Prepare to face Podcast Maximus!

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Selkadoom

Post by Selkadoom »

StoneCold Skywarp wrote:The problem there, selkadoom, is licensing.

Hence go royalty free, there's plenty electronic style stuff on there if someone's prepared to go through them.

I like it in the shadows. It's cosy and not as moist as you'd expect.
That is true but fan covers are generally ignored in that regard.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PSN ID: Selkadoom13
Steam: Scruffy.j2
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Heavily edited post for reasons that are just odd.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Hound

Post by Hound »

I have to agree with Dalek here. This is not going to be a professional sounding podcast. None of us have the money for that.

This is going to be a few of us fans talking about whatever Transformers related topics we've decided we're discussing that episode. Trying our best to stay on topic and have fun with it.

And not talk over eachother. I so hate it when hosts talk over eachother.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Auntie Slag wrote:Podcast title ideas:

- Robots that change their outward appearance.
- More than meets the ear.
- Ch ch ch ch changes.
- Podcast through tyranny.
Like the middle two :up:

Last one, while cool sounding, could attract the wrong crowd or give the wrong impression :lol:
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

A professional sounding podcast can be done by almost anyone and it doesn’t cost money. A good execution with some thought and a decent team working on it are more important, I think that's what a lot of people don't have. If you have reasonable laptop with a mic built-in, a quiet room and you keep yourself the right distance from the mic then you’re halfway there. Recording can be done for free and uploaded to a shared Dropbox account.

From there a team could put all the bits together, edit and adjust sound levels as necessary and publish the finished podcast to the Archive. The bit where most people fail is because they twitter on for too long about nothing and no-one can be bothered to edit, and typically one person will be sitting as far away from the mic as possible, talking through a sock.

Oh yeah, and the talking over each other, god that wastes so much time. And they usually want to say the same thing! The most anyone might have to pay is the cost of a shareware recording program.
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Knightdramon wrote:Last one, while cool sounding, could attract the wrong crowd or give the wrong impression :lol:
Oh god that's true. Don't need no poets and miners here!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Would recommend a USB mic if laptop or jack ones pick up interference. But at a guess phones/tablets have that covered if the intention is to do something like record with video on Skype so that there are visual cues to avoid interrupting and edit audio afterwards.

Wouldn't imagine shareware/commercial products are necessary with Audacity available. Or it's not intended for multi track editing, so it's almost like splicing tape, but there's always good old CoolEdit96. (Hmm, never realised that eventually became Adobe Audition. Or if I did it's been long-forgotten.)
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Cant we just use soundwave?

I'll get my coat....
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

- RadioheadMasters.
- Robot Points of View.
- Mint in Podcast.
- Change is as good as a rest.
- Podcast Maximus.
- Cybertron Legacy.
- Robot cereal.
- Bucketheads.
- Inside Vector Sigma Smith.
- Traanis-missions
- I am a Furman in love: Barbara Streisand's Guide to Transformers.
- Fusion canon.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

I also like the sound of "Big Broadcast of 201X".

Either that or "Talk! Mediocre Human No-Life Transformers".
Hound

Post by Hound »

I like "Podcast Maximus"
Sades

Post by Sades »

Traanis-missions. :lol:

Or robot cereal. That sounds like a fun morning show.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Hound wrote:I like "Podcast Maximus"
I CONCUR. "Internet, prepare to face PODCAST MAXIMUS!" *Sunbow dramatic sting, sound of dweeb pressing buttons*
Selkadoom

Post by Selkadoom »

Hound wrote:I like "Podcast Maximus"
I like it too.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PSN ID: Selkadoom13
Steam: Scruffy.j2
inflatable dalek

Auntie Slag wrote:A professional sounding podcast can be done by almost anyone and it doesn’t cost money.
I think you're slightly underestimating the amount of work that has to go into these things, don't forget the reason Underbase is cutting drastically back is because the hosts don't have the time in their own lives to keep it up to that standard anymore, and we're all at least as busy as they are. From following various people on twitter and facebook, doing it well does take a huge amount of time and effort, especially with the post production editing.

It'll be people talking toot for an hour or so, as long as it's vaguely coherant I think it'll be OK even if it's not up to professional podcast levels (we'd never equal a BBC podcast for example, if nothing else they're an edited highlights package of a much longer show).

That's not to do down the plans or sound pessimistic, it's just I don't think we want to shoot too high. Especially on the first few.

All being well, Terome and I are going to try experiment with talking to and recording at some point in my fortnight off, if we wind up with something vaguely not awful we might even put it out as a test (I've not told him that yet, it's a fun surprise!).
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Just make sure to advertise your book ��
inflatable dalek

Did somebody mention A BOOK?
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Admittedly I've only skimmed the posts in question, but I get the impression there's some crossed-purposes going on in regards to "not Professional Level" equating to "sounding like it's been made in a shed with a tape recorder".

There's a difference between wanting it to sound like the most polished thing in the world, and just wanting it to sound as good as possible given the available resources. Nobody wants to hear "well we're not professionals" as an excuse for Radio Ed Wood. Not that I think anybody's saying that, but things seem to be veering toward Binary Argument territory when there's plenty of middle ground to be had.

Just because it's not being done professionally doesn't mean it has to sound like a bunch of amateurs. Professional-sounding DNE professional. Fake it until you make it, etc and so on.

If I've misread the situation, just feel free to ignore me. It's the best thing to do anyway.
inflatable dalek

Oh I'm certainly over compensating too much in the other direction, mainly because it won't be me doing most of the work and I don't want to break the poor buggers doing the bulk of the talking/editing.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

So long as everyone speaks clearly and into the microphone, it'll all be gold. So long as there's someone hosting to stop things running on and on and on into uncomfortable silences...oh, and it doesn't become self indulgent. Not that I find anyone on here to be egotistical, but some of the folks out there in podcast land grind my gears with their inflated sense of their own importance.