Prepare to face Podcast Maximus!

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Answers to listeners' questions! Some form of mailbag thing where I write in and say how the show's rubbish and you have to read it out and agree with me. Or something. Other people can obviously write in and say the show's rubbish too, but I'm happy to do it if nobody else has.

Or a spot where a listener suggests a topic and then you all have to talk about it for five minutes and whoever has the worst opinion gets voted off the island.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Ultimately, I'd be most interested in something akin to Cracked's After Hours. Most of the minutae has been covered to death several times over, but if you find a way to tie it together and make an overall point about Transformers as a whole, that's what's going to set you apart.

As for the RPG stuff Selkadoom brought up, as someone who's never had much of anything to do with it, I can tell you that you're going to probably be disappointed if you're expecting a recap to bring in new players. Seems like anyone who has any interest is already a part of it to some degree already.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Synergizing of esoteric aspects of the brand? I can help with that.
Selkadoom

Post by Selkadoom »

Dead Man Wade wrote:Ultimately, I'd be most interested in something akin to Cracked's After Hours. Most of the minutae has been covered to death several times over, but if you find a way to tie it together and make an overall point about Transformers as a whole, that's what's going to set you apart.

As for the RPG stuff Selkadoom brought up, as someone who's never had much of anything to do with it, I can tell you that you're going to probably be disappointed if you're expecting a recap to bring in new players. Seems like anyone who has any interest is already a part of it to some degree already.
I can see your point but I was thinking maybe the podcast would draw more new eyes to the sight and such. Its rare that my cynical facade breaks to show such optimism but here's hoping.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PSN ID: Selkadoom13
Steam: Scruffy.j2
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

So looking at the feedback, we're probably not going to do something that will please everyone (unless we can come up with a tightly focused short esoteric wide ranging podcast), but we're going to mull things over and start experimenting with Skype recordings and so on (Slag and Terome--and indeed anyone else who fancies taking part--if you PM your Skype handles to Clay he's currently having a fiddle to see what works).

EDIT: Oh, and Sades and Hound are only allowed to do Transformers themed love poetry. "Let me compare thee to a Michael Bay" and so on.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

"Let me compare thee to a Michael Bay ,BOOM! Kapow! SKRAGADOOOOOM! Peeow! Zap!"
Sades

Post by Sades »

inflatable dalek wrote:Let me compare thee to a Michael Bay
Oh my god.

I so want to write that poem...
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

inflatable dalek wrote:Whilst I think being to the point is a good idea, let's face it, there's no way a typical conversation around here on MTMTE will last for less than an hour.
Eh, I think you'd be amazed how short that sort of thing would be in this medium, or at least how quickly people would stop listening after more than 3-4 minutes on one narrow subject, especially if it's just the usual devalued gushing praise from the Cult of Roberts.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I'm probably not representative (the only things I get chance to listen to in the way of podcasts is some of the Richard Herring ones, and even that's more a case of switching on, tuning out and at some point realising it's finished) but the only people I'd listen to talking at that sort of length about comics would generally be the authors, and only if they had something particular to say. Robert LLewellyn's Carpool episodes run to about 30mins max with -- and I'm not saying you're all dull ****ers -- really interesting and varied people.

Other than those my listening's usually shorter YT videos. I've lost track of how many TV series I've started and have no idea which episode I got to in.

A mix of a regular show with segments about a range of topics plus some longer form specials with more in-depth discussion seems like it could work. Depends what sort of audience(s) you're going for.

edit:
Arkast
It's not very clear as a name. Even spelling it out as "Ark-kast" or "Ark-cast" doesn't convey Transformers. Plus people are likely to spell out what it is, so "the Arkast podcast" sounds redundant.

"Moonbase Podcast" worked without being too copyright infringe-y. Maccadam's is taken, yeah? If there's a comics slant or you're seriously going to air love poetry, Innermost Energon might be worth considering before someone else nabs it?

edit2: Plus it'd be an excuse for drinking.
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

Have a pre-determined time frame in mind, 45-60 minutes is good and usually has enough time space to get points across, get side tracked and bring it back around again.
I listen to 3-4 podcasts regularly and they all generally run about that time, anything longer (longest one I ever listened to was 3 hours and it was tantamount to torture) is too much. People, like myself, tend to listen to podcasts on commute to/from work or when they're doing something else.
Have a loose theme for the show, but don't try to stick to it hard and fast, let conversation flow whatever way it goes.
Check out http://incompetech.com/music/ for some royalty free intro/outro music too. Don't have more than 3-4 people on and don't talk over each other if you can avoid it.

Decide early if you're going Universal or 18+ too...or middle ground, more nudity than a 12A would allow, less violence than a 15 would suggest ;)

I also did a lot of sound editing in college, I can't imagine it's changed too much if anyone needs help there.

*skulks back to the shadows*
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

If its a mix of everything here, maybe The Transformers Archive Podcast would suffice? Its really boring and unimaginative, but it may convey that the podcast reflects what you can expect to find here.

It would show us using two mediums portraying our subject in a different way. Maybe the unique selling point would be that here is a podcast using the branches of its community first and foremost. Not just four guys in a tin box laughing exaggeratedly at each others comments.

Totally agree with Skywarp's length (Oo-er!) It would need to be policed too, a lot of those Underbase episodes talked interminably about non-Transformers stuff before finally getting around to the subject title e.g. RID Issue 14.

Anyone can make a shite, meandering podcast with crap sound. It takes strength, intelligence, speed, endurance, rank, courage, firepower and skill to make a concise, listenable one.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

That last paragraph is gold. Well done auntie.
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

How cool it would be to hear a Transformers podcast that has the production value of a BBC one? It wouldn't be impossible. Someone in this thread mentioned Chris McFeely being the star voice of the Underboss podcast. He definitely brought the best value and had the most interesting things to say.
Selkadoom

Post by Selkadoom »

I agree that 45 to 60 is good length in terms of time. Though I feel the intro/outro music should be relevant somehow to TF. Whether it's as simple as one of you drunkenly yammering the G1 theme to an orchestral rendition of The Touch It'd help. And I know that feeling of going to the end of a podcast ro hear less than 2 minutes on the title topic.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PSN ID: Selkadoom13
Steam: Scruffy.j2
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

The problem there, selkadoom, is licensing.

Hence go royalty free, there's plenty electronic style stuff on there if someone's prepared to go through them.

I like it in the shadows. It's cosy and not as moist as you'd expect.
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Podcast title ideas:

- Robots that change their outward appearance.
- More than meets the ear.
- Ch ch ch ch changes.
- Podcast through tyranny.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Maybe you could get away with "[recreation of the transformation sound effect] Changes" ?
Sades

Post by Sades »

Soundwaves.

Soundcast? Never mind, googled, someone sort-of using that one. Still prefer first one, anyway.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

The Big Broadcast [of 201x]?
Sades

Post by Sades »

Denyer wrote:The Big Broadcast [of 201x]?
Ooh, I like it :up:

Hasn't that sort of been used as well, though? Or am I misremembering?