lot of death’s about to occur because he chose to play it civil with the Scavengers rather than a thug warden with PTSD. That there Grimlock is thoroughly evil!

Which raises more questions; was Overlord in league with the Grand Architect that he handed over Grimlock for some especially nasty experiments? Did the Grand Architect have something on Overlord? How many personalities are in Grimlock’s head?

Can Spinister save them all? Is he an earlier experiment by those who tinkered with Grimlock?

What IS the code in Ironfist's datalogs? Perhaps Roberts is challenging the readers to re-arrange those two clues that Red told Max?And clue’s about what? Did Ironfist know something about the Grand Architect in his readings about the Primal Vanguard that linked Delta Magnus to the DJD, Skids, Ultra Magnus and Overlord?

[Edit]: Here's the upper case letters extracted from Spinister's note to Max:

UNIOKARSBOLRA SPNTER

I'm wondering if it's a Countdown anagram?