Prepare to face Podcast Maximus!

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Yeah, if we can nail the technical aspects and set aside enough time for the editing then that would be a massive, massive leap over most podcasts.

This would leave a path clear for the all-important hosts to develop their styles and voices. Most people take a good while to find their natural rhythm. So Mr Skyquake, for example, could end up orating like Ian McKellan by episode 24 :-) I'm sure you sound sexy as hell already Skyquake, but you know what I mean. And if you're happy to beat the others savagely for over-indulgence, I'm happy to help put in all the hours Allah sends to edit out the uncomfortable silences :)
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

I've always felt podcasts follow a curve - initial episodes are a bit stuffy as presenters find their voice (as Slag points out) and the tech and format are nailed down, then we get the sweet spot where there is a natural flow to things and the podcast has its own character. Than (and not always) is the fall, where the podcast becomes too aware of what people liked about it and the pandering begins.

Still, I'd be very much into listening to this podcast if only to put some more voices to profiles here (Thanks to his youtube vids I know Dalek, but thats all) and regardless of reviews, the debates about MTMTE on here are usual very interesting so I reckon there should be the bones of a good panel.

Just dont do this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqtSDE261fQ

Also:
inflatable dalek wrote:Did somebody mention A BOOK?
Just ordered. Better be lots of new content... :)
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Re: The youtube vid - Ah Dave, that's classic!
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

As much as I love to ramble on I don't have a recording voice.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Well CDX usually talk about their newest reviews in their podcasts (I think), so maybe that's something you could do, too...
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

From what I've listened to also. If it's a 2 person podcast then it's possible that both can lead the conversation to a point. A 3 person podcast tends to work better with 1 person steering the ship and 2 opinionists (you get what I mean) and 4 person tends to have elements of both (2 lead at points and 2 offer flavour/opinion).

Oh look, a slinky...!
Hound

Post by Hound »

These were all points I was going to make also...
Sades

Post by Sades »

So I bought a new microphone headset to cancel out ambient noise, and so that I don't spend my time on Skype yelling into the mic. To test it, I got Hound to log on in the bedroom on his computer. We've been talking for like a half hour now...

Is that sad?

edit: It is now officially sad. He's just saying "POOPERRRRR" over and over again... I am countering with "SCOOPERRRRR"
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Podcast gold!
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Skyquake87 wrote:Podcast gold!
I misread that as "poopcast gold".

It begins.
Sades

Post by Sades »

No, no. God, no. Trust me, no.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Who would be interested in being a voice and who would be a back-room, 40-a day editor with a latent heart condition?

Also, would the episode content be clearly broken up, much like the forum itself e.g. an Ident/sting to indicate its time for the RPG, or the new toys section for example?

Who do people make their nominations to?
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

*throws hat in the ring*

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

Have any of the staffers, who are probably working on this in the background, came up with a format or idea of how many people there would be on it, how many hosts? I think once that's down then the host/hosts can work a loose structure from that?

In a specific interest podcast (mostly 40k ones I listened to) they tended to have an announcements section at the start (so could be site updates, new content etc) then a dedicated topic (whatever is going on at the time) then an anything else section at the end.

I think a podcast that would go released only to a test audience might be an idea to see how things flow once a "cast" has been assembled and for constructive criticism.

this is also the most I've visited and posted in a topic in years.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Terome and I will be doing a test recording on Friday afternoon, just to see if we can as much as anything. It'll have a subject (Auto Assembly! Probably more about Terome's first time experiences as I've waxed very lyrical already) so if it's not terrible it will probably be going up as the "Pilot", possibly with other stuff recorded by others to make it a multi subject show, that all depends on the length (and it's not something we've really talked about yet).

I think with all of us being in different time zones and very busy, format and number of presenters for the regular show will be pretty flexible by necessity.

Tomorrow will be mainly about me putting Skype on my PC (technically I could do it on my tablet--which would have the advantage of video rather than just the audio so Terome could look at my lovely face as we recorded--but if we do comic reviews I'll need the tablet to reference the issues!) and getting it and the fancy pants headphone mike I've just bought to work.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
inflatable dalek

For those awaiting this with baited breath, we have recorded!

Terome is editing our waffle down and then there's some additional work to be done introducing (because we still don't have a name and there may be some additional content) and goodbying it (because we were insane crazy people by the end there and totally failed to do anything that sounded like English), but we have at least the bare bones of a podcast.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Podcast Maximus Episode 1

AUTOASSEMBLY 2015: Terome talks about what it was like to be a first time convention attendee at the last Auto Assembly and we ask whether James Roberts can crush a man's skull with his mighty hands. We're sorry about the sound problems with this episode.

http://tfarchive.com/fandom/features/po ... sode_1.mp3
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

A few sound problems in the recording but things should get better now there's a pilot done and folk are getting used to microphones, software, etc.

I believe other people have plans to record this weekend and during the week, so a standard format may emerge, but for the moment it's going to be people discussing TF (and possibly other) stuff that interests them without too many guidelines and we'll see how that goes.
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

Turns out I've been pronouncing Denyer wrong in my head for years.

Also I wanna make a Transformers zine now.
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

Cool
Come on and wind me up.
inflatable dalek

electro girl wrote:Turns out I've been pronouncing Denyer wrong in my head for years.

Also I wanna make a Transformers zine now.
We usually pronounce it "Sir".